SERVICE - All
2587 13 2014-10-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Ive started this thread to enquire as to the recommended service periods for all the various gear.

Motors
Props
Batteries
Esc's
ETC..

What kind of methods do you employ to service your Phantoms.?
What timescale do you give to your service routines.?

Do you lubricate your motors?
Best tips and tricks for full Phantom care required.
2014-10-26
Use props
robbin.bergqvis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 59839 ft

Croatia

Haha, i was thinking about this today ☺
But i did not find anything about overhaul on google.

I find it hard to imagine that the motors can go on for eternity.
2014-10-26
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Basic pre-flight checks should be good enough.
Nothing in the phantom can be "serviced"
Do you lubricate the motors in your desk fan or washing machine ?
2014-10-26
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2014-10-27 08:04
Do you lubr ...

HI, errr yes I do,  If you seriously believe that nothing is serviceable then fine, that's your opinion, please don't try and crush a thread due to your ignorance or lack of knowledge.

Its all dependant on a persons involvement and technical abilities with such products,  to me ,  a battery is serviceable,  yes.... changing the cells etc.. despite being told its not serviceable......
Am I a rebel......{:3_41:}

Motor life can be prolonged with lubrication of bearings{:3_50:}
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/s ... 1818432&page=90  <<<Is that a DJI phantom??

There are many other forums with a hell of lot more experience in servicing RC parts etc..
You may wish to check them out.....

For those that do perform routine servicing etc..  please feel free to comment.
2014-10-26
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

I am entitled to voice my opinion just as much as you are.
So you regularly service your desk fan, well good for you, if it makes you happy then go for it, but it is NOT necessary.
So forgive my "ignorance and lack of knowledge" and please explain your Phantom service seclude to all our dear readers, do you have a service book and a stamp made up, I bet you do....lol
2014-10-26
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2014-10-27 08:42
I am entitled to voice my opinion just as much as you are.
So you regularly service your desk fan, w ...

I think I clearly said you have your opinion, now go and play somewhere else if you can not contribute in a more positive and respectable manner.
Please don't be so stupid as to think I have a service book,  its all digital these days..... x{:2_30:}

Now if you don't mind Ive a washing machine to attend to... the thing just wont fly.....
2014-10-26
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

You are the one who is being disrespectful, stating that I am ignorant, have a lack of knowledge and now stupid, you don't seem to have a very friendly attitude to other users on this forum who don't blindly follow your point of view.

Resorting to name calling so early on in this thread hardly helps your cause
2014-10-26
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2014-10-27 08:58
You are the one who is being disrespectful, stating that I am ignorant, have a lack of knowledge and ...

My sincere apologies if I have offended your delicate and practical sensibilities.

Please feel free to tell me what is and is not serviceable with your obviously superior and non sarcastic manner.

Im so sorry I misunderstood your comments to be demoralising and borderline insulting with reference to my standards of service and what I should be recording in such services.

I would also like to apologise for making this thread which in turn provoked you to comment with such a nice and informative opening introduction.........
Do you lubricate the motors in your desk fan or washing machine ?

I hereby wish to declare that all such comments made in respect to johnwarr@live.co.uk be retracted and in no way are an actual representation of his/her actual status.
I would also like to inform interested parties that johnwarr@live.co.uk is not stupid, does not lack knowledge and is in no way Ignorant.
Should my future terminology offend any such persons I would like you to understand that I am in no way being offensive or insulting and rather than subject yourself to such atrocities I would advise you to not participate in any of my postings.

Now if your satisfied with my numerous and most sincere apologies please move along...
2014-10-26
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

mixstreme Posted at 2014-10-27 09:17
My sincere apologies if I have offended your delicate and practical sensibilities.

Please feel fr ...

And yes I lied,  I don't have a desk fan, I'm not that posh or ever that warm...{:3_42:}
2014-10-26
Use props
Eirlink
lvl.4

Ireland

the bearings in the phantom series motors are actually E300 Tuned propulsion type ( in new phantoms ) and are sealed. i would not recommend you use any lubricant near these bearings, as there is actually no need to, and furthermore some lubricants will stress the plastic hull and cause fracturing.
if you have bearing issues, replace the bearing or the motor. Ive replaced bearings as part of my normal routine checks. ive done this across many of my aircraft, bit mostly on the older red can motors.
now all my aircraft are running the e300 motors ( phantoms, f450 x2 , f550 and f550 A2 , exo 440 ).
the e300 kits are superb and run really quiet and smooth.
all will be upgraded shortly to the new 300 motors due out next week.

apart from that, the only other check i do on motors is to inspect the eclip holding the prop shaft in place against the bell housing.
this can become dislodged and if it does the motor can come apart not pretty in flight. although the naza v2 on a hex has redundancy to remain in flight if controlling a hex.

as for phantoms, check the hull screws are not missing and are tight, as well as checking the motor mounting screws being tight.
Run an IMU calibration any time your AUW changes, and do a compass calibration ( outside !! ) every time you change flight location.
Lastly, check your props are balanced reguarly. if they are not balanced, then balance them using a DuBro blancer OR replace them with genuine DJI ones. Again the props in the E300 kit are perfectly balanced from the factory . ive tested dozens and NONE were off balance.
Dont forget unbalanced props cause vibration and FCs DO NOT like vibraton folks..makes the internals " itchy"

and please less of the head to heads
2014-10-26
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Eirlink Posted at 2014-10-27 09:53
the bearings in the phantom series motors are actually E300 Tuned propulsion type ( in new phantoms  ...

Seriously my apologies, Ill play nice.  
Thankyou for a great worthwhile and practical comment. Great stuff..
2014-10-26
Use props
Eirlink
lvl.4

Ireland

no probs....

also in relation to doing calibrations, there are a few ground rules sometimes missed by folk...

IMU CALIBRATIONS
Please ensure you do an IMU calibration on a LEVEL Surface.
Also ensure the surface you conduct the calibration on is VIBRATION FREE for the duration of the calib
Lastly, do the basic calibration first and then perform an advanced one, regardless of if the assistant tells you its not needed. The assistant is not the boss, you are !

COMPASS CALIBRATIONS
Please ensure you conduct compass calibrations OUTDOORS ! you be surprised how many poeple do these indoors, near PCs, Radiators, kitchen appliances, TVs etc...bizzare. Remember OUTDOORS
Also ensure you do the compass calibration away from parked vehicles, metal objects etc and remove coins, cell phones etc form pockets. The compass in these aircraft is VERY sensitive !
lastly, and this especially relates to the phantom series.....keep in mind the compass is VERY low on the landing gear and thus is almost on the ground...SO please avoid concrete bases, paths etc as these contain reinforced steel ( rebar ). doing a compass calibration that close to rebar is asking for trouble.
Always be aware of your surroundings when calibrating the compass. I always lift my aircraft up 4-5 feet in the air when doing mins and this has served me well.
and one other point, you must ALWAYS calibrate the compass after travelling in a vehicle. your aircrft is in a metal container for the journey and you know the rest.
Finally if youre buying a travel case for your aircraft, please buy a plastic one.!

fly safe folks....
2014-10-26
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

Thank you mixstreme, apology accepted.
While we wait for you to detail the service procedure that you use, I will share with you my basic three pre-flight checks that are in my opinion all you need to do on a regular basis.
1. Check propellers for any signs of damage.
2. Check motors spin freely.
3. Check battery for signs of swelling or damage and contacts are clean.

Then continue to the normal before flight checks.
2014-10-27
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2014-10-27 16:04
Thank you mixstreme, apology accepted.
While we wait for you to detail the service procedure that yo ...

The list below is what I have followed and was collated from another forum as per the given interpretation of the warranty..
But the Author is Snewton, alive and well here in this forum....
His Kitchen table has served me well.

THIS LIMITED WARRANTY SHALL NOT APPLY IF THE DEFECT WAS CAUSED BY ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:
• The alleged defects:
• Does not exist; or
• Misused by the end users or any third party, which makes it unrepairable ; or
• Failure by improper use or installation, modification,(such as tearing or removing the security label seal and opening or removing the covers), failure to conduct regular maintenance.
• Products are not sold in a brand new condition.
• Failed to follow the product instructions and manual.
• The damage is resulting from the use of the product in a manner other than their normal and customary manner.

BEFORE & AFTER EVERY FLIGHT
* Check condition of props (run finger along leading and trailing edges, flex both blades to check for hairline cracks);
* Check motor shafts have no free play (missing E clip? Loose bell housing screw? Bad bearings?);
* Check motors move freely when spun by hand;
* Check condition of battery spade connectors and data pins (level, free movement, clean);
* Check camera mounts are secure (and any other attachments, e.g. Flytrex core);
* When powered up and idling confirm no unusual noise or vibration from motors.

EVERY WEEK or EVERY 10 FLIGHTS, WHICHEVER SOONER
* Visual inspection of shell and other plastic components for cracking/damage (landing skids, camera mounting plates, etc.);
* Check tightness of motor retaining screws and shell retaining screws (both 2.0mm hex);
* Clean data spring pins and battery contact pads with alcohol and swab or proprietary electrical contact cleaner and cycle spring pins several times to check for spring weakness and full unimpeded travel;
* Plug in to Vision Assistant and check tx & IMU calibration state and all battery cells have good balance (repeat for all batteries);
* Check batteries for number of cycles and discharge per DJI recommendations if required.

EVERY MONTH or EVERY 40 FLIGHTS, WHICHEVER SOONER
* Remove upper shell and check state of all wiring - plugs fully seated, condition of all solder joints, condition of visible circuit boards and wiring runs, internals generally clean and no debris/loose items.
* Remove motors and check security of E clips, condition of bearings and general visual inspection.
* Remove rubber cover from Vision camera servol mounting point and check tightness of the small cross-head screw.

Obviously as we learn more about our environmental variables, that affect us all in different ways, we can adopt someone else's ideas or tips.

2014-10-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules