Stopping the props
11791 14 2015-5-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rbarbour
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103222 ft
United States

"Method 2: When the aircraft has landed, push and hold the throttle down. The motors will stop after three
seconds."  Is there a way to disable this? I'm worried about doing this by mistake and having the bird fall
out of the sky.

2015-5-4
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

Push and hold the throttle down in mid-air won't stop the motors, don't worry. It only works on the land.
2015-5-4
Use props
ara9112003
lvl.3
Flight distance : 495869 ft
United States

I was asking me the same question today
2015-5-4
Use props
paul
lvl.2

United States

Although DJI-Autumn answered correctly, if you're like me you'd still be tempted to ask: "How does it know it's on the ground?"

The answer is that it observes that the altitude isn't dropping for 3 seconds.  It only kills the motors if it's trying to descend, but can't.  So the feature is safe.

2015-5-4
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

But how about doing the CSC (which starts and stops the motors by putting the sticks down and to the middle)? Can this be done in air, thereby shutting the engines off by mistake?

It is not that far fetched that you might put the sticks in the CSC-position. I've obviously never dared trying while in air.

I appreciate the ultimate option to shut off the motors for some unlikely emergency. I'm less comfortable IF it is as easy as doing the CSC. Hopefully the CSC also only works while on the ground?
2015-5-4
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-5 12:02
But how about doing the CSC (which starts and stops the motors by putting the sticks down and to the ...

Another question that is answered by the manual

You're unlikely to accidentally CSC in flight.
Think about what kind of moves you'd be attempting if you did.
2015-5-4
Use props
RuneW
lvl.1

Norway

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2015-5-5 13:18

Unlikely isn't good enough. It happened to this guy:

The story does not thell if he did it on purpose, but shouldn't it be prevented like the throttle down and hold?

2015-5-4
Use props
nurzia
lvl.2

United States

On my personal opinion the manual miss the info to use this drone just with 18+ ages and not drunk ;-)
2015-5-4
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Honestly, it was a bit of a rethorical question on my part to raise a debate about it because I did read it in the manual for the P2V+

I find it borderline crazy that is is possible to accidentally shut off the engines by placing the sticks in a certain way.

I'll admit it has never been an issue in my probably 1-200 hours of P2V+ flying. But I still fail to see why the function is there. At least it would be nice if it was disabled by default - or you and to do a CTRL+ALT-DEL complex-type move to engage the engine-shut-off in mid air.

It would be a strange move - going down while spinning/jaw'ing at full speed while going full speed back and to the left. But not impossible in case someone was attempting some radical maneuvers by just flicking the sticks around randomly.

RuneW posted a video below and what is mostly disconcerting about that is, that apparently he is not able to restart the motors. Because almost the only scenario where I see it making sense having the ability to shut off the motors while in flight is, if you've messed up and ended up way too high with way too little battery and you dont have enough battery to safely descend for a few minutes. OR if you suddenly spot a manned aircraft, Ultralight or similar in your flightpath and you don't know for sure if you can avoid a collision and need to drop FAST. In any case, it would be pretty much vital - for your equipment - that you're able to reengage the motors after a few seconds of free fall.

So let me add that last part to my question to DJI; can you restart if you happen to be up high enough and for some reason do the CSC and shut off the motors? Has anyone tried themselves - or seen videos of it tested?

I'd be happier if it worked like the "throttle down" which only shuts off the motors when you're on the ground (or hand-caught which I prefer).

Thanks
2015-5-5
Use props
imwhitey
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1921493 ft
  • >>>
United States

Watching this thread. Being able to "Accidentally" trigger a motor shutdown mid-air makes me very worried.
2015-5-5
Use props
me
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Using AeroSim Flight sim allows you to cut the motors at height and restart them and recover. It does take a lot of distance though. Don't know if it would work in the real world - I'm not going to try it! Me thinks the stresses on the props trying to stop a falling brick might be too great....
2015-5-5
Use props
Gary C
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1710938 ft
  • >>>
United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-5 12:02
But how about doing the CSC (which starts and stops the motors by putting the sticks down and to the ...

Yes, if you place both controllers down and facing inward, the motors will stop. I did this at 200' and tried to restart. It restarted just as it hit the ground. YUCK!
2015-5-5
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Gary C Posted at 2015-5-6 06:32
Yes, if you place both controllers down and facing inward, the motors will stop. I did this at 200 ...

I feel bad for you, Gary :-(  What where you flying? Total equipment loss?

Was it a mistake or did you do it to experiment?

Considering all the sometimes overly nanny-like initiatives taken by DJI to help their customers not have bad experiences that they have left in this dangerous thing.

...woah, iOS!!!!!
2015-5-5
Use props
Gary C
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1710938 ft
  • >>>
United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-6 13:16
I feel bad for you, Gary :-(  What where you flying? Total equipment loss?

Was it a mistake or di ...

200' up +- in my backyard over some woods. Crazy but only a few dings after all. Just updated everything and all is OK. My Vision 2+ is still in warranty repair in California...3 weeks....after the rear lights would not come on. Not even flown yet.
2015-5-8
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

That sounds extremely lucky. Good for you! :-)
2015-5-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules