Charger getting really hot!
6508 7 2019-4-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
greenbaron
lvl.2
United States

I think something is wrong with my charger.  I noticed it felt really hot when charging one battery, just unplugged it (it was flashing on the last quadrant so has been on awhile) because I used a temp gun to measure the temperature and it was 150F on the underside!  That’s pretty hot, although I couldn’t really find any reference that said what temperature is too hot for a charger.  Just “if it’s too hot to touch”.  Well, you can touch it, hold it, but it’s hot.  Anybody else had this issue?  I don’t feel too safe using this one anymore, sure would like to know what happened to it...   sure, it’s fairly warm in the house tonight, but 150F?  Seems an unsafe temperature to me.
2019-4-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Never had a DJI charger feel 150F hot.  

Does charger still get hot when it is not charging a battery?  

Does charger get hot when it is charging a different battery?
2019-4-30
Use props
greenbaron
lvl.2
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 4-30 18:53
Never had a DJI charger feel 150F hot.  

Does charger still get hot when it is not charging a battery?  

Just had not noticed it get this hot before, which made me go grab the temp gun and check it.  So I would say it has not done it before or with any other battery, and hasn’t been hot when not in use.  When I unplugged it and waited a bit, then checked it at 101F (which I think is a fairly normal temp for charging), I plugged it back in to finish the charge.  Interestingly, it didn’t heat up appreciably in the time remaining.  I guess I’ll just keep an eye on it for now, and will update if I notice anything more...
2019-4-30
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

The charger gets really hot, specially if you are also charging the remote simultaneously. What I do is put it sideways (less surface area) close to a window or fan. This keeps temperatures at bay... just don't forget not to leave the device charging unatended!
2019-5-2
Use props
greenbaron
lvl.2
United States

El Diabolico Posted at 5-2 05:50
The charger gets really hot, specially if you are also charging the remote simultaneously. What I do is put it sideways (less surface area) close to a window or fan. This keeps temperatures at bay... just don't forget not to leave the device charging unatended!

Yea, it does!  Today I charged a different battery, and just kept it on the table where I was working so I could keep track of it.  By the time it got up to the last quadrant blinking, it measured 134F on the underside of the charger.  I just let it continue, and as it neared the end of the cycle on that battery, the temperature had dropped back to 107F, still charging but with just minutes left.  So, I guess this is what it does.  I agree with you, I will never leave it unattended while charging!
2019-5-3
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

Yep, normal. As has been said, if charging a battery plus controller it gets even hotter.

2019-5-4
Use props
djiuser_qeBS3JQXpepp
New

Nigeria

It is normal for my dji mini 2 SE to be hot while plugged to charge and it’s still not showing the led light that it’s charging
What does it mean
2023-11-23
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_qeBS3JQXpepp Posted at 11-23 02:59
It is normal for my dji mini 2 SE to be hot while plugged to charge and it’s still not showing the led light that it’s charging
What does it mean

Hi there. Is it not charging after leaving it for an hour? Please ensure that the charging temperature range for the intelligent flight battery is within the required range: 5° to 40° C (41° to 104° F). Please keep me posted. Have a great day.
2023-11-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules