Stopping the motors
7610 22 2019-7-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nikolay Yordano
lvl.2
Flight distance : 108271 ft

Bulgaria

Hello all ! I'am new here and also new owner of Phantom 3 STD. I bought it yesterday and it is amazing but i read something witch bothers me a lot. The stopping motors procedure "method 2". Is there a way to disable that feature ? When i descending i always got scaried to pull the stick down, because of that. I couldn't find a thread on that theme, sorry if there i repeat a old thread.

screenshot of P3STD user manual

screenshot of P3STD user manual
2019-7-20
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Hi.

Don't worry about pulling the stick down.  Your drone's motors will not shut off while the drone is airborne.  The drone must be resting on the ground for the stick-down method to shut off the motors.  Furthermore, the stick down method is by far the best method to shut down the motors after landing.  The CSC method can cause the drone to tilt over.

Good luck.
2019-7-20
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi Nikolay. Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the Forum! As per our co-pilot Mark on the post #2, it will not shut down the motor. If you push the throttle stick down fully, the aircraft will descend quickly. It is recommended to push the throttle stick down gently to make the aircraft land slowly when the aircraft is flying in the line of sight. Should you have any other concerns please don't hesitate to reach us and we are more than happy to help you. Thank you and happy flying always!
2019-7-20
Use props
NM_Quad
lvl.4
United States

I mostly hand catch my Phantom 3S to keep dirt and sand blowing into the motors when landing on the ground - and thus use Method #2 most of the time with no problems.  When you let go of the sticks when flying, they will spring back to their center positions.  However, if you pull the left stick all the way to the bottom to descend, you will hear a "click" and the stick will stay in the bottom position to turn off the motors after about a 3 second delay.  Easy way to shut down the drone with one hand.  Should you accidentally move the left stick to the bottom position while flying, just move it out of the "click" towards the center.  You have 3 seconds to do that.  It is said the motors won't turn off in flight if you accidentally keep your left stick in the bottom position (Method 2) - but I have never tried that to see if true.  Just too scary to watch it drop like a rock if it doesn't.  Both CSC Method 1 and Method 2 work well.

Enjoy your P3S.  It's an old drone, but thousands of us (if not more) are still enjoying ours and making good videos.
2019-7-20
Use props
Nikolay Yordanov
lvl.2

Bulgaria

Thank you guys ! I'am calm now Tomorow will make my fourth flygt. NM_Quad yes it is scary to try it..  
2019-7-20
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Nikolay Yordanov Posted at 7-20 12:50
Thank you guys !  I'am calm now  Tomorow will make my fourth flygt. NM_Quad yes it is scary to try it..

You are very much welcome Nikolay Yordanov. If you have any other inquiries or concern with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and support you. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2019-7-20
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Czechia

The Standard is now the only Controller I know that has the 'click' at full left down stick.

The Click is purely a physical notification you have pulled it all way down and will stop motors as #2 says - when Flight Controller detects no further descent after 3 sec's. It will not stop motors in the air.

BUT the two stick CSC will stop motors in air or on ground ... so only use that in emergency ...
2019-7-21
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

Just some more useless info:  

Many but not all of the P2 Vision series have that "click" with full down left stick (not sure of the straight P2).  I don't know why some have it and some don't.  There's a small metal spring inside that's held in place by screws that enables it to work.  I've found that if you have an extra (bad) controller, you can steal that spring and install it on the OTHER side of your good controller - upside down - which makes the right side "click" in full forward position which is useful for fast out-and-back flights.  I also found that I could make it work on my P3P controller (GL300A) so that the right stick "clicks" and remains in full forward position.  I had to muck with it a little though.  Presumably, one could rig it on the left side too and have the "click" stick in place for a left stick down descent.  All you need is a dead controller that clicks that nobody wants.  :-D  

Good luck.
2019-7-21
Use props
Nikolay Yordanov
lvl.2

Bulgaria

Yes there is a physical click action on the left stick.. That help me to know when i should stop puling the stick. I know and understand the CSC... I just was a scaried to pull the stick full down, because I imagine how the drone fall as a brick
2019-7-21
Use props
NM_Quad
lvl.4
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 7-21 10:19
Just some more useless info:  

Many but not all of the P2 Vision series have that "click" with full down left stick (not sure of the straight P2).  I don't know why some have it and some don't.  There's a small metal spring inside that's held in place by screws that enables it to work.  I've found that if you have an extra (bad) controller, you can steal that spring and install it on the OTHER side of your good controller - upside down - which makes the right side "click" in full forward position which is useful for fast out-and-back flights.  I also found that I could make it work on my P3P controller (GL300A) so that the right stick "clicks" and remains in full forward position.  I had to muck with it a little though.  Presumably, one could rig it on the left side too and have the "click" stick in place for a left stick down descent.  All you need is a dead controller that clicks that nobody wants.  :-D  

I only have a P2V+ and the P3S.  Just checked.  The old P2V+ also has the "click" and detent on the left stick.  Can't speak for the P3A, etc.

Also my impression you can stop the motors in flight with a CSC, but not with the single stick method 2.  Just one of those things I've had no desire to test! and hope to keep it that way.  Though, when I hand catch, I shut down the motors with the single stick method after the 3 second delay.  The drone is about 5 feet above ground when I do that.  Always wondered if it senses it's close to ground or its vertical movement has stopped to enable motor shut down, or if it would shut down motors in flight as well.  Again, hope to never find out.  Just best to not find out.  I've seen very few posts of a Phantom just falling out of the air, especially due to an accidental CSC, so fortunately a rare occurrance and likely due to pilot error.
2019-7-21
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Throttle fully closed/down will NOT stop the motors if the drone is moving.
With a P3adv I have done long, 40ish seconds, purely vertical descents (max height) with the throttle fully closed/down all the way down and it has never shut off the motors. I have seen one post were someone tested this whilst holding the drone, providing the drone sensed movement it did not stop the motors.
2019-7-21
Use props
djiuser_wZP0ZvTfnPCN
lvl.1

United States

I have a Phantom 2 Vision + .    I cannot get any video from the camera.  I read someplace that you could "ping" a mac address to see if the video system was working.  I forgot where I read that. Could someone help me how I could figure out what & how do the "ping "  thing or any other help.   Thanks in advance.    John
2019-7-21
Use props
Nikolay Yordanov
lvl.2

Bulgaria

Sean-newbie I tested it while I holding the drone.. The motors stopped ! I'am not sure how realy fast should move, to prevent the faeture.. But in my first try it stopped. Will test it again when i can, but with faster movement. May be horisontal movement because I'am not quite tall
2019-7-22
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Czechia

Little bit of common-sense needed here I think ...

The P3S uses barometer to register pressure change for altitude ... its remarkable how good it can be ... BUT in the case of Nikolay testing by holding the P3S to see about the motor stop ... really - it needs a more thoughtful test.

The AC basically needs to be stationary for 2 - 3secs when using full stick down ...

Its interesting that on a boat which often is rocking or pitching even in calm waters because of people moving on it ... the AC will still shut down as long as movement is small. That could be similar amount to the person on land holding it. If the boat is moving significantly - then CSC may be needed when 'caught'.

Fact :

CSC (Two stick shut down) works in air / on ground - in all situations with a 2 - 3 sec delay. It is a purely emergency function that normally is not necessary to use.

Left Stick down (with or without Click) only works when Flight Controller detects the AC is stationary for 2 - 3 secs such as hand caught, landed on ground. It will NOT work in the air when free.
2019-7-22
Use props
Nikolay Yordanov
lvl.2

Bulgaria

Yes thats  why i said a movement..  When i holding it during the test, i was moving it down. But because I'am 1.73m tall and if i should move it for 3 socons the speed is slow I understand that the way, the drone know the altitude is pressure. And descending for the machine is changing the pressure upwards. Otherwise sayed, if the presure isn't changing for time period, that means no vertical movement

BTW I'am OK with that faeture now. Just when i read it, I imagined how the drone fall as a brick. But in mather of the curiosity i will do the test with horisontal movement. In that case the pressure should change, may be with quite small amplitude, but should change slight..
2019-7-22
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

djiuser_wZP0ZvTfnPCN Posted at 7-21 13:54
I have a Phantom 2 Vision + .    I cannot get any video from the camera.  I read someplace that you could "ping" a mac address to see if the video system was working.  I forgot where I read that. Could someone help me how I could figure out what & how do the "ping "  thing or any other help.   Thanks in advance.    John

A little off topic but, do you have the classic black screen?  That means everything works on the screen (e.g. altitude) except the FPV (video) itself.  PM me if you want.  
2019-7-22
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Czechia

Nikolay Yordanov Posted at 7-22 07:22
Yes thats  why i said a movement..  When i holding it during the test, i was moving it down. But because I'am 1.73m tall and if i should move it for 3 socons the speed is slow  I understand that the way, the drone know the altitude is pressure. And descending for the machine is changing the pressure upwards. Otherwise sayed, if the presure isn't changing for time period, that means no vertical movement  

BTW I'am OK with that faeture now. Just when i read it, I imagined how the drone fall as a brick. But in mather of the curiosity i will do the test with horisontal movement. In that case the pressure should change, may be with quite small amplitude, but should change slight..

Do not forget that you effectively have a 6 axis Flight Controller with additions ...

You have the 3 axis gyro ... 3 axis accelerometers  and then the Barometer / GPS / IMU ....

I am not sure - but I have a feeling that motor shut down may be inhibited by horizontal movement based on the accelerometers .... but I may be wrong.
2019-7-22
Use props
Nikolay Yordanov
lvl.2

Bulgaria

Yes it is possible you may be wrong,  may be not..  It is not so important to know, just I'am curious    And the result of my experiment will not prove nothing..  But my profesion is technirian in idustryal automation,  and i have natural curiosity for behavior of the gadgets :p
2019-7-22
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

For what it is worth I tried the hold it, move it, try and stop it, thing last night, I was sitting down.
The motors did shut off whilst gently moving the drone BUT if the movement was sufficient that the drone tried to counter it, i.e. the vibrations felt changed, it did not shut off. This would mirror what I see during a throttle closed, vertical descent where the drone can be seen to wobble as it presumably encounters some turbulence from its own prop wash or localised gusts.
Even if that test is inconclusive I also, last night, did a throttle fully closed all the way down from 50m to about 1.5m, 17 seconds by my count, as soon as I released the throttle the descent stopped.
2019-7-23
Use props
BarnSwallow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5076896 ft
  • >>>
United States

In Jun 2021 a video showed a stop motors option was available for C2 (3 position switch)  but it appears to be no longer available.    On my first flight, I watched as my drone hit the ground and proceeded to tear itself apart.   
2022-4-5
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

BarnSwallow Posted at 4-5 05:43
In Jun 2021 a video showed a stop motors option was available for C2 (3 position switch)  but it appears to be no longer available.    On my first flight, I watched as my drone hit the ground and proceeded to tear itself apart.

I've had unfortunate landings myself, even after lots and lots of practice on level ground with good satellites and plenty of years of experience.  So I've adopted the hand-catch method and haven't had any kind of problem since.  But I have Phantoms with nice long vertical legs to grab, so hand-catching might not be so wise for some of the other drones.  On the other hand, other drones may be easier to land on a flat surface because they're relatively flat on the bottom - without legs to make them top heavy like Phantoms.  Good luck.  
2022-4-5
Use props
anakondakz75
lvl.2
Flight distance : 65430 ft
Cyprus

DJI MINI 4 PRO.......Hello guys...I want to ask something as a newbie...In the menu Safety - Advanced Safety - Emergency Propeller stop there are 2 options, one is Anytime and Emergency only...I am thinking if during flight the poles are pressed wrongly if the propellers they stop...So how does the drone know if it's an emergency or not? Emergency only or anytime? i don't get it So if you press the stick combination the drone decides if it's an emergency or not and shuts down the engines?So, for an emergency, does the drone define what an emergency is?In a video they showed that the combo sticks don't work when you just fly normally.
.is I read all the notes to the end and I didn't know anything smart about how the two options work and what they are different..
1-27 06:58
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

If one is "Anytime" then that would actually be anytime before you took off or after you've landed.  "Anytime" won't work while you're aloft.  "Emergency" will work when you're aloft.  Or not.  Good luck
1-28 03:31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules