Why Don’t They make Larger Brackets?
11009 34 2020-8-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_weMunbXSlGSb
lvl.1
United States

The ongoing theme with DJI is to make a gimbal which has a bracket will not fit into a larger Phone with a case.
I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max, and I am not sticking ANYTHING on the back. The case is there for a reason.
Why they can’t make a bracket that fits a larger phone with a case is beyond me. I am using an Otterbox Commuter case which isn’t that big. But the bracket is maxed out and barely fits. And badly I might add.
Release a bracket that will fit larger phones.
2020-8-28
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, DJI OM4 is suitable for mobile phones with a width of 67-84 mm, a thickness of 6.9-10 mm, and a weight of 170-290g. Thanks for your suggestion, it will be noted down and forwarded to the related team.
2020-8-29
Use props
DrTek
lvl.1
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 8-29 01:00
Hi there, DJI OM4 is suitable for mobile phones with a width of 67-84 mm, a thickness of 6.9-10 mm, and a weight of 170-290g. Thanks for your suggestion, it will be noted down and forwarded to the related team.

To be blunt, this should have been “noted” several generations ago. Wouldn’t be hard for you to make a larger version. You just chose not to.
2020-8-29
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

DrTek Posted at 8-29 06:29
To be blunt, this should have been “noted” several generations ago. Wouldn’t be hard for you to make a larger version. You just chose not to.

Thanks for your feedback, DrTek. We'll forward it to the related team.
2020-8-29
Use props
darrins
lvl.4
United States

Rumor has it that the next iPhone 12 Pro Max will be slightly larger than the 11 Pro Max. Either way I think I will be going smaller for my next phone. The 11 Pro Max I have is too large in my opinion.
2020-8-30
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Perhaps big phones are too heavy for the motors, particularly when in a case.
2020-8-30
Use props
DrTek
lvl.1
United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 8-30 19:59
Perhaps big phones are too heavy for the motors, particularly when in a case.

Or. They could make a product that supports large phones. I wonder how it works with the new Note 20 Ultra.
2020-8-30
Use props
Cheesehead Media
lvl.2
Flight distance : 655121 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree with DJI needing to support larger phones in cases. The ONLY time I scratched my iPhone 7 Plus was because I dropped it putting it into my Mavic Pro Controller. I use Qi charging all the time so sticking a magnet onto the back of my phone IS NOT an option. If I know I will be out filming I'd be willing to swap cases BEFORE I left the house but that's about it. If I can't keep my phone in its case to use this product I'm not even going to bother buying one. I was burned upgrading to the Osmo Mobile 3; I'm not having that happen to me again.
2020-9-3
Use props
DrTek
lvl.1
United States

Cheesehead Media Posted at 9-3 19:11
I agree with DJI needing to support larger phones in cases. The ONLY time I scratched my iPhone 7 Plus was because I dropped it putting it into my Mavic Pro Controller. I use Qi charging all the time so sticking a magnet onto the back of my phone IS NOT an option. If I know I will be out filming I'd be willing to swap cases BEFORE I left the house but that's about it. If I can't keep my phone in its case to use this product I'm not even going to bother buying one. I was burned upgrading to the Osmo Mobile 3; I'm not having that happen to me again.

Agreed. I have the 11 Pro Max in a smaller Otterbox Commuter, and it’s STILL too big. I’m wondering if anyone had any luck with the Galaxy S20 Ultra or Note 20 Ultra.
I’ll be sending mine back.
2020-9-3
Use props
Decept1k0n
lvl.4
Flight distance : 375820 ft
  • >>>
United States

I too am a little irritated by this shortcoming.  I have an iPhone XS Max and can only use the magnetic clamp when there is no case on the phone.  

I tried the clamp with Moment’s photo case, which it seemed in other reviews didn’t seem to pose an issue but am not sure if that’s because it was on one of the smaller models.  Additionally, I have a fairly slim silicone case and this too seems to not work either which means I’d have to forgo the use of a case at all with this gimbal.

If DJI has no plans to make a magnetic clamp that will work on bigger phones with cases, I will definitely be returning this.  It is really disappointing at the moment as I do like the idea of directly mounting the phone to the gimbal rather than in an unremovable clamp which takes more effort.
2020-9-14
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

I agree 100%   I also have the iPhone 11 Pro Max and the only way to use the OM4 is without a case.  I have tried several phone cases including cheap thin ones and the clamp is too small.  I would think that people that use their phones to create video content would use bigger phones.  Even the OM3 has a better clamp so in a way it feels like a downgrade.  The OM4 has stronger motors so then let us utilize its potential.  DJI needs to see this and release a clamp for bigger phones.  I haven't been able to use the OM4 as much because I worry that my unprotected phone will detach from the magnet.  I trust in DJI to release something soon.  And please don't tell me to get a smaller phone or use the adhesive ring magnet.   
2020-9-15
Use props
DrTek
lvl.1
United States

Joemar7 Posted at 9-15 10:27
I agree 100%   I also have the iPhone 11 Pro Max and the only way to use the OM4 is without a case.  I have tried several phone cases including cheap thin ones and the clamp is too small.  I would think that people that use their phones to create video content would use bigger phones.  Even the OM3 has a better clamp so in a way it feels like a downgrade.  The OM4 has stronger motors so then let us utilize its potential.  DJI needs to see this and release a clamp for bigger phones.  I haven't been able to use the OM4 as much because I worry that my unprotected phone will detach from the magnet.  I trust in DJI to release something soon.  And please don't tell me to get a smaller phone or use the adhesive ring magnet.

Why they close to keep their head on the sand and just blow off users with larger phones is beyond me. And no one wants to put a sticker on the back of an unprotected phone that also negates wireless charging.
Whoever is in R&D need to be canned immediately. This could have been such a better product.
2020-9-15
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

DrTek Posted at 9-15 10:40
Why they close to keep their head on the sand and just blow off users with larger phones is beyond me. And no one wants to put a sticker on the back of an unprotected phone that also negates wireless charging.
Whoever is in R&D need to be canned immediately. This could have been such a better product.

I wonder the same thing.  I fear I might end up returning it.  No doubt that the OM4's magnet design sounded promising, but without a bigger clamp I see no benefit of upgrading from the 3.  Also, you're right about the lack of wireless charging option with the ring attached.  Out of all the osmo mobile gimbals I own, the OM4 is the most frustrating one so far.  
2020-9-15
Use props
DrTek
lvl.1
United States

Joemar7 Posted at 9-15 10:50
I wonder the same thing.  I fear I might end up returning it.  No doubt that the OM4's magnet design sounded promising, but without a bigger clamp I see no benefit of upgrading from the 3.  Also, you're right about the lack of wireless charging option with the ring attached.  Out of all the osmo mobile gimbals I own, the OM4 is the most frustrating one so far.

I’ve already sent mine back. I really tried to like it. But the inability to accept my 11 Pro Max was a dealbreaker.
This is the fourth gen Osmo.
They should have really started accepting larger phones with cases on version 3. And I know they got feedback because of that. I left them feedback when version 3 was released. They just don’t learn. OR listen to their customers.
2020-9-15
Use props
fansdfca5b24
lvl.2
United States

I agree, the mount issue is frustrating.  The solution I found was to mount the stick-on magnet (got rid of the useless flip-up ring) to the back of a "sacrificial" hard case with my iPhone 11.  I only use this case when I'm going to be out shooting with the OM4.  This works very well for my application and certainly does not affect the performance of the OM4.  The Speck Presidio Pro case is perfect for this, but I'm sure there are others.  I have no fear of the magnet separating from the case as I removed it once to reposition it,  and it was a BITCH to get off.  FYI - I would not use this on a soft case like the Apple silicone case.      
2020-9-16
Use props
bryanduke1
lvl.1
United States

I just picked up the OM 4 and my new iPhone 12 Pro Max. The clamp BARELY fits with a bare phone, but will not fit at all with even a slim case. Debating on returning the OM 4 due to the incompatibility. Considering the iPhone 12 Pro Max has upgraded cameras and will be used by many who what great video from a mobile device, you would think that DJI would want to make a device that would work with these phones. I agree with others above, bad R&D.
2020-11-14
Use props
DrTek
lvl.1
United States

With the iPhone 12 having MagSafe, one wonders if DJI would be able to make an attachment for the OM4 that would work on the iPhone 12’s?
2020-11-14
Use props
djiuser_SvAaJ0Y188Mr
New

United States

DrTek Posted at 9-15 10:40
Why they close to keep their head on the sand and just blow off users with larger phones is beyond me. And no one wants to put a sticker on the back of an unprotected phone that also negates wireless charging.

Agreed.. I cannot believe the development team has missed the target with the size of the bracket.  I got this thing with the hopes of quickly being able to put my phone on the gimbal and then taking of again for a phone call.  And then I can't mount the ring to a case?  This is so disappointing...
2020-11-14
Use props
Dr.Tek
lvl.1
United States

djiuser_SvAaJ0Y188Mr Posted at 11-14 21:32
Agreed.. I cannot believe the development team has missed the target with the size of the bracket.  I got this thing with the hopes of quickly being able to put my phone on the gimbal and then taking of again for a phone call.  And then I can't mount the ring to a case?  This is so disappointing...

DJI never learns their lesson. It was the same with last year's Osmo 3 and even the one before that. They have had ample time to adapt to larger phones with ew product releases. They just choose not to. Pretty arrogant if you ask me.
2020-11-14
Use props
djiuser_TnVxiU7ZmOzK
New
United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 2020-8-29 01:00

It is shameful, after all these months DJI is unable to release an add on accessory such as larger clamp so that us plus size phone users can enjoy OM4, I have returned my OM4 and uploaded an YouTube video for attention of DJI. It’s not a big ask, it will generate more sale and make it useful for iPhone 12 pro max user, which is undoubtedly best camera phone in the market, OSMO being one of the best gimbal out there we can’t take advantage of because of some engineering faults of DJI team, and they seem not to care to fix a small problem for consumer, shameful to say the least!!
2021-1-14
Use props
djiuser_TnVxiU7ZmOzK
New
United Kingdom

Dr.Tek Posted at 2020-11-14 23:13
DJI never learns their lesson. It was the same with last year's Osmo 3 and even the one before that. They have had ample time to adapt to larger phones with ew product releases. They just choose not to. Pretty arrogant if you ask me.
To hell with dji team, even Hohem isteady x does better job than them listening customer demands
2021-1-15
Use props
road2ruin
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Unfortunately they don’t care and they have no intentions of sorting this issue out, they have said as much on Twitter. Their stance on this is that the phones listed (compatibility wise) are always without a case and therefore the iPhone 12 does fit. Personally I won’t be using a £1,000+ Phone without a case. I sold my OM4 when it became apparent that DJI had no intention of supporting it longer term. I expect they’ll make a huge song and dance of the OM5 and how it can handle the bigger phones etc.
2021-1-18
Use props
Scott Smith96
New

Canada

This works awesome AliExpress
2021-1-28
Use props
Scott Smith96
New

Canada

They have clamps that fit on 4 works great
2021-1-28
Use props
Scott Smith96
New

Canada

2021-1-28
Use props
Dr.Tek
lvl.1
United States

Scott Smith96 Posted at 1-28 19:57

Do you have a link? Because the stock clamps do not work on the 12 pro max with any case installed.
2021-1-28
Use props
gedinite
New

United States

When skiing with the iPhone 12 Pro Max and Osmo DJI Gimbal.
I have to go WITHOUT the Pro Max case,
because the Osmo clamp won't accommodate the Pro Max with the case.
Not good!
This should be an easy fix for Osmo.
Expand the spread width of the clamp by a few millimeters to accommodate the Pro Max WITH a case.

2021-1-31
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

I don’t understand why DJI won’t release a bigger clamp more suited for the larger phones, surely it would be a win win for them, mores sales of clamps and more sales of the gimbals.
2021-1-31
Use props
Adrielly Julia Maia
New

United States

I just got it and I’m thinking of returning it without even trying it! I don’t feel comfortable using my iPhone 12 pro Max which coasts $1500 without any case on... just googled trying to find a bigger bracket there is just none ... it won’t work for me unfortunately, was very excited to try it!
2021-3-19
Use props
djiuser_VVCzKy1Y2StQ
New

United States

Just bought an OSMO 5 to photograph our balloon flight at the Albuquerque balloon festival. We had Amazon send it to our hotel. When we discovered the phone had to be unprotected for the system to work we were extremely disappointed. So many bad things can happen with an unarmored phone. And all the hassles associated with removing the case each time I want to use the OSMO. Sure wish DJI or an aftermarket company would fix this. At the very least I would like DJI to warn perspective buyers that it can’t be used with a case.
2021-10-8
Use props
galadhlinn
New

United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2020-8-29 19:28
Thanks for your feedback, DrTek. We'll forward it to the related team.

I'm returning mine because I refuse to put my phone at risk every time I want to shoot a video clip. Was this never discussed in the development team? No one proposed scenarios like you're on vacation, and you want to shoot a quick video of a POI but you have to find a place to sit down, put all your stuff down, take your phone out of it's case, shoot your video, sit down put your case back on your phone . . no one said that is cumbersome, time consuming, inconvenient and will deincentivize people using your product?

Tip for future designs: Make the brackets two-piece each side with an adjusting allen-head screw (each side). Customer buys your gimble, takes their phone and the included allen wrench, opens up the bracket until the phone seat snuggly inside the bracket. Done. Change phones? Repeat once each time. Happy customer.
2021-12-27
Use props
djiuser_QIuocXMIe0eV
New

United States

I agree. I have a 12 Max in a Otterbox Defender. Does not fit. I chatted with Tech support and they suggested I get a thinner case. Not happening! I bought that case for a reason. DJI Needs to get with the times. Returning mine as well.
2022-2-17
Use props
djiuser_QIuocXMIe0eV
New

United States

My iPhone 12 max in the Otterbox Defender won't fit either. Going to send it back.
2022-2-17
Use props
djiuser_wHa5nmSyVlg7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 511860 ft
Romania

DJI Natalia Posted at 2020-8-29 01:00

problem sorted for iphones with magsafe   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5a45MnZBrA
2022-5-18
Use props
Chrystallized
New

United States

they make drones but can't make a bracket that fits an iPhone 11 Pro max with pelican case? annoying.
2022-11-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules