Osmo Action 'Rocksteady' stops working in middle of shot
1071 7 2020-9-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
L.A Antoine
lvl.1

United States

I've had my Osmo Action for a few weeks and it's been great. But yesterday, while shooting a driving video with the camera mounted to the windshield, 'Rocksteady" stopped working
in the middle of a clip. The camera was on the windshield outside and I wasn't touching it or changing any settings. I realized this once back home much later.
When checked, 'Rocksteady' was still on...
So it worked for about 12 minutes, then turned itself off. You can see the picture skips a bit when it happens in the video.

Has that ever happen to anyone? Is it something I did?
My settings were: 4K/30   1/160   ISO100 on Manual Video settings.
2020-9-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there L.A Antoine. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Can you please post a sample video of the said issue for us to be able to see and assist you further. Thank you.
2020-9-13
Use props
L.A Antoine
lvl.1

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-13 19:20
Hello there L.A Antoine. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Can you please post a sample video of the said issue for us to be able to see and assist you further. Thank you.

Hello, and thanks for your response.
I have not shot anything since the problem occurred. But did reset the camera. I will do some shooting today and check.

Here is a link to the video where Rocksteady stopped working. You can see the hood of the car moving up and down as I drive, which is the way it is with Rocksteady On. At the 18 second mark, you can see a small "jump" and the hood stops moving. Instead, the whole background does. Which means Rocksteady stopped working (The road is smooth and the difference isn't drastic on this particular video)
Rocksteady went OFF around 9 minutes after I started shooting.

Here is a link:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELDugZ4AcX8
2020-9-14
Use props
CasualDronePilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 146135 ft
Sweden

No link to a video. But here's a thought: does the hood of the car fill a pretty large portion of the frame? If it does, the OA might all of a sudden think that that's the part of the footage that needs to be stabilized.
*Edit: Just watched the video and no, I don't think my little theory is correct. Sorry.
2020-9-14
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

L.A Antoine Posted at 9-14 09:41
Hello, and thanks for your response.
I have not shot anything since the problem occurred. But did reset the camera. I will do some shooting today and check.

I have never experienced the same issue, seems really strange.
2020-9-15
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

posted your link. no never had that, but RS is an added benefit, if turned off the vid should be smooth as it is not moving the camera staying still on the window.

2020-9-15
Use props
L.A Antoine
lvl.1

United States

Fishycomics Posted at 9-15 04:16
posted your link. no never had that, but RS is an added benefit, if turned off the vid should be smooth as it is not moving the camera staying still on the window.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELDugZ4AcX8

Thanks for posting the video!  I shot about 15/20 yesterday and it was fine (After resetting the camera earlier that day)
2020-9-15
Use props
KangaAir
lvl.2
Flight distance : 590974 ft
Austria

I have used the OSMO Action a number of times in car mounted identical to your video, have been no issues to date.
It was not intended but I actually captured footage of the Action working in Rock Steady mode today travelling over cobblestone roads. (Vienna Austria).  The cameras technology is impressive. 4K 30fps (Auto) directly mounted to the suspension fork of my bicycle. Absolute stability and focus while the bike and camera got hammered by the road surface (link attached).

I was previously a Hero 7 owner, this camera is way superior.

Action & Pocket cameras make great companions for travelling using MIMO software.

2020-9-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules