DJI Fly App update prompt but last version already active
1959 10 2021-6-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Philippe3317
lvl.1

France

Received my brand new Mavic Air Two with the Smart Controller a few days ago. All working fine, including initial firmware updates. But for the last two days, the SC prompts to update DJI Fly to the latest version, except, every time, it issues an error message to the effect that the download failed because of insufficient storage on my "mobile device".

First off, I would imagine that the "mobile device" that the error message refers to is the SC. If that is not correct, then what would my "mobile device" be???

Then, checking the storage data, this is what I have:
  • Internal Storage: 0.93 GB used out of 11 GB
  • SD card: 181 MB used out of 59.45 GB

I cannot imagine that the DJI Fly app would require more GB than the available storage I have (even just considering the Internal Storage). So, why is the system complaining about insufficient storage?

Finally, checking the versions, it would seem that my SC already has the latest version: on the DJI site, the latest available version, be it for iOS or Android, is 1.4.2, which is exactly the version that the App Info on the SC says I have.

I have tried various things:
  • Try the update with the aircraft on, as well as the aircraft off: no difference
  • Factory Data Reset: no difference

In short, I fail to see what is wrong.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue? What is the problem, and how does one get it fixed?

Thanks in advance for any help, hint,...
2021-6-26
Use props
arizona mavic flyer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1059072 ft
  • >>>
United States

First of all, the current version of the Fly app is 1.4.4. Your Smart Controller should be asking you to install it. Also, 1.4.2 was very buggy, with video dropouts and other issues.
2021-6-26
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

Philippe,

try reinstalling the latest firmware again, using the DJI assistent 2.
Use the one on this link https://www.dji.com/mobile/smart-controller/downloads

That version supports the SC and M2 series only.

You will notice the installed fly version will be 1.4.2

Open the fly app on the sc, it will ask you to update ... to 1.4.4
Be sure to connect your SC to your wifi before you do the last step.
2021-6-26
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

No smart controller here, but I am now getting messages every day to update the app. But on all 3 tablets, the app is already at 1.4.4. When I agree to "update", the process never stops.
2021-6-26
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Malaysia

GaryDoug Posted at 6-26 17:53
No smart controller here, but I am now getting messages every day to update the app. But on all 3 tablets, the app is already at 1.4.4. When I agree to "update", the process never stops.

Hi Gary,

maybe you should deinstall the Fly app and reinstall it, again.
For some reason it doesn't recognize you're app is already up-to-date.
2021-6-26
Use props
Philippe3317
lvl.1

France

arizona mavic flyer Posted at 6-26 16:00
First of all, the current version of the Fly app is 1.4.4. Your Smart Controller should be asking you to install it. Also, 1.4.2 was very buggy, with video dropouts and other issues.

Found out that the display of the latest version on the DJI official site is not correct (in French): the site states that the latest version is 1.4.2, but when you click and check the details, the file is definitely 1.4.4...

The problem I had was not that the Smart Controller did not prompt for the update, I was getting the prompt to update. But the download of the installation package could never complete for some obscure reason (I later found out that it seemed to always get stuck at 23%, with an install package that could then not be properly parsed).

In any case, I found another way to "force" the update, where the download did complete and the installation of the 1.4.4 version also complete successfully.

Thanks anyway for your help.
2021-6-27
Use props
Philippe3317
lvl.1

France

JohnDG Posted at 6-26 16:08
Philippe,

try reinstalling the latest firmware again, using the DJI assistent 2.

Hi, John,

Thanks for the suggestion, which I did follow, but without success.

I did a complete re-install of DJI Mavic Assistant 2; then, from within DJI Assistant, a complete refresh of the aircraft firmware, and a complete refresh of the Smart Controller firmware. Checked all versions, which all were current. Checked the free storage (in excess of 7 GB free Internal Storage) prior to initiating the Fly app update.

The DJI Fly app prompted for the update, as before, but the update failed again with the same error.

In the end, I found another way to get it to 1.4.4, and, in the process, found out that the automatic background download of the install package was somehow getting stuck (at 23% it seems), in spite of being connected to the wifi, and having ensured that the SC would not go into Sleep Mode (Sleep Mode to "Never").

Wifi network "glitch", SC bug? Don't know, but the only way I found to successfully upgrade was to download the install package manually (from the Lightning Browser on the SC), and then executing the APK file manually once the download completed.

So, now on 1.4.4
2021-6-27
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Malaysia

Philippe3317 Posted at 6-27 01:55
Hi, John,

Thanks for the suggestion, which I did follow, but without success.

Hi Philippe,

I've experienced in the past that 5GHz wifi signals were of some difficulty for the SC. In case of problems use 2.5 GHz. And there were others on the forum having problems on 5GHz.

I am using Asus routers now succesfully with the SC, also on 5GHz.
Another way to get versions of software on the SC is to copy them on a micro SD and introduce them that way into the SC.

But anyway, good to know you managed to get the 1.4.4 on the SC. Succes getting your craft into the air.
2021-6-27
Use props
Philippe3317
lvl.1

France

For anyone facing a similar issue, here is how I ended up solving it:
  • On the Smart Controller, go the Lightning Browser app
  • From there go to the official DJI Fly App download page (in French, it would be on the page https://www.dji.com/fr/downloads/djiapp/dji-fly, but otherwise, do a google search on "DJI Fly app download", the search results should come up with the DJI Download Center page)
  • Select the Android version of the app, ignoring the version displayed: the Download Center might indicate that the version available for download is 1.4.2, but when looking at the name of the file being downloaded (1623989217224-DJI-v1.4.4-210617-1072-48034-official-sec.apk), it definitely is version 1.4.4
  • Allow for sufficient time for the download: it might take in excess of 20 minutes for it to complete, depending on your Internet speed and Wifi. Once the download is complete, you should find the file 1623989217224-DJI-v1.4.4-210617-1072-48034-official-sec.apk in your download folder from the File Manager app
  • Double-click that file to launch the update. It will prompt you to confirm that you want to update, accept the prompt

The actual update itself is rather quick.

At the end of the install process, you should receive the "Successfully installed" message.

It may also help to re-install all of the other firmware beforehand (although in my case, it did not help at all): re-install the DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic, refresh-update the firmware on your aircraft, refresh-update the firmware on the SC.

It may also be beneficial to "clean up" after the upgrade, either by deleting the downloaded file (or moving it to some other place than Internal Storage), or by doing a Factory Data Reset, to reclaim as much Internal Storage as possible (in which case the aircraft will probably need to be paired again with the SC).

Hopt this can help someone else.
2021-6-27
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

JohnDG Posted at 6-26 22:21
Hi Gary,

maybe you should deinstall the Fly app and reinstall it, again.

The same on all 3 tablets? Not likely.
2021-6-27
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Malaysia

GaryDoug Posted at 6-27 08:37
The same on all 3 tablets? Not likely.

that's strange indeed.
2021-6-27
Use props