1048 13 2023-3-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

I have seen it a few times, colors shift during recording even if Auto While Balance is turned off.

So it makes it hard to color correct since some clips will have different colors (in snow).
5500K, Auto ISO 4K@60 fps D-CineLike.

Here are 3 screenshot from different angles, but look at snow in middle on road. Same clip just moved camera around while plowing.

whitebalance change.jpg
2023-3-3
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

could the sensor have lint or been obstructed?
2023-3-3
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Fishycomics Posted at 3-3 07:33
could the sensor have lint or been obstructed?

Could be from sky, some light hitting lens on that one in middle.
But then it will have different colors in different ISO
2023-3-3
Use props
Rocktheasphalt
Second Officer
United States

Have you tried what happens when you cover the color sensor?
2023-3-3
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Rocktheasphalt Posted at 3-3 07:52
Have you tried what happens when you cover the color sensor?

No I haven't.

But from before when I have been out just testing the camera (last year) I saw it was changing color many times at the snow. Need to to a test with this and also block color sensor.
2023-3-3
Use props
DJ DJ
lvl.4
Germany

When did you record the clips? Early morning? Or comparable dawning lighting conditions in the north?

Looks like no WB change to me (look at the trees), but more like a typical mixed light condition. The wihtes in the shade are different to the ones in the highlights. In the highlights you get more direct light reflection, in the shades, you get more stray reflection from the sky hence the more blueish color. Snow and different angles to the sun when it is low often result in different colortones (snow acts as kind of a mirror and so you may get both sides of the spectrum).
The effect is comparable to setting white balance to cloudy or indoors and have sunlight leaking in, but just outside.
2023-3-3
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, johansenfoto. Thank you for reaching out. Have you tried turning off the white balance and try to record a steady subject just to check if it's doing the same thing? If the firmware is updated and the issue persists please provide us with the following details for further checking:
• Firmware Version
• Unedited Video

Once completed, please upload it to a shareable link and send us the link via PM. Thank you.
2023-3-4
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

DJ DJ Posted at 3-3 23:50
When did you record the clips? Early morning? Or comparable dawning lighting conditions in the north?

Looks like no WB change to me (look at the trees), but more like a typical mixed light condition. The wihtes in the shade are different to the ones in the highlights. In the highlights you get more direct light reflection, in the shades, you get more stray reflection from the sky hence the more blueish color. Snow and different angles to the sun when it is low often result in different colortones (snow acts as kind of a mirror and so you may get both sides of the spectrum).

It was mid day and no sun peaking trough.

I think it is easier to see changes in highlights than it would be in shadow areas, and in this case the snow since it is a really bright color.
But like I mentioned, I have seen this happend before when I have been holding my camera but not that noticable.
2023-3-4
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

DJI Gamora Posted at 3-4 00:34
Hi, johansenfoto. Thank you for reaching out. Have you tried turning off the white balance and try to record a steady subject just to check if it's doing the same thing? If the firmware is updated and the issue persists please provide us with the following details for further checking:
• Firmware Version
• Unedited Video

I will try to recreate this, but if I have the camera steady like you say then it probably will be no color change since it behave like it uses auto whitebalance and that will only change when there is different subjects in frames.
2023-3-4
Use props
DJ DJ
lvl.4
Germany

johansenfoto Posted at 3-4 02:58
It was mid day and no sun peaking trough.

I think it is easier to see changes in highlights than it would be in shadow areas, and in this case the snow since it is a really bright color.

I still don't see much WB change in the stills. I cropped out a part of the snow pile to the left of the driveway (around the pole) and it shows about the same color shift in every frame - roundabout 10% towards blue.

In every frame I see the shades are comparable blueish. They have a different portion as the perspektive changes, so you see more blue in them, simply because they become more prominent. The color itself stays the same, from my opinion (and when analyzing with a color dropper).
2023-3-4
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

DJ DJ Posted at 3-4 04:37
I still don't see much WB change in the stills. I cropped out a part of the snow pile to the left of the driveway (around the pole) and it shows about the same color shift in every frame - roundabout 10% towards blue.
[view_image]

I agree with you there, but if you look at mid on road where first and last frame is closest to white than number 2, there is a huge difference. And there were no sun shining trough.

But I will try to recreate this since I have seen it before.

2023-3-4
Use props
DJ DJ
lvl.4
Germany

johansenfoto Posted at 3-4 05:37
I agree with you there, but if you look at mid on road where first and last frame is closest to white than number 2, there is a huge difference. And there were no sun shining trough.

But I will try to recreate this since I have seen it before.

Hard to tell with all  the coarse structure on the snow in the middle of the street. It's the same as with the larger piles, just that you see many "small ones".
The first and the third frame both show a comparable angle, while the middle shot shows the "backside". The larger piles are much more blueish from the backside, so the same should apply to the small ones on the street.
Even if the snow was smoother, it still consists of small reflective facettes, that change color when you change the viewing angle in such a difficult lighting condition.
2023-3-4
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

DJ DJ Posted at 3-4 06:01
Hard to tell with all  the coarse structure on the snow in the middle of the street. It's the same as with the larger piles, just that you see many "small ones".
The first and the third frame both show a comparable angle, while the middle shot shows the "backside". The larger piles are much more blueish from the backside, so the same should apply to the small ones on the street.
Even if the snow was smoother, it still consists of small reflective facettes, that change color when you change the viewing angle in such a difficult lighting condition.

But that again will not explain why I have previously seen different colors when I was filming and did not turn the camera very much but the snow suddenly took on a completely different color.
I understand if it is sunny and not sunny, or different shade.

Edit: I just had my camera out recording for almost 20 minutes standing still, could not recreate it. After that I tried to move it around, and still not change it colors that I could see.

If anyone else experience this and/or if I manage to recrate it, I will post in this thread.

2023-3-4
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

johansenfoto Posted at 3-4 03:00
I will try to recreate this, but if I have the camera steady like you say then it probably will be no color change since it behave like it uses auto whitebalance and that will only change when there is different subjects in frames.

Thank you for the information. Please keep us posted.
2023-3-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules