Levels and strange audio behaviour
432 4 2023-12-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Natural Sounds and Sights
lvl.4

Spain

Finally got some time to test the latest firmware... as before the audio levels being recorded, both internally on the Pocket 3 and also externally on the DJI Mic 2 are incredibly low and do not in any way coincide with what the on-screen meter bar indicates.

Method: I took an industry standard microphone level feed from a Sound Devices Mixpre-D with the 1kHz tone generator switched on. This outputs at precisely 0dB. In fact, it is so reliable and accurate that it is a great tool for calibrating separate recorder and camera audio meters. The resulting waveform from the internal Pocket 3, however, shows that the actual recorded level is around -21dB! This is what Adobe Audition reveals when the WAV file is opened:

Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 16.23.41.png

Here's the accompanying audio analysis:

Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 16.25.58.png

I repeated this with the same signal at the same level but this time directly into the MIC 2 and inspected the resulting internal 32-bit WAV file.... not only were the levels similarly extremely low, but the 'continuous' tone was now 'pulsing' on a regular basis, as if some form of limiting or compression was being applied? Here's what that looks like in Final Cut Pro's timeline:

Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 16.35.16.png

The concern here, of course, is that if - for example - the Mic 2 was being used to record a musical instrument that emits a strong, continuous tone, such as a flute or a bowed instrument such as a 'cello, what happens then? I have not had time to test this, but maybe others could? It definitely looks like some form of limiting to me... 'clamping down' on the already very low signal at precise intervals.

Very strange behaviour, anyway.... would not expect to see a recorder do this.
Should add that the Pocket 3 meters both showed the signal level to be near clipping!

2023-12-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, there. Thank you for reaching out. Please allow us to forward this concern to our relevant team for further checking.
2023-12-17
Use props
Natural Sounds and Sights
lvl.4

Spain

Thank you very much. Appreciated.
2023-12-17
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Natural Sounds and Sights Posted at 12-17 01:10

You're most welcome. Currently, this concern is being discussed with our relevant team and please stay assured that the latest information will be provided here. We do appreciate your patience.
2023-12-22
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Natural Sounds and Sights Posted at 12-17 01:10

Update: When recording with the DJI Mic 2 transmitter, to maintain the original audio as much as possible, the default gain is designed to be low, which can retain more dynamics for audio processing. This setting is also applied to the audio gain when connected to Pocket 3. Furthermore, our Engineers have received feedback from some users that the default gain is too low compared to other products. We will consider increasing the default gain when Mic 2 is connected to Pocket 3 for audio in the future, but the gain recorded in the Mic2 transmitter will not be changed for the time being. Please pay attention to subsequent firmware updates.

As for the pulsing phenomenon, we're requesting that you upload the original video and internal recordings for further analysis. You may refer to the link that I've sent you via personal message to upload the requested details. We look forward to hearing from you.
2023-12-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules