Start Up Phantom
2952 10 2014-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
im1in260m
New

United States

Hello Pros,

I have a new Pahntom. Don't knmow if it is I, II or "FC40" as I have seen here in the forum. All it says on the box is Phantom, The Spirit of Flight, some warnings about injuring people. The little manual says Quick Start Manual Express V1.0. I am assuming it is a Phantom 1.
1. It says to download the Assistant Software and drivers from www.dji-innovations.com/products/phantom. That address leads to a 404 error (page not found). After researching I found two assistant softwares and they are both very different. One is DJI System assist. It does nothiing when run except describe the controller sticks. The other is DJI NAZA-M V2.
2. I first ran the driver installation and plugged in the copter when prompted and plugged in the battery. The installation went through the motions then said it was finished. I then installed the Assistant Software. When I didn't get any response from the controller I installed the NAZA software and tried again. I still get no reponse.
3. I have tried the 360 degree rotation calibration as shown on several You Tube videos. I never get the same response as the voideo. I get one green and four red flashing LED. That error does not exist in the manual.

Do I have a Phantom I or Phantom II or FC40 or what? It does have two antennas.
Should I use the NAZAM software or the RC
Is there any place I can get a description of the controller? There is a lever in the back on the left side that has no description. The manual referes to S1 and S2 but I can only guess at the switches.

Thanks for all your help,

Scott

PS: If you are making a video on how to set up a Phantom please include the software part of the set up. This does not come out of the box and fly. In fact according to what I have read it is possible that it will just fly away as happened to my brother-in-law yesterday. Good by $500.

2014-12-28
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

If it did not come with the camera - and if it uses a battery which you have to connect using a connector and plugs, then it is the Phantom 1.

Use NAZAM. If you have a windows machine, you have to install the DJI driver first before the program will probably run.

Once you get the program to work, you can set IOC mode - which allows certain functions of the switches.

The lever on the back of the controller is the gimbal controller - for a camera stabilizer. You have no need for it at the present.
All of the manuals, etc. for your bird should be at:
http://www.dji.com/product/phantom/download

Most of this should apply to you:
http://www.droneflyers.com/2014/ ... ed-guide-beginners/

The only difference with the FC40 is that it uses a different frequency for the remote control and it has a cheap camera on it.

DO NOT FLY it until you get that compass calibration to work properly. Of course it must be done outside and in an open area not close to any metal.
2014-12-28
Use props
im1in260m
New

United States

Thank you for the response.
I got the motors to actually start up once today. I'm not sure what I did to make that happen, but I was hopeful. I re-ran the DJI Driver installer as described in the manual and then opened the NAZA-M software. I did a motor test and all four motors did what they were supposed to do. But after the "Calibration" I undid the USB and restarted my controller and the MC. Still nothing. I figure there is some sort of conflict, but can't figure out where.
I get the green flashing that says the GPS is OK. I get the flashing LEDs saying that the sticks are not centered when I push them this way and that. But no motors!I downloaded and printed the NAZA quick start guide and have just started reading that. Maybe there will be some connection there to help me move forward.
I'll do the Compass Calibration outside! I was doing it inside, but I don't want to take chances. Hell, I'm going to learn to control it somewhat inside so I don't get a fly away before I know how to drive!
2014-12-28
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

You will 100% crash that thing if you do the compass calibration inside!

EVERYTHING must be done outside....except the software stuff. That is, you must take it outside and properly calibrate the compass and get the proper LED's back from the unit as you do so. Then, after calibration, cycle the power on the quad. and sit it in the open and wait for the LED to go through all the sequences to get to a slow flashing green. Then your motors should start up.

If you fly that inside you must as well just crush it now......to avoid damage to your house and people.

I think the real conflict here is trying to use an outdoor quadcopter in the house!
Note- toss out that RC Assistant software! That's only for the remote controller on the P2!
2014-12-28
Use props
im1in260m
New

United States

OK. I got the motors started and flew it a little in the house. Not getting the "Home" position lights yet. I had to move the controls to the 7 and 5 O'clock positions to start the motors.

Got a few seconds of Go Pro video too!
2014-12-28
Use props
im1in260m
New

United States

Until I am certain the thing knows where home is, it's not going outside. I am reading the Advanced Manual again. I just don't have the lights described yet. Getting there.

As a pilot I like to use check lists. Once I translate the translated Chinese into English I am used to, I will generate a couple of check lists. Then I will take it outside and pray that I didn't miss anything and the damn thing doesn't fly away. I am not far from the airport and I would hate to have the FAA looking for me because I flew into a plane on final.

Lots more research. Thanks y'all.
2014-12-28
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... age%3D1&lang=en
2014-12-29
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

im1in260m@yahoo Posted at 2014-12-29 12:06
Until I am certain the thing knows where home is, it's not going outside. I am reading the Advanced  ...

IT WILL NEVER KNOW WHERE HOME IS UNTIL YOU TAKE IT OUTSIDE.....

Compass, GPS and similar functions will not work inside - no matter what you do....this is why the manual states clearly to place it outside! Read.

". If in GPS ATTI. Mode, place the aircraft in an open space without buildings or trees. Take off the aircraft after 6 or more GPS satellites are found (Red LED blinks once or no blinking). "
2014-12-29
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

Yep....you're never going to get a Home Lock indoors.  
Please follow the link I posted and read it.
2014-12-29
Use props
cbx1963
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Take a look at this video , they use a different remote but all the info on using the naza assistant is there. I personally wouldn't upgrade the firmware until I was happy with the control and setup first...   
2014-12-29
Use props
emjayef
lvl.1

United States

Does anyone out there really understand the manuals?  I find them to be hard to follow.  They also use abbreviations without telling you what they mean.  I have spent a lot of time just searching through all the manuals trying to figure out what they're talking about.  For instance, they say to power on the multi-rotor.  How do you do that?  There is no switch, and they already had me plug the battery in.  I got the slow flashing green LED and figured that was a good thing, but couldn't get the motors to run.  
2015-1-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules