SO WHATS THE VERDICT
3751 30 2015-1-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
max.tower
lvl.1

United States

I want one but I was just hesitating to see what problems pop up and hopefully buy when they have been addressed on new equipment or am I being to cautious??

Curious what is the final verdict from people that have received and messed around with one for a few days?
2015-1-10
Use props
AnticipateMedia
lvl.2
Flight distance : 309626 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mine has a lot of issues from a 500m distance limit where it cuts out to bad jello to a blurry lens.
2015-1-10
Use props
mhaislet
lvl.4

United States

ugh sorry to hear this I canceled my order today till they get this thing debugged. Jello on a 3k drone no way Im dealing with that as well as transmission issues...Sorry to hear this news...
2015-1-10
Use props
airymok
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2623652 ft
China

AnticipateMedia Posted at 2015-1-11 05:44
Mine has a lot of issues from a 500m distance limit where it cuts out to bad jello to a blurry lens. ...

Post the video here. Let's see.
2015-1-10
Use props
ultraturtle
lvl.2

Freakin' awesome.  I have 11 sorties so far, and could not be happier with the performance, the interface, and the overall experience.   It worked 100% issue free out of the box after a quick firmware update.

In my country (USA) nobody can safely (and therefore legally) fly it beyond visual line of site, so I cannot comment about performance at distances as far away as 500m, but closer in performance is flawless.

Since we all know 4K video is a gimmick feature included to enable DJI to compete on specs with GoPro's even more ridiculous implementation (both output a maximum 7.5 MB/s video, neither capable of the 30 MB/s required for basic 4K recording), I did not bother with it, but 1080p video is spectacular on a sunny day with the ND filter attached.  Stills are about as good as you can get with a tiny sensor 12 MP camera.

I'm very happy with the purchase.
2015-1-10
Use props
ppdrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 272799 ft
United States

Same here....very happy with it...and don't intend to fly out of line of sight!
Video/photo is just like any other camera. You have to learn how to use the tool and you will get incredible results!
2015-1-10
Use props
max.tower
lvl.1

United States

Man 50/50 so far still not confident enough to pull the trigger need to hear some more stories good or bad.  Hopefully we can get some more good???
2015-1-12
Use props
AnticipateMedia
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

airymok Posted at 2015-1-11 08:21
Post the video here. Let's see.

Read all my experiences with about 30 minutes of video at www.anticipatemedia.com/dji

That page was meant for tech support but it does catalog all my testing. I managed to get a 900M flight in with no jello (in low light) so there has been progress.
2015-1-12
Use props
AshInspire1
lvl.3

United Kingdom

AnticipateMedia Posted at 2015-1-13 08:02
Read all my experiences with about 30 minutes of video at www.anticipatemedia.com/dji

That page wa ...

Great write up so far. Be interesting to see about the loose arms because eminent were aswell, managed to tighten the one side up but the other wont go without forcing it which I don't want to do
2015-1-12
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6690 ft
United States

AshInspire1 Posted at 2015-1-13 08:49
Great write up so far. Be interesting to see about the loose arms because eminent were aswell, man ...

I just checked mine and there is an ever so slight movement. I mean ever so slight. But I've flown it a few times now and has been rock solid so I'm not so sure that making them so tight is the right answer. I know there are tolerances to most everything and rod has to be able to spin so it can go up and down. Has anyone at DJI said there suppose to be solid with no movement at all? That's an answer I would like to hear?

Mike

I also sent DJI an email as I'm not messing it. Mine doesn't seem to have any vibrations but I would like the peace of mind of knowing whether it's right or wrong....
2015-1-12
Use props
David
lvl.2

Australia

I have had range issues once but I think I had the antennas folded down.  After 8 flights, and now I have recovered from the shipping debacle - I am extremely happy with the inspire. It's just what I hoped it would be. As easy to set up and fly as the phantom (with fpv) but so much more powerful, robust, stable - and the 4k video with rectilinear lens and app functionality is awesome. I few  at full speed yesterday in 20+ knots of wind (not advisable) and the video was as solid as a rock. The free gimbal mode is great, light ridge is great, the camera control and flight recording etc all killer. I really can't fault it. I have been doing 13m flights and landing with 25% battery remaining which I think is good for something this powerful...
2015-1-12
Use props
AshInspire1
lvl.3

United Kingdom

svencool Posted at 2015-1-13 08:56
I just checked mine and there is an ever so slight movement. I mean ever so slight. But I've flown ...

I would definitely just put half a turn on it for sure Mike. It seems real solid now. Just need to figure out how put half a turn on the other side without breaking it. Or just leave it alone lol
2015-1-12
Use props
AnticipateMedia
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

svencool Posted at 2015-1-13 08:56
I just checked mine and there is an ever so slight movement. I mean ever so slight. But I've flown  ...

I lost no range of movement (everything seems fine) and really, they weren't that loose. But if you look at the first video vs the second, it made a difference. I will admit though the shutter on the 2nd video is less than half the speed of the first. That must have helped (the 2nd is totally jello and vibration free)
2015-1-13
Use props
max.tower
lvl.1

United States

Here's a decent review.....

http://vimeo.com/116525304
2015-1-13
Use props
max.tower
lvl.1

United States

He mentions in his review he has not tried to catch it because he's fearful of cutting his fingers.  Have any of you guys been able to hand catch it instead of landing.  I fly my phantom off of a boat a lot and its a lot safer to catch than land.
2015-1-13
Use props
abe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

max.tower Posted at 2015-1-14 10:53
He mentions in his review he has not tried to catch it because he's fearful of cutting his fingers.  ...

I do not recommend trying to hand catch the Inspire. I used to hand catch my Phantom all the time, but it is easy to catch because the propellers are short and it is relatively light. The Inspire is heavy and the propellers are huge. It is very stable and easy to land on the ground or your boat. Please don't try to catch it.
2015-1-13
Use props
David
lvl.2

Australia

I have been hand catching my Inspire no problems. Landing on a boat that is swaying about on anchor is difficult. I have a 27 foot powerboat with a fairly large open area at the back, but with the boat moving slightly it is far too easy to clip a prop on the way down. So far I have not found the inspire any harder to catch than my Phantom, and probably easier to catch than my 550 flame wheel that weighs about the same as Inspire. Leave the legs up, this way the props are right away from your hands. Hover the Inspire just above your head facing away from you. Reach up and carefully grab the rear / underside of the battery. Throttle down to shut off props. Easy. If your hand or your body gets under the sensors it will start to transform. Make sure you don't hold the inspire too far forward otherwise the transforming arms can jam your fingers. Once you have done it once you will know what to do and it is no problem at all.
2015-1-13
Use props
chrisgeigerphot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13046529 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mine is flying good after doing the advanced calibration to fix ATTI flight mode. Without the calibration it would fly to the right each time I switched to ATTI. It kept saying that I did not need calibration but I kept pressing it until it let me. After the calibration it's been flying great. The GPS reception is the best I have ever had. I have had a few little funny things happen with the app, but the aircraft has been solid in the air and the photos and video have been better than any of the GoPro footage that I have done.
2015-1-13
Use props
Pgaucher
lvl.4
Flight distance : 368983 ft
Hong Kong

David@trewern.c Posted at 2015-1-14 12:39
I have been hand catching my Inspire no problems. Landing on a boat that is swaying about on anchor  ...

Good to hear as I've been wondering about that as well. Good recommendation about the fingers getting caught in the gear when transforming. That would not be a pleasant situation indeed. Thanks for sharing.
2015-1-13
Use props
mlglisson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7782 ft
  • >>>
United States

David@trewern.c Posted at 2015-1-13 08:59
I have had range issues once but I think I had the antennas folded down.  After 8 flights, and now I ...

That's GREAT news However I wonder why so many other people are having such trouble (IMU, Auto Takeoff, Video issues and such) And I wonder why some work so smoothly?
2015-1-14
Use props
mlglisson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

max.tower Posted at 2015-1-14 10:52
Here's a decent review.....

http://vimeo.com/116525304

Looked great!
2015-1-14
Use props
mlglisson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

chrisgeigerphot Posted at 2015-1-14 14:21
Mine is flying good after doing the advanced calibration to fix ATTI flight mode. Without the calibr ...

Good news!
2015-1-14
Use props
rutchmann
lvl.1

United States

chrisgeigerphot Posted at 2015-1-14 14:21
Mine is flying good after doing the advanced calibration to fix ATTI flight mode. Without the calibr ...

thanks for the update and additional info...can you elaborate on "advanced calibration to fix ATTI flight mode"?  Is this a different IMU calibration than for P Mode?

Thanks!
2015-1-14
Use props
chrisgeigerphot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

It looks like some Inspires (including mine) lost their calibration during shipment. If the IMU is out of calibration then what it thinks is level is not level. The further out of calibration it is the faster it will fly off in one direction when not in GPS mode. It is absolutely critical that IMU level calibration be exactly correct. With version 14 of the software you could rely on the GPS holding the aircraft in position and overriding a bad calibration as long as you have a good GPS fix. With version 16 the compass is set so sensitive that it can kick the GPS off even with full view of the sky. So you can no longer rely on the GPS. Fixing the ATTI to hover in flight is easy, you just have to get a bubble level and find a perfectly level spot. Set down the aircraft and do the advanced IMU cal. That will fix the ATTI flyaway issue. Just hopping that DJI puts the compass settings back the way they were in v14 so that the GPS is reliable again.
2015-1-16
Use props
pinpointmapping
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5345105 ft
  • >>>
United States

Verdict is that it was/is to soon to order an Inspire.  I placed my Pre-Order just a day after the initial release back in early November.  Then I waited patiently for delivery as promised 21 days after payment was complete....It was then a two month wait (my Inspire arrived to my door 2 months to the day after order, so I got it on Wednesday Jan 14th).  I diligently read everything I could about the beta tester feedback via the Facebook and RCgroup discussion pages and learned that while the iPad 4 (with retina display) that I already owned would work with the App, it wouldn't fit in the holder, so once I got confirmation from FedX that I had a tracking# for my Inspire, I figured it was time to buy a new iPad Mini 2 (like the one used in the Octofilms demo videos), and since I had to buy a new iPad for the Inspire, while not get a nice quote engraved on it from the iStore.......My iPad arrived just last night (1 day after I got my inspire) and now suddenly the iOS app is pulled from the internet and all reference to Apple is scrubbed from the DJI Inspire pages..... On top of that DJI says not to fly the Inspire 1 until new Propeller Locks are shipped.  
It is now clear to me that this is a BETA project and NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME.....
2015-1-16
Use props
Cyclops
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I was one of the first to get an Inspire 1 in the UK and I think it is a fabulous machine. I'm fully prepared for teething problems and with the learning curve to be able to fly it with the same confidence that I gained with my Phantom 2.

I would highly recommend the Inspire 1.
2015-1-16
Use props
p-swieconek
New

United States

chrisgeigerphot Posted at 2015-1-17 00:12
It looks like some Inspires (including mine) lost their calibration during shipment. If the IMU is o ...

Good tip, mine seems to operate fine with acception of drift when in GPS opti and Atti modes - that should do it. Have you had any issue with the following ? If I take off indoors, in P mode - ok to fly without GPS, my craft eventually acquires GPS lock, then when I land, min throttle won't stop motors. I use both sticks for immediate stop, and it goes into initial spool up mode - GPS Home Pos Recoreded, then it allows me to immediate stop. Should I set toggle to A mode when flying indoors. Automatic P to A mode seems to be a problem indoors or at least without first acquiring GPS lock?
2015-1-16
Use props
chrisgeigerphot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I wish it was possible to use ground sensor in ATTI mode. When you switch to A-ATTI the ground sensor is turned off. Mine has no problem with shut down. I just hold the stick all the way down for a couple of seconds and it shuts off. You may want to calibrate your sticks in the app if yours does not shut down.
2015-1-16
Use props
DJI-Dboy
lvl.3

China

AnticipateMedia Posted at 2015-1-11 05:44
Mine has a lot of issues from a 500m distance limit where it cuts out to bad jello to a blurry lens. ...

Hi, AM,
May be the environment has magnetic interference. You can decrease the video link downstream speed
2015-1-17
Use props
DJI-Dboy
lvl.3

China

chrisgeigerphot Posted at 2015-1-17 00:12
It looks like some Inspires (including mine) lost their calibration during shipment. If the IMU is o ...

Thank you for your explanation.
during shipment, IMU MEMS may be interfered and shall be re-calibrated when you received the I1.
The latest I1 firmware have fixed this issue. However, still recommend to re-calibrate the IMU when one receiving it to minimize the possible risk.
Moreover, for all the drone, compass shall be calibrate before each flight (near the flight location rather than home)
2015-1-17
Use props
max.tower.email
lvl.1

United States

David@trewern.c Posted at 2015-1-14 12:39
I have been hand catching my Inspire no problems. Landing on a boat that is swaying about on anchor  ...

I have read on another thread it is not possible to take off from a boat?  
2015-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules