Return to Home (all DJI drones) - am I the only one?
2603 48 2018-9-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NomadRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-3 14:55
How many Mavic Pro drones were lost because of RTH being used in high wind and craft not making it back, lots of things can go wrong because of using RTH when not needed, the choice is yours the drone is yours, but also the responsibility is yours.
Fly safe.

Zero drones owned by this pilot.   I use it when I know I can get back.   I don't fly with the wind out and against the wind back anyway, that is bad practice.   
2018-9-3
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-3 14:59
Look in your safety guidelines manual for Mavic Pro 1, Spark, P4, P4 Pro, Mavic Air. this is probably the one manual all should read before ever flying a drone and it is the one manual that will make all aware of their responsibility.

We're talking about the mavic 2 here (its in the mavic 2 forum) not the other drones.

All the other drones have it working.

The mavic 2 has an odd design decision where the "emergency" fallback doesn't actually work to ensure a safe landing.  Which is a very strange design philosophy.
2018-9-3
Use props
hallmark007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 10186312 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-3 15:33
We're talking about the mavic 2 here (its in the mavic 2 forum) not the other drones.

All the other drones have it working.

Look your last post insisted Mavic Pro didn’t have the warning in the manual if you don’t know this don’t mention it and not expect to get a response, the debate is about RTH with your drone, you seem to be sure of everything until it’s pointed out to you.

The emergency feature on the M2 is to try to safely return drone to home when wind at high altitude may effect this.
There is a much different set up in how M2 behaves in RTH from old Mavic . 1. It is much faster 2. Because of its increased pitch it is able to cope with higher winds.
Coming from flying a Mavic Pro for two years and having seen many lose their drones simply because Mavic Pro could not cope with most head winds, simply because it was set to hold its pitch so OA would remain on , causing it to not cope with wind , now new M2 can pitch much further into the wind and has much better capacity when flying into the wind.
So for me new emergency RTH is a great feature, simply because of the new set up.
2018-9-3
Use props
hallmark007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 10186312 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

NomadRT Posted at 2018-9-3 15:32
Zero drones owned by this pilot.   I use it when I know I can get back.   I don't fly with the wind out and against the wind back anyway, that is bad practice.

As I already said it’s your drone how you fly it is you choice and responsibility.
Fly safe.
2018-9-3
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-3 15:58
Look your last post insisted Mavic Pro didn’t have the warning in the manual if you don’t know this don’t mention it and not expect to get a response, the debate is about RTH with your drone, you seem to be sure of everything until it’s pointed out to you.

The emergency feature on the M2 is to try to safely return drone to home when wind at high altitude may effect this.

I've turned around sometimes when flying and I notice my speed is lower than expected.   I see that I have the throttle at max and the speed is low = high wind and more energy.   In the end it's all about gaining experience and using that wisdom.   That's a big reason why whenever I get a new drone I fly it in extreme close proximity for a number of flights, then expand range a nominal amount for several more flights and gradually work out to longer range.   I test every feature multiple times looking for surprises and mentally taking note of behavior while it's still very close to me.    I highly recommend all drone pilots do this either with their new drones or new pilots just getting into it.
2018-9-3
Use props
Alex Batalov
Second Officer
Flight distance : 24101106 ft

Spain

I used to use RTH feature but not anymore.
I just hate that beeping + it draws TOO much attention.
For example, im flying at the beach over the ocean and then all of a sudden I have 100s of people looking at me and talking what the hell am I doing.
It’s very uncomfortable.
And also I think that it makes you a much better pilot if you don’t rely on RTH and always fly yourself.

Fly safe ppl.
Alex.
2018-9-3
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>

I end every flight with RTH. Maybe I have more luck than skill.
2018-9-3
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I've never understood the complaint with the RTH beeping.  It isn't very loud to me and can certainly be tolerated.  That said, I usually don't use RTH, preferring to fly myself.
2018-9-3
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Thanks for sharing your thoughts with using the Smart RTH. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have other concerns.
2018-9-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules