1234Next >
20774 144 2015-12-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jaleaman
lvl.1

United Kingdom

LenMiddx Posted at 2016-3-9 13:57
If you sync the audio and video at the beginning of the take, as has been the case since time immem ...

That's not the case with the Osmo, I'm afraid. If you sync in the way you say there is still a drift in the frames  after a random time. Sometimes maybe a minute, sometimes 3 mins. It's impossible to work with.
2016-3-9
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

jaleaman@me.com Posted at 2016-3-9 15:06
That's not the case with the Osmo, I'm afraid. If you sync in the way you say there is still a dri ...

I'm not sure that I understand you.

If I record 10 minutes of video on my Osmo, I have 10 minutes of video.

If I record 10 minutes of audio on a recorder,  I have 10 minutes of audio.

The Osmo's audio is not involved in any way.

If I slate it at the beginning, I can sync it in any NLE.

Tell me why you think this isn't so.
2016-3-9
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

thelizirons.gma Posted at 2016-3-9 21:39
So, Len - Are you using the audio recorded to your phone or tablet (and is it the same one you are ...

Audio would be recorded to an external recorder -- say Zoom F8 or whatever. This audio would be sync'd in post with the Osmo video.

ADDS:

In other words I need to run something, somewhere, that will place an audio marker on the recorder and a video marker on the Osmo video simultaneously.  This could be a manual or electronic clapper, or the 'clapper' function in in the DSLR Toolkit app. Or it could be a simple application like "simpleClap" on an iPhone that emits a very brief tone (for the recorder via the microphone) and simultaneously blinks 'red' on the display for the Osmo's video.
2016-3-9
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

LenMiddx Posted at 2016-3-10 05:53
Audio would be recorded to an external recorder -- say Zoom F8 or whatever. This audio would be syn ...

I'm with you.
2016-3-9
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

LenMiddx Posted at 2016-3-9 18:52
Hello, dji-Adela.

It's always good news to hear that help is on the way.

Hello, LenMiddx

Thanks for your understanding!
I'm sorry that I can not give you a fixed answers to your questions right now since that's not in my knowledge.
Our engineers are definitely working on it and trying to improve the issue in the next firmware. To be honest, I am only noticed that the next firmware is expect to come out within this month, but you know plans can't always keep up with changes.
2016-3-9
Use props
jaleaman
lvl.1

United Kingdom

LenMiddx Posted at 2016-3-9 17:34
I'm not sure that I understand you.

If I record 10 minutes of video on my Osmo, I have 10 minutes ...

If you record 10 mins of Audio on your Zoom recorder You will have 10 mins of Audio.

If you record 10 mins of Video on your Osmo you will likely have 10 mins plus or minus quite a few frames as the Osmo has been recorded (by me and many others on this forum) as having quite a severe timing drift when recording usually over 3 minutes (some have reported that this can happen after 30 seconds or a minute). In my case, the video/audio starts going out of sync from the beginning of recording, clapper or not.

It's also been stated that the video cuts itself before the recording is stopped! There are even video examples of this on this here forum!

If your Osmo isn't having these problems it would appear that you are very lucky with your unit, which also suggests that this is a hardware problem, not firmware as many of us are hoping. There are a lot of us who are not so lucky and trying to find out what is going on from DJI is about as painfully frustrating as it gets.

It's interesting to see that @DJI-Adela will only respond (vaguely) to any supposedly 'positive' posts here, yet have nothing at all to say in response to genuine concerns and questions from people like myself who are actually having huge problems with the Osmo.

Questions not answered:

1/ Can this be fixed?
2/ When will this be fixed?
3/ Why doesn't anyone at DJI answer the phone?
4/ or emails?
5/Can I get my refund?
6/Oh, that's why you don't want to answer.
7/ Is this now a trading standards issue?
8/etc.

Finally a response from DJI. Not a good one. Thoughts?

Dear Jxxxx,
Thank you so much for contacting DJI online store.
We would be happy to assist you.However,as per check,this order was received on 12th Nov last year.We are sorry that it is not eligible to return according to the return policy.
You may refer to the link attached for more details.If you have any problems with using it,kindly please send email to support@dji.com.
We do apologize for the inconvenience caused.
Have a good one.
http://store.dji.com/help/return/policy

Best Regards
DJI Online Store

2016-3-10
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

jaleaman@me.com Posted at 2016-3-10 09:06
If you record 10 mins of Audio on your Zoom recorder You will have 10 mins of Audio.

If you record ...

That's interesting.

No, I didn't realise that there were problems with the video stream as well. I've only checked the audio against a recorder and noticed the drift over short recording times.

Learn something new, eh!

I must test mine, and see if it also has a video problem.  There seems to be an inconstistancy in the problems encountered (e.g. I've noticed few if any "clicks" in the small amount of recording that I've done, whereas for some people it's a fairly frequent occurrence).

I'm not too concerned about the video failing to record the last few frames, as I usually allow 5 secs or so before and after each take -- but it will be interesting to see how consistent this is, if I can replicate it.

So -- some more testing in the next few days.

2016-3-10
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

jaleaman@me.com Posted at 2016-3-10 09:06

If you record ...

"...Finally a response from DJI. Not a good one. Thoughts?

Dear Jxxxx,
    Thank you so much for contacting DJI online store.
    We would be happy to assist you.However,as per check,this order was received on 12th Nov last year.We are sorry that it is not eligible to return according to the return policy..."

Did you buy it direct from dji? That sounds  bad if the warranty's no good.

I bought mine  and the rest of the Osmo attachments (except filters) , from cvp in December(?) -- so if it proved a problem I could always return it under current consumer legislation.

2016-3-10
Use props
jaleaman
lvl.1

United Kingdom

LenMiddx Posted at 2016-3-10 12:57
"...Finally a response from DJI. Not a good one. Thoughts?

Dear Jxxxx,

Yes - I bought direct from DJI. I gave them the good grace to wait for the FlexiMic patch, which eventually came through last  week, but it clearly wasn't going to fix the problem.

I love how they sign off the email: "Have a good one" !!!

Thanks.
2016-3-10
Use props
jaleaman
lvl.1

United Kingdom

thelizirons.gma Posted at 2016-3-10 14:56
That is awesome, Adela, that DJI is addressing this in the next update.  I look forward to it.

I'm specifically looking 1b and 1c
2016-3-10
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

thelizirons.gma Posted at 2016-3-10 14:55
... also... have you checked out Pluraleyes?   Really cool app, no clapper needed ever again, no m ...

Yes, I've used  Plural Eyes in the past, back in the days when I used DSLRs or bridge cameras for video occasionally with a Zoom H4n. But since I moved to a  video camera with both 3.5mm and XLR inputs I haven't found the need for it. And -- of course -- FCP X can now handle multi-camera input. But -- as you say -- a very nice piece of software and very, very fast -- and useful to sync a lot of clips in one go.

2016-3-10
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

thelizirons.gma Posted at 2016-3-10 14:54
I understand how audio is traditionally recorded.  This camera, though, claims to record audio.  

I understand how audio is traditionally recorded.  

OK -- my apologies if I sounded as though I was talking down to you. It's sometimes hard to judge these things.

This camera, though, claims to record audio.  
Of course, you can always use an external recorder.   But that sort of takes away from the "stealth" nature of the OSMO.   Don't you think?  ...and they should not advertise that it records audio, if the audio is unusable.

Yes, indeed. I imagine that the fault was there (and probably known about) when the device was issued. I'm hoping that when a fix is available, that it's a simple firmware upgrade.

Someone did post (in this thread?) that a beta of the latest firmware-to-come resolved these issues -- so, not much to be done until then.

The other thing that has confused one or two people, is that the advertising mentions two audio channels, which some people took to mean stereo recording, rather than dual-mono which it is.

Fortunately (for me, that is) I'm more interested in the very good stabilized motion-oriented video that it produces.

ADDS: I should have mentioned that for me, video photography is just a hobby  -- if I depended on this for part of my livelihood I wouldn't be quite so laid-back.
2016-3-10
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

jaleaman@me.com Posted at 2016-3-10 15:00

I'm specifically looking 1b and 1c

The problem with that is their get-out-of-jail-free card in the preamble:   the "7-day warranty".

This really shows a lack of confidence in the product.  Maybe Dji_Adela could comment?
2016-3-10
Use props
jaleaman
lvl.1

United Kingdom

LenMiddx Posted at 2016-3-10 17:02
The problem with that is their get-out-of-jail-free card in the preamble:   the "7-day warranty". ...

I know - it's pretty bad. I can't think of another product with a 1 week warrantee. 1 WEEK?!!

It's almost like they're saying - "You bought it so it's your fault if it's a dud"

I won't be buying DJI again, and I'm in the market for a drone too.

The real shame is that if want to get any kind of money back for this I'm going to have to try it on eBay and lie to whomever wants to buy it : "uh, yeah, it's fine. Nothing wrong with it"
2016-3-10
Use props
DaveK
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Been away for a couple of days and just catching up - fingers crossed that the firmware update will resolve this audio drift problem.

FWIW - My Osmo doesn't have a problem recording video in proper time - it's just the audio that can't be relied upon. If I record 10 minutes of video on the Osmo, and 10 minutes of audio externally (on a Tascam DR-40), it will sync up just fine.

In practice, I'm running the Tascam's line out into the Osmo to get an audio slate onto the video track. It works OK, but as I posted a few days ago, it also highlights just how bad the Osmo's audio recording is as shown here:

It's out by the end of the one-second slate beep,

2016-3-10
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DaveK Posted at 2016-3-10 22:14
Been away for a couple of days and just catching up - fingers crossed that the firmware update will  ...

Well, that's interesting Dave.

It seems that a lot of people are having problems with audio and video but not necessarily the same when it come to the details.

If we are all running the same firmware, that can only suggest hardware differences between the different batches of Osmos (Osmii?) as they are shipped. Presumably the latest ones out of the factory will be the least problematic. (Just speculation, of course.)
2016-3-11
Use props
DaveK
lvl.2

United Kingdom

LenMiddx Posted at 2016-3-11 15:00
Well, that's interesting Dave.

It seems that a lot of people are having problems with audio and v ...

I'm inclined to agree that it looks more like a hardware problem - whether that can be reined in by a firmware update, I have no clue tbh!

And its definitely Osmii ;)
2016-3-11
Use props
jaleaman
lvl.1

United Kingdom

If it is a hardware issue (and it almost definitely is) DJI are washing their hands of it - at least going by the emails I've been getting.
2016-3-15
Use props
rodAndTheCat
Second Officer

New Zealand

jaleaman@me.com Posted at 2016-3-15 22:23
If it is a hardware issue (and it almost definitely is) DJI are washing their hands of it - at least ...

At least you have been getting some answers- :@
Rod and the cat
2016-3-15
Use props
jaleaman
lvl.1

United Kingdom

rodAndTheCat Posted at 2016-3-15 10:23
At least you have been getting some answers-
Rod and the cat

Believe me - answers they aint.
2016-3-15
Use props
Zillymo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 85 ft
United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-3-9 22:23
Hello, LenMiddx

Thanks for your understanding!

My fingers are crossed that this gets fixed.   Thanks for the info, Adela
2016-3-16
Use props
Kalifornia
Ban Posts

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-3-17
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Zillymo Posted at 2016-3-16 16:40
My fingers are crossed that this gets fixed.   Thanks for the info, Adela

No indication as to whether the latest firmware release is going to solve this problem. -- so, not looking good. But let's wait and see (I'm just waiting for some brave soul to say that they've updated successfully before I give it a go).
2016-3-17
Use props
Casey Preston
lvl.2

LenMiddx Posted at 2016-3-18 02:33
No indication as to whether the latest firmware release is going to solve this problem. -- so, not ...

We've all been waiting impatiently for the next firmware update, but now that it has dropped none of us has the courage to test it.  The DJI dilemma.
2016-3-17
Use props
DaveK
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Right - I've updated to 1.5.2.0 and did this quick test. This video is lifted directly from the SD card, no editing or tweaking with a Rode Videomic Pro straight into the Osmo,

2016-3-18
Use props
rhs_access
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DaveK Posted at 2016-3-18 14:37
Right - I've updated to 1.5.2.0 and did this quick test. This video is lifted directly from the SD c ...

I updated to 1.5.2.0 today and been testing it with various different durations of takes from 1 - 6 mins.

Everything looks to be fine!
Saying that I never really tested it before the update but certainly have now and not had a problem.
I was using the RODE external mic from the DJI store.

2016-3-18
Use props
nico_mav
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1858852 ft
Greece

can you please test it with that new firmware 1.5 to tell us if the sound qualite is still good ?
2016-3-18
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

OK, I've just updated to the new firmware and carried out a short (20 minute) test:

An external mono mike is connected to a pre-amp; the pre-amp is then connected to both the Osmo, and to a Roland R-26 recorder.

The test is run for 20 minutes with a 1kHz tone inserted into the recording at approximately 5 minute intervals, along with some random speech recording.

The two recordings were then loaded into FCP X and compared:

(a) The two recordings matched all the way up to the file limit -- so, no sync problems any more
(b) The Osmo's sound and video matched at the start of the recording
(c) There was no loss of video or sound at the end of the recording

So -- the major (reported) faults have been fixed.

The fan stayed off during the 20 minutes of recording, which means that you can get your mic close to the Osmo and not pick up any noise

All good so far, but just one problem to think about.

You are limited to 4.2GB per file, at which point the Osmo will start up a new file.

On my Osmo, recording 4k at 25fps this means about 9 minutes and 20 seconds per file.

The move between files is not lossless ... and YOU WILL LOSE 2 SECONDS OF RECORDING.

In most cases this shouldn't prove a problem, but if you are interviewing someone you will need to be aware of the time limit and stop/start again before that limit so that you don't lose anything.

So -- and excellent update for sound ....... but there is still work to do to provide a seamless transition between files.

osmo_640.jpg
2016-3-19
Use props
Jagman16
lvl.1

United Kingdom

LenMiddx Posted at 2016-3-19 12:48
OK, I've just updated to the new firmware and carried out a short (20 minute) test:

An external mon ...

Len,
Thanks for the heads up on The file change over glitch.

2016-3-19
Use props
drikin
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

I recently purchased DJI OSMO in June 2016. I also have a same issue. My video occasionally(not always) unsync audio. I tried a couple of different SD card but it's still happening.
I wonder if DJI already fixed this issue or not.
2016-6-13
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

drikin Posted at 2016-6-14 14:02
I recently purchased DJI OSMO in June 2016. I also have a same issue. My video occasionally(not alwa ...

Hello, Drikin,
Have you upgraded the firmware to the latest one?
In the latest firmware, there shouldn't be the synchronization issue.

Wait for your confirmation.
Thanks.
2016-6-13
Use props
alansworld
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27434 ft
  • >>>

I've completely given up on audio with the OSMO.  The built-in mic is just perfectly useless, and audio using it is no better even with the recent firmware upgrade which causes the fan to switch off during recording.  Just a few days ago my dealer sent me the new flexi mike.  Useless - either it or the OSMO audio processor.  Over a second out of sync, plus in every clip it sound like somebody is frying bacon.  I'll stick with offline audio using my Tascam and face the sync in post-processing. At least the kitchen is closed with the Tascam.
2016-6-14
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

alansworld@gmai Posted at 2016-6-14 16:09
I've completely given up on audio with the OSMO.  The built-in mic is just perfectly useless, and au ...

Hello.
please note that the built-in Mic is just for reference, to get a better audio recording quality, please use an external Mic. Unfortunately, the Flexi Mic is not supposed to solve the audio issue, please refer to some recommended external Mic for a better quality in the official website: http://www.dji.com/product/osmo/info#specs

Actually, the fan can be set as "on" always, please go to Camera icon->(scroll down) Mic/Audio Control, and set whether you want to mute the fun during recording or not.

Our engineers will try to improve the quality of the audio in the future.
Thanks for your support and understanding.
2016-6-14
Use props
alansworld
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27434 ft
  • >>>

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-6-14 18:03
Hello.
please note that the built-in Mic is just for reference, to get a better audio recording qu ...

"Actually, the fan can be set as "on" always, please go to Camera icon->(scroll down) Mic/Audio Control, and set whether you want to mute the fun during recording or not."

I'm sure you're correct, but since the sound is worth minus 10 with the fan OFF, I fail to understand why anybody would want to make it worth minus 25 by setting the fan to always on!
2016-6-14
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

alansworld@gmai Posted at 2016-6-14 09:09
I've completely given up on audio with the OSMO.  The built-in mic is just perfectly useless, and au ...

"... I'll stick with offline audio using my Tascam and face the sync in post-processing..."

Tell us more about the sync problem that you're having (I'm assuming that you're running with the latest firmware?).
2016-6-14
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

alansworld@gmai Posted at 2016-6-14 22:37
"Actually, the fan can be set as "on" always, please go to Camera icon->(scroll down) Mic/Audio Co ...

Hi alansworld,
The fan is used to cool the unit mainly, for sake of safety, it's necessary to keep the fan spining sometimes.

Thanks.
2016-6-14
Use props
drikin
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-6-14 14:54
Hello, Drikin,
Have you upgraded the firmware to the latest one?
In the latest firmware, there sho ...

Yes, I'm using the latest firmware which 1.6.2.10
This issue is happening very frequently. I also tried different SD card and different format(mp4/mov).
But it's still existing.
2016-6-15
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

drikin Posted at 2016-6-16 14:45
Yes, I'm using the latest firmware which 1.6.2.10
This issue is happening very frequently. I also  ...

Hello.
Have you check LenMiddx's post at 108#?
We may need your original files for our analysis so that we can make a reasonable judgement.

Thanks.
2016-6-16
Use props
ivansolano_ec
New
Flight distance : 63806 ft
Ecuador

DJI Adela 001 Posted at 2016-1-22 03:58
Hello~The reason for Synch issue between Audio and Video varys. If you're trying with your compute ...

hi team DJI have the problem of audio delay with my osmo pro although I think what you fall behind is the video and my job is way too important synchrony as perform music video clips any help to clear this problem is very grateful hope answers of him success.
2016-6-16
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

ivansolano_ec@h Posted at 2016-6-17 07:10
hi team DJI have the problem of audio delay with my osmo pro although I think what you fall behind ...

Hello.
Do you mean the synchrony issue happens in the files saved in the SD card? Please make sure your local WiFi signal is in good condition, if the problem is not out of the WiFi, then please provide the original files for our analysis.

Any more details would be appreciated.
Thanks.
2016-6-16
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules