Fly away (lost) - New Error Message
2255 16 2015-3-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jason
lvl.1

United States

RIP my second inspire.  
This time an error message I've never seen and can't find anyone else talking about it here.  

Wide open field - no power lines in sight.  I was flying a little far away, but not the limit - 3,500ft.  Everything was fine.  Approx 30% battery left - was just about to turn her around.  Error message - I can't remember the exact phrasing, but something about a discharge error.  I lost all controls - it was just hovering in place.  I pressed return to home - it says "going home", but nothing happens.  I start running as fast as I can toward it to try and get a better signal.  It's just hovering...unresponsive.  The battery slowly depleting.  

At this point I'm curious if it's really hovering that perfectly or if the image is frozen - has anyone had a frozen image or does it usually cut to black?  The battery eventually dies and I never regain any control.  We quickly drive to the last point it was on the map and search the entire area.  No sign of it.  I have a feeling it did not go down where it was showing on the map.

The worst part about this one is having absoluetly no idea what went wrong and not finding any similar stories here.  My first bird lost control at an even lesser distance.  

So depressing.  I could suck it up if I felt like it was my fault.  Sure, flying that far away is a little ballsy, but it's not near the rated maximum range.   

2015-3-16
Use props
howie121218
lvl.3

United States

Jason, I am so sorry for your lose. that's such a terrible thing happened on this much price quad. not sure how DJI gonna response to the accident, but it sounds like you got a defective inspire 1. How long have you flew this one? and you lose both of them all because of flying away?
2015-3-16
Use props
jason
lvl.1

United States

How long have you flew this one? and you lose both of them all because of flying away?

The first one lost signal at around 2000ft away, tried to return to home and hit a tree.  In that case, I was in a hilly area, so maybe it thought it was high enough to clear any obstacles.  
2015-3-16
Use props
howie121218
lvl.3

United States

jason@shrine.la Posted at 2015-3-17 10:36
The first one lost signal at around 2000ft away, tried to return to home and hit a tree.  In that  ...

well, couldn't say anything about the first case, did you setup fail return home height? again the second case sounds like something wrong with the bird...
Did you get your first one to DJI fixed?

I lose my first one cz the props fell off when it's in the air around 20 feet, I returned to DJI, its being repaired. I got my second one, so far so good...
2015-3-16
Use props
jason
lvl.1

United States

The first one is back at DJI.  Have not received an update since Feb 25th when it was checked into the que.  

I will for sure never fly again without a gps tracker.
2015-3-16
Use props
hcpilot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 33763 ft
United States

Guys............why are you pushing it so far??? The Inspire 1 is new and there are bugs to be worked out!! Be patient and keep it close and enjoy it!! DJI will work out the bugs in due time and even make improvements!! Its expensive no need to push it to its limits so fast!!!! I keep mine close and have such a great time flying it!!! No Problems at all so far!!!!
2015-3-16
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

HInd sight is 20 20 this is crappy news to hear ,and Jason this is a stumper for sure what really went wrong may never be know..ugh
...I agree HC I fly a max of 300 feet out maybe a bit more and nothing more till this software is worked out could be months from now if not longer
2015-3-16
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

What I can't figure is if you knew the battery was near empty why were you that far away? Also, if you knew the battery was near full discharge why didn't you do the math on the maximum possible distance it could fly at its last recorded speed, go there and work back? If you did loose it it's highly unlikely it would turn. It would either fall or go straight. Eventually run out of juice and fall. Check the flight record on your app it will show the trail, it's recorded on the app.
2015-3-16
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

Jason, feel so sorry for your loss. Could you pls upload the last flight record?
Is it a "check_battery_discharge_current" error you mean? This error indicates that the flight current is too large, you need to decrease drastic flight actions.
2015-3-16
Use props
Captain Obvious
lvl.4

Australia

Like I have said before...What if it's not the Inspire itself but the controller at fault?
It to could be part of this whole loss of signal issue...Maybe it is'nt able to transmit
a strong enough signal great distances like the 1.066 Km's  above?

Must be a way too test them.
2015-3-16
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

jason@shrine.la Posted at 2015-3-17 10:54
The first one is back at DJI.  Have not received an update since Feb 25th when it was checked into t ...

Jason,

When you got your second Inspire, did you get new controller or was the aircraft just replaced ?  Perhaps if the controller wast not replaced there is some fault with that.
2015-3-17
Use props
Pgaucher
lvl.4
Flight distance : 368983 ft
Hong Kong

This is very sad to hear and I can only feel for you and the loss of back to back Inspires.

At first glance, this looks like a loss in video feed followed by a loss of GPS signal resulting in the bird drifting until GPS kicked back in and/or until the battery died. I experienced video feed issues with my first unit and it was replaced by DJI. Image was freezing up sometimes, while other times the screen turned blue/green and then all video feed was lost. GPS loss also has come up a lot on this forum so it's not impossible. Having both issues occur simultaneously is really bad luck. It might not at all be that either,  but either way it is frustrating.

I don't buy the argument of flying too far away. We purchase these things with the intent of extending the range compared to a Phantom, and if I limit myself to 300 feet, I might as well buy a Parrot Bebop (which I would never do). At $3000, this thing is supposed to fly far, and be reliable.

For reference, I went to the Maldives last month and flew over 2.7km (8910 feet away) from the point of origin with no video or control issues at all. Footage is spectacular (see link below).

If you can stomach it, why not get a 3rd Inspire ;-)
2015-3-17
Use props
howie121218
lvl.3

United States

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-3-17 14:49
Jason, feel so sorry for your loss. Could you pls upload the last flight record?
Is it a "check_bat ...

If so, why this will happen? when it's happen, what should we do with it?
Thank you.
2015-3-17
Use props
hcpilot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 33763 ft
United States

Pgaucher@me.com Posted at 2015-3-17 19:20
This is very sad to hear and I can only feel for you and the loss of back to back Inspires.

At fir ...

Im not saying that we shouldnt be able to use the Inspire as advertised and fly it out to its max range. Just be patient let the bugs get worked out!!! I for one cant afford to buy 3 inspires!!! If people keep pushing the limits before this bug is worked out and their Inspire flys off by itself and is lost forever well i guess that is their decision!!! I will say it again BE PATIENT!!!! This is a new bird its going to have bugs!!! Let them fix the problems !!! If you have deep pockets and can afford to buy 3 or 4 or more Inspires then push it as much as your heart desires!!!!
2015-3-17
Use props
jason
lvl.1

United States

How can I upload the last flight record?  Does the iPad/pilot app record it??

In regards to flying farther away - I get what everyone is saying and I wouldn't do it again, but essentially we are being used as guinea pigs for a new product, but paying full price for the product that should have continued to be tested by DJI before release.  If they wanted to rush the release, they should be willing to replace units.  They're treating it like it's a piece of beta software.  

I don't know what most people here are buying them for, but I bought mine to capture cinematic shots for videos and that cannot be achieved within a 300ft radius.  
2015-3-17
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

howie121218@gma Posted at 2015-3-18 02:17
If so, why this will happen? when it's happen, what should we do with it?
Thank you.

A massive weight usually cause this error warning. So I cannot make sure that is the right one he saw on the screen.
When it's happen, we need to move our stickys slightly and landing.
2015-3-17
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

jason@shrine.la Posted at 2015-3-18 04:49
How can I upload the last flight record?  Does the iPad/pilot app record it??

In regards to flyin ...

User Center >> Flight Record.
2015-3-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules