9686 217 2017-7-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
In31QwDwZn0c
New
Flight distance : 7 ft
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2017-7-8 10:01
U need internet only ONCE after the firmware upgrade....
I feel for you, but.. either you upgraded and did not test before a big and serous job, or DJI is wrong, and what they said is not true..
The idea was supposed to be - upgrade app and firmware, the next flight has to have internet available, the system will ask you to login to your go account again and validate.

Tell me I'm wrong.. I have 2 cell phones and 2 tablets, but I don't have a mobile account because I'm retired and use a landline. So it looks like I have no way to "verify" in order to use updates or the simulator.
2017-7-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

In31QwDwZn0c Posted at 2017-7-22 20:59
Tell me I'm wrong.. I have 2 cell phones and 2 tablets, but I don't have a mobile account because I'm retired and use a landline. So it looks like I have no way to "verify" in order to use updates or the simulator.

So, you are saying you don't have access to the Internet at all - anywhere ?
2017-7-22
Use props
Justin Case
First Officer
Flight distance : 1664583 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2017-7-22 21:31
So, you are saying you don't have access to the Internet at all - anywhere ?

This is my first post and I am very, very confuse.
I am pondering whether upgrade my P4P+ or not.
First of all, what happens if I do not upgrade? I would be very happy to leave it as it is, but last week I had a few scary moments and I fear that they can be related to not upgrading.
From what I read on forums, the firmware upgrade seems to be harder than sending a community of people on planet Mars.
But the main problem is that apparently after the upgrade you are geofenced out of all the yellow areas (zone D, C and so on), areas where it is perfectly legit to fly with the P4P. To be able to fly there you need an internet connection, which of course I don't have on the P4P+.
If this is the case it is a total deal breaker for me
2017-7-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Justin Case Posted at 2017-7-23 01:20
This is my first post and I am very, very confuse.
I am pondering whether upgrade my P4P+ or not.
First of all, what happens if I do not upgrade? I would be very happy to leave it as it is, but last week I had a few scary moments and I fear that they can be related to not upgrading.

The upgrades, in the main, only add minor things or fix problems. You are not compewlled to upgrade at all, so if you are happy with the way your aircraft performs, then do not upgrade it. People new to the Phantom seem more likel;y to get into trouble performing the upgrade because it is a complex task.

I have a P3P that has not been upgrade since late 2015, and it performs perfectly for the work I want to do with it. To prevent being nagged about upgrading, switch off auto-upgrades on your device and disable WiFi connections.
2017-7-23
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

In31QwDwZn0c Posted at 2017-7-22 20:59

According to      http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system
"VERIFYING YOUR ACCOUNT
Unlocking an Authorization Zone requires a DJI user account verified with a credit card, debit card or mobile phone number. DJI does not collect nor store this information, which is verified by a third party service. Verification is free. A verified account is required only if attempting to fly in an Authorization Zone. "
2017-7-23
Use props
Justin Case
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2017-7-23 01:22
The upgrades, in the main, only add minor things or fix problems. You are not compewlled to upgrade at all, so if you are happy with the way your aircraft performs, then do not upgrade it. People new to the Phantom seem more likel;y to get into trouble performing the upgrade because it is a complex task.

I have a P3P that has not been upgrade since late 2015, and it performs perfectly for the work I want to do with it. To prevent being nagged about upgrading, switch off auto-upgrades on your device and disable WiFi connections.

Thank you for your reply.
Same for me, I am perfectly happy with the way my P4Pro+ works and I would very happily skip the upgrade if possible.
But everyone here in this forum seems to complain about "forced upgrade", as if it was compulsory.
Hence my confusion
2017-7-23
Use props
Justin Case
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-7-23 02:43
According to      http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system
"VERIFYING YOUR ACCOUNT
Unlocking an Authorization Zone requires a DJI user account verified with a credit card, debit card or mobile phone number. DJI does not collect nor store this information, which is verified by a third party service. Verification is free. A verified account is required only if attempting to fly in an Authorization Zone. "

I don't have an internet connection with my bird, and cannot have one since it is a P4Pro+, without a tablet or smartphone.
What I understand from DJI page is that if you intend to fly on a yellow or green area you can unlock it on a computer in advance within 72 hours.
Can someone confirm that is true?
2017-7-23
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

My point exactly. I expressed my concerns when the release came out on the update only to be scorned by an individual that doesn't know what he is talking about. I am commercial and licensed and I cannot afford these issues. I feel your frustration along with many others I bought the P4P for its attributes and now they are harnessed. I had to buy another companies drone to ensure my work and avoid what has happened to you.
2017-7-23
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

Justin Case Posted at 2017-7-23 03:18
I don't have an internet connection with my bird, and cannot have one since it is a P4Pro+, without a tablet or smartphone.
What I understand from DJI page is that if you intend to fly on a yellow or green area you can unlock it on a computer in advance within 72 hours.
Can someone confirm that is true?

This seems to be confirmed by the ""Flight Planner" (I haven't used it yet, so I'm just telling you what DJI says). But you can always use an external phone or tablet as a WiFi hotspot to get an internet connection to your P4P+ controller
2017-7-23
Use props
Justin Case
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-7-23 05:30
This seems to be confirmed by the ""Flight Planner" (I haven't used it yet, so I'm just telling you what DJI says). But you can always use an external phone or tablet as a WiFi hotspot to get an internet connection to your P4P+ controller

Thanks for your reply.
I would like to hear first hand experiences with the flight planner, if it really works as advertised.
Also, this geofencing applies only to the latest update or also to previous versions.
Using a smartphone or a tablet is not a solution: I don't own one and I do not intend to buy one
2017-7-23
Use props
Vendex
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16722920 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

You'll just have to check your drone and firmware sometimes, do not forget this because it is important and you need internet only once. Read first, than use the product.
2017-7-23
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

Justin Case Posted at 2017-7-23 06:06
Thanks for your reply.
I would like to hear first hand experiences with the flight planner, if it really works as advertised.
Also, this geofencing applies only to the latest update or also to previous versions.

Geofencing has been there for some time, but in previous versions of DJI GO 4 there was a button to turn it off. This button was taken away in the latest release, quite possibly because of governments' pressure (Not necessarily the Chinese or ONLY the Chinese....) -Do you have internet at home? A WiFi Router ?
2017-7-23
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

This might interest somebody...  https://www.loc.gov/law/help/regulation-of-drones/china.php
2017-7-23
Use props
Justin Case
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-7-23 06:44
Geofencing has been there for some time, but in previous versions of DJI GO 4 there was a button to turn it off. This button was taken away in the latest release, quite possibly because of governments' pressure (Not necessarily the Chinese or ONLY the Chinese....) -Do you have internet at home? A WiFi Router ?

Yes I have a very powerful tower PC. I do video with heavy post processing.
So, as far as I understand, if I am not forced into the upgrade, I am a very happy camper with my previous version
2017-7-23
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-7-23 03:59
My point exactly. I expressed my concerns when the release came out on the update only to be scorned by an individual that doesn't know what he is talking about. I am commercial and licensed and I cannot afford these issues. I feel your frustration along with many others I bought the P4P for its attributes and now they are harnessed. I had to buy another companies drone to ensure my work and avoid what has happened to you.

Are you referring to this thread?  http://forum.dji.com/thread-99610-1-1.html ("Phantom 4 Pro is now useless to those that use them commercially")
2017-7-23
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

Justin Case Posted at 2017-7-23 07:08
Yes I have a very powerful tower PC. I do video with heavy post processing.
So, as far as I understand, if I am not forced into the upgrade, I am a very happy camper with my previous version

Then since you have internet at home, you can connect your tablet while at home.(The + Controller' s screen is a proprietary Android tablet and has WiFi...)
2017-7-23
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

ysmith Posted at 2017-7-14 23:47
Internet has nothing to do with this problem. The phone I use for the DJI GO app to fly my phantom has no sim card so the internet only works when WiFi is available, and today I flew out in the country were the nearest WiFi internet was miles away.

That's correct assumption as long as you'll NOT attempt to fly in an restricted area you're NOT AWARE OF ...
2017-7-23
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Vendex Posted at 2017-7-23 06:29
You'll just have to check your drone and firmware sometimes, do not forget this because it is important and you need internet only once. Read first, than use the product.

Not true, at least in P4P+ (plus) case ... It has no internet connection by design, only wifi ... Read first, than use the product ...
2017-7-23
Use props
djordan2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 79291 ft
United States

If I were of a different temperament, I might have been one to create a new thread here and complain like Heck about the DJI and the firmware upgrades.  I have a P3S and a P3Pro.  I have done many updates, and have never had a problem that I could figure out myself.  We all have the same drones, whether it be a P, or one of DJI's other models.  I often wonder why some have so much trouble, and other do not.

Yesterday, I got caught in the dreaded "can't go high, can't go far"  problem with my P3S.  I had done an upgrade some days before, but had not flown it since.  I figured I had better go out and test everything.
Sure enough, it was limited in both height and range.  I have three viewing devices.  One is a Smart phone, one is a less expensive Tablet A, and the other is a more powerful Tablet 337.  All were Samsung.  I started with the Tablet A.  It doesn't have cell phone capability and I was nowhere near an Internet connection.  I could not login to my account, and could not lift the restriction.  So I switched to using P3 Pro and my Tab 337, which I had used the day before with the Pro.  The Pro flew fine.  Went out 9,500 feet just as a test.  Then I continued to use the Tab 337 and fired up the Standard again.  To my amazement, the restrictions were lifted. But the Standard was very unstable in flight.  It wandered around the hover point by as much as 10 feet, and changed hover altitudes by as much as 6 feet.  I was actually afraid to fly it.

When I got back home, I did a IMU and compass calibration on the Standard.  On the next test flight it was rock solid in hover flight and all restrictions were lifted. In the field, I had both a a backup drone, and a backup viewing device.  It was a nice day to fly.  and that I did.
2017-7-23
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-7-23 07:38
Not true, at least in P4P+ (plus) case ... It has no internet connection by design, only wifi ... Read first, than use the product ...

Dobmatt, what for would one use the WiFi connection of the P4P+ controller, other that connecting to the Internet- of course through a hotspot?
2017-7-23
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

And they wonder why people are hacking their drones.
2017-7-23
Use props
pat_L
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-7-23
Use props
pat_L
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-7-23
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-7-23 09:05
Dobmatt, what for would one use the WiFi connection of the P4P+ controller, other that connecting to the Internet- of course through a hotspot?

Antonio, I don't know ... Perhaps it will work, but in rural Canada - in the name of love - YOU MUST KNOW THE F.....G PASSWORD TO ACCESS AVAILABLE LOCAL WIFI!!! How do you expect that when you stop at rest area (that's how we call places with toilets and picnic tables near highways), see a nice scenery to film, but your p4p won't take off because you're in Enhanced Warning Zone ... Hot spot??? I have no idea what's that, I have no smartphone and I don't intend to buy one. I'm not looking for workarounds, I want to film and photograph landscapes with my P4P+ drone. Is that simple ... Antonio, we're talking about TRAVELING with drones and documenting the trip as it progresses, not flying above backyard to impress barbecue party guests. That's where the entire concept of P4P falls apart in some places. Other than that, it's a wonderful piece of technology ...
2017-7-23
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

pat_L Posted at 2017-7-23 12:47
DJI has absolutely some of the worst programmers out there. The fact that some of their employees refer to them as "engineering" is a mockery. Their "customer service" is mostly offshore in the Phillipines. They don't communicate and they state conflicting things, or they simply lie.

The company essentially pays bottom of the barrel. Their employees in California are rejects of the highest (or lowest?) order. Do you think their Chinese poorly-paid programmers are any better? It's not like DJI competes with real companies like MS, Google, Apple, etc for hires. Their "support team" consists of a small few shills, one of whom is part time, and all of whom couldn't get a job at the Geek Squad if they tried. They rely on forum shills to be their Kellyanne Conways.

pat_L, did you noticed the name of house owners before entering this party???
2017-7-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-7-23 15:12
pat_L, did you noticed the name of house owners before entering this party???

Don't worry, the "employees in California (who) are rejects of the highest (or lowest?) order." will sort him out.
2017-7-23
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-7-23 07:11
Are you referring to this thread?  http://forum.dji.com/thread-99610-1-1.html ("Phantom 4 Pro is now useless to those that use them commercially")

Yes Antonio.
2017-7-24
Use props
Fiveform 2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 136230 ft
  • >>>
United States

I updated to the latest firmware three days ago.  This weekend I ran some test flights with both my P4P and Mavic, both with this fw update. Of the three devices I used for display only one, which I hadn't previously logged into my DJI account with, gave me a problem with start-up. This device was WiFi, only. However, another tablet which was used to do the update, and is WiFi only, had no problems out in the field without internet. It would appear to me that once your login is recognized you can then boot your device and start-up and fly. Is there some other mitigating reason why you would need an internet connection in the field in order to fly?
2017-7-24
Use props
Fiveform 2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 136230 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-7-9 05:32
According to the app description flight is restricted unless connected.  It doesn't say anything about "one time" in DJI's description.

Yes, exactly my experience, as well.  One-time login was all my WiFi, only, tablet needed.
2017-7-24
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

fans48d5fee1 Posted at 2017-7-24 04:54
Sorry but it is people like you that are giving us more and more restrictions. If you are not allowed to fly there wel you are not allowed.

Canada has really some restricted drone law in place ...

I think you have totally misunderstood Dobmatt's point, which I understand and respect.  The issue is finding a foolproof way to unlock  areas where actually it is permitted to fly, not to fly in NOT-UNLOCKABLE NFZs. Also, I don't see a reason why DJI should be allowed to lock areas much wider than they actually need to be, following local rules -if this is what they are doing... (I still think that local governments may have some responsibility for it)
2017-7-24
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

Fiveform 2 Posted at 2017-7-24 05:00
I updated to the latest firmware three days ago.  This weekend I ran some test flights with both my P4P and Mavic, both with this fw update. Of the three devices I used for display only one, which I hadn't previously logged into my DJI account with, gave me a problem with start-up. This device was WiFi, only. However, another tablet which was used to do the update, and is WiFi only, had no problems out in the field without internet. It would appear to me that once your login is recognized you can then boot your device and start-up and fly. Is there some other mitigating reason why you would need an internet connection in the field in order to fly?

Only if needed to unlock an area subjected to geofencing (new areas can be created from one day to the other, for example, VIPs presence in the area...) -and in some cases this can be a real p.i.t.a. ...
2017-7-24
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

fans48d5fee1 Posted at 2017-7-24 04:54
Sorry but it is people like you that are giving us more and more restrictions. If you are not allowed to fly there wel you are not allowed.

Canada has really some restricted drone law in place ...

Oh, it hurts ... so judgemental, so brutal, so untrue ... I'm devastated ...
2017-7-24
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-7-24 06:18
Oh, it hurts ... so judgemental, so brutal, so untrue ... I'm devastated ...

Don't cry, Dobmatt.  He's envyous and upset because they don't let him have the boudin (there's a VERY good reason for that...)
2017-7-24
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ok gents...  I know I'll stir the beans with this, but if you can't play nicely, you shouldn't play at all.  This thread is being diluted by personal attacks.  We have more important things to accomplish than flaming at each other.

Just sayin'
Matt
2017-7-24
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-7-24 08:17
Ok gents...  I know I'll stir the beans with this, but if you can't play nicely, you shouldn't play at all.  This thread is being diluted by personal attacks.  We have more important things to accomplish than flaming at each other.

Just sayin'

Agree 100%, we'll behave from now on ...
2017-7-24
Use props
Mactech
lvl.2
United States

Jeffames226 Posted at 2017-7-8 10:24
Doesn't matter really.  He could have done everything right and gotten to his location and received the dreaded "cannot take off" message like I did for the entire week I was on vacation.  DJI decided I shouldn't be able to fly in the Florida panhandle and there was NO WAY to unlock any NFZs.  It was AWESOME to be humiliated by friends and family and ridiculed for wasting $1800 on a worthless "toy" that doesnt fly....good times....good times!

This is exactly the same thing that happened to me just outside of Destin Fl.    5 days of unable to fly because of the 'cannot take off' message.  Couldn't log in to unlock until the day I was leaving and it was raining.  

Sad.

No more DJI for me after spending thousands on P4, P4 and P4P. No more money from me for any DJI product.
2017-7-24
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

wow! this is still going strong, with blaming dji and complaining about NFZ? I guess some people should just sell their DJI and go with another brand... it's a free world! Goodluck!
Have been flying my Adv and Pro, on new firmware, happily, for quite some time now, on the new firmware.. fun! Not sure why I am so lucky and problem free, but I like it...! Actually, last night I decided to suspend my 360 camera below the craft, and it flew perfectly! Still working on the video! Fun fun fun... ;) Wish you all all the best - hope the issues gets resolved and u can fly well, happily, and responsibly!
IMG_20170723_202751-05.JPG

Before 360 conversion

Before 360 conversion
2017-7-24
Use props
fansb2edd25e
lvl.3
Flight distance : 736775 ft
United States

hotspot from your cell might be worth  20/month
2017-7-24
Use props
Jeffames226
lvl.2
United States

fansb2edd25e Posted at 2017-7-24 13:52
hotspot from your cell might be worth  20/month

hotspot for what?  I had full internet and couldn't unlock NFZ.  That's the problem that some people just aren't getting.   It is NOT POSSIBLE to unlock a lot of these NFZ's and even if it is it could take days and then your vacation is over.  
2017-7-24
Use props
Jeffames226
lvl.2
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2017-7-24 13:45
wow! this is still going strong, with blaming dji and complaining about NFZ? I guess some people should just sell their DJI and go with another brand... it's a free world! Goodluck!
Have been flying my Adv and Pro, on new firmware, happily, for quite some time now, on the new firmware.. fun! Not sure why I am so lucky and problem free, but I like it...! Actually, last night I decided to suspend my 360 camera below the craft, and it flew perfectly! Still working on the video! Fun fun fun... ;) Wish you all all the best - hope the issues gets resolved and u can fly well, happily, and responsibly!

Maybe you have been problem free because you haven't had the opportunity to fly outside of your normal areas that work just fine.  Lots of people buy these to travel with though and have no idea if they will be arbitrarily locked out of NFZ's for no reason.  By the time they figure out they need to unlock the area its too late to get it unlocked and will have to wait days.  And before people start saying they should have looked it up before they went on vacation....REALLY?   Who they hell knows where they might want to spontaneously catch some great footage!   It is ABSURD to have DJI control where and when we can fly like this.  
2017-7-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules