7203 102 2017-7-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fumik
New
Flight distance : 186306 ft
United States

Hi All,

I have issue after update - My phantom is not able to connect with my controller & app : it looks like this:
https:// ww w.youtube.com/watch?v=-tijJ6enRRc

Please remove space from link as i was not allowed to post URL lol

Anyone having similar issue? How to fix it - I tried to reinstall update, restore factory defaults etc
2017-8-3
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Fumik Posted at 2017-8-3 03:19
Hi All,

I have issue after update - My phantom is not able to connect with my controller & app : it looks like this:

Spaces removed (two of them)

Have you updated the controller firmware as well ?

In 'general settings menu', have a look at 'About' (at bottom of menu list)

RC & Aircraft should be at:-

• Aircraft Firmware: v02.00.0106
• Remote Controller Firmware: v1.9.2.0  
2017-8-3
Use props
Imovetheearth
lvl.3
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-2 17:59
You have updated RC as well ?

Took flight yesterday morning for at least 1/2 hour. I had no issues with the video link. There wasn't one glitch. Anyway, yes, I did update RC and did that first. If I have any more issues, I will do a factory reset, but does that require me to go through the process of updating both the RC and the P4 again. I guess that only makes sense.
Thanks!!
2017-8-4
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Imovetheearth Posted at 2017-8-4 04:20
Took flight yesterday morning for at least 1/2 hour. I had no issues with the video link. There wasn't one glitch. Anyway, yes, I did update RC and did that first. If I have any more issues, I will do a factory reset, but does that require me to go through the process of updating both the RC and the P4 again. I guess that only makes sense.
Thanks!!

"but does that require me to go through the process of updating both the RC and the P4 again."

The factory reset wouldn't I don't think, that resets aircraft though Assistant 2, and doesn't take long if I remember.

The RC can be reset and relinked as follows:-

* Turn on the controller, the aircraft should be off.
* Press C1, C2, and shutter (top right button nearest antenna) on the controller and hold for about 2 seconds or so until it beeps (D-DDD), then turn the controller off.
* Turn on both the aircraft and the controller and link the remote if needed.

This can be done manually (without using DJI Go):-

* Turn on both the aircraft and the controller.
* Press C1, C2, and the record button (top left button) on the controller, then the controller will beep 'D-DD'.
*Let go all fingers, then press the wheel on the right side of the controller (It's a 'click wheel', similar to a mouse wheel) and then the first light of the controller will become blue and it will constantly beep DDDD.
* Use a pen to click the linking button on the aircraft and hold for 3-5 seconds, and then take the pen off the aircraft and wait, it will link soon.

2017-8-4
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-7-21 05:58
Grrr.... I appreciate that people are frustrated by the latest DJI update, I'm frustrated and my P4 is grounded too.  Truthfully, DJI screwed up.  But when Conspiracy theories start flying around (a.k.a. "DJI is purposely trying to ground us"... or "Update repairs must be a high income maker for their repair center", or "DJI Doesn't care about us", etc.) it gets frustrating to listen to.

Software and firmware updates are extremely complicated... EXTREMELY.  So when DJI pops out an update with ubiquitous issues that didn't appear to the beta testers and their own internal testing, it not only takes a while to define the scope of the problem, it takes a while to apply a coding fix and retest.

There's a very simple question I would ask you then... if its so complicated and so hard to get right. Why release an update and then restrict people from rolling back? You are screwing over the majority of your customer base and why? for what reason?
2017-8-4
Use props
martin_bogo
lvl.1
United States

Interestingly enough --- I downgraded my P4 remote control back one step of firmware ( by pressing the "hamburger" in the Go4 app ) then RE upgraded the RC to the latest 1.9 firmware ... and my connection and video sync issues resolved.

I still have issues with flight stability ... there's something not-quite-right going on in the flight controller.
2017-8-4
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Fractures Posted at 2017-8-4 05:39
There's a very simple question I would ask you then... if its so complicated and so hard to get right. Why release an update and then restrict people from rolling back? You are screwing over the majority of your customer base and why? for what reason?

Hi Fractures.... the answers to your question are varied.

MOST companies don't let you backtrack to an earlier version of the firmware.  Firmware is a strange beast.  Any update of firmware risks the chance of bricking your hardware.  Firmware is the bridge between software and the hardware (this is why it is cleverly named "firmware" to indicate it is a link between the two).

If ANYTHING goes wrong during a firmware update (loss of power, glitch, etc) you stand the chance of losing all access to the hardware, literally bricking your computer based machine...sometimes permanently.   This is a universal problem, whether we are talking about drones, computers, modern day video cameras, etc.

Also, by allowing us to backtrack on the firmware, they also need to allow us to backtrack on battery updates and DJIGo Software.  So there would be a substantial infrastructure that DJI would need to code and implement to allow backtracking to a previous firmware version... complete with whole new sets of potential problems.

Since the Software updates seem to be more directly to the firmware updates these days, it makes sense that DJI is no longer allowing backtracking.

I am actually surprised that DJI ever allowed firmware backtracking.  I have never seen this in other firmware-related computerized products.

The biggest problem is that DJI itself is appearing to not weigh the importance of making firmware updates bullet proof.  Problems with software updates are an annoyance that can be fixed easily.  Problems with firmware updates can be potentially devastating and irreversible.  There is no room at all for firmware update bugs.

2017-8-4
Use props
Imovetheearth
lvl.3
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-4 05:10
"but does that require me to go through the process of updating both the RC and the P4 again."

Thanks for that info Aardvark. I'm going to make a few more flights to see how it acts and go from there, Like I said, there wasn't one glitch in the screen when I launched yesterday morning and I was flying in the exact same location. I do have another question on the batteries. I assume when I updated to the latest firmware the other day, the battery I had in the P4 was updated too? If that is true, what is the process on doing my other 2 batteries. I saw this about the batteries in another feed.
Thanks.....Imove......
2017-8-4
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Imovetheearth Posted at 2017-8-4 12:13
Thanks for that info Aardvark. I'm going to make a few more flights to see how it acts and go from there, Like I said, there wasn't one glitch in the screen when I launched yesterday morning and I was flying in the exact same location. I do have another question on the batteries. I assume when I updated to the latest firmware the other day, the battery I had in the P4 was updated too? If that is true, what is the process on doing my other 2 batteries. I saw this about the batteries in another feed.
Thanks.....Imove......

Just the same , insert new battery, run update in Assistant 2, takes about five minutes. Then repeat for each battery.
2017-8-4
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-8-4 08:22
Hi Fractures.... the answers to your question are varied.

MOST companies don't let you backtrack to an earlier version of the firmware.  Firmware is a strange beast.  Any update of firmware risks the chance of bricking your hardware.  Firmware is the bridge between software and the hardware (this is why it is cleverly named "firmware" to indicate it is a link between the two).

I believe it was allowed until June 8th, so all the hoolah about infrastructure is not really relevant. In fact you really cant answer my question because there is no viable answer that DJI can give other than they wanted to introduce a new geo system and force everyone to that new system by removing the means to backtrack. The only problem is this firmware is crap and now they have removed any options we had to fix it ourselves. They've been allowing it forever and just stopped on this specific firmware update.... hmmmm I wonder why?
2017-8-4
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Fractures Posted at 2017-8-4 13:01
I believe it was allowed until June 8th, so all the hoolah about infrastructure is not really relevant. In fact you really cant answer my question because there is no viable answer that DJI can give other than they wanted to introduce a new geo system and force everyone to that new system by removing the means to backtrack. The only problem is this firmware is crap and now they have removed any options we had to fix it ourselves. They've been allowing it forever and just stopped on this specific firmware update.... hmmmm I wonder why?

My answers are totally valid, but you might be right that they removed the ability to downgrade so they can enforce the NFZ paradigm.  Even THIS makes sense to me since they (in their own way) are trying to be good citizens, even though their approach is flawed.  We all know that their implementation of enforcing the NFZ's is a nightmare, so hopefully they will fix it.

My point about the infrastructure is still relevant though.  Just because they HAD been allowing downgrading doesn't mean that it was easy or profitable for them.  They have recently added a bunch of platforms that all run on DJIGO4 (Mavic, Spark, P4 flavors).  So tying the firmware to the "one-app-fits-all" software paradigm makes great business sense for them and for their support teams.  It would be a nightmare for them to manage a matrix of all available variables if they kept DJIGO4 as a bunch of separate platform-dependent applications.

I'm the FIRST to say that DJI messed up with this update, but they didn't do anything maliciously.  That just doesn't make sense.  I think "Growing Pains" are a better way to look at these problems.
2017-8-4
Use props
JCJMC
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2122467 ft
Spain

Meanwhile we're still waiting for DJI to do something.
2017-8-4
Use props
Imovetheearth
lvl.3
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-4 12:32
Just the same , insert new battery, run update in Assistant 2, takes about five minutes. Then repeat for each battery.

Thanks, will give it a try!
2017-8-5
Use props
fansbcc8ea69
New
Australia

Tried updating today and the update got to 99% before it asked me to disconnect than reconnect to finish updating. I did this but it still didn't go past 99%. Now when I connect everything up ther controller on/off light is flickering between red and green and the iPad screen is pixelating. I've tried connecting and looking to download firmware again but its not showing up anywhere. Please help....is it possible to go back to factory settings?

2017-8-5
Use props
ASU Kevin K
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9327 ft
United States

My video transmission is TERRIBlE after the firmware upgrade - it's impossible to fly by FPV because the transmission is so bad - green screen, frozen image, etc - Even with the aircraft on the table, inches from the remote I have video issues... This is incredibly frustrating.

I've verified the remote and the drone are both updated to the latest versions, I am using the DJI Go 4 app (latest version for my iPad mini) and have reset everything to factory settings - nothing seems to work...

Please let me know if anyone else has found a fix for this yet?
2017-8-16
Use props
Pvt Pilot '79
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1000272 ft
United States

ASU Kevin K Posted at 2017-8-16 20:17
My video transmission is TERRIBlE after the firmware upgrade - it's impossible to fly by FPV because the transmission is so bad - green screen, frozen image, etc - Even with the aircraft on the table, inches from the remote I have video issues... This is incredibly frustrating.

I've verified the remote and the drone are both updated to the latest versions, I am using the DJI Go 4 app (latest version for my iPad mini) and have reset everything to factory settings - nothing seems to work...

Have you re-linked your remote to the aircraft?
2017-8-16
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansbcc8ea69 Posted at 2017-8-5 22:23
Tried updating today and the update got to 99% before it asked me to disconnect than reconnect to finish updating. I did this but it still didn't go past 99%. Now when I connect everything up ther controller on/off light is flickering between red and green and the iPad screen is pixelating. I've tried connecting and looking to download firmware again but its not showing up anywhere. Please help....is it possible to go back to factory settings?

You need to update the RC to version 1.9.2:-

Connect display and RC and power both up, RC must have a good internet connection. Open DJI Go 4 and at the top of page tap on line that may say 'aircraft disconnected' or similar.  This should open up the aircraft status menu. Tap on line that says  'Overall Status' (The one with the red triangle at the right). You may have to wait a short while for this to appear. This will take you to the RC firmware update. That was how I did mine. And that is how I have described it to others and it has worked for them.

Make sure your display device has a good internet connection. Battery on RC also needs to be at least 50% charged, fully charged would be best.

That should update RC to 1.9.2. Reboot all, and connection to aircraft should be good.
2017-8-17
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ASU Kevin K Posted at 2017-8-16 20:17

Your RC is at build 1.9.2 ? (check in 'about' at bottom of 'General Settings' menu). If not then you will get bad transmission.

Which device are you using ? Some are not capable of running the latest DJI Go 4 very well.
2017-8-17
Use props
ASU Kevin K
lvl.1
United States

Pvt Pilot '79 Posted at 2017-8-16 20:40
Have you re-linked your remote to the aircraft?

I re-linked (again) and it seems to be working much better - I will test it more this weekend when I have more time... thanks for the tip
2017-8-17
Use props
ASU Kevin K
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-17 01:39
Your RC is at build 1.9.2 ? (check in 'about' at bottom of 'General Settings' menu). If not then you will get bad transmission.

Which device are you using ? Some are not capable of running the latest DJI Go 4 very well.

Yes I have 1.9.2 - I am running an iPad Mini 2 with Retina display... I re-linked the remote and aircraft (again) and it seems to be working better but won't have time to really test it until this weekend - appreciate the tip and I will report back when I get more time in the air to put it through it's paces...
2017-8-17
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

martin_bogo Posted at 2017-8-4 06:00
Interestingly enough --- I downgraded my P4 remote control back one step of firmware ( by pressing the "hamburger" in the Go4 app ) then RE upgraded the RC to the latest 1.9 firmware ... and my connection and video sync issues resolved.

I still have issues with flight stability ... there's something not-quite-right going on in the flight controller.

By chance, are you using an iOS device with your P4? And if so, is your device overheating and causing the video feed quality to go down the tube?

We have an inspire 2, and the latest firmware update and app updates completely killed it -- it still works, but the performance and reliability is garbage compared to prior to the updates.

And since we can't downgrade anything except the RC anymore, I'm completely hosed.
2017-8-17
Use props
Slipstrm111
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5256 ft
United States

Going past 6 weeks is way too long!!! Official Rollback or Buyback!
2017-8-18
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

This thread is a duplicate. Please continue discussion here rather than having 2 discussions open on the same topic: http://forum.dji.com/thread-103711-1-1.html
2017-8-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules