Just a quick rant about new owners
1607 51 2017-7-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansfcc89423
lvl.2
United States

Flying Wolf_NOL Posted at 2017-7-31 11:16
We have no way of knowing what the actual failure rate is. DJI isn't saying and I doubt they ever will. We also don't know what DJI considers to be 'in tolerance' for this product (as far as the number of failures).

What we do know is that the data log of the sparks that fell from the sky would show user error - if there were any. The only way to make a UAV fall like a rock is to use a CSC command on the sticks - this would show on the logs. If the logs just stop, that indicates a power failure. No way that is user error.

I agree if there is no evidence on the black box etc of user error DJI should offer replacement done instead of 30% of a new one.
2017-8-1
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansfcc89423 Posted at 2017-8-1 14:26
I agree if there is no evidence on the black box etc of user error DJI should offer replacement done instead of 30% of a new one.

and they need to admit there is an issue and actually fix it..

maybe offer an "open beta" for fixes, for all willing users..have two levels.. private/closed beta for people willing to risk complicated problems...  then a public or open beta that is more stable,  but features proposed fixes and changes.  still is risky though.  and all the betas are logging much deeper into the systems every aspect.   
2017-8-1
Use props
TMUSVI
lvl.3
Flight distance : 228891 ft
U.S. Virgin Islands

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-7-31 11:07
sport mode is fun but only do that if you have a large open area, and your phone/tablet is connected via OTG to the RC and phone/tablet has wifi disabled.  

yes sport mode thats the ticket , otherwise its too too slow,should have got the mavric
2017-8-1
Use props
fans1bc81f59
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19488 ft
United States

I just ordered my Spark yesterday at 11pm. By 4pm today I had my tracking number.  Thanks for all the comments, it is clear a Spark is a complex machine and should be given serious consideration.  My interest is photography, and what I'm looking forward is the smooth tripod mode.  I plan to be careful and take it baby steps.  I live near DFW airport and need to find a good safe place to practice. Thanks.
2017-8-1
Use props
fansf7fa979c
Second Officer
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

If your drone just fell out of the sky while you weren't even pressing on the control sticks, this thread isn't about you. There are incidents that are not due to user error however. I've seen some questionable posts that make me wonder how many incidents are just due to people not taking enough time to understand the technology.

1. ATTI mode means you don't have GPS. Hitting the return to home button isn't going to do any good. If for some reason the drone thinks it still has the home point, it's probably not going to actually be in the right place, which explains why drones go speeding off when you hit return to home with ATTI mode active. I think the last update may have changed this, but you can't override return to home by just hitting the control sticks. You need to hit the pause button to disable return to home.

2. Cheap $20 to $30 drones are great for training so your first instinct when entering ATTI mode isn't to hit the return to home button.  They drift all the time. That's the only way they fly.

For anyone that has lost their Spark after following all the best procedures, I hope DJI replaces it.
2017-8-1
Use props
RoyTeo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 45194 ft
Singapore

I admit..I'm one of those who has spark as my first drone (not counting parrot minidrones), and I didn't read the manual because flymore didnt come with one.
I did however watch more hours of youtube videos that actually flying it.
And still, I wouldn't dare fly it out of sight..
2017-8-1
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansf7fa979c Posted at 2017-8-1 19:20
If your drone just fell out of the sky while you weren't even pressing on the control sticks, this thread isn't about you. There are incidents that are not due to user error however. I've seen some questionable posts that make me wonder how many incidents are just due to people not taking enough time to understand the technology.

1. ATTI mode means you don't have GPS. Hitting the return to home button isn't going to do any good. If for some reason the drone thinks it still has the home point, it's probably not going to actually be in the right place, which explains why drones go speeding off when you hit return to home with ATTI mode active. I think the last update may have changed this, but you can't override return to home by just hitting the control sticks. You need to hit the pause button to disable return to home.

Thank you for clarifying this and understanding my post.

Likewise:
For anyone that has lost their Spark after following all the best procedures, I hope DJI replaces it.

2017-8-1
Use props
Indi91
lvl.2
Flight distance : 103973 ft

Completely agree. I read up alot and watched countless youtube videos on tutorials, reviews, controls, etc. When i first got my Spark, i finished half of first battery in setup and another half + 1 more full battery (I bought the FMC) in the inbuilt flight simulator. Its my first drone so it takes time for me to get used to it. Then i practiced everyday, no more than 15m away from me, height mostly 30m. Sometimes, feel adventures and at the home spot, i just go up 100m. Most i went was 160m and 200m distance. Dont dare go any further. I would really suggest to learn about the RTH very well, test it out by going 40m, then abit further 80m to understand how it returns. Turn rth on current altitude on and off and see the behaviors. I tried 1 full battery on sport mode after im more confident and it was fun, but would really recommend to know the braking distance first. Enjoy and safe flight.
2017-8-1
Use props
fansfcc89423
lvl.2
United States

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-8-1 14:41
and they need to admit there is an issue and actually fix it..

maybe offer an "open beta" for fixes, for all willing users..have two levels.. private/closed beta for people willing to risk complicated problems...  then a public or open beta that is more stable,  but features proposed fixes and changes.  still is risky though.  and all the betas are logging much deeper into the systems every aspect.

Yes they need to admit when there is a problem with there product and fix. they also need to rollout beta for testing to make sure all is well with the firmware before finally releasing it to the public. I mean these are premium products not cheap by any means and DJI needs to do there best to make sure all is well with there product before it goes to the public.
2017-8-2
Use props
fansf7fa979c
Second Officer
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've had only good experiences so far, but I am concerned about a few things I've read in the manual. When I first purchased the Spark, I read through the manuals even before it showed it. I'm positive there was no recommendation to only calibrate the compass if the drone warns it needs to be calibrated. I remember the section on return to home being worded poorly but it seems to be explained better in the manual now. When I first read that section it seemed unclear what would happen at a distance when return at same altitude was enabled. What made sense to me is that there were three zones with return to home enabled. Closest is land in place, middle is return at same altitude, and farthest is fly up and then return. With it off, land in place in mid zone as well. The wording originally seemed to indicate that the farthest zone would land in place if return at same altitude was enabled, which didn't make sense at all.

The recommendation to not calibrate unless prompted concerns me a bit. I have a Parrot Bebop as well and the recommendation for the Bebop is to calibrate whenever changing locations at least. There is no warning about "over calibrating."  What concerns me is that somehow calibrating when it's not needed could cause a problem. The instructions for getting DJI care after the normal sign up period  instructs you to do this as part of the confirmation that your drone is working properly. Why would re-calibrating cause fly-away issues and what is different about calibrating when prompted to do so? If I got a warning from the manufacturer of my car telling me not to service the brakes too often because it could cause brake failure without warning, I'd be really concerned.
2017-8-3
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Because this is not bebop u only need to calibrate if radar looks off or app asks u too. Otherwise if compass figures are green and excellent why would u??? So say u do it anyway and u are standing in a field thinking u are good but it used to be a trash dump and there is lots of metal buried now u just caused a bad calibration....get it?  U just dont know sometimes if u do know your spot is good sure calibrate it if it makes u feel better but just know that i have not calibrated my p4 in over a yr. My p4p never. And spark never. They all fly fine
2017-8-3
Use props
Phuong Do
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29800 ft
Vietnam

fansf7fa979c Posted at 2017-8-3 17:52
I've had only good experiences so far, but I am concerned about a few things I've read in the manual. When I first purchased the Spark, I read through the manuals even before it showed it. I'm positive there was no recommendation to only calibrate the compass if the drone warns it needs to be calibrated. I remember the section on return to home being worded poorly but it seems to be explained better in the manual now. When I first read that section it seemed unclear what would happen at a distance when return at same altitude was enabled. What made sense to me is that there were three zones with return to home enabled. Closest is land in place, middle is return at same altitude, and farthest is fly up and then return. With it off, land in place in mid zone as well. The wording originally seemed to indicate that the farthest zone would land in place if return at same altitude was enabled, which didn't make sense at all.

The recommendation to not calibrate unless prompted concerns me a bit. I have a Parrot Bebop as well and the recommendation for the Bebop is to calibrate whenever changing locations at least. There is no warning about "over calibrating."  What concerns me is that somehow calibrating when it's not needed could cause a problem. The instructions for getting DJI care after the normal sign up period  instructs you to do this as part of the confirmation that your drone is working properly. Why would re-calibrating cause fly-away issues and what is different about calibrating when prompted to do so? If I got a warning from the manufacturer of my car telling me not to service the brakes too often because it could cause brake failure without warning, I'd be really concerned.

I believe over-calibrate is fine, as long as you do the calibrate a a suitable surrounding.
If doing calibrate at perfect surrounding get you trouble than surely your product is bad.

I think the advice not to calibrate often to avoid that you unintentionally calibrate at a bad surrounding.
2017-8-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules