Bad video quality
4832 20 2017-9-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansf8bf3ce6
New
Flight distance : 12464 ft
Germany

Hi all,this is my first post on the forum.
I am having Mavic quite some time. Really nice flying device, but I am extremely unsatisfied with both video and photo quality. I have seen a lot of nice sharp and good quality videos from other people, but never got any close to that. I am aware that those videos are color graded. I have tried bunch of various settings and light conditions but video quality is just not good enough. Leaves are smeared and grass, especially at the right corner, is bloured. It almost looks it is painted. I am not sure do I have faulty camera or what is the problem? I doesn`t come close to cheap YI 4K footage I have mede.

I have recorded few 10sec 4K hovering (focused) videos with different settings on calm, bright day using D-log @ ISO100 and here are 2 frame exports from Premiere for comparison. I can upload videos this helps.
Thanks in advance for your help.

2017-9-27
Use props
artform
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6873 ft
United Kingdom

Do you mean this? I got similar problem with DJI Spark Looks like Picasso painted lol
2017-9-27
Use props
artform
lvl.2
United Kingdom

2017-9-27
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can't see any of the images posted on the OP.
2017-9-27
Use props
Ahmed Hussain
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1339761 ft
  • >>>
Kuwait

Asainz320 Posted at 2017-9-27 08:20
I can't see any of the images posted on the OP.

Me too, can't see any of them.

2017-9-27
Use props
artform
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Ahmed Hussain Posted at 2017-9-27 08:44

2017-9-27
Use props
artform
lvl.2
United Kingdom

2017-9-27
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Did you crop these or were you using the digital zoom function on the Mavic?
2017-9-27
Use props
artform
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Asainz320 Posted at 2017-9-27 09:07
Did you crop these or were you using the digital zoom function on the Mavic?

This is from my dji spark
2017-9-27
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

artform Posted at 2017-9-27 09:08
This is from my dji spark

ah! are these the original shots? No cropping or zooming?
2017-9-27
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Firstly, please try to reset the camera settings, choose a higher resolution and test again. Check if there is a dust on the lens. If the problem persists, could you please upload some samples from the SD card to Dropbox so I can grab it?
2017-9-27
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

It could be highly appreciated if you could upload some original pictures from the SD card to Dropbox so we can check it. Thanks.
2017-9-27
Use props
Ahmed Hussain
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1339761 ft
  • >>>
Kuwait

Artform, regrading your images, seems more than one reason caused this.

Could be the sky area is more than 1/3 of the image. In this case more brightness affect the color.

Could be becuase of low light exposure in the camera settings.

Make sure.
2017-9-27
Use props
fansf8bf3ce6
New
Germany

Hi again, sorry for a late reply and missing samples. I`ve had some personal issues.
Here is the link to full size video snapshots. I don`t know what happens with the pictures from my first post.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0By12C739eNeSYWxSc0Z3MUtqZG8?usp=sharing
2017-10-2
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Can't really see anything wrong with those shots.
2017-10-2
Use props
Hotelone4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 47320 ft
United States

Me neither...
2017-10-2
Use props
fansf8bf3ce6
New
Germany

I have also added few Raw DNG files and one 10 sec video. Hope this helps.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By12C739eNeSYWxSc0Z3MUtqZG8
2017-10-2
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

fansf8bf3ce6 Posted at 2017-10-2 07:35
I have also added few Raw DNG files and one 10 sec video. Hope this helps.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By12C739eNeSYWxSc0Z3MUtqZG8

Like the others, I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary, rather just a scene with unremarkable light, but nothing that can't be pumped up a bit in post.

Keep in mind that the quality of your natural light can easily make or break your imagery. Try shooting that scene in the golden hour and it'll look dramatically different.

As for any blurriness, a few points:

- You can test your camera by shooting a well-lit brick wall and checking for anomalies. You can expect the center to be the sharpest, but the corners shouldn't be dramatically different.

- Negative sharpness values, especially in lower light conditions, will cause excessive noise reduction  artifacting, presenting as "watercolor" or "oil painting." None of your examples seemed to be using negative sharpening, but FYI.

- DJI's in-camera jpg processing is a little overdone in the noise reduction area to my taste, though the latest firmware has improved that situation (and processing in general) quite a bit. I shoot RAW+JPG and sometimes I'll just go with the jpg because it's good-enough or works for that particular scene. Normally I stick with the RAW dng for the editing flexibility it allows.

- The camera lens has a fairly shallow depth of field, so sometimes a foreground object will be sharp and an object in the background will be out of focus, and this is normal. You can turn on Focus Peaking which will help show what objects in your view are in the field of focus and adjust accordingly.

Hope this helps.
2017-10-2
Use props
fansf8bf3ce6
New
Germany

Thank you for your answer. As far as I can tell right part of picture is very much out of focus compared to the left even they are pretty much the same distance, but I will test it further.
I conclude Mavic really doesn`t do the job good enough for my taste. I don`t compare it to the high end cameras at all, but I have really expected much more. I don`t have any footage that I am satisfied with. Pixel peeping at 100% is really under today`s standards. I would rather have less flight time, less distance, bit bigger and heavier drone with decent  picture quality. Phantom is at the other hand not very practical for hiking and motorcycle trips that I need a drone for.
2017-10-2
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

be aware when flying and go into hover mavic focus again!
when flying try to focus on a object far away. Never focus during flightrecording.
When make a picture  focus first.
2017-10-2
Use props
djiuser_6GWtScocK00U
lvl.1

United States

artform Posted at 2017-9-27 08:02
[view_image]

Do you mean this?  I got similar problem with DJI Spark  Looks like Picasso painted lol

Lol "do you mean this"*and then there is this blurry smiley face as exsample*my spark sucks too,film and photo taken just feet away is just unbarable .
2018-12-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules