New power adaptor
3976 49 2015-5-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KnightOwl
lvl.3

United States

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-5-11 10:54
Well boys and girls... This one is a bust!! Unlike Rich I do like the quality of the unit.... Howev ...

Genettico, first I'd like to thank you for your contributions to this site.  I have found them very informative and I appreciate your openness to answer any and all questions.  My i1 arrived three weeks ago and in preparation for my maiden flight I began flying with a smaller drone.  To charge that drone’s battery I bought a DC Lipo charger and converted this computer ATX (Antec PP-380V 380-Watt Computer Power Supply) for its DC power supply.  By using both 12V rails I believe I’m getting 12V & 30A from the PSU (how could I really test the 30A rating?)
Now in this thread it’s been identified that the optimal voltage to charge the i1 batteries is 26V, could I use this DC-DC converter (ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital- ... hash=item27d7b49b64) to step up the voltage to 26V and and set the amperage to 8.5A?
Lastly can you please confirm that if I tried to charge the i1 batteries in parallel with this DC to DC converter, do I adjust up the output amperage by 8.5A per battery, i.e. 2 TB47s  = 17A & 3 TB47s  = 25.5A?
2015-5-11
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

KnightOwl Posted at 2015-5-12 02:42
Genettico, first I'd like to thank you for your contributions to this site.  I have found them very ...

No problem.
Yes you do need 26v to get full charge on I1 Batts.
The DC to DC will work, but your PSU (ATX) unit is rated for 17a (for what I found searching on it's output), and that will go into the INPUT of the DC to DC which only takes 15amps... you might run hot! You can just look at the manufacturers label to determine amperage, and maybe verify with adequate resistors and a multimeter. The ATX has 2 outlets terminals I take it? If so....

You can adjust the Output amperage on the DC to DC up to 10amps only... (for what the description of the listing says)... so that would limit you to a single battery at say 8.5amps...

Sounds like you can do 2 batteries with your ATX and a couple of these DC to DC converters.... but that you would be running at capacity on everything.. making it run hot.. If you only use one you are ok.. and if the information you gave is accurate (the PSU being 30amps) then running 2 batteres should be ok as welll and though it make get warm.. I doubt it would run too hot.

I do like these converters you found... I can use them in line with the current setup I have and limit the amperage on each of the  rated 10amp connections for the Efuel... but then it does also raise the price even more so ($60.00 more).

Hope I answered your questions.... and that it helped.. if not let me know!!

2015-5-11
Use props
KnightOwl
lvl.3

United States

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-5-12 03:15
No problem.
Yes you do need 26v to get full charge on I1 Batts.
The DC to DC will work, but your P ...

Genettico...Thanks for the answers.

In regards to your power supply -
Could you not use one DC to DC converter (to control output amperage) and the DJI parallel connector mentioned above for a solution.  If so, the cost would be halved ($20 - converter + $10 parallel connector).

Hope I've returned the favor....
2015-5-11
Use props
Gatorone30
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1145489 ft
United States

Oh my god this is making my head hurt.
2015-5-11
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

KnightOwl Posted at 2015-5-12 03:42
Genettico...Thanks for the answers.

In regards to your power supply -

Not really in that configuration...  remember the current will be distributed not 8.5 amps x 3 but rather 8.5/3... So you would be charging the batteries at 2.8amps... (Less than 100watts per battery).

I would have to buy 1 of these dc to dc converters for each of the 3 terminals...
2015-5-11
Use props
Outta Control
lvl.2
Flight distance : 779419 ft
United States

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-5-12 02:40
My proposed solution is $50 for each 3 batteries... way cheaper than your current one.. Each one i ...

Hey Genettico,

Thanks for the heads up on that PSU I saw. Too bad it did not work out. Anyways back to your configuration. Do you recommend to stay at the 500w version you have or does having a 800w 24V 33A would more ideal or a waste.

FYI: Before I read you post on that ebay PSU I order one then quickly cancelled it upon reading and viewing your results.

2015-5-11
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

Outta Control Posted at 2015-5-12 04:45
Hey Genettico,

Thanks for the heads up on that PSU I saw. Too bad it did not work out. Anyways bac ...

Im glad I saved you some mula!! If the PSU you are considering goes up to 26v (meaning is adjustable to that voltage) and if you have a way to regulate (via amperage regulator/limiter)the current to the terminal(s) so you fall below 10amps to each battery... so then yes it will be a better option than my 500watts offering so you are not running it to capacity.... if however... you do not have such a way to regulate it, then you will have to put 4 batteries (since you have 33amps or over 10 amps if only 3 are connected)  or to create enough load to diminish the available current for 3 batteries... still... you would have to run it near capacity... and if you are trying to avoid that... then it would not be a good choice.... You would be in the same boat as having the EFUEL one...

I am still looking for a DC to DC converter that will have a 20 to 50 amp Input capacity and that can regulate the amperage down to 10amps or less... Almost like the one KnightOwl suggested... except this one only has 15 amp (input capacity)....
2015-5-11
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

Gatorone30 Posted at 2015-5-12 03:56
Oh my god this is making my head hurt.

Lol... I know how you feel... mine has been hurting as well!! Am I making sense at least you think? or am I just confusing more than helping?
2015-5-11
Use props
Gatorone30
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1145489 ft
United States

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-5-12 10:47
Lol... I know how you feel... mine has been hurting as well!! Am I making sense at least you think ...

It is helping. I am learning. I am just new to the realm of Lipo charging systems.
2015-5-12
Use props
Outta Control
lvl.2
Flight distance : 779419 ft
United States

Genettico what would be the specs you'd like to see on a PSU.
2015-5-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules