Cendence with patch antenna
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

For some reasons patch antenna - although kindly recognised and accepted by Cendence - does nothing good. Instead increasing the range of transmission significantly, it actually performs much worst. What am I missing? Oh, and yes - I know what is the difference between standard omnidirectional sticks and directional patch antenna. And yes, I know how to position patch antenna in relation to the aircraft. Apparently I don't know anything else ...
2018-4-24
Use props
rent
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1773458 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Matt, what's the furtherest you've reached with the patch antenna?

With the latest firmware on everything, I have tested as far out as 2.7 km (in a suburban area) without any transmission issues with the patch antenna.
2018-4-25
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>

rent Posted at 2018-4-25 09:38
Matt, what's the furtherest you've reached with the patch antenna?

With the latest firmware on everything, I have tested as far out as 2.7 km (in a suburban area) without any transmission issues with the patch antenna.

I've been able to reach a mere 1.5 km with patch antenna yesterday in a place where I can do 3 km with standard sticks. What is the setting for patch antenna transmission frequency? I believe recent app update sets 5.8 Ghz as a default, to be confirmed ...

EDIT: No, 2.4 GHz is still default transmission frequency. However, second run of test flights with patch antenna today revealed that 5.8 GHz is providing better performance. I was able to reach 2.5 km distance at 80 m attitude before weakened transmission warning. Still, this is absolutely no better when compared with standard Cendence stick antennas in the same place and time.

2018-4-25
Use props
rent
Second Officer
  • >>>
Russia

I will have to confirm when I get home. IIRC I was on 2.4 GHz.
2018-4-25
Use props
fans3a27f77e
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8621595 ft
  • >>>

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-4-25 09:53
I've been able to reach a mere 1.5 km with patch antenna yesterday in a place where I can do 3 km with standard sticks. What is the setting for patch antenna transmission frequency? I believe recent app update sets 5.8 Ghz as a default, to be confirmed ...

EDIT: No, 2.4 GHz is still default transmission frequency. However, second run of test flights with patch antenna today revealed that 5.8 GHz is providing better performance. I was able to reach 2.5 km distance at 80 m attitude before weakened transmission warning. Still, this is absolutely no better when compared with standard Cendence stick antennas in the same place and time.

patch antenna only works on the 2.4 ghz frequency.  All 5.8 frequencies are handled by internal antennas on the cendence.  
2018-4-26
Use props
rent
Second Officer
  • >>>
Russia

rent Posted at 2018-4-25 12:24
I will have to confirm when I get home. IIRC I was on 2.4 GHz.

Yup was on 2.4.
2018-4-26
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>

fans3a27f77e Posted at 2018-4-26 07:56
patch antenna only works on the 2.4 ghz frequency.  All 5.8 frequencies are handled by internal antennas on the cendence.

Aha, so when I switched to 5.8 I actually disabled patch antenna and did the flight on internal ones, correct? Which means that DJI Patch Antenna is good for nothing, because with it and recent FW I can do miserable 1-1.5 km distance. Is it a bad apple, or generally a flop?
2018-4-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules