27510 61 2015-5-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

DaveH Posted at 2015-8-17 02:18
So does the filter come off on the 4k version of the camera? If so, mines stuck solid!

Yes, the lens cover will come off the 4k camera -- this was a Phantom 3 Professional I was using for the demonstration.  (Mine was apparently torqued on by gorillas which is why I posted this method!)
2015-8-18
Use props
DaveH
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks for the info. Brutality hasn't worked, so let's give physics a go!!
2015-8-19
Use props
littlejohn
lvl.1

Italy

mine was also stuck, thanks for this trick, it worked perfectly!!
2015-8-19
Use props
jason.sforza
lvl.2

United States

DaveH Posted at 2015-8-17 02:18
So does the filter come off on the 4k version of the camera? If so, mines stuck solid!

Yes, it does come off in the 4K version. That's the one I have.
2015-8-24
Use props
phuzman1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39964 ft
United States

jason.sforza@gm Posted at 2015-8-24 18:39
Yes, it does come off in the 4K version. That's the one I have.

Yep I just started laughing.After messing with this stupid cover thinking no way this is ever coming off.BAM used the twist tie and it came right off.
2015-9-5
Use props
-=RaM=-
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Amazing tip, I tried everything else without sucsess but this worked first time...Thank you
2015-9-6
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice Tutorial, a rubber band works well also.
2015-9-6
Use props
DaveH
lvl.1

United Kingdom

That method works brilliantly. Brute force and ignorance had already failed to move the filter.
2015-9-6
Use props
jeff.breedmedia
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Awesome!, this worked perfectly! thanks for the tips, i was struggling to remove the broken lens!
2015-10-9
Use props
EYE SKY
lvl.1
Australia

gil Posted at 2015-5-13 05:41
Here is a link that will make it easy to understand: animatedknots.com - clove hitch

Thank you so much. I purchased the 3 filter pack and the original was jammed tight. I was contemplating getting violent with it ( small clamp) and I thought I had best check if others have had this problem. Viola there was your thread. original lense successfully removed with out damage or scratching.
Once again Thank you!
2015-11-12
Use props
Bittsandbobs
lvl.2

Italy

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-6-7 19:59
I used rubber electrical tape to get a better grip.  It came off easily.

X2 this also worked for me.  My fingers could not grip the original lens cover, but with a bit of tape it was very easy.
2015-11-12
Use props
gil
Second Officer
United States

EYE SKY Posted at 2015-11-13 00:05
Thank you so much. I purchased the 3 filter pack and the original was jammed tight. I was contempl ...

YAAAA!  Rack up another one for a stick and a string!  Sure beats vice grips and a hammer -- cheaper too!
2015-11-13
Use props
gustofusion
lvl.3
United States

Try and get beyond the stigma of "Warranty" You bought it and own it. When a problem arises take it upon yourself to solve it. With all the information available and the parts are plentiful make repairs and modifications yourself. You will discover how competent you will become in a short time, in most cases more competent than even the designers. Parts are cheap and available in most cases locally. The warranty only removes the product from your use for a great period of time, and as history has shown us in many cases repairs are not made in a satisfactory manner and in a lot of cases more damage has been caused by simple repairs. As a hobbyist, you'll gain more knowledge by investigating problems and making repairs yourself than by boxing your toy and sending it back to Santa's elves. You will become more familiar with the craft the more you understand it's internals, you'll be able to change out motors and flight controllers easily with some basic skills and minimal tools. Believe in yourself....
2015-11-16
Use props
P3PFORUMUSER
New
United States

After many false starts, I used a zip tie around the filter,  It came right off.
2015-11-29
Use props
TCormie
New

United States

I used the fitness band technique and It actually worked. I saw somewhere that DJI has simple insertable ND gradients that slide behind the UV glass any one know anything about these?
2016-1-11
Use props
prallamby
lvl.1
Australia

I tried the electric tape, firm fingers then string own a clove hitch, then pliers over rubber bands, no budge at all.
Next my 'assistant' held the camera body carefully with a large wrench in two hands, to keep it still and not strain the gamble, I used the pliers over paper towels on the UV filter rim, from the front than from the side, wouldn't budge a jot. A little more pressure and..... the UV glass broke. With the filter broken I gave it a good firm turn, the aluminium bent, the filter didn't budge at all. The camera and gimble work fine still.

There is a problem here, people are struggling to remove their filters which should come off easily. Come on DJI sort this out.
2016-3-3
Use props
flying-w-james
lvl.1
Flight distance : 246811 ft
United States

phantom4 here... when i turned mine, it sounded like there was dirt or some grit, maybe the edge of the glass filter was scraping inside, and now all that grit is inside the lens, spread over the inside like dust.  I can't get it to move now. i tried the rubber band and string, i was very careful with it.   i just opened a support ticket w dji, becuase i just got it and only flew once before trying to put the ND filters on.  

has anyone had any luck with dji helping out with this?  I dont want to keep trying and maybe break it.  
2016-4-3
Use props
dji
New

United Kingdom

If anyone is still struggling to remove the filter after all the great tips on here, I designed a 3d printed tool which does the job.

Available on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IRW0G7E
and on eBay http://r.ebay.com/eyVXpv

The same tool works for both the Phantom 3 and the Phantom 4.

2016-6-19
Use props
gil
Second Officer
United States

dji@pb4kn.plus. Posted at 2016-6-19 16:11
If anyone is still struggling to remove the filter after all the great tips on here, I designed a 3d ...

Nice!  Pretty slick, high-tech solution.  As long as DJI employs ham-handed gorillas to torque on the lens covers there will always be a market!

{:4_181:}
2016-6-19
Use props
decooper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14255190 ft
  • >>>

jason.sforza@gm Posted at 2015-7-4 05:12
Mine seemed like it was pretty stuck. I tried to remove it gently but it wouldn't budge. What I ende ...

great tip Jason !  First P3P I had it came right off, latest one didn't so I remembered this thread and the ZIPTIE did the trick.  (not funny --- AFTER I got it off, i broke the glass removing the ziptie !  ok, its kinda funny)
2016-7-13
Use props
Temblor
Banned
United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-12-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Temblor Posted at 2016-12-6 07:38
Or.. unless replacing with another filter.. why remove? This thing is sealed so tight on my drone, It seems there is no way dust will get inside to the actual lens! I felt I might damage gimbal if I slipped while trying to remove.
I after I was filming some surfers on Maui and also use my drone while boating.. or whatever you do? you will get a rain drop, insect or salt water vapor spots.. I just moisten a issue with hot water and dish soap. cleaned gently.. then followed up with lens/screen cleaner liquid to rinse.. and dabbed gently with microfiber cloth.. clean as new ! no need to remove.
Hope this suggestion helps somebody who might damage an expensive part.. just listen to 1st sentance of OPs post "Not everyone needs to do this"

Most people are removing the front cover to install ND filters, which are necessary for shooting in bright situations.
2016-12-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules