partially submerged phantom 3 - help!
608 11 2018-7-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
joethepro
lvl.1
United States

First, I own a refurbished phantom 3 which has worked great over the last 15 months with only two tree crashes. But today I did the stupid thing lauching from my boat and it crashed into side of boat on takeoff (duh, I know) and flew into water. I grabbed it quickly before it really got above the battery.

i dropped the cell phone into the water as well but the iphone 8 is water proof to 10 feet of water apparently....

Anyways, the drone works except for 1 of the motors. Camera works too. Lucky?

Motor spins fine.

Any comments besides the obvious to send it in for repair? I am pretty handy with gadgets, soldering, electrical stuff. I could use some advice on how to take apart the drone to access the motor or wiring or the PCB. Looks like special torx bolts?

Thanks for much for helping. I have been otherwise responsible with it!

joethepro (or not so)

2018-7-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Fresh water or salt water?
2018-7-1
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

It happens. Did it take a pretty good lick on the side of the boat?
2018-7-1
Use props
joethepro
lvl.1
United States

Fresh water.
2018-7-1
Use props
joethepro
lvl.1
United States

Boat fine. Just paint chipped.
2018-7-1
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

We are really sorry for the mishap. If the aircraft is water-damaged, its performance may be severely affected, and the aircraft will be beyond repair. We do not recommend to repair it for the safety concern, therefore if the drone is sent in, a replacement service will be provided instead of repair services.
2018-7-1
Use props
joethepro
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-7-1 18:30
We are really sorry for the mishap. If the aircraft is water-damaged, its performance may be severely affected, and the aircraft will be beyond repair. We do not recommend to repair it for the safety concern, therefore if the drone is sent in, a replacement service will be provided instead of repair services.

how much would that cost Mindy?
2018-7-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

joethepro Posted at 2018-7-1 18:42
how much would that cost Mindy?

Hi thanks for reaching DJI Forum, unfortunately we can't give yet a ball park figure for the repair services , we can give the final quotation until we diagnose the extent of the damage assessment done by our repair center. Thank you
2018-7-2
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

But its not a repair, hes been told it would be a replacement, so he asked how much for the replacement?
2018-7-2
Use props
joethepro
lvl.1
United States

Bashy Posted at 2018-7-2 20:40
But its not a repair, hes been told it would be a replacement, so he asked how much for the replacement?

I think she means that they will refurbish it but dont know the extent of the refurbishment until they see it.

I am trying to fix it myself first.
2018-7-4
Use props
Lonesome Crow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 408606 ft
  • >>>

I would recommend following DJI Gamora's recommendation and get the craft to them.  You never be sure what hidden damage you might have, and raise it's nasty head on your next flight.
2018-7-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Send it in, send it in... haha

Save yourself future problems, let DJI handle the claim...

RedHotPoker
2018-7-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules