Phantom 3 Lag / Pause Android in FPV
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bluemagic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1129629 ft
United States

Latest from DJI facebook page:

When is the update to fix the video lag on Android devices being released?
I cannot fly.
Like · Comment · Share

Most Recent

DJI Global Hi Rick, can you please let us know which product you are using from the DJI range?
Like · Reply · 4 hrs
Rick D'Aguanno The Phantom 3 pro. You told me last week an update was due shortly.
Like · Reply · 3 hrs
Rick D'Aguanno Your dji forum has hundreds of owners with the sane issue across multiple devices since the 1.1.9 firmware update.
Like · Reply · 3 hrs

DJI Global Rick D'Aguanno we are still awaiting on an update from the team. Once we have this, we will announce.
Like · 19 mins
Rick D'Aguanno Thanks.
Like · 5 mins
2015-6-8
Use props
pbedford
lvl.1

Thailand

Also having problems with Android devices, disconnects after a few minutes, come on DJI sort it out!!!
2015-6-8
Use props
chrisclaydon
lvl.3

Australia

ok did some testing tonight... with my TAB S

1. reset my TAB S 10.5 back to factory setting.
2. installed DJI app from DJI web site. 1.1.0
3. Turn off video cache in DJI app.
4. Cleared flight logs
5. Formatted SD card in DJI app
6. Put TAB S in flight mode. (WiFi / Cell all off)
7. Turned off my mobile phone and killed all not used apps on TAB S (Zapper app)
8. Started up PH3A and contoller in normal way.
9. Started the DJI pilot app
10. took off in to air about 40 meters away and hovered around.
11. FPV video feed not too bad,  a bit laggy. but ok.
12. task manager and Zapper apps both said DJI app using 43% CPU.
13. Overall CPU usage was running at 80%
14. flew around for next 5 to 7 mins...
15. FPV video lag was getting worse.... and worse as time went on.
16. Overall CPU usage was still running at 80% and DJI app at 43%
17. after 15 min of flight... FPV totally useless.. dropping too many frames and way behind the camera feed.

Please help DJI... very dissapointed...
2015-6-8
Use props
romansu2
lvl.2
Latvia

Earlier wrote that i have the same problem.
it seems to me that the problem not with the Phantom 3, but with remote control firmware.
on DJI website write that does not necessarily update firmware of a remote control if there is a firmware 1.1.8
maybe people who do not have problems did update only Phantom, but not update the remote control?

Please, write do update your remote control or not, in order to investigate this issue more !!!!
2015-6-8
Use props
ben_m16
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6037799 ft
  • >>>
Spain

The problem is not the remote control.

When release the update  1.1.8, we update all, the RC and the drone, and all works perfect.

When release the update 1.1.9, we update the drone, and the RC when you try update, the TXT generated by the update gives you a message, IS NOT UPDATED BECAUSE THE VERSION IS THE SAME OR OLDER.

For this, the RC is not the problem, the problem is the drone with the update 1.1.9.

DJI must test one battery complete, not only 2 minutes fliying. You must wait several minutes to see the real problem. If you fly only 1 or 2 or a little more minutes, all seems ok, a little laggy but ok.

But is extrange that without satellites all works well, but with satellites the problem comes........
2015-6-8
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

TMTPhoto Posted at 2015-6-9 11:16
I am having the same problem since upgrading to the latest firmware.

Using iPad Mini 2 in airplane ...

The " disconnected" might caused by a poor contacts of USB cable (or loose cable), lead to the disconnection between mobile device and remote controller.
What is the remaining capacity of your mobile device? If power is low it might lead to lags of video feedback.
2015-6-8
Use props
chrisclaydon
lvl.3

Australia

chrisclaydon@bi Posted at 2015-6-9 15:02
ok did some testing tonight... with my TAB S

1. reset my TAB S 10.5 back to factory setting.

oh yes running 1.1.9 FW with fully charged Tablet.
2015-6-8
Use props
petter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 663179 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-6-9 15:36
The " disconnected" might caused by a poor contacts of USB cable (or loose cable), lead to the dis ...

For info: in my case, all tests under my 3 Android devices have been made with:
- Fully charged devices
- Completely factory restored devices and unnecessary apps deleted
- Wifi, bluetoth, etc... turned off
2015-6-8
Use props
ben_m16
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

DJI_autumm, I test with 3 different high quality cables, and two dispostives (TAB S and NOTE 4).

The problem is the same.
2015-6-8
Use props
TMTPhoto
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2014659 ft
United States

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-6-9 15:36
The " disconnected" might caused by a poor contacts of USB cable (or loose cable), lead to the dis ...

It's happened with both an original Apple lightning cable as well as a Amazon Basics lightning cable. I flew the P3 about a dozen times with zero problems until the latest firmware update. Immediately after updating the Firmware these problems started happening.

The disconnect happened twice since the firmware update, but the lag & freezing is happening every time I fly.
2015-6-9
Use props
TMTPhoto
lvl.2
United States

TMTPhoto Posted at 2015-6-9 16:17
It's happened with both an original Apple lightning cable as well as a Amazon Basics lightning cab ...

Also, today when flying the iPad was above 70% battery remaining.
2015-6-9
Use props
Hana Minh Tran
New

Vietnam

the same issues with P3P & iphone6
2015-6-9
Use props
skeeter123
lvl.1

United States

Blame the cable.....swing and a miss. Just a bit outside...

I know they must make you say that....but.....
I know we all want a fix, but please don't rush it. Fixing code is like squeezing a ballloon.... I wonder if they (DJI) still has a lot of debug code in the mix...
2015-6-9
Use props
Spot Landing
lvl.1

Germany

I Have Contact directly  DJI .
And also, Contact my Dealer and complaint /claim  the P3.
Then my Dealer Made a RMA directly by DJI.   
I think its  the Best What we can Do Now
2015-6-9
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

TMTPhoto Posted at 2015-6-9 16:18
Also, today when flying the iPad was above 70% battery remaining.

Did you enable the virtual home button on your iPad screen? If so you should disable this function, we find that it would affect the video feed.
If you didn't enable it but the lag/freezing happened from the very beginning and all the time, I would suggest you take a video as evidence and contact support. It's not normal I think.
2015-6-9
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

Guys, if you use iOS device and have the lag/pause issue, pls check if you enable the virtual home button on screen. We find that it would affect the video feed.
And because of the hot weather, I'd also suggest you to remove the bumper to minimize the influence to video feed.
2015-6-9
Use props
ben_m16
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

What is the bumper??
2015-6-9
Use props
chrisclaydon
lvl.3

Australia

Bumper = cover or case on your tablet
2015-6-9
Use props
DVD Mansion
lvl.2
Canada

I also got a response from facebook this is what I wrote, & this is what they responded

"I can't believe you guys don't even answer not even one of us on your forum! PATHETIC! There are hundreds of us having Phantom 3 Lag / Pause Android and IOS in FPV since version 1.1.9 and you guys have stayed silent without even one word on your own forum!! WE WANT REFUNDS!! Like all over the internet everyone says how pathetic your customer service is and now we see why!! HELP your customers it's YOUR product & YOUR forums!!"

"DJI Global Hi Chris we have flagged this already to R&D as with Rick and Nicholas' messages (and also what we see on the forum thread). Note that we have stated that it may not be a battery issue. We are awaiting feedback before commenting further."

2015-6-9
Use props
isaache
lvl.3
Spain

DVD Mansion Posted at 2015-6-9 20:27
I also got a response from facebook this is what I wrote, & this is what they responded

"I can't be ...

Well, I'm happy to hear that the issue is being investigated, so DJI is listening, that is good, however a forum is intended as a bidirectional communication support, don't get me wrong, I understand that DJI can't respond to every single customer but I think that a short, clear and concise statement like the one made over Facebook would have helped to alleviate a bit the grief some people is feeling (and expressing) in this forum.  

Just my two cents

Isaac
2015-6-9
Use props
jayson
lvl.1

United States

isaache Posted at 2015-6-9 20:39
Well, I'm happy to hear that the issue is being investigated, so DJI is listening, that is good, h ...

From another forum:

Blade I got this response back last night from DJI HQ.

"I just got the feedback regarding the P3 pause/lag after 1.1.9 firmware updated. R&D tested with a Z3, which is reported by a user that had lag issue, they could not replicate the problem. They suspect that the pause/lag was leaded by the low battery of the device. And other devices the users used are not included in the support list so they did not test with them."
2015-6-9
Use props
cegio
lvl.3
Flight distance : 671257 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Oliver Posted at 2015-6-9 08:35
I don't think this video is an entirely fair test, since the difference from frame to frame when i ...

I don´t care the lag, i´m talking about the image freeze during a few seconds,  did you not see the first video?, the same conditions, the only difference is gps signal

2015-6-9
Use props
ben_m16
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

Easy,

Someone with Z3 who can make a video and upload a youtube........ and close some DJI mouth...............

It is incredible that DJI say that the problem is the phone´s battery............

A lot of users can´t be in a mistake...............
2015-6-9
Use props
marc.langlais
New

Canada

Hi
I have a recommended tablet for the dji app and the phantom 3, Nexus 9 32gb, and I have the same issue as other people here. Jerky video, pause and more than 225ms of lag. All of this only when i'm outside. If DJi don't want to move, I suggest to all user to post a video on YouTube to show how it is unpleasant to fly with this issue.

Sorry for my english  

2015-6-9
Use props
seadog1967
lvl.1
Flight distance : 59265 ft
United States

My Tab S 10.5 was showing flight with slight lag and no issues.  Flew good responded good, no disconnects, no freezing of video. Our town/city was very interested in acquiring one and when I demo'd mine it froze screen. Nothing you touched on it worked. was terrible lag too.  Tablet was fully charged, Batteries fully charged and had total of 4 fully charged batteries on hand for demo. Felt like a jerk.  Also had all programs shut down except ones needed and not saving video to cache. Will be hard to convince them to go with this if they see response  is slow.  Flew another battery  thru it and recorded flight.
2015-6-9
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's going to be difficult to sort things out when each user is reporting very incomplete data.

IOS is a completely different animal so it shouldn't even be in the same thread. You have to turn hardware decode on in IOS....not in Android.

I can speak for Android. I have a weak (non approved) Android device. When people here reported the lag problem was 1.1.9, I had it on 1.1.8 - so it couldn't be 1.1.9 (only), but rather pointed toward CPU or similar issues in the smart device.

So I took two steps. I downloaded a "task killer" called Zapper (free) and used it to see and kill all the (many) tasks that Android has going in the background. It also shows you the current CPU use. Mine was up to 70% CPU use without even running the DJI Pilot app!

Ok, so between that and erasing some apps that I don't need, I got the P3 to run fine in 1.1.8.
Then I updated to 1.1.9

Same deal - I kill all the background processes before I start - and it runs perfectly. No lag worth speaking of - especially since I am running a weak device. I opened the Zapper program while the DJI Pilot App and Phantom were running (hovering) and the highest CPU use was 82%.

What I am getting at is that yelling and screaming and saying "when are you going to fix this?" is not data. It doesn't help anything.
What would help - for Android users - is to download a utility that shows CPU use and monitor it both before you fire up the Pilot App and after. If you find your CPU going up over 85% my guess is that you will see lag.

All these data streams really tax a CPU.

I cannot speak to IOS other than you have to turn on hardware decode  - here is the factory advise depending on the CPU of your Apple device:

A7 iOS guys please make sure Hardware decoding is turned "ON".

A8 this option is up to the user. "ON" will have better performance but you might experience complete device reboots to do GPU on the a8.
Some people see them more than others.
Make sure you have background app refresh set to "OFF", this helps.
Also double click the home button and make sure you have no other apps running
2015-6-9
Use props
TMTPhoto
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-6-9 18:48
Did you enable the virtual home button on your iPad screen? If so you should disable this function, ...

I have never used the virtual home button.  

How can you say that the lag & freezing isn't normal when there are 5 pages of comments from users having the same problem??
2015-6-9
Use props
Darkfito
lvl.2

Spain

it's a shame. This seems a joke.

It took many days to the problem and does nothing DJI.

Please fix it, we are many with the same problem.
2015-6-9
Use props
seadog1967
lvl.1
Flight distance : 59265 ft
United States

or at least allow us to go back to 1.1.8
2015-6-9
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

TMTPhoto Posted at 2015-6-10 02:09
I have never used the virtual home button.  

How can you say that the lag & freezing isn't normal  ...

"Isn't normal" means it shouldn't be.
Maybe you misunderstood what Autumn was saying?

It isn't normal and should not happen and if it does you should contact support (as long as you went through all the other basics to make sure it wasn't because of other settings, etc.)
2015-6-9
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

First make sure that you are using a supported device.  Second make sure that you have everything turned off with the exception of the Pilot App.  Third there are third party apps that measure CPU activity.  One of the theories that has been put forward is that the new firmware is probably forcing the CPU to the limits of its capacity.  Once it get warm, the device will start to throttle back the CPU resulting with the lag and disconnects.  We have tested several of the supported devices, 3 android and 2 iOS, we could not replicate this behavior on any of them.  Again this is a theory and without further information on what is happening on the specific CPU's it will remain just that a theory.
2015-6-9
Use props
chrisclaydon
lvl.3

Australia

seadog1967@gmai Posted at 2015-6-10 00:57
My Tab S 10.5 was showing flight with slight lag and no issues.  Flew good responded good, no discon ...

Seadog.....Mate, next time fire up Task Manager and see what the CPU usage is...  My TAB S was 43% on the DJI app.

But the lag / delay / missing frames is what I see after a few minutes of flying around... starts off ok... but gets worse as the flight continues.

Thxs Chris
2015-6-9
Use props
chrisclaydon
lvl.3

Australia

marc.langlais Posted at 2015-6-10 00:55
Hi
I have a recommended tablet for the dji app and the phantom 3, Nexus 9 32gb, and I have the same  ...

Can you please  tell us the DJI CPU usage? (Task Manager or the free zapper app)

Thxs
2015-6-9
Use props
ruprick
lvl.2

United States

I had bad lag & disconnects with my Galaxy S5, to the point where I no longer felt safe using FPV on 1.19. I just purchased a Nexus 7 16GB, will see if I can replicate the problems.
2015-6-9
Use props
venturedrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 326693 ft
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-6-10 04:30
First make sure that you are using a supported device.  Second make sure that you have everything tu ...

I have a supported device (Samsung Galaxy S5) and I am running into this issue following all of the steps you outlined above. Is there a way you recommend documenting the issue so that I can help verify its occurrence in a repeatable fashion?
2015-6-9
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

venturedrone Posted at 2015-6-10 04:51
I have a supported device (Samsung Galaxy S5) and I am running into this issue following all of th ...

I would verify the version of Android you are using.  Also include the carrier.  Does the behavior start immediately or is is delayed.  What is the ambient temperature.  For example, both my iPad and S4 will shut down after about 5 minutes in 110F temps.  I just swap devices and then put them in a cooler between flights.  CPU usage at the start and CPU usage when the lag or disconnect happens.
2015-6-9
Use props
jgraham103
lvl.1

United States

So at 3762 views and 190 posts in 8 days we are back to square one. DJI can't duplicate the problem. Advice: use only a supported device people! I, myself, am out $300 with a brand new Samsung galaxy tab s 8.4 that I purchased just to fly this thing. I will NEVER, EVER, buy another android device! No company can support the variety of hardware devices that android runs on. Here's what really sucks... I have an Apple iPad 3,iPad mini, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, samsung galaxy s4, Kindle fire hd, windows 8 tablet, and now a Samsung Galaxy tab s 8.4. That's 9 devices of which NONE of them are supported. So now I guess if I want to fly this thing, I'm gonna have to shell out another  $300-$500 for an iPad air or mini 2 or 3. Good thing I didn't buy the extra battery. That $150 can go to someone else. AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!
2015-6-9
Use props
chrisclaydon
lvl.3

Australia

jgraham103 Posted at 2015-6-10 05:04
So at 3762 views and 190 posts in 8 days we are back to square one. DJI can't duplicate the problem. ...

Yes very sad.... So many devices and none no good! (OMG)

As for buying a extra battery.... ? Good luck... I'm still waiting for my second one here!.... after how much time??? I've lost count!
2015-6-9
Use props
great.day
lvl.2

United States

FYI - I received a response from DJI today (below) - answerd yes on both their questions. At almost the same time as the first message, I recieved notification that the ticket (request) was closed as being solved?  2 hours later received email asking how I would rate their customer service... "Bad" of course.

M. E. (DJI Technology )                          

Jun 9, 10:34            

Dear Bob,

Thank you for contacting DJI. Have you completed a firmware update and provided an Advanced IMU calibration? If not, please consider this step. Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you for choosing DJI,
"The Future of Possible!”

DJI Customer Service North America

Bob                          

Jun 4, 15:32            

This has happened several times.  Prior to the error and crash of the app, their was extreme video lag. (see attached screenshot).  

I've noted several similar comments on the P3 form pertaining to this issue.  

This is quite scary and I feel unable to fly safely.  

Any ideas?  

thanks
Bob  

2015-6-9
Use props
ben_m16
Second Officer
  • >>>
Spain

The problem is very easy to fix:

Device: Tab S 8.4
Firmware: 1.1.8
All works perfect, with one, two, or three apps open at the same time. Battery at maximum or minimun level, 10 min flight or 20 min flight.............etc.

Device: Tab S 8.4
Firmware: 1.1.9
A lot of problems, the device is the same than previous, but hard resetted, an only one APP (DJI PILOT).

Is clear, the problem is 1.1.9.

Solution:

Comes back to 1.1.8, if not, a new 1.1.9b which internally is all the same that 1.1.8.

At least for me, I had not any previous problem that DJI fix in the new 1.1.9, only battery history......... I preffer not have battery history but and I can fly.
2015-6-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules