123Next >
6510 100 2019-3-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

akman2014 Posted at 3-17 15:34
We'll see if DJI comes through and coughs up a new drone.  If I wanted to fly something that I have to keep in my yard and didn't cost so much, I'd just buy a $5 kite.  

More and more, I think I had a serious compass malfunction that should be compensated by DJI. Not holding my breath.

More and more, I think I had a serious compass malfunction

Agreed.  Compass malfunction or possibly a problem with drone's firmware or main controller board that falsely indicated there was a compass malfunction.
Unless there is some other information that comes forth, idea that there was Magnetic Interference at take off point is Red-Herring.  Same goes for possibility of Magnetic Inteference during flight, not likely as I alluded too.

As PhantomHelp flight log viewer says "Compass Error", not Magnetic Interference or Compass needs calibrating.

Still feel that DJI dropped ball with Mavic 2 Pro, after they saw problems with Mavic Air's having only one compass.  Having one compass located near front of Mavic Pro and other compass near back, provides enough difference that when one compass is effected my Magnetic Interfrence, the other compass may not be.  Even a quarter turn of drone can make all difference when it has two compasses.  Then there is second compass providing redunancy, should primary compass quit mid-flight.

Along with DJI taking easy way out by disbling GPS, and throwing drone into ATTI mode when there is a compass failure (Compass Error).  Between Barometric sensor, GPS and IMU's XYZ intertial motion and axis rotation sensors, drone should be able to at least aid pilot in drone's control.  Upon loss of RC transmissions, drone should be able to do a semi-controlled descent to where downward facing sensors could then aid in making a controlled landing.

2019-3-17
Use props
akman2014
lvl.2

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-17 17:07
I would start your search at last known coordinates.

You will probaly notice that you will get some here who will be able to tell you what didn’t happen I’m not sure why particularly when your question was what did happen.

Thanks, you've been quite helpful.  Hopefully this thread helps others, as well.

I did search extensively, but the area is full of barking dogs, 100' spruce forest, private property, and 3' of snow.  I'll update this thread with DJI's reply to my case when available.

Cheers
2019-3-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

akman2014 Posted at 3-17 17:40
Well, thanks to a faulty compass, I just sent another UFO barrelling towards two active runways. Hopefully the GeoFence caught it.

2019-3-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

akman2014 Posted at 3-17 17:43
Thanks, you've been quite helpful.  Hopefully this thread helps others, as well.

I did search extensively, but the area is full of barking dogs, 100' spruce forest, private property, and 3' of snow.  I'll update this thread with DJI's reply to my case when available.

Your welcome.
You’ll find all the information I’ve given you has been documented many many times both here and on Mavic pilots and some of the best guys who read logs have seen this exact type of case with the exact outcome, I think on the thread here you will also see the guys who have seen this type of log , they know the cause and can tell you the outcome.
You’ll always get the conspiracy theorist who can’t give you an answer but many answers but none that we have seen proved as of yet .

Hopefully you get something from dji it’s always worth putting a case forward.
Good luck .
2019-3-17
Use props
Boffin
Second Officer
Australia

akman2014 Posted at 3-17 17:40
Well, thanks to a faulty compass, I just sent another UFO barrelling towards two active runways. Hopefully the GeoFence caught it.

If your MPP reached the geofence boundary, would it have just hovered at the boundary until the low battery auto-landed it at that location?

I would be searching along the edge of the boundary on the last known heading/wind direction
2019-3-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Boffin Posted at 3-17 18:38
If your MPP reached the geofence boundary, would it have just hovered at the boundary until the low battery auto-landed it at that location?

I would be searching along the edge of the boundary on the last known heading/wind direction

Good idea.  Looks like Fort Wainright runway is about 2.9 miles away from take off area.  Drone was sort of head that way.

BigSearch.jpg

Still it is a whole lot of area to search.

2019-3-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

akman2014 Posted at 3-17 15:47
Yep, that was my very first step.  Went there immediately upon loss.  It showed the drone was at the last confirmed point, in my driveway, 135' away.  I thought, "Sweet!  That works!'  Nope.  Drone is a mile or more away from where Find My Drone says.  FMD quits working when in ATTI mode, apparently.

Maybe, just maybe, after drone lost contact, GPS eventually started working on drone, and it continued on with its mission.  Might consider looking along a path from drone's last shown point to drone's next way point.  

However, with all Yaw errors and off again / on again compass problems, it is a long shot.

You might consider putting up flyers offering a reward for a drone with a compass malfunction that went UFO AWOL.

Good luck!
2019-3-17
Use props
akman2014
lvl.2

United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 3-17 19:27
Good idea.  Looks like Fort Wainright runway is about 2.9 miles away from take off area.  Drone was sort of head that way.

[view_image]

Needle, meet haystack.  
2019-3-17
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12516775 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

akman2014 Posted at 3-17 13:28
Funny thing though, I was getting messages from the Mavic for several minutes after the log ends.  The last thing I got was 'Approaching No-Fly Zone, Forcing Landing."  Then I think I saw "Looking for safe place to land."  

Hi akman2014,

Its not amazing that GeoFencing still works....

With errors in the system (compass,yaw,speed,imu) the software kills the use of GPS data, so DJI drones enter ATTI mode. BUT GPS data is still available and used for other things than as input for sec location data for stabilizing the drone.

In your log most of the time MPP was in ATTI mode, but LatLon position is written in the log but not used for a P-GPS mode.

cheers
JBB
2019-3-17
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

akman2014 Posted at 3-17 14:39
In retrospect, I should have forced a landing in the nearest open spot as soon as I went ATTI.  I kept hoping the GPS mode would re-appear and regain control.  The forums are full of that scenario.

We'll see what DJI says, I'm hoping they send me a replacement after viewing the files (wishful thinker here). Otherwise, my drone days are over.

Nah, in ATTI mode you should try to bring the craft back home, flying manually.
The compass indicator still works (or the map view), so use that info to steer back home.
When heading is towards home full fwd, if distance does not decrease into Sport mode.
If still not approaching home ; time to land!

cheers
JJB
2019-3-17
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Boffin Posted at 3-17 18:38

I would be searching along the edge of the boundary on the last known heading/wind direction

I do not think so, as the MPP was in ATTI mode it cannot hold any position.
2019-3-18
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

akman2014 Posted at 3-17 14:32
Trouble is, the log stops well before the flight ended.  Maybe the conspiracy theorists should be alarmed?  It sensed an imminent incursion into No-Fly zone so it stopped all black box recordings?  lol

The log never shows a landing.  Wish it did.

Hi,

If you like post a link on here to the DAT file for this flight.

There are 2 DAT files, one is stored in the MPP, other one is on the mobile device.
It contains the same and more information about this flight.

All errors are more specified in this DAT file than in the flightrecord.txt.

First error at 1m29 seconds, flying 134 feet high and 286 away from HP. If 'something' picked up at take-off point this error (CompassErrorLarge) had happend just after take-off.If DAT file shows (other) critical errors, my guess is that DJI will help you out.

see this > https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=183354

cheers
JJB

2019-3-18
Use props
Boffin
Second Officer
Australia

JJB* Posted at 3-18 00:00
I do not think so, as the MPP was in ATTI mode it cannot hold any position.

In the OP's first post he said "Then, "Entering No-Fly Zone, Forced Landing" and that's all she wrote folks."

So GPS was working for the NFZ detection system even if it's data was was rejected by the flight controller. So even in ATTI mode the NFZ detection apparently works
2019-3-18
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Boffin Posted at 3-18 01:02
In the OP's first post he said "Then, "Entering No-Fly Zone, Forced Landing" and that's all she wrote folks."

So GPS was working for the NFZ detection system even if it's data was was rejected by the flight controller. So even in ATTI mode the NFZ detection apparently works

agree, see my post #49.

Your question : "would it have just hovered at the boundary until the low battery auto-landed it at that location?"My answer : So GPS works, but as the drone was in ATTI mode ; not possible to stop and hold postion at the fence.

cheers
JJB

2019-3-18
Use props
Boffin
Second Officer
Australia

JJB* Posted at 3-18 01:22
agree, see my post #49.

Your question : "would it have just hovered at the boundary until the low battery auto-landed it at that location?"My answer : So GPS works, but as the drone was in ATTI mode ; not possible to stop and hold postion at the fence.

Two observations.

As the MPP actually reached the NFZ boundary then it's pointless to search for it at shorter distances than the boundary.

If autolanding commenced immediately on reaching the NFZ boundary, depending on altitude, autolanding velocity and wind speed it might not have got too far inside the NFZ.

Is it possible to calculate the wind speed, MPP altitude and last heading from the submitted logs?

2019-3-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JJB* Posted at 3-17 23:56
Nah, in ATTI mode you should try to bring the craft back home, flying manually.
The compass indicator still works (or the map view), so use that info to steer back home.
When heading is towards home full fwd, if distance does not decrease into Sport mode.

I think it is advisable always to land rather than fly home if this can be done  safely when craft goes into Atti mode , not try to fly back home. It does say in the manual to have contingency plans for such situations when available .
2019-3-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

akman2014 Posted at 3-17 14:39
In retrospect, I should have forced a landing in the nearest open spot as soon as I went ATTI.  I kept hoping the GPS mode would re-appear and regain control.  The forums are full of that scenario.

We'll see what DJI says, I'm hoping they send me a replacement after viewing the files (wishful thinker here). Otherwise, my drone days are over.

You are correct so long as it was safe your first action in Atti mode should always be to land , there is only one thing to remember for that action, left stick 100% down .
2019-3-18
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 3-18 03:08
I think it is advisable always to land rather than fly home if this can be done  safely when craft goes into Atti mode , not try to fly back home. It does say in the manual to have contingency plans for such situations when available .

Well, it all depends on the situation where and when the drone enters ATTI mode.

If you are capable of flying it back (not too much wind ect) absolutely not a problem to fly it back home in ATTI.

Its to simple just to say always land immediately when ATTI is there.

cheers
JJB
2019-3-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JJB* Posted at 3-18 03:27
Well, it all depends on the situation where and when the drone enters ATTI mode.

If you are capable of flying it back (not too much wind ect) absolutely not a problem to fly it back home in ATTI.

I don’t believe it’s to simple to land in fact landing is the simplest thing to do in Atti mode.

I did say that once it is safe to do so always land first, surely if your craft was 30 ft away from you it would be much safer for you the craft if it is possible to land safely.

It’s good practice to look around before you fly and pick out 2 safe places to land safely in the event of a problem , this will give you now 3 places to land.

If you are adverse to flying Atti mode and you think you can fly craft home, this is fine, but it’s not safer than landing in a safe place and sometimes can carry an unsafe risk.

Flying no matter what drones or manned aircraft, should be about risk assessment and what is safest for all in any conditions, so if it’s safer to fly home in Atti mode then that should be the choice.

The OP wanted to know would he have been better in his situation to force land, and you said nah that he could fly home in Atti mode, so taking things into consideration and his predicament I would not say flying home in Atti mode was his best option, he was 135 ft alt approx 200 ft distance and inexperienced as almost all are, so I think best advice for him was to try to land safely.
2019-3-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JJB* Posted at 3-18 03:27
Well, it all depends on the situation where and when the drone enters ATTI mode.

I don’t believe it’s to simple to land in fact landing is the simplest thing to do in Atti mode.

I did say that once it is safe to do so always land first, surely if your craft was 30 ft away from you it would be much safer for you the craft if it is possible to land safely.

It’s good practice to look around before you fly and pick out 2 safe places to land safely in the event of a problem , this will give you now 3 places to land.

If you are adverse to flying Atti mode and you think you can fly craft home, this is fine, but it’s not safer than landing in a safe place and sometimes can carry an unsafe risk.

Flying no matter what drones or manned aircraft, should be about risk assessment and what is safest for all in any conditions, so if it’s safer to fly home in Atti mode then that should be the choice.

The OP wanted to know would he have been better in his situation to force land, and you said nah that he could fly home in Atti mode, so taking things into consideration and his predicament I would not say flying home in Atti mode was his best option, he was 135 ft alt approx 200 ft distance and inexperienced as almost all are, so I think best advice for him was to try to land safely.
2019-3-18
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Sorry to know that mate
2019-3-18
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

Sorry for your loss but you are in the wrong thread. This is the Mavic 2 pro section.
2019-3-18
Use props
BKahuna
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7425909 ft
United States

Why did his drone fall back to ATTI?  Assuming the flight occurred during daylight, shouldn't it have fallen back to OPTI?  That way the VPS is still engaged and the drone will be able to hold its position.  In ATTI, it can freely drift almost anywhere.
2019-3-18
Use props
BKahuna
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7425909 ft
United States

El Diabolico Posted at 3-18 05:40
Sorry for your loss but you are in the wrong thread. This is the Mavic 2 pro section.

I believe this is a Mavic forum and all things Mavic are discussed here.
2019-3-18
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

BKahuna Posted at 3-18 08:19
Why did his drone fall back to ATTI?  Assuming the flight occurred during daylight, shouldn't it have fallen back to OPTI?  That way the VPS is still engaged and the drone will be able to hold its position.  In ATTI, it can freely drift almost anywhere.

It was 135ft in the air when this occurred.  For the visual positioning system (VPS) to work, it would have had to be much closer to the ground for it to be able to see appropriately.  If I remember correctly, I think the VPS system works up to somewhere around 30-40ft high.
2019-3-18
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-18 03:52

I agree with your comments about risk assessments and identifying alternate landing zones just in case things go awry!  Unfortunately, I think this is something that few actually do.

Regardless of whether you choose to land immediately as you suggest or you choose to try to fly back home as JJB* suggests, the most important piece is that the pilot actually tries to do something to get the aircraft down to the ground safely.  

Choosing to do nothing and allowing it to become a "UFO barrelling towards two active runways" is less than ideal from a safety aspect as well as a financial aspect!
2019-3-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

KlooGee Posted at 3-18 09:34
I agree with your comments about risk assessments and identifying alternate landing zones just in case things go awry!  Unfortunately, I think this is something that few actually do.

Regardless of whether you choose to land immediately as you suggest or you choose to try to fly back home as JJB* suggests, the most important piece is that the pilot actually tries to do something to get the aircraft down to the ground safely.  

Well you see this is ok if your experienced and you have an idea of what is going on if not then it’s not so easy, regarding flying home in Atti yes if this is the safest option, if the safest option is to land then you should land. And this is what your manual teaches you, Landing is also by far the easiest way to have any control of your craft, it’s one thing , to remember left stick down 100% until you land. And while there are some quite competent flying Atti mode mainly older pilots, flying your craft will always counter more risk than landing safely.
Again this question came from OP who asked if he would have been better force landing or trying to fly Atti mode, jjb said fly home, I said land and considering his experience he was correct in his assumption.

2019-3-18
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-18 10:09
Well you see this is ok if your experienced and you have an idea of what is going on if not then it’s not so easy, regarding flying home in Atti yes if this is the safest option, if the safest option is to land then you should land. And this is what your manual teaches you, Landing is also by far the easiest way to have any control of your craft, it’s one thing , to remember left stick down 100% until you land. And while there are some quite competent flying Atti mode mainly older pilots, flying your craft will always counter more risk than landing safely.
Again this question came from OP who asked if he would have been better force landing or trying to fly Atti mode, jjb said fly home, I said land and considering his experience he was correct in his assumption.

I think you have completely missed my point.  I really could care less about a person's experience or ability or what the manual says in this particular case.  

I'm just saying DO SOMETHING!  In this case, the pilot just watched it fly away directly towards an airport without even attempting to do anything and in his words left a "UFO barrelling towards two active runways"!  Do something!
2019-3-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

KlooGee Posted at 3-18 10:31
I think you have completely missed my point.  I really could care less about a person's experience or ability or what the manual says in this particular case.  

I'm just saying DO SOMETHING!  In this case, the pilot just watched it fly away directly towards an airport without even attempting to do anything and in his words left a "UFO barrelling towards two active runways"!  Do something!

No I think you missed my point, I said he didn’t know what to do, in fact he was here as you can read asking what he should have done, it’s all very well for us to get on out high horses and say he should have done something, 1/ he couldn’t see it 2/ he was trying to hit RTH.

These drones are sold over the counter and you can fly them as long as you can charge a battery, I have seen so many people let their drones fly away without doing anything, I have seen others jump in their car an try to somehow follow the drone, the trouble is they are fully depending on auto systems to save them.

So can you imagine when the come here they all of a sudden find out stuff they hadn’t a clue about, but the also get very conflicting opinions like nah just fly it home, land it or in your case do something, but if he does the wrong thing and ends up in worse trouble, how will you feel about telling him to just do something.

I’m all for educating people and helping others who ask for help, but I’m afraid I would think twice about telling someone to just do something if they don’t have a clue what to do.
This guy went into Atti mode at 200 ft from home and he hadn’t a clue what he should do so he kept flying, albeit for a short time,  THIS IS DOING SOMETHING and when his craft got further away he stopped doing something, because it wasn’t working . ;+):::

I said land then someone says landing is not always correct just fly home,  someone says do something ,who’s right ?

2019-3-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

BKahuna Posted at 3-18 08:19

VPS needs to be enabled andeven if it was craft was outside the range of VPS .
2019-3-18
Use props
akman2014
lvl.2

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-18 10:59
No I think you missed my point, I said he didn’t know what to do, in fact he was here as you can read asking what he should have done, it’s all very well for us to get on out high horses and say he should have done something, 1/ he couldn’t see it 2/ he was trying to hit RTH.

These drones are sold over the counter and you can fly them as long as you can charge a battery, I have seen so many people let their drones fly away without doing anything, I have seen others jump in their car an try to somehow follow the drone, the trouble is they are fully depending on auto systems to save them.

You guys all have good points.  In retrospect, I wish I had just dropped the drone as soon as it went into ATTI, but to be honest, I did not even realize it went into ATTI until after a minute or so.  All I was seeing were the multitude of error messages and broken video feed, and thinking the RTH was still an option.  I lost sight of the drone within seconds of the compass failure and kept thinking it would come home on its own.  By the time I realized it was in ATTI, I had no idea where it was as the map stopped updating as soon as the compass went out.  Even 'Find My Drone' couldn't begin to find it...it had it located at the spot where compass first failed.  

Not sure if you can tell from the flight logs, but I was frantically making controller inputs, attempting to climb hoping GPS would revive, spinning around to get an idea where I was, but with no video feed it was all for naught.  

Anyway, it's up to DJI now.  If they fess up a free drone under the warranty, I'll be a better pilot for the experience, but if a major component goes out unexpectedly, I doubt there's much anyone can do...as the 737MAX pilots will attest.
2019-3-18
Use props
Nicoricosancho
First Officer
Flight distance : 13196 ft
Canada

Not sure if this can help you but I did loose a DJI mavic before, used the ''find my drone'' option with the djigo app from the phone, and guided me 5 feet away from the drone not even (and I lost batteries mid air so last signal wasnt even on the ground).  If you didnt try that (which i doubt) go for it. And if you did try this in ATTI mode you drone goes with the wind if you do not fight it with controllers. So maybe try to find the direction of the winds that day through some weather website history and go to last GPS coordinate points, and walk in the wind direction. If i was you I would look in the trees as well since the mavic can get stuck up there with it's front landing legs. sorry to hear its so stressful when this happens. Hopefully you go again to find it! If I was from your area I would even help ! see ya
2019-3-18
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

akman2014 Posted at 3-18 18:03
You guys all have good points.  In retrospect, I wish I had just dropped the drone as soon as it went into ATTI, but to be honest, I did not even realize it went into ATTI until after a minute or so.  All I was seeing were the multitude of error messages and broken video feed, and thinking the RTH was still an option.  I lost sight of the drone within seconds of the compass failure and kept thinking it would come home on its own.  By the time I realized it was in ATTI, I had no idea where it was as the map stopped updating as soon as the compass went out.  Even 'Find My Drone' couldn't begin to find it...it had it located at the spot where compass first failed.  

Not sure if you can tell from the flight logs, but I was frantically making controller inputs, attempting to climb hoping GPS would revive, spinning around to get an idea where I was, but with no video feed it was all for naught.  

In retrospect, I wish I had just dropped the drone as soon as it went into ATTI, but to be honest, I did not even realize it went into ATTI until after a minute or so.

Hindsight is always easier.  As is quarterbacking, when you are sitting on a barstool, and have plenty of time to go over all what ifs.  There are a few self-claimed experts here that have messed up, and had to send their birds in for repair.  But they won't pubicly acknowledge having too.  

In short, don't be to hard on yourself.  As Forest Gump said: Sh_t happens!

2019-3-18
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

BKahuna Posted at 3-18 08:20
I believe this is a Mavic forum and all things Mavic are discussed here.

And I believe you are wrong...

The forum is subdivided in sections & according to specific drone model FOR A REASON. The Mavic Platinum isn't a Mavic 2 Pro last time I checked and some of us aren't interested at all to find information about that drone in here. You have a page for the original Mavic / Platinum that anyone interested can go and post all day long.
2019-3-19
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

KlooGee Posted at 3-18 10:31

Agree KG,

Do something, act!

If only beginner drone pilots would learn and understand how it all works, not only pop-in battery and fly.
No, what if this happend, how does RTH works and when not   etc etc.

About ATTI and the manual saying landing is strongly recommended ; ofcourse that is somtimes the safest way to do. But just put 100% down stick and not knowing/seeing where the drone is, not that safe in my eyes.

If you have the knowledge and you fly at a height in an area where its safe to try to get in control of your craft, please do it. Depending on the wind and by use of the attitide/compass indiactor it is possible to yaw back home and fly home. believe me, i did it few times with my spark.
Gives stress ofcourse to do it, but its possible. if it does not work (for some reason), than land the craft.

In aviation manuals critical errors gives the opeator "landing mandatory / immediately", or when less critical "landing when practical / possible". Recommended gives the operator a choice, a risk assesment to be done and make a choice.

So my advice is: a) educate yourself flying ATTI or at least understand what it is, b) make a good choice ; or try to fly back or land your craft 100% down stick and hope it will not land in a childrens play ground.
When flying in small aircraft / helicopter it is good airmanship to lookout always for place to land if...
Easy because your own eye-ball mark 1 has a good overview of the area below where you are flying.
Flying a drone is different as you do not have that good overview. Camera is pointed forward and not quick scanning the area below. So if possible before hand know where you gonna fly (plus the area below) and get some idea about 2 emergency landing spots....but imo its not always done and not always possible.

But fully agree with Hallmark ; flying drones is more than popping in that battery and go for it....

Hope that all the threads about mishaps help the beginner drone flyers to understand more and learn from the 'experienced' flyers and the analysis made by us all.

cheers
JJB
2019-3-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JJB* Posted at 3-19 00:29
Agree KG,

Do something, act!

“About ATTI and the manual saying landing is strongly recommended ; ofcourse that is somtimes the safest way to do. But just put 100% down stick and not knowing/seeing where the drone is, not that safe in my eyes. ”

The manual is correct when craft goes to Atti mode, Landing in a safe place ASAP IS ALWAYS the safest option, in its words (SAFE PLACE)) and it’s  actions a (SAFE PLACE) to land.

Flying home for instance has more risk than a safe landing prior to returning home, if flying home is the safest place to land, then that’s what it is, but if pass a safe landing area you take on extra risk, that should be easy to see.

You agree with Kloo Gee, DO SOMETHING, except don’t try to land, I believe Kloo Gee was pointing to the fact that craft was heading close to an airport and across a motor way, it is both very quick and easy to point camera down and if as there was only trees then yes this is a safe place to land and much less risk than trying to fly home blind.

Lastly you keep quoting me wrongly , I never said just left stick down 100%, what I said was if it’s safe left stick down 100%, and I still believe this one single movement should be remembered by all drone pilots, in a safe place it carries the least amount of risk to both the pilot and property,  with the exception of the craft, which in my opinion should be third on the list in this scenario.

Your analogy of landing in a children’s playground was just a cheap shot, not something I said or implied .

2019-3-19
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 3-19 02:35
“About ATTI and the manual saying landing is strongly recommended ; ofcourse that is somtimes the safest way to do. But just put 100% down stick and not knowing/seeing where the drone is, not that safe in my eyes. ”

Good to read that you think that the manual is correct, i always go for self thinking after i read something.

In this case OP did fly at safe height (not VLOS) so nothing wrong to fly the same way back in the 'blind'.
If you can do it this way; better for you as you still have the drone and no risk of landing somewhere in the blind. As his video link did not work, pointless to cam down...
If you cannot control the AC in ATTI (and yes, don`t try for ages...) than land your AC.

Ofcourse you did not said anything about a childrens playground....but if you land in the blind....think about the consequences, a car park with expensive tesla`s ?  ;-)
So no cheap argument, but for other to think about !

So we do not agree, that`s OK ofcourse.

Let all drone flyers make up their mind and do their own risk assesment when the ATTI hits the fan.

happy many landings.
Cheers
JJB

2019-3-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JJB* Posted at 3-19 03:42
Good to read that you think that the manual is correct, i always go for self thinking after i read something.

In this case OP did fly at safe height (not VLOS) so nothing wrong to fly the same way back in the 'blind'.

Your right we don’t agree, advising somebody who has no experience to fly his drone when he can’t even see it , is not something I would opt for as the safest option.

You say operator had no FPV that’s not correct , he had FPV until very late in his flight, so yes , I still say if he had of known that he only needed put camera down and check that it was the safest thing to do was just land rather than cross a motorway and enter an airport, and a much safer option for someone so inexperienced to try to fly home .

I think you mix up OP with someone like you that is highly experienced that in a similar situation you would have had no problem flying back safely

Again you bring up the scenario of children’s playground and blind landing, I’m not sure why it is only you that is even thinking this.
I NEVER said anything about landing blind , I NEVER said anything about landing except to land where it was safe, so I’m not to sure why you insist on continually bringing this up .

You say let all drone flyer make up their own minds when they encounter Atti mode, but are critical of the OP’s decision to do nothing, that’s not letting all drone flyers make up their own mind, that’s been critical of his decision.

I’m afraid we don’t agree here either, I believe it’s ok to give newbies some sound advice as regards Atti mode and the correct way to assess risk, just as the manual does, I would never send them away with , make your own mind up what to do, but give them the benefit af any experience I have .

I think we differ on the point of what is important in such situations, certainly for me the safety of the drone is the least important .
2019-3-19
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

Sorry for your loss
2019-3-19
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 3-19 04:29
Your right we don’t agree, advising somebody who has no experience to fly his drone when he can’t even see it , is not something I would opt for as the safest option.

You say operator had no FPV that’s not correct , he had FPV until very late in his flight, so yes , I still say if he had of known that he only needed put camera down and check that it was the safest thing to do was just land rather than cross a motorway and enter an airport, and a much safer option for someone so inexperienced to try to fly home .

read #71  "...and broken video feed...."
don`t start again with your NEVER, read my txt "....Ofcourse you did not...."

So its obvious that inexperienced flyers need to get experience, by practise practise flying back manually using the attitide/compass indicator. Hope they understand this feature in the GoApp and start to use it. With that knowledge they can give it a try, flying back in ATTI before loosing their drone or worse. (let me think...., playground nah, tesla nah, uhh  top of police car?)
And i say again: only if the area where they are flying is safe to do so, if not land immediately!end of discussion on my behalf. (members will get bored from me/you/us *    )

* members may choose....

cheers
JJB

2019-3-19
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules