Is the Ronin SC depleting my camera's batteries?
4212 19 2020-4-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chris Tracy
lvl.1
Germany

When I leave my Nikon Z7 connected to the Ronin SC gimbal via USB-C, let's say over night, the next morning my camera's battery is completely empty.

This is weird, I would have expected the camera to be charged by the Ronin SC, not the other way around. As the Ronin SC - to my knowledge - doesn't have a charging function for the camera it should at least not deplete the camera's batteries, or am I mistaken? I wonder if my Ronin SC is working correctly or if it does have a glitch.

Anyone out there who might check, if the same thing happens to his camera battery or who can privide any explanation for this. I don't find anything in the manual about this. No warning, nothing.

I just don't want to have to remember to pull the USB-cable off my camera over night to prevent me from having an unwanted surprise the next morning with my camera not even being able to display the battery level on the display due to no power at all.

The Ronin SC's firmware version is 1.4.0.30, the iOS App Version is 1.2.8 (131).

Thanks guys.
2020-4-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Chris Tracy, Ronin-SC could charge the camera but it will not be powered by the camera. Is there any chance that the camera was not powered off completely but in Sleep mode? Please test again without the cable plugged in.
2020-4-13
Use props
Chris Tracy
lvl.1
Germany

DJI Mindy Posted at 4-13 02:21
Hi Chris Tracy, Ronin-SC could charge the camera but it will not be powered by the camera. Is there any chance that the camera was not powered off completely but in Sleep mode? Please test again without the cable plugged in.

Hi Mindy, yes this is what I thought, too. Therefore I double-checked the last three nights. I can positively confirm that the the camera was off. When I plugged off the USB-C cable from the camera last night, my battery level was unchanged, fully loaded. When I leave the Ronin SC connected to the camera, the battery level of the camera is zero after one night. And: Of course the Ronin SC was turned off, too. I didn't live it on.
The only explanation: My Ronin SC is pulling power from my camera through the USB-C even when both devices are turned off.
2020-4-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Chris Tracy Posted at 4-13 02:31
Hi Mindy, yes this is what I thought, too. Therefore I double-checked the last three nights. I can positively confirm that the the camera was off. When I plugged off the USB-C cable from the camera last night, my battery level was unchanged, fully loaded. When I leave the Ronin SC connected to the camera, the battery level of the camera is zero after one night. And: Of course the Ronin SC was turned off, too. I didn't live it on.
The only explanation: My Ronin SC is pulling power from my camera through the USB-C even when both devices are turned off.

We have forward the issue to our engineers for further test, if there is any update, I will come back to you promptly.
2020-4-13
Use props
professorpool
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I have a similar problem. The moment I plug my a6500 into the ronin sc (for control) I get the camera depleted message - even with brand new fully charged batteries.

Is there a setting I can change in the camera?
2021-2-6
Use props
Chris Tracy
lvl.1
Germany

Nobody came back to me. The problem persists. It is a hassle. Every time I forget to plug out, the battery is completely depleted. This is a major bug.
2021-2-6
Use props
Chris Tracy
lvl.1
Germany

DJI Mindy Posted at 2020-4-13 04:56
We have forward the issue to our engineers for further test, if there is any update, I will come back to you promptly.

What's the solution?!
2021-2-6
Use props
JacobWonder
lvl.1
United States

Same issue, my ZV-1 dies FAST on this thing...
2022-2-14
Use props
HM522
New

United States

I am having the same issue with my Sony a7iii. I have it fully charged, plug into ronin, and then the battery gets depleted much quicker than using the camera without the Ronin. Is the Ronin SC draining my camera battery?
2022-12-31
Use props
Chris Tracy
lvl.1
United States

Unfortunately, DJI has never reacted to my complaint. There is no solution yet. Terrible customer service.
2022-12-31
Use props
djiuser_tinZexZlxS9c
New
Hungary

Hey guys,

I see this is an old post, but same issue here with sc + sony a6500 maybe if we start reply here someone on DJI side will pick up this issue and answer.

Maybe a new hardware update might resolve the problem.
2023-1-2
Use props
djiuser_M2axPCLJtZrC
New
United States

I realize this is an old post but I think I found the issue. I shoot on a Sony A7IV. I found turning off USB power supply fixes the issue.
Go to setting > setup > USB> USB power supply > toggle off.

Hope this helps!
2023-3-5
Use props
djiuser_bgQwO8FQDbxQ
New

United States

Old post or not, this problem persists for me too. Has there been any update from customer service?
2023-3-16
Use props
djiuser_bgQwO8FQDbxQ
New

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2020-4-13 04:56

Has this issue been resolved?
2023-3-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Chris Tracy Posted at 2022-12-31 10:05
Unfortunately, DJI has never reacted to my complaint. There is no solution yet. Terrible customer service.

Sorry for the late reply. May I ask if the gimbal battery level has changed?
2023-3-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

djiuser_bgQwO8FQDbxQ Posted at 3-16 20:53
Has this issue been resolved?

Hi there, could you please tell us more details about the issue you encountered? Please tell us the model of your camera and gimbal.
2023-3-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Chris Tracy Posted at 2022-12-31 10:05

If possible, could you please test with another compatible camera to see if the issue also exists? At present, we recommend that you unplug the cable for storage after use to avoid this issue.
2023-3-18
Use props
Another Geoff
lvl.1

Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2023-3-18 00:35
If possible, could you please test with another compatible camera to see if the issue also exists? At present, we recommend that you unplug the cable for storage after use to avoid this issue.

I have a similar issue with a new RS3 and a Nikon Z6. If  leave the gimbal off and camera off, but the camera is still plugged into the control port, the camera battery will discharge over a few hours.

Gimbal firmware is 01.04.00.00

Regards, Geoff
3-20 22:00
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Another Geoff Posted at 3-20 22:00
I have a similar issue with a new RS3 and a Nikon Z6. If  leave the gimbal off and camera off, but the camera is still plugged into the control port, the camera battery will discharge over a few hours.

Hi there, may I ask if the gimbal battery level has changed?
3-21 01:55
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Another Geoff Posted at 3-20 22:00

Hi there, can you provide us with the following information?
1. What's the battery level of the gimbal and camera before shutting down? After this issue occurs, does the power of the gimbal change?
2. Is the camera control cable used between the camera and the gimbal the standard USB-C TO USB-C cable? Can you take a photo of the setup and connection status?
3. Please also tell us whether this situation occurs every time. And if the camera is connected to other devices through data cables, is it the same?
3-22 05:20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules