DJI Mavic Air 2 - Remote Controller And Tablet?
7425 73 2020-4-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 300837 ft
  • >>>
United States

Visual Air Posted at 5-22 06:09
Can anyone confirm those that have received there Mavic Air 2. The controller is it indeed USB C  where you plug your phone or tablet into?

Yes the RC for the Mavic Air 2 uses USB C on the RC end of the phone connection cables.
2020-5-22
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

BobWinNV Posted at 5-22 07:35
Yes the RC for the Mavic Air 2 uses USB C on the RC end of the phone connection cables.

Thank you.
2020-5-22
Use props
Grimtheviking
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11796312 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes definitely USB C on the RC end.
2020-5-22
Use props
TXTodd
lvl.1

United States

Since this holder is the size of a phone, I am wondering if this will work with the Air 2 controller?

amazon.com/gp/product/B07KFJ7P8B/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A1S7UXKBIJXX1H&psc=1

Sorry I can't link to it, newbie to the forums.
2020-5-26
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

2020-5-26
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JohnK48 Posted at 5-1 16:29
Fly app already supports tablets.  At least it works with the tablet that I am using (Samsung Galaxy TabA 8 - with non Intel processor).  Really nice (and cheap).

Are you having any problems with the Tab A yet? What sub model do you have? . Mine crashes at times in quick succession. One day it works ok and another... nope. I have tried the same tablet on the Mini and it's remote with no problems. Maybe the high data rate for the video is a problem? What cable are you using?
2020-5-26
Use props
B737ng
lvl.3
Flight distance : 297106 ft
Ireland

Be aware the Mavic Air 2 controller barely works with Iphone Max. It feels like it will break as it stretched to the very end .

I had to buy an external bracket as its just too hard to mount my iphone 11 pro max
2020-5-26
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

TXTodd Posted at 5-26 10:47
Since this holder is the size of a phone, I am wondering if this will work with the Air 2 controller?

amazon.com/gp/product/B07KFJ7P8B/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A1S7UXKBIJXX1H&psc=1

It may work if it is not too thick. The holder slots on the MA2 controller are much narrower than on the other types of controllers so it will not be as secure on the MA2. I have a similar mount and used a small, long machine screw with nut to hold it to the slide bars on the controller. It will never fall out now ;-) (Sorry, the phone is an S6, not G6)

2020-5-26
Use props
Skraeling
lvl.3
Flight distance : 121407 ft
United States

Visual Air Posted at 5-22 06:09
Can anyone confirm those that have received there Mavic Air 2. The controller is it indeed USB C  where you plug your phone or tablet into?

It is in fact usb c in the controller
2020-5-27
Use props
Skraeling
lvl.3
United States

I’ve flown multiple times with an ipad air2.  Yes it does require a mount to do it, but its quite nice.  Ill probably pick up a new mini whenever they launch though.  the regular ipad is massive and when added up there pretty heavy.
91260537-5C52-4EC2-B22C-976BDFAA3519.jpeg
2020-5-27
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
Flight distance : 311020 ft
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 5-26 13:54
Are you having any problems with the Tab A yet? What sub model do you have? . Mine crashes at times in quick succession. One day it works ok and another... nope. I have tried the same tablet on the Mini and it's remote with no problems. Maybe the high data rate for the video is a problem? What cable are you using?

Sorry, but have not been here for quite a while.  The Tab A has been flawless as far as I can tell, but have had trouble getting it to work with Mavic Air 2.  Size made it VERY hard to hold and still connect with the short cable.  BUT today, I received a new cable and table mounting bracket. Both work great!  Got them from Drone Valley.  Would you like a picture?  With the longer cable I can use the older table holder, but the new one positions the tablet pretty nicely.  A little less cumbersome.
2020-10-2
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
United States

I was able to use my existing tablet holder, with the exception that the cable was not quite long enough.
2020-10-2
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
United States

BobWinNV Posted at 5-22 07:35
Yes the RC for the Mavic Air 2 uses USB C on the RC end of the phone connection cables.

And the trick is that "normal" USB-C to micro USB cables do not work.  It requires an OTG cable that is directional, and most cables are directional in the wrong direction.  Drone Valley has one that work, though.
2020-10-2
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
United States

Skraeling Posted at 5-27 04:50
I’ve flown multiple times with an ipad air2.  Yes it does require a mount to do it, but its quite nice.  Ill probably pick up a new mini whenever they launch though.  the regular ipad is massive and when added up there pretty heavy.

With a tablet this big, you need a holder that would allow you to hold it by the tablet, however at some point you need to have your hands on the controller.  How do you maintain balance?
2020-10-2
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 5-26 18:39
It may work if it is not too thick. The holder slots on the MA2 controller are much narrower than on the other types of controllers so it will not be as secure on the MA2. I have a similar mount and used a small, long machine screw with nut to hold it to the slide bars on the controller. It will never fall out now ;-) (Sorry, the phone is an S6, not G6)

[view_image]

I got lucky and found a cable from Drone Valley (11 CM).  Just arrived today and it works.  This after about 4 or 5 failures.
2020-10-2
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JohnK48 Posted at 10-2 15:11
Sorry, but have not been here for quite a while.  The Tab A has been flawless as far as I can tell, but have had trouble getting it to work with Mavic Air 2.  Size made it VERY hard to hold and still connect with the short cable.  BUT today, I received a new cable and table mounting bracket. Both work great!  Got them from Drone Valley.  Would you like a picture?  With the longer cable I can use the older table holder, but the new one positions the tablet pretty nicely.  A little less cumbersome.

Not enough info. There are several sub models of the Tab A. Some work well, some work poorly and others not at all. Which one is yours?
2020-10-2
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 10-2 18:43
Not enough info. There are several sub models of the Tab A. Some work well, some work poorly and others not at all. Which one is yours?

You are quite right.  Mine is Galaxy Tab A 8", 2019 model SM-T290 and I believe that it is important to NOT have an Intel processor, but that detail is a bit fuzzy.  I was lucky enough to have this recommended by a tech savvy hardware guy.  Oh, and there is no cell phone in it.  Got it for a rediculously low price like $80.  Since getting it, it has been updated to Android 10 (and still works with Mavic Air 2 as well as Mavic Mini). At first it was hard to figure out how to install DJI GO 4 and DJI FLY, because the Tab A was not listed as supported.  Had to download to PC first then install via the Assistant.  Anyway, works great, especially after getting a cable from Drone Valley.  Their tablet holder is also pretty decent.  I guess I'll keep that dedicated to the MA2 and put the other one on the MM controller.  What luxury!
2020-10-4
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JohnK48 Posted at 10-4 19:16
You are quite right.  Mine is Galaxy Tab A 8", 2019 model SM-T290 and I believe that it is important to NOT have an Intel processor, but that detail is a bit fuzzy.  I was lucky enough to have this recommended by a tech savvy hardware guy.  Oh, and there is no cell phone in it.  Got it for a rediculously low price like $80.  Since getting it, it has been updated to Android 10 (and still works with Mavic Air 2 as well as Mavic Mini). At first it was hard to figure out how to install DJI GO 4 and DJI FLY, because the Tab A was not listed as supported.  Had to download to PC first then install via the Assistant.  Anyway, works great, especially after getting a cable from Drone Valley.  Their tablet holder is also pretty decent.  I guess I'll keep that dedicated to the MA2 and put the other one on the MM controller.  What luxury!

Interesting. I have the exact same model sans cell coverage but mine will not work reliable with my MA2. On the Mini, it is fine. The problems I had were experienced in sport mode and 2.7k or greater video resolution. Maybe that is the failing point. And Mine does NOT have a magnetic sesnor so ther is no compass function.

Disregard my last addition. I now see it is a 2019 and has been updated to Android 10 without me knowing it late at night just 2 weeks ago! Who knew?

2020-10-4
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 10-4 19:20
Interesting. I have the exact same model sans cell coverage but mine will not work reliable with my MA2. On the Mini, it is fine. The problems I had were experienced in sport mode and 2.7k or greater video resolution. Maybe that is the failing point.

Hmmm.  I have not used sport mode much.  And  maybe not 2.7K  I DID notice though that live video seemed a bit jumpy at times, like what happens when you are almost out of  range.  But it was very soon after takeoff.  Seemed better at range, but was not paying that much attention.  I'd guess that  right after takeoff the antennas are  too much directly under the tablet.  As drone goes horizontally then the radio propagation is better, especially if you hold the controller up.  Will have to pay attention.  What happens to you when it gives trouble?
2020-10-4
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JohnK48 Posted at 10-4 19:27
Hmmm.  I have not used sport mode much.  And  maybe not 2.7K  I DID notice though that live video seemed a bit jumpy at times, like what happens when you are almost out of  range.  But it was very soon after takeoff.  Seemed better at range, but was not paying that much attention.  I'd guess that  right after takeoff the antennas are  too much directly under the tablet.  As drone goes horizontally then the radio propagation is better, especially if you hold the controller up.  Will have to pay attention.  What happens to you when it gives trouble?

It crashes and reboots. Fortunately that happened fairly quickly and I was able to cancel the RTH.

I would check your tablet for compass function, by downloading a compass app.
2020-10-4
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
United States

JohnK48 Posted at 10-4 19:27

Sounds like a bandwidth problem, but that would be between controller and tablet, not between drone and controller,  unless the full data stream  is passed through controller to the tablet.
2020-10-4
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 10-4 19:30
It crashes and reboots. Fortunately that happened fairly quickly and I was able to cancel the RTH.

Ahh, compass is very sensitive to presence of magnets.  I once had gloves that had strong magnets in them (to hold to each other).  Could not take off.  Which is better than running into the problem mid flight.  Yes, you want the compass in the tablet to agree with the compass in the bird or you can get a fly away.
2020-10-4
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I should mention that I have not tried to use it with the MA2 since the Android 10 update.
2020-10-4
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 10-4 19:20
Interesting. I have the exact same model sans cell coverage but mine will not work reliable with my MA2. On the Mini, it is fine. The problems I had were experienced in sport mode and 2.7k or greater video resolution. Maybe that is the failing point. And Mine does NOT have a magnetic sesnor so ther is no compass function.

Disregard my last addition. I now see it is a 2019 and has been updated to Android 10 without me knowing it late at night just 2 weeks ago! Who knew?

I just installed a compass app and found out that  there is no magnetic sensor.  Hmm.  Hope that will not be a problem.  Oh, do you have the latest app and firmware?
2020-10-4
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
United States

JohnK48 Posted at 10-4 19:44
I just installed a compass app and found out that  there is no magnetic sensor.  Hmm.  Hope that will not be a problem.  Oh, do you have the latest app and firmware?

Makes me wonder if the controller has a compass inside.
2020-10-4
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
United States

TXTodd Posted at 5-26 10:47

Yes, should work, but you have to worry about the length of the cable from rc to tablet.  And cables can be troublesome.  My tablet needs micro USB and until a couple of days ago had none long enough.  Check out Drone Valley.  They also have a holder for tablet that is small.
2020-10-4
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

John, a couple of things:

The tablet has no magnetic sensor so the orientation display at the bottom of the screen will not work properly because the app does not know the direction faced by the operator. I use it on the Mini because I am not that particular about it. There is no compass in the controller, the app uses the one in your device, if any. Unfortunately the app does not tell you that it is missing.

I decided not to even try to use it for the MA2 and bought an ASUS Zenpad Z8S for about the same money. This is a link  that may show what I bought: https://www.ebay.com/itm/193443423487

You might try this one. It is the same part number, model and size (7.9") and there is a 30 day return: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fair-AS ... :g:RYIAAOSwydZb-BxC

Correction: The above ASUS device for sale is the same part number as mine.

2020-10-4
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I tried the Samsung SM-T290 with the MA2 again today and it comes back to me now that the displayed video is very jerky at any distance. This was while using the same controller that performs perfectly with the ASUS tablet. The saved 4k video was ok as far as I could tell.  I did not try anything more risky.
2020-10-5
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 10-4 19:30

Darn, I just had something similar.  did not reboot the tablet, but the DJI FLY app restarted (screen went black first).  AC was in the air at altitude and I was getting ready to land at a neighbor's yard.  Not terribly nice.
2020-10-5
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 10-4 19:52
John, a couple of things:

The tablet has no magnetic sensor so the orientation display at the bottom of the screen will not work properly because the app does not know the direction faced by the operator. I use it on the Mini because I am not that particular about it. There is no compass in the controller, the app uses the one in your device, if any. Unfortunately the app does not tell you that it is missing.

Hmm, looks like I should order one.  If I do, then I'll look at using the Samsung on my MM.  Hm, no compass explains how I got confused a while back - got a bit disoriented.  BTW, I originally thought the LED on the bottom of MA2 was useless, but kind of nice to find it if you lose it in the sky.  And of course the MA2 is considerably bigger than MM, and for sure that is easy to lose track of.  The flashing red and green lights don't stand out that much.  The sound helps track it.  Need a buddy with binocs.
2020-10-5
Use props
Skraeling
lvl.3
United States

JohnK48 Posted at 10-2 15:21
With a tablet this big, you need a holder that would allow you to hold it by the tablet, however at some point you need to have your hands on the controller.  How do you maintain balance?

I have the polar pro mount.  I maintain balance by having the ipad as much over the midpoint of the controller as I can.  Also im not exactly trying to jog with the thing mounted so just flying it is fine.
2020-10-15
Use props
flycajun
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4364 ft

United States

I bought a tablet holder for the Mavic Air 2 remote control and have since decided to get a Smart Controller instead.  If I can't return it to DJI I'll make you a deal on it.
2021-4-4
Use props
flycajun
lvl.2

United States

Why can't I delete this post?
2021-4-4
Use props
flycajun
lvl.2