United States

and no i don't work for them :-)
2015-7-2
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

nofearmx@gmail. Posted at 2015-7-3 05:38
No matter what they do do people will get mad. I am in the service industry and will never make ever ...

Quote "How many "complaints" about the FW were "oh i didn't realize i installed the wrong one"?

I'm not sure about your concern, but the firmware for the P3P and the P3A are different and won't install if attempting to use the wrong version.

You're late to the party. Granted there were a rash of fly-aways attributed the user. Shame on them. In their defense, documentation or lack there of his contributed to the problem. There still isn't a user manual for the Pilot app produced by DJI.

I hoped this discussion was going to stay focused on the announcement of new firmware and DJI having found solutions for the majority of the problems encountered. What DJI did today was make a good step in establishing a rapport with customers that have been waiting for weeks for fixes required for flight safety.

As for the users not using DJI supported devises, stop your female dogging, as they have been published for the past few months. Android being open sourced has lead to a multitude of companies making tablets with unknown components as well as Google Play compounding the problems.

Thank you DJI for making this step.
2015-7-2
Use props
uptowndisco
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7394987 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tony@CVP Posted at 2015-7-3 02:28
No it wasn't. You have to choose "custom" on the image transmission screen.

Tony you can no longer select that option with the last iOS update ,  it is there but greyed out.
2015-7-2
Use props
uptowndisco
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blade_Strike Posted at 2015-7-3 04:55
Just so you guys can see that the VPS issue isn't happen to all users. Mine works pretty darn well!

Blade we know they are not all affected , I could make the same video showing mine is ;-)
2015-7-2
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

duke@thetrustas Posted at 2015-7-3 02:01
I'm not going to risk hurting others, or crashing a $1,400 toy when it won't even hover at eye lev ...

Yours really acts this way?

I have flown my P1, p2's and P3 all over close the ground and don't see this behavior.
Maybe you have a certain need to fly at eye level?

VPS, even when working, is often very flawed. You could just as well claim "I'm not going to fly a model over a sloped grass surface because the VPS is off".

Go fly. VPS is for indoors (IMHO) - and, even then, I'd never rely on it.  Yes, sooner or later it will be perfected, but not yet (even if they fix this particular bug).
2015-7-2
Use props
nofearmx
lvl.3

United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-7-3 06:00
Quote "How many "complaints" about the FW were "oh i didn't realize i installed the wrong one"?

I ...

I wasn't complaining or even concerned. I was pointing out that DJI is putting out a great product and that a lot of the "issues" on this forum are more pilot related than product. If you have read some of the post you will see that a lot of these problems did come from people not reading guidelines or installing the right FW. I do not know where you were going with this. I am just Happy that DJI is taking this stance and stand by them
2015-7-2
Use props
Videolester
lvl.2
Flight distance : 466624 ft
Canada

Hello DJI!  I have had ZERO problems with my P3P running  V1.2.6 .... If all is well, and it seems that way ... Should I revert back to the old firmware?
BTW ...   i LOVE my P3P!
2015-7-2
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

nofearmx@gmail. Posted at 2015-7-3 07:01
I wasn't complaining or even concerned. I was pointing out that DJI is putting out a great product ...

I've been reading these forums since the middle of April when the first Phantom 3's started showing up to early adopters.

The issue has been that since the advent of the P3, there have been at least four firmware updates (1.1.6, 1.1.8, 1.1.9, and 1.2.6)  I've saved everyone of them for the P3P.

Quoting you again. "If you have read some of the post you will see that a lot of these problems did come from people not reading guidelines or installing the right FW. I do not know where you were going with this."

Having never tried, I'm not aware of being able to install the Advanced firmware in place of the Professional version. Or the Professional version on a Advanced. That's where is was going with my previous comment.

Where people have gone wrong is not inserting the bin file in the root directory or not removing the txt file after installation in the quad and then attempting to install the bin on the controller. There must have been 40 threads on firmware updates and issues encountered.

When the Phantom is flight worthy, it flies well. I found a version of firmware that works for me. Using 1.1.9 with Pilot app 1.1.2. Since prior to today's announcement unless you were a developer, you couldn't roll the firmware back, I found something that worked, and stayed at that level.

DJI is doing the right thing with allowing for a "test drive" of the new firmware before having to settle on old verses new, provided that it goes as planned.

I've got the developer package and can go back to 1.1.3 if needed. I don't wish to tinker as I've got paying work to do when I feel like tinkering.

For those here that are having issues, I'm hoping that this new firmware program works out for you.

2015-7-2
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

Shutter Posted at 2015-7-3 00:28
Where can i find hardware decoding on my Tab S?

I think she said in the pilot app. I am looking now
2015-7-2
Use props
skyvideoct
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1136230 ft
United States

My first visit to this forum. Picked up a P3p while my Inspire "rests" in LA Interesting to see firmware discussions here too..
2015-7-2
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

rseal Posted at 2015-7-2 23:48
Do you think there are two or three batches of Phantoms that work better with the different firmware ...

No matter how great 1.2.6 or 8 works... Vps doesn't for anyone. That is limited to the earlier ones.
2015-7-2
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

Videolester Posted at 2015-7-3 07:13
Hello DJI!  I have had ZERO problems with my P3P running  V1.2.6 .... If all is well, and it seems t ...

Vps works? No? Then you are having issues.
2015-7-2
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

duke@thetrustas Posted at 2015-7-3 02:01
I'm not going to risk hurting others, or crashing a $1,400 toy when it won't even hover at eye lev ...

Do Imu calibration and toggle vps on and off several times until leaving off. I had the exact issues prior to. It will work.
2015-7-2
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

Just so you guys can see that the VPS issue isn't happen to all users. Mine works pretty darn well!

Wow. First I have heard. Thought everyone had issues with vps
2015-7-2
Use props
nofearmx
lvl.3

United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-7-3 07:36
I've been reading these forums since the middle of April when the first Phantom 3's started showin ...

So we are saying the same thing realistically. I personally have not had any issues... i am just applauding the fact that they are willing to give us (customers) the ability to move forward, test and revert if it doesn't work.
Now yes in a perfect world all new FW would work perfectly and any improvement would be perfect. But I can only assume (which I hate to do) is that they are trying to fix bugs on several platforms. Ie the never ending debate of mac vs windows where mac controls hardware and windows has to work with several platforms. (in this case not windows but google interface)
I am not a programmers by any means just a photog so some of it alludes me. Am i lucky that everything works yes probably. I have not had any issues, and if I have they are small and if my bird drifts i compensate and so on. I do understand that some people have had horrid experiences, but I don't think that is the norm either.
2015-7-2
Use props
ScottyT
lvl.4

Australia

Spankybear Posted at 2015-7-3 03:27
Texas... They says a lot...

Regardless, You did not read the warranty, and what is and isn't cover ...

Stop being an idiot and filling this thread with nonsense.
2015-7-2
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

Ever hear of an implied warranty of merchantability?  DJI's policies don't trump state consumer protection laws.
2015-7-2
Use props
ScottyT
lvl.4

Australia

Over 1000 flights doesn't really seem a lot. How many people have they got testing, and with how many different craft?
2015-7-2
Use props
duke
lvl.1

United States

Many thanks to DJI for addressing this problem.

How soon can we expect a rollback?
2015-7-2
Use props
chrisclaydon
lvl.3

Australia

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-7-3 08:34
Wow. First I have heard. Thought everyone had issues with vps

My VPS is on all the time and don't seem to have any problems.... Running the latest versions of everything too.

I was careful at the start when I read about the problems that some where having... But my PH3 seems unaffected.

LAG problems yes... but Downgrade to google play fixed that.

Regs Chris
2015-7-2
Use props
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

chrisclaydon@bi Posted at 2015-7-3 12:49
My VPS is on all the time and don't seem to have any problems.... Running the latest versions of e ...

Yepp, same here. No problem with VPS.
2015-7-3
Use props
sdharris
lvl.3
Flight distance : 384967 ft
United Kingdom

For me the VPS issue occurs at altitude, it works relatively well at low level but if you climb to about 80 ft and start to either fly level or descend you will see the VPS display pop up in the lower left and show values such as 1.7 ft, then 0.7 ft then after a while you'll get the VPS error please land immediately.

Mine will happily stay level and true at about 3 feet with VPS but it does drift more than usual.
2015-7-3
Use props
dirk.liesenfeld
lvl.2

Germany

Blade_Strike Posted at 2015-7-3 01:58
What issues are you having that would prevent you from flying?

Strange question. The current state of the software makes it almost impossible to do some serious filming.
2015-7-3
Use props
dirk.liesenfeld
lvl.2

Germany

InspirelessAggi Posted at 2015-7-3 02:48
I'd like to hear from DJI about the warranty on the shell.   Who says it's not covered?  As far as ...

I love Germany. Here we have a really great warranty system. The legal warranty period is 2 years and that is binding for any product sold here.
Any product that has any defect in the first 6 months is covered by a "strong" warranty - unless the manufactorer can prove, that the damage is not because of poor product quality, he has to fix or replace the product. Starting from month 7 to 24, the costumer has to prove, that the damage isn't his fault.
Plus: Anything bought at Amazon.de is replaced in most cases very easily (unless it is obvious, that the costumer broke it)
2015-7-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Autumn,
Thanks again for your help and time.
My Phantom still flies great, and has none of the negative issues that others here have experienced.
So rolling back the firmware version used, isn't something I need to address.

But I appreciate DJI's commitment to its several products, operating safely and efficiently.
It's a definite step in the right direction, as far as customer service in concerned. And surely shut up, many of your detractors.

Eagerly awaiting any of the new app updates, and all firmware improvements as well. ;-)

Check your email in the morning, as I have some questions, about your offer to me, last night.
Thanks again. I look forward to hearing from you. Soon.

RedHotPoker
2015-7-3
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

InspirelessAggi Posted at 2015-7-3 00:01
autumn,  what is DJI going to do about the shells cracking around the motors.  You guys need to insp ...

We are discussing about it.
2015-7-3
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

BobbyB Posted at 2015-7-3 10:27
Ever hear of an implied warranty of merchantability?  DJI's policies don't trump state consumer pr ...

Well then...  Mr. All Hat No Cattle can hire a lawyer... And has to prove that the frame is defective, unsable and wins in court then he can have this frame dealt with.

For me... If my P3 cracks I'll just fix it myself...  
2015-7-3
Use props
duke
lvl.1

United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-7-3 08:27
Do Imu calibration and toggle vps on and off several times until leaving off. I had the exact issu ...

I truly appreciate any recommendations that worked for you...

But you obviously have more money to gamble than I...and I will NOT gamble with the safety of others on the ground, either.

With all this talk of FAA regulations, does anyone here really think their P3Pro would pass an FAA inspection with the current state of the firmware?

I think not.

ETA: To DJI, we all realize that this is cutting edge technology and new technology always breeds its own set of problems. PLEASE just keep your customers informed. Screw ups happen on the cutting edge. Just let us know what is going on. I was sitting here with my finger on the button getting ready to order my credit card company to reverse the charges (...and they WILL...they honor the customer first and ask questions later) and return my P3Pro because my supplier won't even ANSWER their phones right now due to the flood of calls about this error. My credit card dispute resolution center tried to call them too and got no answer either. I told them to give it a week before I finalize my decision.

I'd really rather keep my P3 and just "click my heels three times" and go back to the way it was new (rollback firmware), than have to return this one just to get another one later.
2015-7-3
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
United States

dirk.liesenfeld Posted at 2015-7-3 18:01
Strange question. The current state of the software makes it almost impossible to do some serious  ...

Really, I filmed with mine, got some AWESOME shots of an old AT&T long line site and had zero issues...  Flew fine, filmed fine... all on the latest firmware available.
2015-7-3
Use props
duke
lvl.1

United States

Spankybear Posted at 2015-7-3 20:26
Really, I filmed with mine, got some AWESOME shots of an old AT&T long line site and had zero issu ...

You are truly, magically blessed sir and the entire forum salutes your superior intellect.

Now...for the other 99.999% of P3 pilots, about that rollback.

Waiting...waiting...waiting...what's so hard about a simple rollback to 1.1.8 when my P3 was magical too?
2015-7-3
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
United States

duke@thetrustas Posted at 2015-7-3 22:24
You are truly, magically blessed sir and the entire forum salutes your superior intellect.

Now... ...

Just stating my experience... Don't know why my rig is working better than others here.... Maybe it is my superior intellect? Or maybe ignorance is bliss? Don't know but my P3 flies just fine.
2015-7-3
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

Spankybear Posted at 2015-7-3 20:24
Well then...  Mr. All Hat No Cattle can hire a lawyer... And has to prove that the frame is defect ...

Thanks for the treatise, I could've saved at that time at Georgetown and just asked you.
2015-7-3
Use props
dirk.liesenfeld
lvl.2

Germany

Spankybear Posted at 2015-7-3 20:26
Really, I filmed with mine, got some AWESOME shots of an old AT&T long line site and had zero issu ...

Whenever things work out great for oneself, that is the best time to practice compession for the inferior situation of the less fortunate ones. That way one might hope, that other people will do the same for oneself, when oneselfs situation will be inferior some other day...
{:2_37:}
2015-7-3
Use props
Clear Skies
lvl.1

South Africa

Definately a step in the right direction. I for one am pleased with DJI's commitment but time will tell i guess. On a personal note.. I am running my P3 pro with firmware  1.2.6 and reverted to ver 1.1.0 on my 10.1 tab. I have since NOT experienced any video lag, app crashing, loss of signal issues etc. Using the pilot app ver 1.1.0
2015-7-3
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

Autumn,

Thanks for the update.  The ability to roll back the firmware to the previous version will be greatly appreciated in the event a new firmware release "fixes one thing but breaks another."

Here are some additional firmware fixes that I kindly suggest DJI address in its next firmware update for the Phantom 3:

1) Enable IMU calibrations at ambient temperature without incurring a "IMU is Warming Up" message for 1-3 minutes on first power up.  Cuurently, it is necessary, in many cases, to chill the P3 below ambient temperature prior to starting an IMU calibration in order to eliminate the "IMU is Warming Up" message after first power on cycle following an IMU calibration.
2) Implement an easy, reliable, permanent fix to the "tilted horizon" camera gimbal issue that would require only that the P3 be placed on a flat, level surface and then performing an "Gimbal Auto Calibration" in the Gimbal Param Settings menu.  Many P3s suffer from a camera gimbal with a tilted horizon (non-level camera) out of the box, and the current Gimbal Auto Calibration does not correct this issue for many owners.  Performing an IMU calibration (several) followed by a Gimbal Auto Calibration also did not correct this situation for me and many others.  It took repeated, extraordinary measures (one hour chilling of P3 in a refrigerator), followed by immediate IMU calibration, followed by Gimbal Auto Calibration to finally get my P3 camera level.  Such gymnastics should not be required to achieve this critically important "level camera" performance.
3) increase the speed at which the P3 adjusts the camera gimbal to perfectly level following a Yaw maneuver in either clockwise or counter-clockwise direction.  I finally got my camera horizon level by performing a series of IMU cold calibrations and Auto Gimbal Calibrations.  But my camera is often tilted 3-7 degrees for 20-30 seconds following a yaw maneuver while flying and then it slowly corrects back to level.  My Inspire 1 responds much more quickly to adjust camera gimbal tilt following a yaw maneuver.
4) Current battery firmware is subject to reporting incorrect high battery charge level percentage, particularly after a battery firmware update.  Add additional "intelligence" to the battery firmware that compares battery voltage to calculated battery level percentage, particularly for calculated battery level percentages greater than 85%.  
5) On several occassions, when flying when there were steady 15-17 mph winds, I observed that the P3 did an amazing job of holding its position when hovering (no stick input).  It even quickly corrected its position when wind gusts moved it a couple feet.  So, P-GPS flight control was working well. However, when attempting to transition from a hover and fly forward straight into a 15 mph head wind, if I applied only a "little" forward stick with the intent to start moving forward slowly, the P3 would instead start drifting backwards with the wind.  I could quickly correct for this by applying more right stick.  But the P3 was responding as if the the right stick input was relative a 0 mph wind rather than increasing motor power relative to that required to maintain its position in a hover.  I am an experienced pilot and could compensate for the wind drift, but this struck me as something that needed tweaking in the P3 flight control software.

Thank you for listening to your users and responding to reported firmware issues.  Please ask your programmers to clearly document what fixes have been implemented in the firmware update notes for each firmware release.  Just noting "various bug fixes" is insufficient information.

I would be happy to respond to any additional questions you may have about my suggested firmware improvements above.

- Dave
2015-7-3
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2856060 ft
  • >>>
United States

uptowndisco@hot Posted at 2015-7-3 06:18
Tony you can no longer select that option with the last iOS update ,  it is there but greyed out.

Actually I have the most current iOS Pilot app and still have that option. It's there.
2015-7-3
Use props
Inspector_Tim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 35899 ft
United States

As I'm not a code or software person, there must be something more complicated than simply creating a *new* firmware containing the *old*firmware, correct? There's probably a lot more to creating options for customers such as creating new versions of firmware with 1.18 and 1.19 as a base and at someone's choice... There must be some other *fixes* that are not being discussed that were present in the newer firmware...

I say there must be other more complicated things than simply fixing this and putting a fire out, as it would seem that you can't read about the Phaontom 3 without reading about how the new firmware screwed up a perfectly good product.

So, in closing... there must be something very complicated about all this.
2015-7-3
Use props
uptowndisco
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tony@CVP Posted at 2015-7-4 07:11
Actually I have the most current iOS Pilot app and still have that option. It's there.

Wonder if it is just the ones already affected with the latest firmware that also has the problem with non selectable HD settings ?  I do have the VPS problem and have spoke to others experiencing the same HD transmission problem as well , damned strange lol  
2015-7-3
Use props
Philliplloyd20
lvl.3
Flight distance : 690607 ft
United Kingdom

uptowndisco@hot Posted at 2015-7-4 09:41
Wonder if it is just the ones already affected with the latest firmware that also has the problem  ...

Me also, ios 1.2.0 hd setting is grayed out! I've also experienced vps issues and other problems since 1.2.6 p3p. Is the a connection between the two??
2015-7-3
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

Philliplloyd20 Posted at 2015-7-4 14:25
Me also, ios 1.2.0 hd setting is grayed out! I've also experienced vps issues and other problems si ...

You might try deleting and reinstalling the DJI Pilot app.  Also, in the HD menu (Image Transmission Setting menu), the Image Transmission Quality slider bar below the noise level graph is only visible and changeable if Channel is set to Manual; it is invisible if Channel is set to Auto.  So, I wonder if video transmission quality is set to 4 or 6 Mbps in Auto mode?
2015-7-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules