Tilta Ring Grip damages Gimbal!
6859 13 2022-1-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mbrell
lvl.1

Germany

Hey Everyone,

wanted to share (and to warn?) my experience with the Tilta Ring Grip. Installed everyting like it's suppposed to. Everything works fine for a couple of hours. Then the RS2 stops to work. It doesn't turn on anymore. Called DJI Support. The said it needs to be sent in to be fixed. I thought it's probably only bad luck, so I tried a SECOND unit of RS2 Gimbal with the Ring Grip. And AGAIN: After a couple of hours of shooting the RS2 broke. This time a red symbol in the uppoer left corner of the display shows up. The gimbal turns on, but doesn't do anything anymore. Called Customer Support again. They said: It's a hardware malfunction. Needs to be sent in for repair.

So. To be very clear: I ruined TWO Units of RS2 Gimbals in two days using it with the ring grip. Has anyone experienced something like that?

In addition to the ring itself I'm using the focus remote handle and the Battery Plate. (NOT the v Mount Plate, but the smaller Battery Plate.)

The battery plate powers my Teradek Bolt 300: D Tap > Lemo.

Everything SEEMS to work fine and as I said, the gimbal breaks after a couple of hours. My theory is that it might have something to do with electronics/power/battery plate/teradek?

It's such a shame, because the idea to power everyting through one battery is aweseome, in theory. I bought a THIRD unit of RS2 Gimbal because I'm shooting basically everyday and I just need to work. So now I unplugged the teradek from the battery plate and power the teradek off it's own extra battery.

Has anybody ANY idea how all of this is possible? I really don't understand what's happening but for obvious reasons I don't trust the whole RS2 /Tilta Ring setup anymore.

All the best, Marcel
Bildschirmfoto 2022-01-06 um 14.53.37.png
2022-1-6
Use props
djiuser_cYED2JVVlirF
lvl.2
United States

Bought the advanced ring, and power adapter. Just had the ring fry my gimbal and I believe the ring is broken now too. So disappointing, see multiple reports of this.
2022-1-15
Use props
mbrell
lvl.1

Germany

Wow. So it seems this is a real production Problem. I fried TWO gimbals in one week.
2022-1-15
Use props
fansed68bcf9
lvl.1
Germany

Same Problem here, I just broke 2 RS2 in two days.
2D03E833-B331-487F-B763-43822FD5CF16.jpeg
5F0540AC-FA5E-4493-821B-BE9EA31CAF80.jpeg
4CF5C9E7-B1B1-4D6C-9B9B-2A4610848F32.jpeg
2022-2-15
Use props
mbrell
lvl.1

Germany

the thing is: I believe we should rather post this to the Titla Forum, since it's not DJIs fault. It's definitely Tilta.
2022-2-15
Use props
fansed68bcf9
lvl.1
Germany

mbrell Posted at 2-15 05:34
the thing is: I believe we should rather post this to the Titla Forum, since it's not DJIs fault. It's definitely Tilta.

Is there a official Tilta forum ?
2022-2-15
Use props
lonelymedia
New
Flight distance : 170020 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm pretty sure this may have something to do with the fact that the power supply module allows the d-tap to be inserted the wrong way round.

A colleague has just had this issue and the D-Tap was in fact conected with the + and - the wrong way round. Not sure from an electrical point of view exaclty what this does, but seems to be the only indicator so far of how this is happening to so many users.

Why Titlta even allow the D-tap to be connected like this I have no idea - it's an easy mistake to make when running about on a shoot.

At the moment any questions or forums submitted regarding this issue, wether from users or retailers, seems to be taken down or ignored entirely despite it being a well documented issue.
2022-5-3
Use props
RichW73
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2795 ft
United Kingdom

I've fried three gimbals now and the ring finally went back to CVP in the UK and they have found a fault and contacted Tilta to initiate a repair. I had a sneaking suspicion it was tied to the D-Tap. I have the power supply and D-Tap going to a Ninja V and seems to happen if you unplug anything connected to the power supply without turning absolutely everything off. That's the only thing I can think I have done on at least one of the occasions. What's weird is each time the ring is absolutely fine and the gimbal is completely dead. I'll post here when I get any word from Tilta.
2022-5-6
Use props
mbrell
lvl.1

Italy

Thanks for sharing. For now my solution is to not use the power plate anymore. As I said: I fried two gimbals in two days. Such a shame.
2022-5-7
Use props
mbrell
lvl.1

Italy

Thanks for sharing. For now my solution is to not use the power plate anymore. As I said: I fried two gimbals in two days. Such a shame.
2022-5-7
Use props
Eye in the Sky Studios
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2251188 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey, folks. Just got RS3 Pro and Tilta Advanced Ring. Did any of you find out a solution for this OR did Tilta fix the problem? I have the V-Mount plate and haven't had any issues, but haven't taken it on a shoot yet. Thought I read on a forum somewhere that when the grip is attached at the top with a V-Mount/Gold Mount plate, it causes trouble...?
2022-7-9
Use props
fansce8c6b9e
New

United States

I'm in the club too!  Just got my RS2  back from $130 repair (diagnosis was, "Dear Customer, After carrying out the damage assessment, we found that the Tilt-Axis Motor malfunctioned; the Tilt-Axis
ESC Board malfunctioned.")  My symptoms were similar... one day while prepping, the gimbal kept suddenly going unresponsive... Like it went to sleep, but the screen stayed the same.  Every so often It would wake it'self up for a bit then conk off again.   I think this was from using the power module  not the vmount module.  Thus I now have dtap splitters all over the rig.  Bummer since the power port was such a great idea for powering monitors and transmitters on top.    Of course both Tilta won't take blame, and DJI is so hard to get a person on phone.      I have the RS3 and have had luck on a few shoots so far just using the V-mount  attachement and pulling power from my v-mount batteries.   Nervous to try the power supply attachment and fry another one.   If anyone has luck getting word from DJI or TILTA about this post here.
2022-9-2
Use props
fans9337a743
lvl.1

United States

Hey Guys,

Had my unit lose all power when I got to a shoot today.... using the Ring with the gold mount battery plate and the DTAP distro box for my Small HD monitor.... got back to my office and started trying different things and finally the unit worked again (still not sure how), but am concerned after hearing about the similar issues you guys are having.  There was an article about a month ago on News Shooter.com about monitors, teradeks abd other units hook to the camera via SDI cables and powered from the camera battery getting fried when the proper sequence for powering up/down everything is not followed.  According to the article you need to hook everything up first before powering the system and turn off everything before unplugging. Wondering if this could be the problem?  Perhaps someone with more engineering knowledge could share their thoughts?  Will jump back in if I have more issues... hope we can get some answers!
2023-5-11
Use props
Sgitch
lvl.1
Flight distance : 268625 ft
United States

yikes i was just researching into buying a tilta with a monitor and batterys and now i read through this thread and hear these horror storys..
3-22 23:36
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules