Magnetic Case + Power Combo: Something is WRONG
1567 13 2022-5-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
knowless
lvl.2
Italy

I just bought a Magnetic Case for my Action 2.

The overheating problem is largely solved. Great job DJI!

However, there is a very annoying problem: the Magnetic Case has obviously been built only for the Dual Screen Combo, with the Power Combo it presents a problem which unfortunately is not only aesthetic, in fact if you log in with the case the microphone records clicking sounds of the power module that does not fit properly in the case.

DJI, it's worth taking a little extra effort and creating a correct version for those with Power Combo. Please!

https://youtube.com/shorts/r1OpIx_2AXk

2022-5-12
Use props
WiscoPaddler
lvl.4
United States

I was kind of thinking this wouldn't fit both properly.  It's almost like you need to get those little bumpers that you put on the back of picture frames you put on the wall... maybe putting 1-2 in there to hold the power module snug.  

However, that's not the most elegant solution.
2022-5-12
Use props
knowless
lvl.2
Italy

WiscoPaddler Posted at 5-12 08:01
I was kind of thinking this wouldn't fit both properly.  It's almost like you need to get those little bumpers that you put on the back of picture frames you put on the wall... maybe putting 1-2 in there to hold the power module snug.  

However, that's not the most elegant solution.

Exactly my friend.

I would also be willing to pay extra (as I paid for this magnetic case) but have a case created on my Power Combo module. Without having to give up a good audio recording and without having the module that moves inside the case.

I hope DJI will solve it as soon as possible, at least for the professionalism and prestige of the brand, also because the case is good as a protection and solves the problem of overheating, so it is not an "optional accessory", but done like this, it is just badly done.
2022-5-12
Use props
jhoff80
lvl.4
United States

I'd also personally like to see the secondary module portion of the case sold separately for half price or something.  I've got a Front Screen module and two battery modules, and it doesn't make sense to me to need to swap the case every time I switch to a different battery.  If I could buy more that'd make so much more sense.
2022-5-12
Use props
knowless
lvl.2
Italy

jhoff80 Posted at 5-12 08:52
I'd also personally like to see the secondary module portion of the case sold separately for half price or something.  I've got a Front Screen module and two battery modules, and it doesn't make sense to me to need to swap the case every time I switch to a different battery.  If I could buy more that'd make so much more sense.

Totally agree with you jhoff.
2022-5-12
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for giving out this information and this link. I will forward this matter to the designated DJI department for attention. Thank you.
2022-5-12
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nothing is wrong with the case, it's just that DJI seem to be alienating all those who purchased the power combo and just concentrate on the display combo.
Maybe that's their best seller??
Either way, a Power Combo version should be made available......
2022-5-13
Use props
knowless
lvl.2
Italy

Mmm... DJI? We look forward to answers and solutions.
2022-5-17
Use props
rmclachlan
lvl.1
United Kingdom

For me there are two issues - firstly the power combo is slightly too shallow to fit snugly in the case, so it can move backwards and forwards. This creates a small amount of noise on recorded footage.

However the worse issue for me is that when the case is on the camera block, whether there is a case on the power combo or not, the camera can rock backwards and forwards more - enough in fact that if you push the camera forwards while holding onto the power combo, the power connection to the power combo is interrupted. This rocking is the primary source of the rattling noise I get with the Action 2 mounted on my bike, when I use the case.
2022-5-22
Use props
Captain Biggles
lvl.1
Flight distance : 210299 ft
United Kingdom

Reading the comments about the unit(s) moving about in the power module case made me want to report my (catastrophic) failure this morning. Riding my bike with the camera + power modules mounted in the case, with the whole thing invertedly mounted below my Garmin out-front mount (so from top to bottom it goes: mount, power module, camera) the power module rattled free of the case and came out, bouncing down the road. When I went to pick it up the camera was still in the case but the power module, still attached to the camera, was not. The power module case was still on the bike.

Thankfully, aside from a few small scratches, both units appear to still be functioning.

Clearly the way the power module case "holds" the power module is not sufficient to stop it from pitching forwards and out. Looking closely, the case only has two small lugs in front of the mounting which are clearly not sufficient to retain it under "normal" road vibration.

I wonder what liability DJI would accept for this kind of failure, had it resulted in more than a couple of scratches?
2022-6-14
Use props
jhoff80
lvl.4
United States

Captain Biggles Posted at 6-14 05:57
Reading the comments about the unit(s) moving about in the power module case made me want to report my (catastrophic) failure this morning. Riding my bike with the camera + power modules mounted in the case, with the whole thing invertedly mounted below my Garmin out-front mount (so from top to bottom it goes: mount, power module, camera) the power module rattled free of the case and came out, bouncing down the road. When I went to pick it up the camera was still in the case but the power module, still attached to the camera, was not. The power module case was still on the bike.

Thankfully, aside from a few small scratches, both units appear to still be functioning.

Sounds pretty similar to the issue I mentioned in a separate thread, which I'm now thinking might be tied to the case more so than the mount clips.  Not quite the same thing but I also had catastrophic failure using the case.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=267018
2022-6-16
Use props
MonoJonno
lvl.1
United Kingdom

+ 1 on the rattling sound caused by the case
2022-6-19
Use props
tekron
lvl.1
United States

Late here, but this problem is rather insane. They sold a new product with a case they made for it and it doesn't fit the product it comes with in the box.

The SmallRig case(at least w dualscreen) doesn't stay together on a magnetic level and is extremely susceptible to jig and departure

The DJI case is perfect with the dual screen, but it set up to have various points in which the unit can jig and separate

All they needed to do, if they were not doing to design the case correctly, is to put a separate(maybe magnetic) trim piece that fits snug and replicates most or all of the structural integrity as the dualscreen when mounted into the case. It really shouldn't be too hard or an expensive product. Maybe not the best way to mitigate the design flaw, but it truly is insane that the case doesn't fit the camera. I don't even agree they should have made two separate versions of the case, I simply think they needed to do something so the result wasn't that the 'new' product, out-of-box, doesn't fit in the protective casing they provide with it; and whichs sets the user up to have their camera take a spill. Being an action camera, it's just really not good. It would be like buying an expensive tripod that works in most ways, but also falls over really, really easily. It's supposed to hold up the camera and keep it stable, but instead it causes it to break.
3-28 10:30
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

the connection is not stable, it always rattles, even with the dual screen module, use an external microphone!
it rats even without a case!
try a neck mount

Leave out the lower protective cover on the bike, the retaining clips are only in the cover and not in the module! (Design error)
IMG_20231025_091105.jpg
IMG_20231118_061107.jpg
3-28 17:43
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules