Solar Charging Mavic 3 batteries
2019 12 2022-10-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
willard1114
lvl.1

United States

I have a 100W solar panel with a USB-C PD 65W protocol charging port.   Will this charge the DJI Mavic 3 batteries, charging hub, and the DJI RC Pro Remote Controller?

2022-10-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there willard1114. Thank you for reaching out and for this inquiry. I hope that our fellow DJI Co pilots who have tried this method / process in charging these DJI Mavic 3's intelligent flight batteries can share and give out the best resolution for this issue. Thank you.
2022-10-6
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12401030 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

uh, what can go wrong?  if the output Volts and Amps are within DJI specs.....

just give it a try

cheers
JJB
2022-10-6
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

If the solar charger have also a buffer battery in order to keep the power even when sun is in shade, yes.
2022-10-7
Use props
willard1114
lvl.1

United States

I found a reply from a DJI expert on this form that the DJI 65w car charger employs both PPS and PD charging protocols.  The 100W solar panel  I am interested in is on Amazon at

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09V2V3V5F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.  

I was informed by the seller of this solar panel that their 65W USB-C  port also supports both PPS and PD charging protocols.   Because both the DJI 65W car charger and the solar panel I intend to purchase use the same charging protocals, then the solar panel will most likely charge the DJI Mavic 3 Cine batteries and the controler.

I am a large format photographer who spends the entire summer and early fall in the backcountry of Colorado. I use two llamas and my backpack to port around 280 pounds of gear into the wilderness. I am hoping to document my story using both the DJI Action 2 and the DJI Mavic 3 Cine cameras. Hense my need for charging with a solar panel.  

I untend to pruchase rverything in January of next year. I will post the results of the actual solar charger then.

2022-10-7
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

Make sure to purchase many batteries. There will be lots of days without adequate direct sunshine.
2022-10-7
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

The answer is .... heck yes. Here is my kit when I go to the RC park.
2022-10-7
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Also, with four panels, I can produce more energy than I require even when charging three m3, three m2p, and three dpi fpv batteries, plus controllers, plus a tablet.  Oh and one Bose bluetooth speaker.  (Yes, I like to rock out with some music while playing with my toys.)
2022-10-7
Use props
djiuser_ezNqvabS16lC
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1267251 ft
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 2022-10-7 11:30
Also, with four panels, I can produce more energy than I require even when charging three m3, three m2p, and three dpi fpv batteries, plus controllers, plus a tablet.  Oh and one Bose bluetooth speaker.  (Yes, I like to rock out with some music while playing with my toys.)

Can u tell me what panels u have?
2023-4-8
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_ezNqvabS16lC Posted at 4-8 17:35
Can u tell me what panels u have?

Yes, got the entire kit from Jackery.  Love it.  I have had that setup for about  a year now, and many weekends I don't even take the panels, just the generator and charge from the battery to keep flying all day.
2023-4-8
Use props
Thibaud Rebour
lvl.1

France

Did you succeed with your installation ?
2023-10-1
Use props
willard1114
lvl.1

United States

Yes, I was able to charge all my devices using the USB-C fast charging port.   I ended up purchasing the DJI Mavic 3 Pro drone, DJI Osmo Action 4 camera, and the DJI Mic 2.  I  also was able to charge the DJI Intelligent Flight Batteries using the 100W charging hub and the Extreme Batteries using the Multifunctional Battery Case.

Charging times under sunny conditions were just as fast as charging from a wall socket.  If the sun dims, the the charging times may sometimes take longer, but in most cases it was just as fast as a wall outlet.  The time to charge seems to be dependent on the current that the solar panel can provide at any given time and the current that is required to charge a battery.   The batteries current charging needs seem to fluctuate considerable and in most cases it is much smaller than what a 65w or 100W is charger is cable of producing. Current reductions from the solar panel did not appear to have any detrimental effects on the batteries or charging equipment.

I did modify the solar panel.  I replaced the heavy metal stands that came with the solar panel and replaced them with two modifies tent poles. The tent poles were much lighter and did a much better job of keeping the panel stretch tight and flat than the metal stands. You can adjust the angle of the panel to the sun by adjusting the intersection of the tent poles.

I have attached some pics from the document I wrote about using solar equipment.

Hope this helps, Stephen

4-23 11:03
Use props
willard1114
lvl.1

United States

Thibaud Rebour Posted at 2023-10-1 06:13
Did you succeed with your installation ?

They do not make the one I have anymore.   The one I have is fabric based and folds up into a nice small package,  In any case, you want to make sure the it support a USB-c PD 65W fast charging port.
4-23 13:08
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules