Mimo app requirement
12867 32 2023-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hello2023
New

Canada

I understand that the Mimo App is required on your phone to register the Osmo Action 3. After registration can you delete the app and continue to use the camera?
2023-1-22
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can but you will need to re install it for future updates.
2023-1-22
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

just keep the app and request not to track you.
2023-1-22
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. It is required that you download the DJI Mimo app on your mobile device for the first time when you set up and activate your DJI Osmo Action 3. Yes, you may use the product without the app however, we highly recommend keeping the app on your mobile device for future uses like firmware updates and other features that you want to use with the DJI Mimo app. Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you.
2023-1-22
Use props
hello2023
New

Canada

DJI Paladin Posted at 1-22 19:22
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. It is required that you download the DJI Mimo app on your mobile device for the first time when you set up and activate your DJI Osmo Action 3. Yes, you may use the product without the app however, we highly recommend keeping the app on your mobile device for future uses like firmware updates and other features that you want to use with the DJI Mimo app. Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you.

Thanks for the quick response. Feedback for your product development team, I’m no longer willing to provide any personal data to large corporations that take no responsibility for protecting that data and are inevitably hacked. I think I’ll be looking elsewhere.
2023-1-22
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hello2023 Posted at 1-22 19:30
Thanks for the quick response. Feedback for your product development team, I’m no longer willing to provide any personal data to large corporations that take no responsibility for protecting that data and are inevitably hacked. I think I’ll be looking elsewhere.

I don’t understand why we can’t just download updates and place them in the root of the card, bypassing the app.

It seems to cause so many people problems anyway.
2023-1-22
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

We appreciate your response and we totally understand your concern. Should you have any other inquiries or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you and have a great day ahead.
2023-1-23
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

I agree why I  tend to lean to a gopro now.
2023-1-23
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 1-23 03:47
I agree why I  tend to lean to a gopro now.

The GoPro does exactly that, Fish. I don’t use their app. I just download it and put it onto the card. Having to use the app causes the same issue every time for anyone using a phone that doesn’t work properly with the app. I dread using it every time with a Samsung phone!!
2023-1-23
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I find it strange that people with such concerns about apps etc come on public/private forums use social media etc and expect their data to be private.
Although I’m sure many underhanded Stuff goes on with peoples data places like Europe have put in some guarantees for its citizens that give them a certain amount of control over their own data, something your time might be better spent at is tackling your government’s who have the power to halt much of the deceit and nonsense that goes on.

I know some years ago DJI had problems with hackers but they seem to have tighten up on this and I would think you are at no more risk signing into their apps  than any other similar apps.

I’m afraid we’ve all sold our souls to the Devil and its difficult to see how we can reverse this in any way.
2023-1-23
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Iancraig10 Posted at 1-22 23:42
I don’t understand why we can’t just download updates and place them in the root of the card, bypassing the app.

It seems to cause so many people problems anyway.

Unbelievable as it may seem, but there are people who would have difficulty downloading something from the internet, finding the item they have downloaded, and place it in a certain location on a memory card. I assume DJI wanted to create a more seamless experience.
2023-1-23
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

osmonauta Posted at 1-23 06:01
Unbelievable as it may seem, but there are people who would have difficulty downloading something from the internet, finding the item they have downloaded, and place it in a certain location on a memory card. I assume DJI wanted to create a more seamless experience.

Yes, I agree. They are trying to make it easy for those people.

It would just be nice to have the choice. Especially as it is flaky with some phones.

For beginners, it must also be quite disconcerting that the app isn’t available via the more ‘normal’ routes. Your phone also warns you about installing it. Not great for ‘beginners’ with technology that prompts the warning that the Mimo app generates. Also, what do beginners do when the phone doesn't work with it? I found it impossible on my phone.

I'd love to know why it's not available via these more 'normal' routes.

2023-1-23
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

It is first of all because xyz firmware is not the same all over the world for various reasons and somehow geopolitically we download intercontinental different modified fw, even if it has the same label. And that's exactly what the application takes care of, which knows exactly where you are and what version of fw should go into your unit. As mentioned, nowadays all you have to do is have a mobile phone and you can forget about privacy.

A little off topic, it's not even a week since total commander 3.41 was updated on my android phone, which due to google's request can no longer serve as an installer for android apk.....why? So that we can't install telegram from an unmodified apk??? Why all wifi analyzer apk must have location enabled on the phone to work?..... Privacy no longer exists. I'm not happy about it.
2023-1-23
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Google knows more about us than DJI and other Chinese companies will ever know.

Since Google doesn't allow DJI MIMO and DJI Fly and a bunch of other software, is because they need permisson that can be abused.
With iPhone and ios the user have NO CONTROL over what apps have access to since you have to accept like everything.

So then play store or what it's called for iPhone can't control what DJI apps do, and have to trust them.

On my phone, DJI MIMO have only access to Storage and Position, and I have blocked Camera, Contacts and Mic.  So China can listen to you guys that use iPhone and watch when you sit on toilet
2023-1-23
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

You  wanted  a smartphone, you got it, it an Advertismeent phone, all that spam you get, the days of the old rotary are gone, the days a sales person rings your doorbell gone. now its  the action camera wanting to know where you bee,  my suggestion is why be on the net.   share or do not share. funny thing is I shared and  like it
2023-1-23
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

All the same, it would be nice to have the choice not to have to install Mimo. At the moment, there is no choice at all.
2023-1-23
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

do I need a creditcard to  download apps
2023-1-23
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

johansenfoto Posted at 1-23 06:28
Google knows more about us than DJI and other Chinese companies will ever know.

Since Google doesn't allow DJI MIMO and DJI Fly and a bunch of other software, is because they need permisson that can be abused.

"So then play store or what it's called for iPhone can't control what DJI apps do, and have to trust them."
That's actually not true.

If you are really paranoid, you can install the app on a decomissioned, fully reset phone. Most people have phones that are not being used any more. You can even install it on an iTouch (which is not a phone). You can reset any device that you are not using, remove the SIM (if it's a phone), and they can spy on an empty device as much as they want.

2023-1-23
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Fishycomics Posted at 1-23 07:44
You  wanted  a smartphone, you got it, it an Advertismeent phone, all that spam you get, the days of the old rotary are gone, the days a sales person rings your doorbell gone. now its  the action camera wanting to know where you bee,  my suggestion is why be on the net.   share or do not share. funny thing is I shared and  like it

"the days of the old rotary are gone"

https://gizmodo.com/diy-rotary-cell-phone-kit-with-e-paper-oled-displays-1848843721
2023-1-23
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think for most, it’s the app not working correctly with their phone.

2023-1-23
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

osmonauta Posted at 1-23 10:42
"So then play store or what it's called for iPhone can't control what DJI apps do, and have to trust them."
That's actually not true.

Haha that's true.
If people are too afraid, then they should not be connected to internet and also live off grid
2023-1-23
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

I worry more o nthe drone side then the camera side if asked. did hte people get confused thinking DJI just did it all
2023-1-23
Use props
djiuser_m1YV7QDvo0sG
New
United States

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. It is required that you download the DJI Mimo app on your mobile device for the first time when you set up and activate your DJI Osmo Action 3. Yes, you may use the product without the app however, we highly recommend keeping the app on your mobile device for future uses like firmware updates and other features that you want to use with the DJI Mimo app. Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you.

How to update firmware on Mimo 5? Have the app and pixel 7 pro
2023-1-30
Use props
djiuser_m1YV7QDvo0sG
New
United States

How to update firmware on Mimo 5? Have the app and pixel 7 pro
2023-1-30
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

djiuser_m1YV7QDvo0sG Posted at 1-30 15:33
How to update firmware on Mimo 5? Have the app and pixel 7 pro

You may download the DJI Mimo app on your mobile device to update the firmware, please note that it requires a stable internet connection to download firmware. Hope this helps. Thank you.
2023-2-2
Use props
Dan Fossatti
New

United States

Is my galaxy j7 too old for the mimo app? I did not realize you would need an app to operate a seperate device. Thats nice and inconvenient. And fucked. Now I'm stuck with your great camera that I cant use. I knew there would be some feeble bull... preventing smooth operation of your ...ty product. I will be sending this back. Saving a bit more and buying a Sony. No charger plug in as well. You guys couldn't pull the trigger on a $2 production piece? Your apps are just for selling ... anyway. Non functional. Thanks.
2023-8-22
Use props
maximkosheev
New

Russia

Dan Fossatti Posted at 8-22 19:14
Is my galaxy j7 too old for the mimo app? I did not realize you would need an app to operate a seperate device. Thats nice and inconvenient. And fucked. Now I'm stuck with your great camera that I cant use. I knew there would be some feeble bull... preventing smooth operation of your ...ty product. I will be sending this back. Saving a bit more and buying a Sony. No charger plug in as well. You guys couldn't pull the trigger on a $2 production piece? Your apps are just for selling ... anyway. Non functional. Thanks.

I have exactly the same problem. I bought a camera yesterday. It was a very long-awaited purchase that I had been waiting for more than a month. And what was my indescribable frustration that I can't use the camera until I activate it through an application that I can't install on my samsung j7. As a result, I got a useless piece of plastic!!!! Why are there no other activation methods more accessible to most people?
2023-8-22
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

maximkosheev Posted at 8-22 20:28
I have exactly the same problem. I bought a camera yesterday. It was a very long-awaited purchase that I had been waiting for more than a month. And what was my indescribable frustration that I can't use the camera until I activate it through an application that I can't install on my samsung j7. As a result, I got a useless piece of plastic!!!! Why are there no other activation methods more accessible to most people?

Hello there. Sorry for the inconvenience. The Mimo app requires Android version 8.0 or above. We suggest using a different phone preferably those ones on the list of compatible devices since those devices are guaranteed to work as they were optimized. Other phones may work but the reliability is not assured. We appreciate your patience and understanding. Have a great day ahead.
2023-8-23
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

We used to simply put in the  file to update, so really no need for Wifi and apps  can cut the cost down on cameras if you want less features.
2023-8-23
Use props
pnjf1410
lvl.2
Panama

I'm on the point of buying an Action 3. If I register it with my current phone, what happens when I buy a new phone but still want to install firmware updates?
2-17 11:22
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

pnjf1410 Posted at 2-17 11:22
I'm on the point of buying an Action 3. If I register it with my current phone, what happens when I buy a new phone but still want to install firmware updates?

Hi there. You can still use it if you replace your phone. You just need to download the Mimo app and log in again. You can download it on the DJI official website at https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/dji-mimo. Have a nice day.
2-17 21:27
Use props
djiuser_QyMKSAJxta4z
New

United States

This makes no sense for me to pay all this money for a Pocket 3 and I can't even use it because of a app that doesn't work. I wish I knew DJI had these problems before I spent all that money...Now I have to return my Pocket 3 because it was Bricked by a App..feels like a scam because there so quite about it you only get automated robot responses
2-29 20:24
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

djiuser_QyMKSAJxta4z Posted at 2-29 20:24
This makes no sense for me to pay all this money for a Pocket 3 and I can't even use it because of a app that doesn't work. I wish I knew DJI had these problems before I spent all that money...Now I have to return my Pocket 3 because it was Bricked by a App..feels like a scam because there so quite about it you only get automated robot responses

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're deeply sorry if you are having issues with the application on your end. Please confirm what specific mobile device are you using and please attach a short video showing the issue so we can assist you further. We will wait for your response. Thank you for your understanding.
3-1 20:47
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules