DJI RC-N1 vs DJ RC
16669 29 2023-2-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NewCasualPilot
lvl.1

United States

I know the physical difference BUT from a user persepective what are the true functional differences
Given that the RC-N1 uses an Android device that can support 3rd party products, it almost seems that it is functionally better than the RC.

Since there are things that I can do with the RC-N1 that I can't with the RC, what can I do with the RC that I cannot do with the RC-N1

I don't want to spend $1,100 on the RC Pro either...

2023-2-14
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Once the SDK comes out (if...) it'll give the N1 an advantage with 3rd party apps for control, mapping, photogrammetry etc.

The RC has a better screen than most mobile devices for use in daylight, its also far quicker and neater to set up and get going.

Its got extra customisation buttons that can be handy but aren't exactly vital.

There is always a risk DJI will suddenly dump the RC from future drones just as it did with Smart Controller v1 leaving you with an expensive paperweight.  The N1 is a lot cheaper if it becomes obsolete.
2023-2-14
Use props
Element115
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5693497 ft
United States

N1 has better range from my experience.
2023-2-14
Use props
NewCasualPilot
lvl.1

United States

gnirtS Posted at 2-14 15:04
Once the SDK comes out (if...) it'll give the N1 an advantage with 3rd party apps for control, mapping, photogrammetry etc.

The RC has a better screen than most mobile devices for use in daylight, its also far quicker and neater to set up and get going.

Yikes was not aware DJI did that... good to know.   Frankly with all the new regulations, especially in Calif where I live, I am stating to feel like the drone itself could become a paper weight
2023-2-14
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Element115 Posted at 2-14 15:12

I have not seen this myself and i have done extensive testing between the 2 and back to back, if anything, I found the DJI RC to have the edge, but only a couple of meters and that could have been down to anything.
2023-2-14
Use props
Mastoras
lvl.4
Flight distance : 558517 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sdk on mini 3 kinda pointless if rc doesnt open up 3rd party apps, since that's what majority people usually buy it with. Someone in that gargantuan DJI company surely sees this...
2023-2-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The DJI RC has better range and is far more convenient that messing with hooking up a phone each time.
2023-2-15
Use props
Element115
Second Officer
United States

Bashy Posted at 2-14 19:24
I have not seen this myself and i have done extensive testing between the 2 and back to back, if anything, I found the DJI RC to have the edge, but only a couple of meters and that could have been down to anything.

This has been my experience:   and
2023-2-15
Use props
PixelPro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1205715 ft
United States

I would go with the DJI RC.
2023-2-15
Use props
PixelPro
Second Officer
United States

Element115 Posted at 2-14 15:12

mine too. DJI RC has a slightly less signal strength
2023-2-15
Use props
Element115
Second Officer
United States

PixelPro Posted at 2-15 13:34
mine too. DJI RC has a slightly less signal strength

Yup, not only does N1 have better range, the N1 supports many more drones than the RC so it is a better buy anyway you look at it.  The only reason to get RC instead of N1 is if you don't have a compatible phone to use with the N1.
2023-2-15
Use props
PixelPro
Second Officer
United States

Element115 Posted at 2-15 13:56
Yup, not only does N1 have better range, the N1 supports many more drones than the RC so it is a better buy anyway you look at it.  The only reason to get RC instead of N1 is if you don't have a compatible phone to use with the N1.

...and not having to use the phone.
2023-2-15
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

Yup, not only does N1 have better range, the N1 supports many more drones than the RC so it is a better buy anyway you look at it.  The only reason to get RC instead of N1 is if you don't have a compatible phone to use with the N1.

RC supports all new drones and some previous ones.
I have some doubts that a person, buying a new modern drone, will also need to buy an old drone.
2023-2-15
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Element115 Posted at 2-15 09:39
This has been my experience:  https://youtu.be/K2zFG8ef18E and https://youtu.be/zDFHaEl9vVc

1st video, there was hardly anything in it, second video there was only about 200m in it, which is not conclusive, just the alignment alone can be enough to swing it and for the DJI RC, the alignment has to be 100% spot on.

As for my own experience, I have only seen the same results as the 1st video but it can swing either way, this tells me that just the alignment itself can be enough to swing it one way or the other.

btw, a hundred videos wouldn't convince me, not when i have extensively tested this myself, so you guys can accept the videos by all means and miss out on the experience of the DJI RC, but for me, i would and will choose the DJI RC over the N1 every time until the time comes when they finally release the SDK and I need to use a 3rd party app (very, very rare for me).

2023-2-15
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This seems a bit redundant being in the Mini 3 Pro section, why would you want to use an older drone, e.g. mini 2?

I would like to see your test results with the DJI RC?

My max with the DJI RC so far and in CE mode is 5.5km and that was only at 31m high, surely you cannot knock that. Guess what, the N1 was also the same, both on the exact same flight path and back to back flights. I have also had bad days using both RC's but the worst bad day was only 3.3km with the DJI RC.

My max in FCC was only 7km, but that was in a breeze strong breeze and i had to return because it was only the 3rd flight with the plus battery and it was down to about 50%, that too was at only 30m but only using the DJI RC, i still have testing to do, just not ben able to get out there recently.
2023-2-15
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Thank you for your attention toward DJI products. DJI RC was rolled out to reduce consumer costs on the basis of DJI RC-N1’s control with mobile phones. With DJI RC, users can fly their aircraft immediately after powering on, without connecting it to a mobile device and debugging. In addition, the product design is more simplified in terms of systems, ports, and buttons, but without compromising its control experience.  Thank you for choosing DJI!
2023-2-15
Use props
Element115
Second Officer
United States

Bashy Posted at 2-15 19:14
1st video, there was hardly anything in it, second video there was only about 200m in it, which is not conclusive, just the alignment alone can be enough to swing it and for the DJI RC, the alignment has to be 100% spot on.

As for my own experience, I have only seen the same results as the 1st video but it can swing either way, this tells me that just the alignment itself can be enough to swing it one way or the other.

It isn't uncommon for these products from DJI to perform unequally due to tolerances during manufacturing and subtle differences in RF calibration.  I'm just telling you my experience.  Your mileage may vary.  Agree alignment is tantamount in range tests.  Also, whenever antennas are near metal parts, it will affect the radiation pattern and given N1 has a telescoping antenna and it is away from the main body of the RC, it could give it the edge especially when you are using a plastic adapter holder to hold a larger device like a tablet such that no metal objects are near the antenna.  Oh, that reminds me of another advantage of the N1.  You can use your large tablets which makes a huge difference when trying to make out details while flying.
2023-2-15
Use props
Element115
Second Officer
United States

Bashy Posted at 2-15 19:26
This seems a bit redundant being in the Mini 3 Pro section, why would you want to use an older drone, e.g. mini 2?

I would like to see your test results with the DJI RC?

I still use my cheaper Mini 2 to explore risky areas I wouldn't risk with my more expensive M3Pro.
2023-2-16
Use props
cmarines
lvl.4
Flight distance : 331762 ft
Canada

With N1 you can share the image to other display, used on FPV, see my link below
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=281919
2023-2-16
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Element115 Posted at 2-16 08:42
I still use my cheaper Mini 2 to explore risky areas I wouldn't risk with my more expensive M3Pro.

The Mini 3 Pro has the sensors, so by definition, there's less risk.

You may want to get in touch with DJI as your Mini 3 Pro isn't showing under your name...
2023-2-16
Use props
Element115
Second Officer
United States

Bashy Posted at 2-16 17:25

You may want to get in touch with DJI as your Mini 3 Pro isn't showing under your name...

Negative.  Having APAS turned on doesn't allow me to fly in tight/risky spaces and gaps.  I use my cheap Mini 2 for that.  So for me, having 1 remote to control it all is a plus for the N1.

PS- Thanks for the concern but my M3Pro is deregistered at the moment.
2023-2-16
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Element115 Posted at 2-16 20:11
Negative.  Having APAS turned on doesn't allow me to fly in tight/risky spaces and gaps.  I use my cheap Mini 2 for that.  So for me, having 1 remote to control it all is a plus for the N1.

Would love to see some of your tight footage, i dare not having come unstuck that one time with my P4P under a very low ditch bridge, its more of a slab of concrete for tractor's mind...

So is my Mini 2 but its still showing, i don't even own it any more :/
2023-2-16
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

Element115 Posted at 2-16 20:11
Negative.  Having APAS turned on doesn't allow me to fly in tight/risky spaces and gaps.  I use my cheap Mini 2 for that.  So for me, having 1 remote to control it all is a plus for the N1.

And what prevents you from turning off the sensors at the right moments?
2023-2-17
Use props
Element115
Second Officer
United States

Drone.Hunter Posted at 2-17 04:51
And what prevents you from turning off the sensors at the right moments?

The risk of losing M3Pro
2023-2-17
Use props
Beta5K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196880 ft
United States

NewCasualPilot Posted at 2-14 15:56
Yikes was not aware DJI did that... good to know.   Frankly with all the new regulations, especially in Calif where I live, I am stating to feel like the drone itself could become a paper weight

What California specific regulations are you referring to?
2023-2-22
Use props
Drone Junkie RC
First Officer
Flight distance : 1015679 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Very light weight and balanced , separate tilt and zoom wheels , and amazing range. The 1st gen smart controller was unstable and expensive. So lucky I sold it when I did.
2023-3-1
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
United States

Bashy Posted at 2-14 19:24
I have not seen this myself and i have done extensive testing between the 2 and back to back, if anything, I found the DJI RC to have the edge, but only a couple of meters and that could have been down to anything.

Did you test them both in Urban heavy populated environment?
2023-3-2
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
France

Ranjan Posted at 3-2 06:39
Did you test them both in Urban heavy populated environment?

Urban yes, heavy urban no, i cant see myself ever flying in towns or cities.
I even found the RC Pro to be far worse than both in rural but a fair bit better urban.
2023-3-2
Use props
djiuser_bM7b9kMdgM7w
lvl.1
France

I own 2 Mavic 3 Classic drones both with RC N1 and DJI RC.

Range and stability with the DJI RC is clearly inferior !

The DJI RC ruined my holidays in Corfu basically. Less than 1600m range even above the sea ! The live view was constantly stuttering even at close distance. The smallest obstacle would block the signal and trigger RTH. Forced to 2.4GHz did not help or degrade the range...

Back to France, I tested BOTH drones with BOTH remotes in a low populated area.

Under the same conditions, I get exactly the same range from both aircrafts, so the DJI RC is clearly at fault !

I get :
2600m with the DJI RC, very bad stability and unpredictable disconnects
3950m with the DJI RC N1, with progressive signal loss (see screenshot)

Under the same conditions, I get over 5600m range from my Mavic 2 Pro !

Those remotes with internal antennas are clearly a step back... While the RC N1 is reasonably usable, the DJI RC ruins every shot with RTH kicking in all the time.
2023-3-23
Use props
fans41f3bf47
New

United States

Bashy Posted at 2023-2-16 17:25

Damn. Shots fired!
4-26 20:33
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules