Focus Motor Not Powering Up
6860 15 2023-3-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Air Marmot
lvl.1
United States

Hi all!  I went to plug my focus motor into the roll arm's middle port, but I get nothing from the motor.  No lights... nothing.  I get a red light when plugging it into the top port, but again, nothing from the middle.  Everything I can find about troubleshooting this thing has to do with what color light is present, and what its behavior is. I checked as well: The wheel is set to focus motor.
Hoping someone has an idea as to what might be wrong.

Cheers!

2023-3-20
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. Please tell us which is your camera and lens. Also, the light indicator is solid red or blinking red?
2023-3-20
Use props
Air Marmot
lvl.1
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 3-20 23:03
Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. Please tell us which is your camera and lens. Also, the light indicator is solid red or blinking red?

Hello.  It doesn't matter what camera or lens I'm using.  The motor won't power up, which is an independent problem.  Regarding your question about the lights, please see my original post.  I already covered it there. Did you read it?
2023-3-21
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Air Marmot Posted at 3-21 07:57
Hello.  It doesn't matter what camera or lens I'm using.  The motor won't power up, which is an independent problem.  Regarding your question about the lights, please see my original post.  I already covered it there. Did you read it?

Sorry for my misunderstanding. I thought you said the red light came out after changing a port.

Would you please check the picture and see whether the setup was correct?
If not, would you please record a video for us?
I will escalate the issue to our engineers.
2023-3-22
Use props
Air Marmot
lvl.1
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 3-22 05:47
Sorry for my misunderstanding. I thought you said the red light came out after changing a port.
[view_image]

Hi Wanda, thank you for the setup diagram.  After watching several YouTube videos on how to set up the motor, and consulting the diagram, I can confirm that the motor is properly connected to the gimbal.

I've recorded a small video for your reference.

https://youtu.be/HICwzt-3ejM
2023-3-22
Use props
ValleyForge
lvl.3
Flight distance : 24754 ft
Australia

Does the same thing happen when you plug a USB power source into the focus motor?
Also the Focus Motor and the gimbal need matching firmware - best done separately via cables and DJI Assistant.
2023-3-23
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Air Marmot Posted at 3-22 12:29
Hi Wanda, thank you for the setup diagram.  After watching several YouTube videos on how to set up the motor, and consulting the diagram, I can confirm that the motor is properly connected to the gimbal.

I've recorded a small video for your reference.

Sorry for the late response. Would you please perform the troubleshooting steps below?
1. Change a new USB-C control cable
2. Connect the Focus Motor to the third port (the bottom one).
According to the result,
1. if the indicator light does not light up, it might be the port of the gimbal or the focus motor is malfunctioned.
2. If possible, test with a second focus motor.
A. If the other focus motos work properly, please send back the gimbal,
B, if not, send back the focus motor only,

Link to submit the online repair request: https://repair.dji.com/us/repair/index
2023-3-23
Use props
Air Marmot
lvl.1
United States

So, when your instructions say "use original cable" it really means it.  All other companies say this to TRY to get you to buy their products instead of any other manufacturer's parts.  You guys have actually put some kind of ridiculous OEM protocol in your cables where we HAVE to use your cables.  Just stupid and annoying.
2023-3-25
Use props
SimonCardoso
New

Portugal

DJI Wanda Posted at 3-22 05:47
[view_image]

This diagram sucks.... its just a bunch of arrows... no written instructions...  and how stupid is it that the focus motor and the gimbal need their own separate firmware..  and how the hell do we even update the focus motor's firmware if it doesn't connect to the gimbal? Bluetooth? with the app? its just overly complicated to be complicated ... and this story that the wire needs to be the original and no other types work... is ridiculous.. I'm 33 and I find this already too crazy... can't picture people in older generations figuring this out.. really is the world of the young
2023-5-22
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Air Marmot Posted at 3-25 09:04
So, when your instructions say "use original cable" it really means it.  All other companies say this to TRY to get you to buy their products instead of any other manufacturer's parts.  You guys have actually put some kind of ridiculous OEM protocol in your cables where we HAVE to use your cables.  Just stupid and annoying.

We are sorry for the inconvenience. May we know if changing the control cable resolved your issue?
2023-5-24
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

SimonCardoso Posted at 5-22 09:31
This diagram sucks.... its just a bunch of arrows... no written instructions...  and how stupid is it that the focus motor and the gimbal need their own separate firmware..  and how the hell do we even update the focus motor's firmware if it doesn't connect to the gimbal? Bluetooth? with the app? its just overly complicated to be complicated ... and this story that the wire needs to be the original and no other types work... is ridiculous.. I'm 33 and I find this already too crazy... can't picture people in older generations figuring this out.. really is the world of the young

We are sorry for the inconvenience. You may refer to the steps below and the diagram to see if you can understand:
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... uct_Information.pdf
How do I install and calibrate the follow focus motor (2022) on DJI RS 3 or RS 3 Pro?
1. Attach the rod mount onto the side panel of the upper quick-release plate, and tighten the screws with a wrench.
2. Unlock the rod mount, attach the rod to the rod mount, and lock it.
When using a long camera lens, mount the rod mount onto the lower quick-release plate, attach the rod, and secure it with a screw.
Note: For DJI RS 3 and RS 3 Combo users, the rod mount should be purchased separately.
3. Fit the Focus Motor (2022) in the rod, and then tighten the knob to avoid displacement.
4. Connect the Focus Motor (2022) to the focus motor port on the gimbal using a USB-C cable.
Calibrating the focus motor:
Scroll down the touchscreen, and enter “Settings” > “Focus Motor Endpoints” > “Focus Motor Cali”or “Manual Endpoints”. Tap “Focus Motor Cali” to start calibrating.

Note:
For manual lenses without mechanical limits, manually stop the focus motor to complete calibration, or use such lenses after disabling the mechanical limit of the focus motor.

After you install the focus motor correctly, you can open the DJI Ronin App and there will be a notification to let you upgrade the firmware.
2023-5-24
Use props
Hervé Couche
New

France

Air Marmot Posted at 3-21 07:57
Bonjour, j'ai le même problème avec le moteur focus 2022 et le dji rs3, (la led rouge ou verte ne s'allume pas sur le moteur, donc aucune connection avec le dji rs 3) avez vous trouvé la solution? Merci de votre reponse
2023-10-25
Use props
djiuser_PHXb9XOzNYg6
New

United States

Air Marmot Posted at 3-25 09:04

Do you have to use dji usb c cables
2023-11-20
Use props
djiuser_OyXohLEz3uje
New
Flight distance : 232579 ft
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 3-20 23:03

I have a solid red light and cannot control my lens zoom with the focus motor. What does this mean?  I can calibrate the focus motor but cannot use the wheel to control the focus.
2023-12-2
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

djiuser_OyXohLEz3uje Posted at 12-2 13:46
I have a solid red light and cannot control my lens zoom with the focus motor. What does this mean?  I can calibrate the focus motor but cannot use the wheel to control the focus.

Hello, there. May we know if you use focus motos with DJI RS 3/RS 3 Pro?
If so, please follow the troubleshooting steps below:
1. Check whether the cable connecting the focus motor and gimbal is attached correctly.
*try connecting another port on the focus motor to the gimbal for testing.

2. Perform focus motor calibration again.

3. The red light is always on when the wheel function is not set to focus motor. In this case, set the wheel function to focus motor.
2023-12-3
Use props
Vladislav Tyo
lvl.1

Russia

Hello DJI support! I wanted to connect the focus motor to the middle port of the swing arm, but I'm not getting anything from the motor. No light... nothing. I get a red light on motor when connected to the top port, when connected to the bottom port the motor works in conjunction with the Lidar Range Finder connected to the motor, but again, nothing from the middle. Everything I can find about troubleshooting this thing has to do with what color of light is present and what its behavior is. I also checked that the wheel is set to the focus motor callibrate OK. I hope you have competence on this issue and can help me. I will immediately notify you that I do not have the opportunity to send goods outside of Russia. Cheers!
1-20 13:58
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules