DJI Osmo Action 3 adapter for External Mic
9786 36 2023-3-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
switzerorider
lvl.1
Switzerland

Hello,

I've spent a good amount of time and money on testing various adapter srecommended by Youtubers and NONE of them work on my action 3:

- Apple USB-C to mini jack
- Saramonic SR-C2007
- BOYA BY-K6 (also ordered the K7)
- UGREEN USB-C Jack adapter

I also plugged different TRS  mics: Sony, RODE, Sennheiser but that didn't help

My action 3 came with the latest firmwares, I tried to reset it to factory defaults, etc.. still can' get an external mic to work.

Do you think my action 3 has a problem?
2023-3-29
Use props
Rocktheasphalt
Second Officer
Switzerland

The Apple USB-C to mini jack and - UGREEN USB-C Jack adapter are TRRS adapters and wont work with a TRS mic, the Saramonic SR-C2007 is specific to osmo action 1 and the BOYA BY-K6  is for Osmo Pocket... The BOYA BY-K7 will also not work it is specific to Osmo Action 1.
Add this to the Apple or UGREEN adapter and it should work perfectly https://www.amazon.de/Rode-TRS-T ... Cmi%2C81&sr=1-2
2023-3-29
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. If you want to plug in an external mic on your DJI Action 3, please follow the methods below.

Connection Method:
DJI Action 2 (USB-C female jack) → Audio adapter cable (male plug) → Audio adapter cable (3.5mm female jack) → Microphone (3.5mm male plug)
Accessory requirements:
1. USB-C to 3.5mm female jack (TRRS);
2. Support 48K/16 bits digital types:
Recommended Accessories (Tested)
1. Philips: Philips microphone and headphone two-in-one audio cable
2. Boya BY-K9

Please let us know after the result of the test. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-3-29
Use props
DJ DJ
lvl.4
Germany

DJI Paladin Posted at 3-29 16:33
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. If you want to plug in an external mic on your DJI Action 3, please follow the methods below.

Connection Method:

Why do you recommend TRRS adapters? They are prone to erros because of the various different layouts out there.
I use one with a Mic that had its own TRRS to TRS cable, but it's pure luck that I have the correct pin layout in both, adapter and cable.
2023-3-29
Use props
switzerorider
lvl.1
Switzerland

Rocktheasphalt Posted at 3-29 13:58
The Apple USB-C to mini jack and - UGREEN USB-C Jack adapter are TRRS adapters and wont work with a TRS mic, the Saramonic SR-C2007 is specific to osmo action 1 and the BOYA BY-K6  is for Osmo Pocket... The BOYA BY-K7 will also not work it is specific to Osmo Action 1.
Add this to the Apple or UGREEN adapter and it should work perfectly https://www.amazon.de/Rode-TRS-TRRS-Adapter-Stecker-schwarz/dp/B00L6C8PN0/ref=sr_1_2?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&crid=1EP7V6E8H4702&keywords=rode+sc4&qid=1680127801&s=musical-instruments&sprefix=rode+sc+4%2Cmi%2C81&sr=1-2

EDIT: it worked for both the Apple and Ugreen adapter as soon as I used the RODE trrs to trs adapter cable
2023-3-29
Use props
switzerorider
lvl.1
Switzerland

DJI Paladin Posted at 3-29 16:33
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. If you want to plug in an external mic on your DJI Action 3, please follow the methods below.

Connection Method:

my mic is TRS and I can't change that, that means I need a TRS to TRRS adapter with your example.
Then you mention a spec that is not possible to check: 48k  16 bits...
Your mic setup is really a mess compared to Insta360
2023-3-29
Use props
Rocktheasphalt
Second Officer
Switzerland

DJ DJ Posted at 3-29 20:29
Why do you recommend TRRS adapters? They are prone to erros because of the various different layouts out there.
I use one with a Mic that had its own TRRS to TRS cable, but it's pure luck that I have the correct pin layout in both, adapter and cable.

There are only two options. And you can fix it with something like this.

2023-3-29
Use props
Rocktheasphalt
Second Officer
Switzerland

switzerorider Posted at 3-29 23:48
that didn't work, for both the Apple and Ugreen adapter

What microphones have you tried? And more importantly, does a microphone icon appear when you plug in the adapters?
2023-3-30
Use props
switzerorider
lvl.1
Switzerland

Rocktheasphalt Posted at 3-30 00:15
What microphones have you tried? And more importantly, does a microphone icon appear when you plug in the adapters?

Hi,
For the mics I've tried:
Sennheiser MKE 200
RØDE VideoMicro
Sony ECM-LV1
Sena 50S/30K/20S Evo, gooseneck microphone => which is the one I need to use

The mic Icon NEVER appears, that's why I'm asking for help.
2023-3-30
Use props
Rocktheasphalt
Second Officer
Switzerland

switzerorider Posted at 3-30 00:21
Hi,
For the mics I've tried:
Sennheiser MKE 200

If you have the Rode Videomicro and the Apple USB-C to Headphone Jack then you should be able to make it work. This works for me. If the icon does not appear, there is probably something wrong with the adapter.

2023-3-30
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

chinese usbc to male trs worked
only one cable
IMG_20230319_033331.jpg
2023-3-30
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

samsung usbc to trrs female with trrs/trs cable worked

IMG_20230330_111441.jpg
2023-3-30
Use props
switzerorider
lvl.1
Switzerland

EDIT : I managed to have it working using the USB-C to TRRS adapters, I just noticed that it can be unstable when using a Zoom F2 between the Mic and the Action 3
2023-3-30
Use props
switzerorider
lvl.1
Switzerland

lutzmix Posted at 3-30 01:05
chinese usbc to male trs worked
only one cable

I want this cable, where did you buy it? :-)
2023-3-30
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

aliexopress or by boya k2

Screenshot_2023-03-30-12-18-00-253_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg
2023-3-30
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

I should order from them but their return policy sucks  , personal experience
2023-3-30
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

Fishycomics Posted at 3-30 05:22
I should order from them but their return policy sucks  , personal experience

I live in EU
2023-3-30
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

like I said I ordred from them and hte return policy  sucks, that means  careful which seller you buy from does not  do with where you live.  (Grin)
2023-3-30
Use props
DJ DJ
lvl.4
Germany

Rocktheasphalt Posted at 3-29 23:54
There are only two options. And you can fix it with something like this.

[view_image]

Yes, but it makes no sense to fix the wrong adapter with another adapter when I could get the right adapter for about the same price.
2023-3-31
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

DJI made the camera and gave  the usb type C and that is where they leave all the options for all, they feel they have more adapter in hand then sold.  and   look at the CYNOVA left behind while the actual camera is no more in production, just people buying and are they buying cynova adapters..  3rd party is not making any now its 6 months in an d ZIPPO
2023-3-31
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

I use one with a Mic that had its own TRRS to TRS cable, but it's pure luck that I have the correct pin layout in both, adapter and cable.

Hi, DJ. Thank you for your response. All the recommended accessories are well-tested on our facility and it has been proven to work on our end. If you have other inquiries about your product, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you.
2023-3-31
Use props
DJ DJ
lvl.4
Germany

DJI Paladin Posted at 3-31 02:47
Hi, DJ. Thank you for your response. All the recommended accessories are well-tested on our facility and it has been proven to work on our end. If you have other inquiries about your product, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you.

As long as you don't recommend a specific combination - with product codes - the recommendation is worthless. It would not have been the first recommendation that resulted in unnecessarily wasted money.
So - the next time, you better ask for the specific usecase of the thread opener. If he used your recommended adapter on a trs microphone, he possibly has a trash audio signal...
2023-3-31
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

and what did I do, I ordered a product from alxepress it was  way cheaper then getting off Ebay, if it fails to work oh well, only some funds wasted
2023-4-2
Use props
hurtighansen1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26296 ft
Denmark

Apple usb c is trrs. So ? lol Maybe having to much money and don't understand how it works can be a problem.
But, if you plug in boya-k4 it will give you mic icon. If not. oa3 or k4 is not working.
K4 need pro setting, gain -15
usb c trrs system work on normal, and pro-gain 0 +5 db for me. Outside
buy samsung or apple usb c for trrs mic
2023-4-2
Use props
hurtighansen1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26296 ft
Denmark

think, as i do, find trs way to sensitive. And trrs kind of perfekt for action cam aka oa3
i use trs if i need to catch a mouse eating, but not out in wind so on.
If you can't live with that trrs mono, you need to think, extern recording.
This is a action cam. Not a hig end video recorder. You get some, but far from pro recording.
2023-4-2
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

kiwibird adapter usbc to  3,5mm trrs
has a strong cable
2023-4-3
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

trrs Adapter & Microphone  (China)
Kamera gain +10 to +15db
my microphones are not very sensitive

similar ugreen adapter
IMG_20230403_115938.jpg
IMG_20230403_120827.jpg
2023-4-3
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

DJ DJ Posted at 3-31 03:13
As long as you don't recommend a specific combination - with product codes - the recommendation is worthless. It would not have been the first recommendation that resulted in unnecessarily wasted money.
So - the next time, you better ask for the specific usecase of the thread opener. If he used your recommended adapter on a trs microphone, he possibly has a trash audio signal...

Thank you for your feedback, DJ. We will surely coordinate this with our relevant team. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-4-3
Use props
DJ DJ
lvl.4
Germany

hurtighansen1 Posted at 4-2 23:09
think, as i do, find trs way to sensitive. And trrs kind of perfekt for action cam aka oa3
i use trs if i need to catch a mouse eating, but not out in wind so on.
If you can't live with that trrs mono, you need to think, extern recording.

If the pin layout of your adapter fits the layout of your microphone, no problem, everything is right. If it does not, the sound is possibly crappy and distorted, or just low-ouptput, depending on the microphone you use.
There is no difference in sensitivity for trs and trrs, just "right wiring" where the contacts fit the right couterpart, or "wrong wiring", where they don't. The outcome is simply a matter of luck with trrs adapters, as there is no standard and most of the time no description, what pin layout an adapter uses. Just because one type is used most of the time, it is no guarantee, you get the right one.My point is - if there are different options for adapters, use the right one. Why do you need user feedback for that? Why does DJI not provide a failsafe adapter that responds to the gain control? Just because it is an action cam, I don't accept crappy audio when it is very easy to give a suitable recommendation with the same efford.
I have no problem with my usc-c to trrs adapters (I uses the KIWIbird adapter and a UGreen angled one) but my microphone has a dedicated trs-to-trrs cable that luckily uses the same pin layout. Gain control does not work, though - refer for the other thread for this.
I have another trrs-to-trs adapter, that uses another pin layot for an old Sony-Ericsson phone, that would not work, so if for any reason I get a usb-to-trrs-adapter with that layout, I waste my money...

The best solution is a usb-c microphone with it's own gain control, but that was not, what the thread opener asked for...

Most of the time, I use no external microphone because it is an action cam. But when I do, it is no excuse to arrange with crappy incompatible stuff just because of bad documentation...

2023-4-6
Use props
PhilTonic
lvl.1
Germany

My 2 cents:

- Boya BY-K4 works with TS and TRS mics. Hard to get your hands on at the moment. With an inline volume control audio levels are great. Not peaking, even when screaming in the motorcycle helmet. If the on-bike test is successful I will probably prefer this setup over the Samsung EO-IG955 with headphones chopped off.
- Samsung apapter works with TRRS mics. https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B09HWC5GTQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- WKWZY Stereo Record Cable also works with TRS (and probably TS) and audio levels are good for fellow motovlogger Rhönschrat. https://www.amazon.de/dp/B09QSQQDC8/?coliid=I2LX7KHAXENDW&colid=1ASEIWDTL4IO3&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

2023-5-31
Use props
dopiaza
lvl.1
Australia

Rocktheasphalt Posted at 2023-3-29 13:58
Add this to the Apple or UGREEN adapter and it should work perfectly https://www.amazon.de/Rode-TRS-TRRS-Adapter-Stecker-schwarz/dp/B00L6C8PN0/ref=sr_1_2?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&crid=1EP7V6E8H4702&keywords=rode+sc4&qid=1680127801&s=musical-instruments&sprefix=rode+sc+4%2Cmi%2C81&sr=1-2

I'm using a Purple Panda mic and it has a TRRS connection, since it has three rings I'm guessing. I connected it to the Apple usb c to mini jack and it works but the voice and sound is very distorted for motovlogging. It keeps cutting off my voice when it picks up the sound of my bike. Do you know what the problem could be? Thanks.
4-2 06:54
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

dopiaza Posted at 4-2 06:54
I'm using a Purple Panda mic and it has a TRRS connection, since it has three rings I'm guessing. I connected it to the Apple usb c to mini jack and it works but the voice and sound is very distorted for motovlogging. It keeps cutting off my voice when it picks up the sound of my bike. Do you know what the problem could be? Thanks.

According to your description, it sounds like the adapter you are using has noise reduction. Normally your voice would take precedence in such a case. If the engine sound is much louder than your voice, it is also possible that the microphone is overloaded. Do you hear a clicking noise and then nothing for a moment or is your voice just distorted?
4-2 17:27
Use props
dopiaza
lvl.1
Australia

Andreas Dueck Posted at 4-2 17:27
According to your description, it sounds like the adapter you are using has noise reduction. Normally your voice would take precedence in such a case. If the engine sound is much louder than your voice, it is also possible that the microphone is overloaded. Do you hear a clicking noise and then nothing for a moment or is your voice just distorted?

My mic is placed in my helmet. I don't have an adapter, just the apple cable between the purple panda and my osmo action 3. It's more of a crackle and pop while I'm casually riding and not talking. When I'm going fast and talking with wind blowing, it's more aggressive crackle and pop with my voice cutting out. But I realised that my friend talking further away sounded normal and very clear, and when I'm talking to him with my helmet on, it sounds atrocious.
4-7 07:01
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

Then the Osmo Action Audio Adapter should fix your problem. DJI states that it is only compatible with the Osmo Action4, but that's not quite true. Only the simultaneous charging does not work, but the sound is also excellent with the Osmo Actio3. -6dB in the camera was quite good for me.
4-7 10:58
Use props
dopiaza
lvl.1
Australia

Andreas Dueck Posted at 4-7 10:58
Then the Osmo Action Audio Adapter should fix your problem. DJI states that it is only compatible with the Osmo Action4, but that's not quite true. Only the simultaneous charging does not work, but the sound is also excellent with the Osmo Actio3. -6dB in the camera was quite good for me.

I hope you are right. I can't afford to keep buying different items and trial and error haha.
Also, do I have to connect the 3 ring TRRS cable of the purple panda to the Osmo Action Audio Adapter or does it need 2 ring TRS connection?
4-8 07:30
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

dopiaza Posted at 4-8 07:30
I hope you are right. I can't afford to keep buying different items and trial and error haha.
Also, do I have to connect the 3 ring TRRS cable of the purple panda to the Osmo Action Audio Adapter or does it need 2 ring TRS connection?

For the Osmo Action Audio Adapter you need the TRS to TRSS adapter cable (Rode SC3 e.g.) in conjunction with your Purple Panda. However, it makes sense to insert an angled plug into the adapter, not only for visual reasons, but also because it makes it a little easier to protect against accidental unplugging.
4-8 13:30
Use props
Thiago Noronha
lvl.2
Flight distance : 586152 ft
Brazil

Does the Orinigal Osmo Action 3.5mm Audio Adapter work on the Osmo Action 3?

4-16 04:12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules