Phantom 2 motor failure
31254 82 2014-12-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mangitung
lvl.1

Indonesia

Hi, I just bought a Phantom 2  (Version 3)  with H4-3D about 2 weeks ago. I did some practice before actually having my Gopro4 on board. During my initial practice, when I first turned on the motors, I had the Phantom tipped over a few times, which I thought was normal because I was just learning. I finally had the Gopro4 on board. The weather was nice and I had 1 run with full battery, landed safely, I let the motors cool for about 10 minutes before going for the second run on a freshly charged battery. The second flight was also nice but as I was on my way to land, the battery was 32% on the FPV, and the Phantom was about 10 meters above the ground. I was landing very slowly and hovered to record the parking lot when all of the sudden the Phantom fell to the ground. I felt like there's a force pulling the phantom to one side. It went sideways on the air and crashed (I will discuss about this later). The gopro4's mainboard was bent and the USB port became unusable, basically I ruined my gopro4 but the Phantom was ok, only a cracked body right under one of the motors and damaged Red LED.  I even tried another flight about 10 minutes after the crash and the Phantom flew perfectly.

Ok, so I took it to the dealer to have it checked (Phantom still flying normally). Later they called me and said that one of the ESC boards was damaged and needed to be replaced. So I let them replaced it. Today I finally had the time to try again. I tried flying indoor with enough space. First time I turned it on was ok but the second time the phantom tipped over to one side again. This time I noticed that one or more motors spinned faster than they should, creating too much force pushing to one side causing the tip over. Now it all makes sense to me after reading this post. I believe one or more of the motors spinned faster or even stopped during my landing approach.

Last note, by now I have a pretty good knowledge on how to start the motors so there's a minimum chance that I started the motors incorrectly. This is quite a terrifying experience for me. I plan to just sell my phantom and do a cut loss rather than having another crash, who knows where it's going to crash next.

Any suggestion? Thank you!

cracked body

cracked body
2015-3-16
Use props
Jerdel
lvl.2

United States

I just ordered one of these directly off this site 3 days ago.  I sure hope this issue has been resolved. I am no wondering if I should open it up right away and check the esc and wiring or just send it back and get a refund. I dont need to be flying a $1200 time bomb around because of some crappy wiring and weak esc's.
2015-3-16
Use props
mangitung
lvl.1

Indonesia

@Jerdel : I'm now selling mine online. Decided to do a cut loss after losing a Gopro4 and I don't plan on losing another one. I'm waiting for a better model to be released, or get an Inspire 1. By the way, I think Gopro is planning to have a drone of their own by this year if not mistaken.
2015-3-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules