Drone camera freeze
1051 4 2023-6-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rescue 1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 89820 ft
United States

I had an emergency deployment yesterday for a car into the water with occupants, pulling into a parking lot near the scene, I noticed telephone poles on the south side of the lot with high tension wires on them.  I parked north of them and deployed the drone after calibrating it, up and over the wires to the incident location a few hundred feet away south.  My altitude was about 60 ft. a building was between the drone and me so I had to rely on the smart controller screen for a visual of where I was in the air.  I was capturing video from take off to the scene when my monitor image froze and I could not change between video and snapshot.  I walked to the street to view the drone, it was hovering over the site responsive to stick control but my monitor was frozen.
I flew my drone back to my location visually, landed ok, shutdown and restarted the drone with no problems, monitor was back in operation.

My question to you all is why did this happen?  Did my signal between my smart monitor and the drone get corrupted by the high tension wires?  Why did I lose my camera and monitor capabilities, yet maintain stick control, if it was interference related.  Playing back what video I got, showed a choppy movement of the image before it stopped recording.  With a building in the way of a clear view of the drone, was the bulding blocking the signal between the controller and drone?

After, I reset the drone, I re-deployed it only straight up for some still shots then straight down just in case the problem was still there, it wasn't.

Did anyone else experience this type of problem?

Thanks for the help.

Rick

2023-6-16
Use props
digibud
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7820246 ft
  • >>>
United States

Given you had no line of sight to the drone and a building between you, losing contact is to be expected. It should, of course, re-established proper contact with the screen when you got back in view of the drone.  The logs and information viewable at airdata.com won't show any information useful to the question as to why the rc screen remained frozen.  DJI support might glean some information from their logs so you might contact them and setup a case but I've always considered it a crap shoot when you loose contact with the drone. At that point all bets are off to my way of thinking. No doubt there is a programming deficit that didn't provide for a recovery of the screen function but it's most likely that is hidden deeply within the code within the firmware. I've lost visual with my drone on rare occasions and figure anything that happens after that is "my bad".  That's no answer for you but I'm confident contacting DJI and sending them the log file might be the only way to glean information.
2023-6-16
Use props
Rescue 1
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for the input Digibud, I've reviewed my after incident stills I took after I reset my drone and went straight up and down to test my unit out.  It is very obvious that the parking lot I launched from was too small, too close to those wires, and the building did block my signal to the drone, I never have launched from a location like this during an emergency and will never again.  My bad..  The environment of rescue vehicles forced me to find a quiet place to launch but not the best place.  I always keep my drones in view, glad I had switched on all my strobes so I could re-direct my craft back to my location by eye sight vs a frozen monitor.  I was over water.

Thanks again
2023-6-22
Use props
Rescue 1
lvl.2
United States

2023-6-22
Use props
mgphoto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2906398 ft
United States

I have had problems with the IR video freezing when shooting RGB video in 4K and snapping a still image of the scene, restarting the aircraft clears the problem. I contacted tech support about this, they wanted to take the drone in to check the hardware, issue doesn’t happen in 1080p format.
2023-8-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules