Would you buy a DJI RC2 kit for your current DJI RC Radio?
12Next >
4900 43 2023-6-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

This is a mix as in, it is a request to DJI and at the same time a poll to see how many of us would be interested...

Based on the few pictures released, we can see that the RC2 has now 2 external antenna like the RC Pro... I know that it is a bit early, but just in case it does become a reality!

The question for DJI is: Would it be possible for DJI to release a kit (PnP) where you have the new external shell and the two antennas, so that we (existing RC owners) can simply update our RC radio.

If not, would DJI at least being interested in a buy back scheme where we can get the RC relaced (for an honest fee) with the needed external antennas and still called a "RC2 replacement kit"

The fact that the new RC2 has external arial, does imply somehow that there is an issue in the current  design and that's why why all these people keep loosing the signal with the standard RC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now the Poll should be self explanatory..    Remeber you can select 2 options

Would you be happy to buy either a kit (new shell and antenna) if PnP, or buy a RC2 Replacement Kit, as explained above, for a small fee?

Thank you for partecipating...

Multiple choiceVote: ( Up to 2 entry optional ), Total 29 people participate in voting View Poll participants

Voting has ended

35.14% (13)
37.84% (14)
27.03% (10)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2023-6-30
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

This is a video of how to replace the internal aerials...

2023-6-30
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13381447 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can't seriously think DJI would release an upgrade kit for the RC? DJI has manufactured the thing to be as difficult as possible to take apart to access the connectors that would be required to connect any antennas. They're greedy and want to sell as much new product as possible. Not make an upgrade path cheaper for us customers. They won't even allow apps to be installed on this RC for goodness sakes.
2023-6-30
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

I don't know, but it doesn't hurt to ask.. Surely, they way things are going, it is easy to think your way, but perhaps you have gone too far at the end of the spectrum... After all, DJI is not here to please you, but to make money... Considering that I already have the external antenna on my RC, I was hoping that DJI may see a way for those of us that are handy, to offer an OEM kit..

Either way, they won't stop people modify their radio... This kit would be more of an OEM patch to allow them to sell more skins and more antennas... Simple as that...
2023-6-30
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Burt37 Posted at 6-30 16:54
I don't know, but it doesn't hurt to ask.. Surely, they way things are going, it is easy to think your way, but perhaps you have gone too far at the end of the spectrum... After all, DJI is not here to please you, but to make money... Considering that I already have the external antenna on my RC, I was hoping that DJI may see a way for those of us that are handy, to offer an OEM kit..

Either way, they won't stop people modify their radio... This kit would be more of an OEM patch to allow them to sell more skins and more antennas... Simple as that...

I'm not against your idea, I just look at it from a DJI corporate board room perspective. They want to make the most profits and there's nothing wrong with that. This would however be like Apple releasing the iPhone 15 and then selling iPhone 14 owners an upgrade kit. It would never happen. As soon as any new tech model comes out companies do all they can to make it look as unique as possible compared to the older model in hopes that it'll make people upgrade. If they sell an upgrade kit it's basically admitting that there's only a few minor differences.

Then there's the whole logistical perspective. DJI would be telling people to void their warranty to install such a product.
2023-6-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If its just for the antenna and no other changes then I dont see any point in the upgrade,   the current RC range will out do what the batteries can cope with.
2023-7-1
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 7-1 01:17
If its just for the antenna and no other changes then I dont see any point in the upgrade,   the current RC range will out do what the batteries can cope with.

Is not an upgrade.. It would be a kit
2023-7-1
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

100% agree. I can run out of electrons long before I can run out of range (FCC with "lus" batteries). And remember, those external antennas are just something else to crack.  
2023-7-1
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27904331 ft
  • >>>
Germany

KLRSKIR Posted at 7-1 10:30
100% agree. I can run out of electrons long before I can run out of range (FCC with "lus" batteries). And remember, those external antennas are just something else to crack.

Yes,
see (my) RC Pro.......     
2023-7-1
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not really interested in just the RC2.  Already have multiple RC Pro's an the one RC I have is just for the Mini 3 Pro.  Unless it's just a great all around controller and offers app installation capability, it is probably a pass for me.  
2023-7-1
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

TonyPHX Posted at 7-1 23:37
Not really interested in just the RC2.  Already have multiple RC Pro's an the one RC I have is just for the Mini 3 Pro.  Unless it's just a great all around controller and offers app installation capability, it is probably a pass for me.

You see, I like the weight of the RC and with the two external antenna I also don't have any issue to having to point the RC at the drone all the time... It is the same as the RC Pro... You can fly a bit more relaxed... I use the RC Pro with the Mavic but it feels like carrying a brick in your backpack...

So I thought if DJI came up with a kit for say $30-40 dollar (two antenna plus the back cover with the two new holes) maybe the people that know how to open and work on the radio would be interested..

I didn't think much of it... People are replying with topics of warranties and antennas that can crack...

This poll was a bit past those points... Obviously it would not be the right Kit for them...

2023-7-2
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

Don't take my word for it, but the antenna do improve the signal quality not necessarily the range...

The idea was not to have to pin point towards the drone 100% of the time while flying... Have you ever lost the signal with the DJI RC? I did, quite often at the beginning, so I got rid of the issue by installing the external antenna.. That's all... I guess DJI with the RC2 have come to the same conclusion...

I'm not even sure if the range has improved at all as the power output is still the same...
2023-7-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Burt37 Posted at 7-1 04:13
Is not an upgrade.. It would be a kit

Here we use the term upgrade if we replace version 1 with version 2
2023-7-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Burt37 Posted at 7-2 00:34
Don't take my word for it, but the antenna do improve the signal quality not necessarily the range...

The idea was not to have to pin point towards the drone 100% of the time while flying... Have you ever lost the signal with the DJI RC? I did, quite often at the beginning, so I got rid of the issue by installing the external antenna.. That's all... I guess DJI with the RC2 have come to the same conclusion...

I dont have any signal issues with the remote,    Its been very good,  probably better than the smart controller with the antennas as long as I face the drone.  And Ive got 6000+km experience flying that remote with the Mini 3 Pro.
2023-7-2
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Burt37 Posted at 7-2 00:20
You see, I like the weight of the RC and with the two external antenna I also don't have any issue to having to point the RC at the drone all the time... It is the same as the RC Pro... You can fly a bit more relaxed... I use the RC Pro with the Mavic but it feels like carrying a brick in your backpack...

So I thought if DJI came up with a kit for say $30-40 dollar (two antenna plus the back cover with the two new holes) maybe the people that know how to open and work on the radio would be interested..

Yep, I get your thought.  I do think most people that buy consumer ready to fly drones are not fans of doing hardware surgery to modify.  This may not be your target audience for this.  : )
2023-7-2
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

TonyPHX Posted at 7-2 08:00
Yep, I get your thought.  I do think most people that buy consumer ready to fly drones are not fans of doing hardware surgery to modify.  This may not be your target audience for this.  : )

I think you are right...

Oh, well....
2023-7-2
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 7-2 06:25
Here we use the term upgrade if we replace version 1 with version 2

I see now what you mean... Option 2 is an upgrade, but option 1 would be a kit as you get to keep the radio...
2023-7-2
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 7-2 06:27
I dont have any signal issues with the remote,    Its been very good,  probably better than the smart controller with the antennas as long as I face the drone.  And Ive got 6000+km experience flying that remote with the Mini 3 Pro.

I believe you...  And yet, DJI still mounted external antennas on the same radio...

Go figure...
2023-7-2
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Burt37 Posted at 7-2 13:13
I believe you...  And yet, DJI still mounted external antennas on the same radio...

Go figure...

I'm pretty sure DJI doesn't make these remotes entirely themselves, they get what they can get when it comes to parts.  Often they launch whatever is offered up to them and whatever is available for a price, yes they have choices but you got suppliers who are trying to sell the latest and greatest to DJI.  I kinda like that we are on such a brisk pace with the accessories, I embrace it.  When Mavic 4 launches and RC Pro has a single hi-intensity super hybrid antenna and a 2000 nit display, I'll buy the compatible RC Pro 2 instead of trying to figure out how to swap out the antenna and screen on my old RC Pro.
2023-7-2
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

The Saint Posted at 7-2 14:56
I'm pretty sure DJI doesn't make these remotes entirely themselves, they get what they can get when it comes to parts.  Often they launch whatever is offered up to them and whatever is available for a price, yes they have choices but you got suppliers who are trying to sell the latest and greatest to DJI.  I kinda like that we are on such a brisk pace with the accessories, I embrace it.  When Mavic 4 launches and RC Pro has a single hi-intensity super hybrid antenna and a 2000 nit display, I'll buy the compatible RC Pro 2 instead of trying to figure out how to swap out the antenna and screen on my old RC Pro.

How sure are you? So DJI doesn't make the new RC 2? Who makes it then?
2023-7-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

KLRSKIR Posted at 7-1 10:30
100% agree. I can run out of electrons long before I can run out of range (FCC with "Plus" batteries). And remember, those external antennas are just something else to crack.

They'd get in the way of my sun shade too.
2023-7-3
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 7-3 00:16
They'd get in the way of my sun shade too.

Now that would be a problem...
2023-7-3
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Burt37 Posted at 7-2 22:53
How sure are you? So DJI doesn't make the new RC 2? Who makes it then?

rc2 manufacture is probably the same as rc1 (rc).  the point im trying to make is the rc is compose of parts which come from several supplies and that impacts their rc development.  dji may be the oem but they likely rely on antennas and screens from elsewhere.
2023-7-3
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

The Saint Posted at 7-3 09:26
rc2 manufacture is probably the same as rc1 (rc).  the point im trying to make is the rc is compose of parts which come from several supplies and that impacts their rc development.  dji may be the oem but they likely rely on antennas and screens from elsewhere.

I'm not sure if I follow... considering that you really don't know, how is this related to my original question.. Do you like to make your own modification to your toys? If you don't, then this kit wouldn't be any good to you...
2023-7-6
Use props
Solarframe
lvl.1
Flight distance : 118885 ft
Netherlands

Burt37 Posted at 6-30 15:04
This is a video of how to replace the internal aerials...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jleBEUCc2Q

what happened with the part taken off at 3.08 min ? it's not getting back on later ....
2023-7-25
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

clearly this is an even less attractive offering today....for so many reasons.
2023-7-25
Use props
KnNLmS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 119967 ft
  • >>>
Turkey

I don't expect from any company such a movement. RC2 is an upgrade, if you like you can buy it.

But the main question is; Air3 seems almost a better alternative from Mavic 3, who will buy Mavic 3 after Air3? The second question who will buy RC Pro after RC2? This seems to me a business mistake for DJI.

If RC Pro doesn't get an upgrade via software for O4, this will kill RC Pro sure. So there can be "Rc Pro 2" very soon. But If DJI releases that much often, that much expensive toys, can loose some loyal customers.

If DJI doesn't make a huge software upgrade to Mavic 3 and add some shiny abilities, similar and seems for M3, so M4 can come soon. Is that too early? Not much but a little bit...
2023-7-25
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

Solarframe Posted at 7-25 08:06
what happened with the part taken off at 3.08 min ? it's not getting back on later ....

It looks like a little spacer. He must have decided it was not essential to put it back..
2023-7-25
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

The Saint Posted at 7-25 08:41
clearly this is an even less attractive offering today....for so many reasons.

Clearly, not attractive at all, especially if you have no manual skills whatsoever to perform the task...

I agree with you...
2023-7-25
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Burt37 Posted at 7-25 13:50
Clearly, not attractive at all, especially if you have no manual skills whatsoever to perform the task...

I agree with you...

you can still make the mod but you cannot get the benefits offered with the new design from the antenna to the fan, etc.  people like you and i might be intrigued but this generation of folks, i can't imagine they care to dive in considering the low cost of the alternative; the new remote is only $350 so eventually a used one will go for $300 and you may get the benefits of o4.  but hey, it might be too late to sell your rc screen for more than $99 at this point, so you may as well take it apart i guess.
2023-7-25
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

The Saint Posted at 7-25 14:01
you can still make the mod but you cannot get the benefits offered with the new design from the antenna to the fan, etc.  people like you and i might be intrigued but this generation of folks, i can't imagine they care to dive in considering the low cost of the alternative; the new remote is only $350 so eventually a used one will go for $300 and you may get the benefits of o4.  but hey, it might be too late to sell your rc screen for more than $99 at this point, so you may as well take it apart i guess.

I would never sell the RC just to buy the RC2... That's not how my world works.. The only time I would consider buy another radio would be if it was broken and not repairable... I did the modification few months back and so far, so good... The fan would be much, much more appreciated inside the flying toaster (Mini 3 Pro). The RC radio so far hasn't given me any problem...

As far as DJI business strategy, they lost me as a customer with the "compulsory monthly log in" just to be able to fly... Once my DJI drones will fail, that will be it...
2023-7-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Burt37 Posted at 7-25 15:13
I would never sell the RC just to buy the RC2... That's not how my world works.. The only time I would consider buy another radio would be if it was broken and not repairable... I did the modification few months back and so far, so good... The fan would be much, much more appreciated inside the flying toaster (Mini 3 Pro). The RC radio so far hasn't given me any problem...

As far as DJI business strategy, they lost me as a customer with the "compulsory monthly log in" just to be able to fly... Once my DJI drones will fail, that will be it...

they lost me as a customer with the "compulsory monthly log in" just to be able to fly.
What compulsory monthly login?
I haven't had to login in over a year and my drones fly just fine..
2023-7-25
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

Labroides Posted at 7-25 21:15
they lost me as a customer with the "compulsory monthly log in" just to be able to fly.
What compulsory monthly login?
I haven't had to login in over a year and my drones fly just fine..

That's Nice!
2023-7-26
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

Dirty Bird Posted at 7-31 12:01
There is more to the DJI RC 2 than just external antenna.  It has more memory, a faster processor, & likely includes a new chipset to support O4.  Further the DJI RC, like most DJI remotes, is not exactly child's play to disassemble.  One can only imagine the number of failed upgrade attempts there would be from customer-induced damage.  All this and, at the moment at least, the DJI RC 2 is strictly O4 & only compatible with the Air 3.  You can buy an RC2 now, but of what use is it unless you own an Air 3?

Not sure of why you are comparing the two radio...

This was meant to be just a kit for the antenna. Again, this kit would be for people that know what they are doing and that are enjoying using the radio with several of their drones...

Not related whatsoever with the RC 2 as you can only fly one drone with it...
2023-7-31
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

Dirty Bird Posted at 7-31 17:01
Because the title of your thread is, "Would you buy a DJI RC2 kit for your current DJI RC Radio?"   This naturally leads one to believe the goal is to transform a DJI RC into a DJI RC 2. I realize a DJI RC 2 currently only works with an Air 3.  I specifically made note of this in my reply.

If your desire is only to add the RC2 external antenna setup to your DJI RC, you should have been more specific in your proposition.  There is presents a problem, however, because the RC2 has four antenna & associated connectors, whereas the DJI RC has only two. If your intent is simply to supplant the internal patch antenna with an external arrangement, you can do that right now without the need for a specialized kit.  You say you like to tinker & you know what you are doing, so this should be cake for a chap with your set of skills, eh?

I have no desire to do something again that I already did 6 months ago...

If I need to be more specific, than this forum would become a full time job...
2023-7-31
Use props
Mr500cm
lvl.1
United States

Johnnokomis Posted at 6-30 17:56
I'm not against your idea, I just look at it from a DJI corporate board room perspective. They want to make the most profits and there's nothing wrong with that. This would however be like Apple releasing the iPhone 15 and then selling iPhone 14 owners an upgrade kit. It would never happen. As soon as any new tech model comes out companies do all they can to make it look as unique as possible compared to the older model in hopes that it'll make people upgrade. If they sell an upgrade kit it's basically admitting that there's only a few minor differences.

Then there's the whole logistical perspective. DJI would be telling people to void their warranty to install such a product.

The other option is to send the controller in to have the antennas retrofitted. But that’s not going to happen.
2023-9-11
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Mr500cm Posted at 9-11 15:57
The other option is to send the controller in to have the antennas retrofitted. But that’s not going to happen.

That is already an option through third parties. This would get MUCH better range than slapping on 2 tiny antennas.

Screenshot 2023-09-11 200535.png
2023-9-11
Use props
Dronekongen Fra Aalesund
lvl.3
Flight distance : 708802 ft
Norway

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2023-9-26
Use props
Dronekongen Fra Aalesund
lvl.3
Flight distance : 708802 ft
Norway

I would absolutely love to see future DJI RC's with a modular design where you can buy any of the DJI controllers and change out the antenna (OcuSync) module and the tech for it in one module.

That makes total sense. Let's just take the 'DJI RC 2' as an example. I can't buy that controller for my 'DJI Mavic 3 Pro' drone, because it's not compatible. Imagine if there already had been a modular design on those controllers today. Then I could have bought the 'DJI RC 2' and change out the OcuSync module with the antennas and and put in an OcuSync 3+ module in it to use it with my 'DJI Mavic 3 Pro' drone. That should be easy to do as the rest of the things inside of the controllers are not OcuSync or drone related.

I would personally buy the 'RC 2' controller just for the smoother and more lag free experience on it over the first RC and then use the 'RC 2' with an 'OcuSync 3+' module with my DJI Mavic 3 Pro drone here, just to get away from the insane lag and stuttering on the first 'RC' controller.

I do use the 'DJI RC-N1' today with my 'Samsung Galaxy Z Fold5' smartphone (with a tablet holder). And the experience here is lightyears ahead of the experience I get with the 'DJI RC' controller.
2023-9-26
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

Dronekongen Fra Aalesund Posted at 9-26 10:24
I would absolutely love to see future DJI RC's with a modular design where you can buy any of the DJI controllers and change out the antenna (OcuSync) module and the tech for it in one module.

That makes total sense. Let's just take the 'DJI RC 2' as an example. I can't buy that controller for my 'DJI Mavic 3 Pro' drone, because it's not compatible. Imagine if there already had been a modular design on those controllers today. Then I could have bought the 'DJI RC 2' and change out the OcuSync module with the antennas and and put in an OcuSync 3+ module in it to use it with my 'DJI Mavic 3 Pro' drone. That should be easy to do as the rest of the things inside of the controllers are not OcuSync or drone related.

Hi Dronekongen.. Thank you for your reply

I wasn't even thinking about an RF module, but as a matter of fact, DJI could easily do that, as it has been available on other brand of radio for years...

My Taranis Radio does have such option and here is a video to show you how simple it is...

And here some of the modules available... You also have option for the frequencies I personally have the Orange RX brand...

2023-9-26
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules