1328 9 2023-7-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
volaredrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3564685 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm confused why DJI hasn't built in a storage mode feature to the Mavic 3 charger? (unless I'm missing it?)

DJI's Phantom 4 charging hub had a storage mode and I used it religiously to ensure max life of batteries – which aren't cheap (I had spent over $1200 on P4 batteries alone)

I typically am shooting around every 6-10 days. So the default "smart" decharging feature of the batteries is not optimal as it means that they typically have no time to decharge before I need to reuse them again. I'm worried about the longevity of these batteries given this schedule.

I've only seen one after market 3rd party option on Amazon – but it looks bulky and I try to keep everything battery related OEM from DJI.

Any suggestions?
2023-7-3
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hello, volaredrone. Before storage, please make sure that the remaining battery level is at least 60%. Charging and discharging the battery once every three months is recommended to improve battery performance.
If the battery level is below 60%, charging it until it is 60% before storage is recommended.
If the battery level is above 70%, the battery will discharge automatically on the 9th day to about 60%. I hope this helps. Have a great day!
2023-7-5
Use props
volaredrone
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I understand that – but why is there not a DJI device that (like for the P4) that will discharge batteries to the correct storage level on demand?

I can't sit around and watch my batteries like a hawk to only charge them to 60% before disconnecting the charger.
And as I said above, I don't want to have to wait 9 days before they discharge as I might be charging it again on the 10th day for another job.
2023-7-5
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 474537 ft
United States

The mavic 3 doesn't need storage charge. Usually lipo battery chargers will have storage to charge batteries cells to 3.80v. Mavic 3 battery doesn't have storage or need to. Because it's an intelligent battery. Meaning you can charge it full and the battery will automatically discharge itself to storage if not use for a few days. As staff have stated above, just make sure to charge them once every 3 months or so and you are good. No need to worry about storage charge. That is only for normal lipo battery that doesn't self discharge.
2023-7-5
Use props
volaredrone
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Sorry, but I don't think you understand my concern.

Theoretically, my batteries will never go into storage mode because I will be using them once every 8 days or so.
From what I've read, keeping your batteries at 100% all the time is not good for battery health long term.

So for my P4s (which also automatically discharged after set # of days), I would keep them in storage mode using the DJI charger and then only charge them the day before a shoot.
2023-7-5
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 474537 ft
United States

If you are using your battery every 8 days. Why are you so worried about storage mode? Storage for lipo battery is for when you do not plan to use it for months or years. Lipo battery doesn't like being store for a long time at full. That is why most charger will have storage mode. Leaving your battery for 8 days at full isn't gonna do anything. Mavic 3 battery will automatically discharge around 8-9 days. So not sure why you need storage your batteries for only 8 days. I think people worried too much about lipo batteries being full for a few days. Ive been into rc trucks and rc heli for over 20 years. I leave my battieres full charge for weeks and it never cause any damage. Its when you leave them for many months. Example leaving them full charge for 9 months, it can damage and the batteries will swell up. Leaving for weeks will not damage them. So i dont get people get work up about leaving battery full for a few days.
2023-7-5
Use props
fans17c4995b
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18832116 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think some are just more ocd (concerned) about it than others.
2023-7-6
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

volaredrone Posted at 7-5 12:08
Sorry, but I don't think you understand my concern.

Theoretically, my batteries will never go into storage mode because I will be using them once every 8 days or so.

Hi. Sorry for the late reply.  There is no need because the battery itself has the self-discharging mode. 
2023-7-16
Use props
fansf4900f8b
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2347369 ft
  • >>>
Sri Lanka

DJI Tony Posted at 2023-7-16 19:27
Hi. Sorry for the late reply.  There is no need because the battery itself has the self-discharging mode. 

Is there a way to manually enable discharge downto storage percentage ? Or a way to charge just upto storage ?
2-19 10:09
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

fansf4900f8b Posted at 2-19 10:09
Is there a way to manually enable discharge downto storage percentage ? Or a way to charge just upto storage ?

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. There is no function to do that unless you fly the drone. Have a nice day.
2-20 03:11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules