Saving images of incomplete spherical panoramas
731 11 2023-7-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PanoPuzzle
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DJI mini 3 pro spherical panorama question.

Got all my stuff set up so that the RAW images are saved and it works quite fine (had a mini 2 before so know which settings for 360 spherical and RAW)
BUT
there is always a good chance of strong gusts of wind here in North Wales. So I've been out and it turned out to be quite gusty in the mountains.
Sent it up anyways and it fought bravely but it only managed to shoot 2 full panoramas (all 36 images) - the rest of the panoramas got interrupted by the dreaded "strong wind.... " warning.

Now checking the SD card I found that the drone seems to delete the folders and all the RAW images of incomplete panoramas??
Can anybody confirm that?
If so is there a setting (and yes, I checked but couldn't find anything) which keeps the images of incomplete  panoramas??

If that is the case that all the images are deleted I would really like to see a tick-box in future which enables me to save incomplete panoramas.

2023-7-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Oh that is a new one for me. Never had that myself.
(but I have not made a sphere in a long time with the Mini 2)
2023-7-10
Use props
PanoPuzzle
lvl.2

United Kingdom

RE: Saving images of incomplete spherical panoramas

Got that as an answer somewhere else which makes sense but I haven't actually found it in the documentation.

"On Mini 3 series all stitching is done in aircraft, incomplete ones doesn't save individual pics. On Mini 2 thus, since the stitching is done w DJI Fly app instead saving all individual pics on SD card in aircraft."

Can anybody here confirm that?
If that's true I just wonder WHY??

Stitching needs processing power - which needs battery power. Why do that in the drone an sacrifice flight time if it can be done on the remote or later.
Not sure I understand the logic.

At least let me decide if I want it stiched immediately or if I would rather fly on and take the next panorama.
2023-7-10
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, PanoPuzzle. Thank you for reaching out. Let me verify this with our relevant team. We'll get back to you once we receive an update. Thank you.
2023-7-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

PanoPuzzle Posted at 7-10 12:24
Got that as an answer somewhere else which makes sense but I haven't actually found it in the documentation.

"On Mini 3 series all stitching is done in aircraft, incomplete ones doesn't save individual pics. On Mini 2 thus, since the stitching is done w DJI Fly app instead saving all individual pics on SD card in aircraft."

You are right,  mini 2 stitching on your device whereas almost all the other drones including the mini 3 stitching on the drone itself.    The latter being much better as all files are saved in one place.  
2023-7-11
Use props
PanoPuzzle
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-11 01:36
You are right,  mini 2 stitching on your device whereas almost all the other drones including the mini 3 stitching on the drone itself.    The latter being much better as all files are saved in one place.

Is it really better?
To get the best resolution for a spherical panorama you need to develop the RAW files and stitch them yourself anyway. This doubles the resolution which - for a drone panorama is quite useful.

What I really dislike it the fact that it might get all the images but the last one - a gust of wind comes in and that's it. All images taken for this sphere up to this point are deleted.
I really don't like that.
2023-7-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

PanoPuzzle Posted at 7-11 02:44
Is it really better?
To get the best resolution for a spherical panorama you need to develop the RAW files and stitch them yourself anyway. This doubles the resolution which - for a drone panorama is quite useful.

Yes for me having all the files in one place without the exif being mangled by the fly app is much better,  I dont want to have to copy files from the controller or phone and the sd card to get everything off,  and Ive found the odd pano the drone would stitch that I couldnt stitch with any other software.  
2023-7-11
Use props
PanoPuzzle
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-11 03:47
Yes for me having all the files in one place without the exif being mangled by the fly app is much better,  I dont want to have to copy files from the controller or phone and the sd card to get everything off,  and Ive found the odd pano the drone would stitch that I couldnt stitch with any other software.

That it is better for you is completely irrelevant and does not answer the question.

The question was - if a spherical panorama gets interrupted by strong winds (strong wind warning and drone decides by itself to stop the panorama - no user interaction)  are all the images taken so far deleted ??
If so I just wonder why.

All I'm saying is give a user a choice.
Do you want to have in drone stitching yes/no check box
Do you want to keep incomplete sets  yes/no check box

Then it is in the hands of the user to make the choices they prefer.
2023-7-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

PanoPuzzle Posted at 7-11 10:48
That it is better for you is completely irrelevant and does not answer the question.

The question was - if a spherical panorama gets interrupted by strong winds (strong wind warning and drone decides by itself to stop the panorama - no user interaction)  are all the images taken so far deleted ??

Sorry I was just answering your question "is it better?"     For me yes it is.   
2023-7-11
Use props
PanoPuzzle
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 7-10 22:23
Hi, PanoPuzzle. Thank you for reaching out. Let me verify this with our relevant team. We'll get back to you once we receive an update. Thank you.

Any news on the matter @DJI Gamora
2023-7-17
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, PanoPuzzle. Thank you for patiently waiting. Please follow the path below to find the original footage:

For the stitched images, you may check them from the Fly app and download them from the app.
For the RAW images of incomplete panoramas, please try to check in the 100Media folder which is under the DCIM folder, please see the path below:
2023-7-21
Use props
PanoPuzzle
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 7-21 18:45
Hi, PanoPuzzle. Thank you for patiently waiting. Please follow the path below to find the original footage:
[view_image]
For the stitched images, you may check them from the Fly app and download them from the app.

Sorry but that answer is not correct.

As I explained in the initial question - I am shooting RAW and it all works fine
BUT NOT
in the case when a spherical panorama was interrupted due to high winds.
There is (was when i posted the question one month ago) NO file of that data on the drone or on the card.
I checked all folders - of 5 panoramas shot 2 were completed and all files (RAW and stitched jpg) are there but there are (were) no traces of any of the images where the shooting was interrupted by strong winds.
Two of the missing ones where interrupted when only a couple of images were missing so I was hoping to find the taken images but I can assure you they were not on the card.

Not sure if I can or want to reproduce the problem - strong wind warnings with always still make me a bit nervous.

Thanks.
2023-8-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules