Poll, do you think it's OK to break vlos law?
2205 32 2023-7-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 474537 ft
United States

Someone made a poll about breaking the 400 feet law. 90% said don't do it. So I am curious about the vlos law. We are not allow to fly beyond vlos. But I see a lot people stating on here they going miles out. Even hacking their drones from ce to fcc just so they can fly further out. Can't possibly see a drone that far. I've came across youtube videos where pilot flew 30,000ft and more. Is it OK to break the vlos law? Others do it all the time right, so I can too right? Just curious what others think about this law. Should we be able to fly beyond vlos, simple yes or no. Thanks for voting.
Single SelectVote, Total 29 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2023-7-11
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

I do not understand why this same question keeps getting asked and answered with no end in sight.   
2023-7-11
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 7-11 11:25
I do not understand why this same question keeps getting asked and answered with no end in sight.

Didnt know there already a poll on vlos. Please post link so we can go vote there. If you just talking about discussion, this is a poll fyi. The other poll i saw was on 400 feet limit. Not on vlos.
2023-7-11
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I don't see the need for "f the rules". That's seemingly venturing an opinion or bias.
You might note that the post with which I opened my AGL poll https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 3194&extra=page%3D1 offered no opinion, it just ask questions..
I also qualified the extent of the rule breaking "3) I am not really thinking of small breaches, rather I am asking about attitudes towards routinely going above 500ftAGL, into 'manned aircraft aispace'."

I would guess that people view the two limits in different lights i.e. they may think ''breaking the height limit could put a drone up into manned aircraft airspace where it could become a threat to human life whereas breaking the VLOS limit may well be regarded as less risky since, providing that the drone is below the AGL ceiling, there should not, in most cases, be a manned aircraft in that airspace.''

As such I would suggest a third option is needed, along the lines of "I will break it but not by much and I always watch the airspace surrounding where I think the drone should be"  ...... abbreviated as required to fit the permissible question length.

I won't vote with the current wording of your questions.
2023-7-11
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC Posted at 7-11 11:36
Didnt know there already a poll on vlos. Please post link so we can go vote there. If you just talking about discussion, this is a poll fyi. The other poll i saw was on 400 feet limit. Not on vlos.

I don't know how many polls or discussions exist, and don't think I have time to dig up links etc.  The basis for my comment is that I feel it is exhausting to debate things like regulations.  We all know they exist, and we all know many will break them.  

Here is the thing - the first time you are flying a drone and have a helicopter swoop in at close proximity that you failed to notice, your heart will skip a beat.  If you are flying outside of regulations, it will skip two beats.  For me, one skipped beat is enough.  The last thing the hobby and/or industry needs is routine laziness or sloppiness that results in somebody getting hurt.  Anyways, to each their own.  
2023-7-11
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TonyPHX Posted at 7-11 11:25

History repeating itself
2023-7-11
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What an absurdity.  You ask for a simple Yes or No, and then stick a caveat on each option.
2023-7-11
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 7-11 12:25
I don't see the need for "f the rules". That's seemingly venturing an opinion or bias.
You might note that the post with which I opened my AGL poll https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 3194&extra=page%3D1 offered no opinion, it just ask questions..
I also qualified the extent of the rule breaking "3) I am not really thinking of small breaches, rather I am asking about attitudes towards routinely going above 500ftAGL, into 'manned aircraft aispace'."

Do you get the feeling that the OP is hoping for a massive vote for No1, in order to feel some justification for doing just that?
I expect he'll be disappointed.  I haven't registered a vote either.
2023-7-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

oh boy.  Here we go again.  
2023-7-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You already can fly BVLOS legally just approach the FAA and request a waiver,  jump through their hoops and get appropriate insurance etc and they will grant it.
2023-7-11
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 7-11 22:12
Do you get the feeling that the OP is hoping for a massive vote for No1, in order to feel some justification for doing just that?
I expect he'll be disappointed.  I haven't registered a vote either.

...........Yes.
2023-7-12
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Don't prevaricate, say what you mean
2023-7-12
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 7-12 00:48
Don't prevaricate, say what you mean

sorry, the minimum 10 character thing meant I had to 'waste' "."s
2023-7-12
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 7-12 01:44
sorry, the minimum 10 character thing meant I had to 'waste' "."s

2023-7-12
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-11 23:16
oh boy.  Here we go again.

Déjà vu all over again
2023-7-12
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

it is ok, everybody do and nothing bad happen, law need to be adjusted to reality and the people, not people to the law
2023-7-12
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 7-11 22:08
What an absurdity.  You ask for a simple Yes or No, and then stick a caveat on each option.

Lol sorry about the F in the first answer so added a 3rd option. The poll is to see how many folks thinks the law should change and allow pilot to fly beyond vlos as long as they fly in a safe manner and watch their surroundings. They do not need to see their drones at all times.
2023-7-12
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
United States

DAFlys Posted at 7-11 23:17
You already can fly BVLOS legally just approach the FAA and request a waiver,  jump through their hoops and get appropriate insurance etc and they will grant it.

Yes I know about that. If you have part 107 you can request for bvlos waiver. I did some research on that and found that is close to impossible to get. So yeah, not much help if your chances of getting a waiver is .001% lol.
2023-7-12
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC Posted at 7-12 06:53
Lol sorry about the F in the first answer so added a 3rd option. The poll is to see how many folks thinks the law should change and allow pilot to fly beyond vlos as long as they fly in a safe manner and watch their surroundings. They do not need to see their drones at all times.

There are many instances in life which support the old saying "The Law is an Ass" - and this is one of them.
But we're stuck with it - for the moment.
2023-7-12
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fateofangel Posted at 7-12 02:15
it is ok, everybody do and nothing bad happen, law need to be adjusted to reality and the people, not people to the law

Can't really argue with that
2023-7-12
Use props
DroneApe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459954 ft
United States

Hey guys,

I just wanted to give you a heads-up if you live in USA.  

It's my understanding that detection equipment is installed at quite a few airports now.  And the FAA has partnered with Dedrone to test jamming equipment at a few airports.

I don't know the range of the detection equipment.  I've heard 10-30 miles.  But I've also heard under ideal conditions it can be up to 100 miles.

Anyway, I have no idea about the FAA's enforcement policy.  I'm simply giving you a heads-up when flying near (within 30 miles or possibly more) of airports.

https://www.dedrone.com/press/de ... rations-at-airports

I have no idea about Dedrones jamming technique or its range or how close you'd have to be to get jammed.  Since the FAA and Dedrone are "partners", I assume they will send all of their detection data to FAA.
2023-7-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 7-12 01:48
Déjà vu all over again

I thought we had this poll last week.  
2023-7-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC Posted at 7-12 06:56
Yes I know about that. If you have part 107 you can request for bvlos waiver. I did some research on that and found that is close to impossible to get. So yeah, not much help if your chances of getting a waiver is .001% lol.

Indeed but not impossible.  
2023-7-12
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-12 22:48
I thought we had this poll last week.

Maybe, I don't remember
2023-7-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 7-13 02:26
Maybe, I don't remember

There was this long one - https://forum.dji.com/thread-271137-1-1.html
2023-7-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-13 04:04
There was this long one - https://forum.dji.com/thread-271137-1-1.html

Missed that one entirely
2023-7-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 7-13 04:09
Missed that one entirely

You didnt miss much then.
2023-7-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-13 04:26
You didnt miss much then.

Most likely not
2023-7-13
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

DroneApe Posted at 7-12 08:20
Hey guys,

This is worldwide, not just in the USA.
2023-12-7
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

You don't know what you are missing here....

These polls are some of the best... Get your friends over on the weekend, open a few coldies, and use a large screen to display them... You just can't stop laughing...

PS

The alcohol really helps...
2023-12-7
Use props
LucasYL
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

In my own personal opinion, I think it all depends on where you fly it.  I do it when flying around farmlands and wide open areas.  Again, just my opinion.
2023-12-7
Use props
Chicago SkyCam
lvl.3
Flight distance : 745712 ft
United States

DroneApe Posted at 2023-7-12 08:20
Hey guys,

DJI drones will not take off or fly in to restricted airspace in most cases already.  You need to download a waiver in order for the drone to fly, just my experience.  Older drones may not run in to this issue.
2-20 12:49
Use props
DronSap
lvl.3
Flight distance : 12943 ft
Czechia

You, as the pilot, need to know if the drone is still in VLOS or not. In some countries, the maximum distance between the pilot and the drone is limited by official rules. If you can't "read" the orientation of the drone, then you have definitely reached the current limit for VLOS ;)
And one important note: It's not about the rules and how I like and respect the rules as a pilot. Today, flying is increasingly restricted, controlled and monitored. If we, as a community of drone pilots, show the public that we do what we want (f * the rules and common sense), then more and more restrictions will come. Even then, we can still pretend that we don't accept the rules and common sense, but when one day there are no drones and model airplanes in stores, we can wrap it up completely.

And just one video on the Internet is enough for a provocation, and compele change in public attitude.

3-6 03:01
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules