Goggles 2 and Remote ID
4071 14 2023-7-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SMSalisbury
lvl.2
Flight distance : 231719 ft
United States

I'm about to pull the trigger and purchase the Goggles 2, but I do not own any other DJI products as of yet.  My plan is to use the O3 Air Units in RC planes and also drones.  Is there any concern or issue that DJI is going to lock the Goggles 2 down because it can't detect Remote ID as its not a DJI drone?  Also, will I have any problems activating the Goggles 2?  I've had others try to sway me over to Walksnail because of "potential" issues like these, but as long as there is no issue then I'd like to make the purchase.  

2023-7-31
Use props
SMSalisbury
lvl.2
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 7-31 17:44
I went through this a few months ago.  I ordered the Goggles 2 over the Integra because 1) I liked the increased FOV, 2) adjustable diopters, 3) included audio, & 4) I liked the option of using the DLNA feature to use them for things other than flying (even if I would probably never use the function).  

I quickly discovered that, as the Goggles 2 lack a GPS, you are forced to plug your phone into them in order to fly, even with drones like the Mini 3 Pro that do not require RID.  You will have both a battery wire & USB wire to contend with during flight.  I sent the Goggles 2 back & ordered the Goggles Integra instead.  The Integra goggles have an internal GPS so you don't need to deal with plugging in a phone, plus they turned out to be much more convenient with the built-in battery.  The FOV is slightly narrower but it isn't bad at all.  As to the lack of adjustable diopters, the Integra goggles include a complete set of diopter lenses.  Turns out for my eyes the screens are perfectly clear without even needing them.  Lastly, you save $150.

Thanks for the reply.  It would be ridiculous to be required to connect my phone and I'm not flying a DJI drone, but just using an O3 Air Unit.  I get what DJI is trying to do with Remote ID and their drones, but this is a different use  scenario and makes it too cumbersome.  For the most part I'll be flying at an AMA field which will have FRIA status and for the fields that are not FRIA I will have a Remote  ID module to be compliant, but forcing the googles with the phone is a bit of a stretch for me.  I would have the phone, battery and an external head tracking module with wires all hanging off of this thing.  Not to mention I keep reading about how uncomfortable the fit is.  I'm willing to take the chance.  It does sound like Integra might be the better option.  Seems like there might be a Goggles 2 V2.
2023-7-31
Use props
SMSalisbury
lvl.2
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 7-31 19:14
I do not believe the phone connection is required when connecting to an O3 Air Unit.  DJI is only forcing RID on their ready-to-fly aircraft.  User-built aircraft must supply their own RID modules.

For me the Goggles fit fine.  No complaints on comfort.  All depends on your face I guess?

Ok, that is good to know.  Thanks!
2023-7-31
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hello, SMSalisbury. Thank you for reaching out. What do you mean by lock down? For the activation, we advise to purchase it from DJI or any authorized stores to avoid any issues.

For the RID (with DJI Avata/DJI FPV), since the Goggles 2 does not have a GPS module, you are advised to connect your mobile phone to the goggles, please make sure the firmware version and app version has been updated to the latest. For mobile devices, it should allow the DJI Fly to obtain the location information and also needs to ensure that the DJI Fly app runs in the foreground. If you do not connect your mobile phone, you will not be able to take off (DJI Goggles Integra does not need to connect to a mobile device as it is with an internal GPS module). Please connect it before using the aircraft. For O3 units, we will confirm if you still need to connect the goggles to the phone. Thank you for your understanding.
2023-7-31
Use props
SMSalisbury
lvl.2
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 7-31 19:57
Hello, SMSalisbury. Thank you for reaching out. What do you mean by lock down? For the activation, we advise to purchase it from DJI or any authorized stores to avoid any issues.

For the RID (with DJI Avata/DJI FPV), since the Goggles 2 does not have a GPS module, you are advised to connect your mobile phone to the goggles, please make sure the firmware version and app version has been updated to the latest. For mobile devices, it should allow the DJI Fly to obtain the location information and also needs to ensure that the DJI Fly app runs in the foreground. If you do not connect your mobile phone, you will not be able to take off (DJI Goggles Integra does not need to connect to a mobile device as it is with an internal GPS module). Please connect it before using the aircraft. For O3 units, we will confirm if you still need to connect the goggles to the phone. Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you for the response.  I do not have a DJI drone.  I am planning on using the DJI Goggles with the O3 units in RC wings and airplanes for an FPV setup.   The site I am flying is a recognized FRIA site by the FAA and Remote ID is not required.  I am just wanting to make certain that there is not going to be other complications in setup and use from the DJI side before I make a heavy monetary investment.
2023-8-2
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

SMSalisbury Posted at 8-2 08:26
Thank you for the response.  I do not have a DJI drone.  I am planning on using the DJI Goggles with the O3 units in RC wings and airplanes for an FPV setup.   The site I am flying is a recognized FRIA site by the FAA and Remote ID is not required.  I am just wanting to make certain that there is not going to be other complications in setup and use from the DJI side before I make a heavy monetary investment.

Thank you for the reply, SMSalisbury. When DJI Goggles 2 is used with a DJI O3 Air unit, the Remote id function is not supported. The DJI O3 Air Unit does not have a built-in GPS module, so it does not support this function. There is no need to connect the mobile phone for RID compliance like when using Avata and FPV. Hope this helps.
2023-8-4
Use props
djiuser_A1m6DnKjwXiM
New
Flight distance : 49042 ft
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 8-4 22:35
Thank you for the reply, SMSalisbury. When DJI Goggles 2 is used with a DJI O3 Air unit, the Remote id function is not supported. The DJI O3 Air Unit does not have a built-in GPS module, so it does not support this function. There is no need to connect the mobile phone for RID compliance like when using Avata and FPV. Hope this helps.

1) why does the Mini 3 pro need one if using the stock battery? It is below the weight limit.
2) why doesn’t DJI make a GPS module for the goggles for the RID? This would solve so many issues, including returns on the goggles2
2023-10-19
Use props
Genetics 9
lvl.2

United States

Have you pulled the trigger ?
2023-11-14
Use props
Genetics 9
lvl.2

United States

I’m asking because I just did buy the goggles 2 and an 03 AU , I am incredibly disappointed due too the fact that there is no noticeable difference between the first generation HD goggles and the first AU’s ! Not to mention I find out the goggles 2 work with the Caddx and DJI AU’s , this is a total bummer as I wasted 250$ on an 03 AU. I will also mention the fit of the goggles 2 is absolutely heartbreaking, they literally smash your forehead and bridge of your nose , I am currently waiting for some aftermarket foams but at this point in the game I’m almost $900 into this newer setup and still don’t have a functioning platform for the AU 3 . It’s also unnerving they require connectivity for a sub 250g platform like the mavic mini 3 pro
2023-11-14
Use props
SMSalisbury
lvl.2
United States

Genetics 9 Posted at 11-14 09:43
I’m asking because I just did buy the goggles 2 and an 03 AU , I am incredibly disappointed due too the fact that there is no noticeable difference between the first generation HD goggles and the first AU’s ! Not to mention I find out the goggles 2 work with the Caddx and DJI AU’s , this is a total bummer as I wasted 250$ on an 03 AU. I will also mention the fit of the goggles 2 is absolutely heartbreaking, they literally smash your forehead and bridge of your nose , I am currently waiting for some aftermarket foams but at this point in the game I’m almost $900 into this newer setup and still don’t have a functioning platform for the AU 3 . It’s also unnerving they require connectivity for a sub 250g platform like the mavic mini 3 pro

I ended up buying a set of DJI Goggles V2 and paired them with a DJI O3 Air Unit. The combination works great.  I use them in an FPV RC plane. Below is a couple of video links of my setup in action.

2023-11-21
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

djiuser_A1m6DnKjwXiM Posted at 10-19 20:19
1) why does the Mini 3 pro need one if using the stock battery? It is below the weight limit.
2) why doesn’t DJI make a GPS module for the goggles for the RID? This would solve so many issues, including returns on the goggles2

Hi, there. Thank you for your query and sorry for the late notice. FAA regulations do not require users to register ≤0.55 lbs (250g) aircraft purely for recreational use, so such users are not required to comply with RID regulations. However, since the mini 3 series supports battery plus in the United States, the take-off weight of this model will exceed 0.55 pounds. Furthermore, the new DJI Goggles Integra has a built-in GPS module. Under the FAA RID regulations, no additional connection to the mobile phone is required for positioning information upload. I hope this answers your query. Thank you for your support.
2023-12-7
Use props
cwest
New

United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 7-31 19:57

How are we to keep the dji fly app running in the foreground? We have a controller in our hands and goggles over our eyes. I'm getting the feeling that this hasn't been thought through from a user experience perspective. I encourage dji reps to try out this configuration and see if it is as all practical to try to fly this way.
2023-12-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

cwest Posted at 12-15 11:31
How are we to keep the dji fly app running in the foreground? We have a controller in our hands and goggles over our eyes. I'm getting the feeling that this hasn't been thought through from a user experience perspective. I encourage dji reps to try out this configuration and see if it is as all practical to try to fly this way.

Hi, there. Thank you for your notice and sorry for the trouble that caused you. Rest assured that we've taken your feedback and forwarded it to our relevant team for awareness.
2023-12-18
Use props
djiuser_sMsHYVxOMZyN
lvl.1
Flight distance : 44564 ft

United States

I was considering buying the DJI Goggles 2 Combo for use with my DJI Mini 4 Pro.  However after reading that the Googles 2 do NOT have built-in GPS module, and thus require a continuous mobile phone connection to be RID-compliant, I'm not going to make the purchase.  I don't want this inconvenience and "clutter."

Why didn't DJI make the Goggles 2 self-contained (no mobile phone required) RID compliant by installing a GPS module in the unit as they did with their Goggles Integra??  This makes no sense and is very disappointing for USA users where we're required to be RID compliant above 255 grams.  Or am I missing something?
3-9 14:02
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_sMsHYVxOMZyN Posted at 3-9 14:02
I was considering buying the DJI Goggles 2 Combo for use with my DJI Mini 4 Pro.  However after reading that the Googles 2 do NOT have built-in GPS module, and thus require a continuous mobile phone connection to be RID-compliant, I'm not going to make the purchase.  I don't want this inconvenience and "clutter."

Why didn't DJI make the Goggles 2 self-contained (no mobile phone required) RID compliant by installing a GPS module in the unit as they did with their Goggles Integra??  This makes no sense and is very disappointing for USA users where we're required to be RID compliant above 255 grams.  Or am I missing something?

Hi there. We understand the inconvenience. The Goggles 2 was released before the RID regulation was implemented. To comply with the regulations, a phone needs to be connected to the goggles, it should allow the DJI Fly to obtain the location information. We appreciate your understanding.
3-9 23:58
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules