Mavic Mini Overheating Before Flight
1328 6 2023-8-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DGDroner
lvl.1

United States

Hi All,
When I turn my Mavic Mini drone on it immediatly overheats. My phone app will say the camera is overheating and will not take off. I havent flown it in a month or two. I had a small update when I booted up the app. I had a half charged, and a full battery charged and the same thing. I dont know it was an update that is making it do this as it was overheating in my hand before I even started the update.
Is there a reset to the drone system or a fix I can try?
Thanks!
2023-8-9
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Where is the drone being stored prior to turning on? The Mini series do not have internal fans and rely on the airflow from the propellors to cool the processor.

If the drone is sat out in the sun, then it's expected that it'll be too hot. A bit like when a phone is left in the sun and a temperature alert shows on screen.

Keep the drone indoors in a cool area and if the issue still happens when you switch it on, then raise a ticket with DJI as this is not normal.
2023-8-9
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Sorry for the trouble. The Mavic Mini does not have a fan, so it uses the heat sink on the bottom of the aircraft to dissipate heat. After the aircraft is powered on(about 15 min) and kept on a flat surface (such as ground or a desk) for a while, the heat dissipation will be affected, as the surface is close to the heat sink. In this case, the aircraft should be turned off and kept idle for a while to drop its temperature before using it again. Thank you for your understanding.
2023-8-9
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have you crashed the drone at all or covered the back of the camera housing with any thing?  I don't remember ever seeing a a message saying that any of my Mavic Minis are over heating  and certainly not that the camera is overheating.
What was the air temperature in your location at the time?

If this continues I'd either send the drone into DJI for repair or buy a second hand Mavic Mini and keep your existing Mavic Mini as a source of plastic parts.
2023-8-9
Use props
DGDroner
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for the comments.
I only keep it indoors in the case.
I have hit a branch about a year ago, but it has worked fine several times afterword's.
I take the sim card out to watch my videos on my laptop rather than watching them from the drone.
I haven't flown it in several months, so its been sitting. I can only think there was an update or something to the app that's triggering something internally. I am not able to even start the motor to create airflow.
I will keep trying to play with the settings and see if anything works. I'm just scared to keep it on for more than a couple minutes cause it gets hot immediately after turning it on.
2023-8-10
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DGDroner Posted at 8-10 17:56
Thanks for the comments.
I only keep it indoors in the case.
I have hit a branch about a year ago, but it has worked fine several times afterword's.

Mine stays on for 15-20 minutes sometimes without a warning. I've actually never had an overheat alert, but I am careful where I keep it to avoid it getting hot.

I think you need to send it in for repairs, as the overheat you're seeing after 1-2 minutes isn't normal based on how you're using it.
2023-8-11
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

DGDroner Posted at 8-10 17:56
Thanks for the comments.
I only keep it indoors in the case.

Hi there. Sorry for the late response. If the issue still persists after several attempts, I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis. You may submit a ticket case at https://repair.dji.com/repair/index . Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-8-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules