SD format error
2972 35 2023-9-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wim103
lvl.3

Netherlands

After formatting my SD card in the OSMO Action 4, I can download the files to the windows PC. But when I make new recordings after downloading, I can't download the files anymore. Windows says: Can't read SD card, must be formatted. In a linux PC, the files are still available, so it is Windows related.

I did 2 experiments:

Experiment 1
- Format in DJI OSMO Action 4
- Take a few recordings
- Download to windows PC, everything went well
- Disconnect from Windows PC
- take a new recording
- Download to Windows PC ---> I get a message "can't read, SD must be formatted"
- Download to Linux PC ---> everything went well
This can be repeated and the behavior is always the same.

Experiment 2
- Format SD card in Windows PC, exfat 128kB (I have 128GB SD card)
- Take a few recordings
- Download to windows PC, everything went well
- Disconnect from Windows PC
- take a new recording
- Download to Windows PC ---> now everything went well
- I made new recordings a few times and downloaded files to PC, no error, this is the desired behavior.

On my Linux PC, I also can view and copy the files in all circumstances (experiment 1  and 2), as well as on the DJI mimo app.

My conclusion: there is an error in the format SD command in the OSMO Action 4

2023-9-2
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, wim103. Thank you for reaching out. May we ask about the specific microSD card that you are using with Action 4?
2023-9-2
Use props
wim103
lvl.3

Netherlands

DJI Gamora Posted at 9-2 09:27
Hi, wim103. Thank you for reaching out. May we ask about the specific microSD card that you are using with Action 4?

Recordings always are without error (testing for 3 days with a lot of sort clips, different modes (full HD, 4K)
2023-9-2
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Different computers running Win and Linux?
Could be the cardreader that is faulty.
2023-9-2
Use props
wim103
lvl.3

Netherlands

johansenfoto Posted at 9-2 10:22
Different computers running Win and Linux?
Could be the cardreader that is faulty.

Yes, I have a windows 11 PC, laptop windows 11 en laptop Ubuntu (three different devices).

Cardreader is not the problem. When putting the SD card in a cardreader, the Windows computers say: cant't read, you must format SD card first" (same behaviour as connecting the Action 4).

But the Linux PC can always read the SD card.
2023-9-2
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

wim103 Posted at 9-2 10:28
Yes, I have a windows 11 PC, laptop windows 11 en laptop Ubuntu (three different devices).

Cardreader is not the problem. When putting the SD card in a cardreader, the Windows computers say: cant't read, you must format SD card first" (same behaviour as connecting the Action 4).

Sounds more like windows problem. Not sure if you tried another card, but try it if you can.
2023-9-2
Use props
wim103
lvl.3

Netherlands

johansenfoto Posted at 9-2 13:20
Sounds more like windows problem. Not sure if you tried another card, but try it if you can.

I have no other card, but it sounds NOT like a windows problem.

Just downloaded new Firmware Version: v01.02.06.10.

The problem still exists. After formatting in Action 4 you can take recordings and download them to a windows PC. When you make a recording again, Windows PC says: card must be formatted. When connecting to a Linux PC, all is ok. In the DJI Mimo it also works.

When formatting the card on a windows PC: everything is ok, you can download the files, make new recordings and download them too. Also on Linux PC and DJI Mimo app all is ok.
2023-9-8
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

wim103 Posted at 9-8 00:24
I have no other card, but it sounds NOT like a windows problem.

Just downloaded new Firmware Version: v01.02.06.10.

Remember to always format the card in the camera to be sure.

Try not to format the card and just delete the files for a while to see if it works better.
2023-9-8
Use props
wim103
lvl.3

Netherlands

johansenfoto Posted at 9-8 00:27
Remember to always format the card in the camera to be sure.

Try not to format the card and just delete the files for a while to see if it works better.

As I wrote several times, formatting the card in the camera does not work.
2023-9-8
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

format full o nthe actual computer the camera does not have a thorough sd  format system
2023-9-8
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm not using the same SD card, but a sandisk extreme 256 GB card. With latest firmware on my A4. Copied what I had already recorded to M1 Macbook Air. Put card back in A4. Formatted card. Made 2 recordings. Inserted card into card reader and back into mackbook. Copied recordings to macbook no issues.  Not sure what the issue is with your setup, but you have something going on for sure. I would suspect the SD card myself, but it may not be that. Thats just where I would start.
2023-9-8
Use props
wim103
lvl.3

Netherlands

JodyB Posted at 9-8 03:29
I'm not using the same SD card, but a sandisk extreme 256 GB card. With latest firmware on my A4. Copied what I had already recorded to M1 Macbook Air. Put card back in A4. Formatted card. Made 2 recordings. Inserted card into card reader and back into mackbook. Copied recordings to macbook no issues.  Not sure what the issue is with your setup, but you have something going on for sure. I would suspect the SD card myself, but it may not be that. Thats just where I would start.

Now I have a Sandisk extreme 128GB V30 A2. Formatted the SD card in the OSMO Action 4. Behaviour is exactly the same. You can make a lot of recordings and download them to the Windows PC. So far so good. But if you disconnect the Action4 from the PC (save removed) and you take 1 additional recording, then you can't download the files to the PC. SD card must be formatted says Windows.

After formatting the SD card in the PC, all works well, also after downloading and also after adding new records.

I tested this on 2 different Windows PC's with 3 SD cards, behaviour always the same, so it is not the SD card, nor the PC.

DJI please fix this error.
2023-9-17
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6562 ft
United States

wim103 Posted at 9-17 07:06
Now I have a Sandisk extreme 128GB V30 A2. Formatted the SD card in the OSMO Action 4. Behaviour is exactly the same. You can make a lot of recordings and download them to the Windows PC. So far so good. But if you disconnect the Action4 from the PC (save removed) and you take 1 additional recording, then you can't download the files to the PC. SD card must be formatted says Windows.

After formatting the SD card in the PC, all works well, also after downloading and also after adding new records.

Since others aren't seeing this, sounds like an issue with your camera.
2023-9-17
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

I agree it seems like it is a bug with your unit, send it to dji repair center in NL.
2023-9-17
Use props
wim103
lvl.3

Netherlands

johansenfoto Posted at 9-17 12:38
I agree it seems like it is a bug with your unit, send it to dji repair center in NL.

Thanks for your answer, I will do that.
2023-9-17
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

wim103 Posted at 9-17 12:42
Thanks for your answer, I will do that.

Since you are also in NL, it will go fast.
Please update us later on.

https://repair.dji.com/no/repair/index
2023-9-17
Use props
Danoh
New

United States

You're not the only one seeing this issue.  It happens to me exactly as you describe it as well.
2023-9-18
Use props
wim103
lvl.3

Netherlands

Danoh Posted at 9-18 15:50
You're not the only one seeing this issue.  It happens to me exactly as you describe it as well.

Danoh, thanks for your message, it's little consolation, but now I know I'm not the only one and I hope DJI can solve the problem.

Yesterday I went to the store and discussed my problem about the DJI Action 4. My Action 4 has been taken by the seller, he sends it to DJI and I get a new one. Unfortunately temporarily sold out.
2023-9-18
Use props
djiuser_SeIUhHRUIIJQ
New
United Kingdom

Hello. I’ve had my Pocket 2 fora few months but haven’t used it because it worked ok for one day then started with a sd card error. I did everything to correct it.  It works for one shot then stops. I’ve formatted it and still it doesn’t work
Using Sandisk Extreme Plus U3 128GB Sd cards. Pocket 2 says change SD card, remove and reinstall SD takes care of it sometimes, most of the time continues with error and I cannot use the Pocket 2. I have tried multiple cards so it's not the card.
I feel as though I’ve wasted allot of money
2023-9-20
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_SeIUhHRUIIJQ Posted at 9-20 09:40
Hello. I’ve had my Pocket 2 fora few months but haven’t used it because it worked ok for one day then started with a sd card error. I did everything to correct it.  It works for one shot then stops. I’ve formatted it and still it doesn’t work
Using Sandisk Extreme Plus U3 128GB Sd cards. Pocket 2 says change SD card, remove and reinstall SD takes care of it sometimes, most of the time continues with error and I cannot use the Pocket 2. I have tried multiple cards so it's not the card.
I feel as though I’ve wasted allot of money

Hello. I'm sorry about the experience. Please try these steps and see if it will help:
1. Please ensure that the firmware has been updated to the latest version.
2. Please back up the files on the SD card and then format the microSD card.
3. Please mount this microSD card to another device, such as a computer or mobile phone, and determine if it can be read (If not, it might indicate that the microSD card has been damaged).
5. If it still has this issue after trying the above methods and replacing another microSD card that is on the recommended microSD card list.

Please keep me posted. Have a great day ahead.
2023-9-21
Use props
wim103
lvl.3

Netherlands

Today, september 22 i got my new Action 4 camera, really its another one, different serial number.

Uploading videos to the Windows PC went well the first time, the 2nd and 3rd time as well. I thought the problem was no longer there.

Unfortunately,after making the next video, the message came again: "can't read SD card, you must format it". On my Linux PC I still can upload the recordings. in the DJI Mimo App I can also see the recordings as well, and of course also on the Action 4.

Now I formatted the SD card om my Windows PC. Now it seems everything works well. I can make recordings, upload them add new recordings and also upload them.
So windows users: ALWAYS format your SD card with your Windows PC.

2 Action 4 with the same error tested on 3 different windows PC's (10 and 11) with the same results.

Dear DJI people, please fix this error and please write in the forum you have read it and that you fix this error.
2023-9-22
Use props
fans2cd5c969
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

This is also happening to me.  I have had tried with a 128GB Sandisk Extreme, 256 Sandisk Extreme, and a Samsung 256 Pro Plus.  I formatted the cards in the DJI OSMO 4, after one or two recordings, the device no longer recognizes the card and says SD card format is not recognized.
2023-11-12
Use props
FfoSuy
lvl.3

Singapore

Just to share my sd card issue encounter. I had a problem when I took out the SD card (to do a file transfer) right after shutting the camera. The card becomes corrupted and I was unable to access it in Windows and was informed to format the card. Running "chkdsk /f" command in command prompt fix the card and I was able to access all the files after that...phew! However, if I give the camera more than a few seconds delay after shutting it down and removing the card, the issue no longer occurs. I am not sure if you have this problem under the same scenario.

Prior to this, I was using H2testw software to check my SDcard and it destructively delete the partition and I was unable to fix it using the camera's card format utility. It was unable to access the sd card, even though I had formatted it correctly in Windows. Fortunately, I have a Canon R7 camera which has no issues detecting the card and I performed low level format using the built-in camera's format utility.

I hope DJI will be able to fix these 2 issues:
1. Put in a delay or turn off card access during the power shutdown to avoid removing the card before it is fully powered down.
2. Put in a low level card formatting capability like what Go Pro and Canon cameras can do.

Thanks!

2023-11-13
Use props
djiuser_jxlhkymbEmCh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 543169 ft
Germany

Same problem here!
I bought my action 4 yesterday, so actual firmware was updated through mimo. First transfer of data after formatting is without any problems. Camera (SDcard) safe removed an recorded another video. When connecting again to my PC: "can't read SD card, you must format it".
When i insert the sdcard in an external cardreader to connect to my pc it works withour problems and shows all data on it.
Should it really be the solution to format the sdcard after every single transfer...I can´t believe that.

SDcard is: SanDisk Extreme 128GB XC1 V30 U3 A2

PS: I formatted the sdcard on my pc and for the moment everything seems to be ok......let´s wait what next days will happen.
2023-11-17
Use props
FfoSuy
lvl.3

Singapore

djiuser_jxlhkymbEmCh Posted at 11-17 08:58
Same problem here!
I bought my action 4 yesterday, so actual firmware was updated through mimo. First transfer of data after formatting is without any problems. Camera (SDcard) safe removed an recorded another video. When connecting again to my PC: "can't read SD card, you must format it".
When i insert the sdcard in an external cardreader to connect to my pc it works withour problems and shows all data on it.

There are 2 different issues, and one of them is what you have highlighted.
1) 1st issue: Card format not readable (by camera) after removal from camera, but can be read by card reader under windows.
Try to delay removing the card (may be around 5 to 10 seconds) after you shut down the camera to prevent card corruption. I have no more problems after doing this.
If you have data on the card, but still can't read them in Windows, try running "chkdsk /f drive letter:"  under command prompt as administrator. This should fix the card corruption and your files should be accessible after that in camera.

2) 2nd issue: Card still cannot be detected in Action 4 after formatting it in Windows. I will also suggest using another device e.g. another camera e.g. dslr, mirrorless which can do low level formatting to correctly format the sd card. As mentioned before, I had a problem where the sd card can be read in windows, but failed to read/ get detected on Action 4. Only formatting the card using my Canon R7 resolved the issue where formatting it in Windows failed. This was my mistake as I had run a destructive format utility to check if my sdcard is legit, and reformatting it in Windows could not restore the card's format properly.
DJI should have a low level formatting feature.

2023-11-23
Use props
Teddy65
lvl.3
Flight distance : 543169 ft
Germany

After formatting sdcard in windows (NOT fast format!) everything is still fine ....actually no more problems
2023-11-24
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Teddy65 Posted at 11-24 17:19
After formatting sdcard in windows (NOT fast format!) everything is still fine ....actually no more problems

Hello, there. Thank you for the update and we're glad to know that everything has been sorted out. We apologize for the trouble that it may have caused you.
2023-11-25
Use props
Michael Fink
lvl.1
United States

Having a similar problem, SanDisk 256GB Extreme microSDXC UHS-1 - SDSQXAV-256G-GN6MA

Format the card in the camera, no problem.   Do some recordings, then connect to a Windows PC, I see them.   Pull off the recordings, disconnect from the PC ("ejecting" the card in Windows does not change the behavior), then plug back in, drive isn't recognized.   Pull the card out and put it in a reader; device not recognized.   

Wondering if this is a problem with the SanDisk cards?   They are super popular, so, if that's what it is, hopefully DJI can fix it with some firmware.   

The recordings are there, you can pull them down with a phone wirelessly, but if you connect the camera, the drive shows "raw" and needs to be formatted.   If you pull the card out and put it in an external reader, same thing, shows "raw".   The camera can read the card and show the videos or download them from the camera to a phone.

Something odd is going on, either in general or just with that card.   I have dozens of cameras and have never had an issue with a card that I couldn't read either in the camera or in a reader.   
3-15 02:45
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Have you tried searching the net for this problem? There are endless results about Windows having issues with reading micro/SD cards . Registry issues, device driver issues, corrupted drivers, etc. Anyone using a Mac having issues like this?
3-15 03:24
Use props
Michael Fink
lvl.1
United States

I've not searched, but I have many, many SD and microSD cards that I use in various applications.   Cameras (mostly SD), drones (almost all MicroSD), tablets (microSD), phones (micro SD).   I've just always used the Sandisk Extreme series, they've been good for my applications; up to this point, I've never had one that was corrupted or honestly gave me any difficulty at all.   

I've got a replacement for the Extreme coming, as well as an Extreme Pro (which is one that DJI recommends in their short list of microSD cards), so I'll try both and see if there's an issue with the particular card I have (which I think is unlikely, that card is fine until I put it in the Osmo, I've recorded 100's of hours of video to it in other cameras), a compatibility issue with that card and the Osmo (most likely, IMHO), or a more systemic issue with the Osmo (if I get the same problem with the Extreme Pro, something isn't right with the camera).   

My guess is that this is something on DJI's side; but, for now, that's just a guess.   The SanDisk Extreme is probably the world's best selling microSD card, would be really odd for the Osmo to have an issue with that card as it's SO common.   If it is a card/camera compatibility thing, DJI should update their docs to reflect that the Extreme is known to have problems, that would save a lot of people a lot of hassle.   

I can reproduce this issue at will, so, if someone from DJI would like to see the symptoms, happy to make a video of it.   Or, alternately, if the Extreme Pro solves the problem, I'll be happy to send in the Extreme version that's causing the issue so they can investigate and resolve it.
3-15 04:47
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

That's why I use cardreader for my computer.
3-15 04:57
Use props
Michael Fink
lvl.1
United States

Just to be clear, I have several card readers for my computer, I've tried them all; USB 2, 3; one that's PCI connected.   All show the same problem.   The Osmo is doing something to the card that makes it appear "raw" when placed in a card reader.   The only way I can get any footage at all is by connecting directly to the camera and letting it act as my "reader".   
3-15 05:12
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

I have a Mac so unfortunately I can't check it on Windows, but I also use a SanDisk Extreme 64GB since I have purchased the camera in September 2022 (albeit mine is an OA3). I never had an issue with it so far. So on the Mac the OA3 seems to be doing just fine with this card.
3-15 06:15
Use props
areilly
lvl.1

United States

Ran into the same issue.

tl;dr: do a full format of the card (exFAT for most larger cards now) in the Mac or PC and you should be fine.

This does appear to be an issue with the way DJI's in-camera formatting works - I haven't gone deep enough with disk analysis tools to get specifics, but the camera appears to be doing some variant of a "quick format" which really just wipes the file index and doesn't actually reformat the card, and leaves it in some non-standard state that some devices have difficulty reading. I tested this on Mac and Windows machines with multiple card readers, and it was consistent with all combinations. Once a full exFAT format is done on a Mac or PC you can use the in-camera "format" and not break Mac/PC compatibility.

all 3 of the cards I saw the issue with had been previously used in a camera from another brand, so one guess is that DJI and the other device might have had slightly different formats, like cluster sizes, so if the card was originally formatted elsewhere and then formatted in the DJI device it would leave it in the state that causes these issues.
3-19 07:16
Use props
caskolkm
New

Netherlands

A full format of the card (exfat) via my mac, also fixes the problem for me with my brand new DJI Osmo Action 3.

Looks like the format function of the osmo action is broken.
4-3 21:26
Use props
djiuser_gXQuQs2ds9V4
New

Philippines

Hi, so I just got my new dji OA 4 and I experienced what you’ve shared here.

My first time using the OA 4 was great, however, when I tried to transfer the footages using my laptop I observed that some footages are missing. (Maybe because my software was not yet updated).

So I update the OA 4 software and reformat my sd card.

I tried doing some test footages. When I use a card reader for my sd card it says that “sd card needs to be reformat before use”. So all my test footages are gone.

This time I use a cable from my OA 4 to my laptop then hit reformat.

I again tried to make a 2nd test footage. But this time, everything works fine. Seems like your 2nd trial.

I’ll make a 3rd test footage and test again the file transferring using a cable (not card reader) and keep you posted guys.
4-4 05:38
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules