Swelling batteries
602 12 2023-9-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Snoopy70
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4762470 ft
Canada

So I've done a search in this forum about swelling batteries, but nothing comes up, surprisingly.
Anyways, I've owned my Mini 2 for over 2 1/2 years with the same batteries. Just over 100 cycles.  Lately I've noticed the batteries swelling when I run them long (over 12 minutes or so) and they get quite warm. +30C. They're tight pulling out of the drone, and tight putting into the charger. I never charge them immediately after using.
They are quite expensive here in Canada, ~$80 after taxes.
Anybody have suggestions on how to deal with this? Besides disposing?
I was hoping to get the ~200 cycles DJI advertises.
2023-9-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, may I ask when the battery cools down to room temperature, will the swelling disappear? During usage, are there any battery warnings shown in the app?
2023-9-9
Use props
Snoopy70
Second Officer
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 9-9 02:27
Hi there, may I ask when the battery cools down to room temperature, will the swelling disappear? During usage, are there any battery warnings shown in the app?

The swelling does go down after cooling, but still shows a bit. One of the batteries does show more than the other 2.
I get no warnings (yet) about overheating.
2023-9-9
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 474537 ft
United States

Battery over time will swell. Battery left fully charge for long period will swell. Battery charing too fast will swell. Battery getting too hot will swell. Battery ain't last you forever. Could be many things that cause it.

As for mini 2 Battery, $80? Lmao time to move to the good old America. Here it's like $20 for used and $35, for new. I would replace it if you having problems. It won't just go away.
2023-9-9
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
Flight distance : 5099718 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI has stated that swelling is a normal part of battery aging but still can be used. I have seen issues where the swelling can pop the battery right out of the drone in mid flight but that's on the top loading drones. I would start looking to replace if you like your drone. A battery is cheaper than a new drone. Do you have a friend that can order for you in the states?
2023-9-9
Use props
Snoopy70
Second Officer
Canada

djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC Posted at 9-9 05:53
Battery over time will swell. Battery left fully charge for long period will swell. Battery charing too fast will swell. Battery getting too hot will swell. Battery ain't last you forever. Could be many things that cause it.

As for mini 2 Battery, $80? Lmao time to move to the good old America. Here it's like $20 for used and $35, for new. I would replace it if you having problems. It won't just go away.

$35 new? Got a link? The ones I see are $55 USnew, which converts to $75CAD, so after taxes it’s basically the same.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
2023-9-9
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 474537 ft
United States

Snoopy70 Posted at 9-9 08:25
$35 new? Got a link? The ones I see are $55 USnew, which converts to $75CAD, so after taxes it’s basically the same.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
New is $34.99 shipping $3.79. Still cheaping than freaking $80.

Why need new. Dji sell refub for $26.99 free shipping. Best deal imo. Its from dji. Anything wrong you can contact them.
Screenshot_20230909_180834_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230909_180855_Chrome.jpg
2023-9-9
Use props
Snoopy70
Second Officer
Canada

djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC Posted at 9-9 17:11
New is $34.99 shipping $3.79. Still cheaping than freaking $80.

Why need new. Dji sell refub for $26.99 free shipping. Best deal imo. Its from dji. Anything wrong you can contact them.

Thanks for the information, but unfortunately here in Canada we have to pay import fees, exchange rates, and more taxes. After all is said and done, there’s no deal to be had.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Think I’ll just buy a new battery and cycle it in with the other 3.
The originals are still usable, but posts had me worried that I should dispose of them asap when swelling appears. I’ll just try to use them to <50% at least in warm weather.
Thanks to all replies.
2023-9-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Snoopy70 Posted at 9-9 04:00
The swelling does go down after cooling, but still shows a bit. One of the batteries does show more than the other 2.
I get no warnings (yet) about overheating.

Sorry for the late reply. Due to the chemical properties of lithium ions, the capacity and performance of the battery gradually decrease with use over time. However, the battery life can be extended if maintained properly. For details on why the batteries become swollen and how to avoid over-discharging, please check out: https://repair.dji.com/help/cont ... p;re=ID&lang=en
2023-9-19
Use props
djiuser_2ROeiXmHiZ43
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I don't think there is any safe way to fix the swelling.
I would love to know if anyone has managed to get 200 cycles out of their batteries without them swelling or failing.  I have only managed 30 cycles out of mine on an Air 2s and  all 3 are swelling. At £105 each this equates to £3.50 per flight. I really wish I hadn't purchased 3 batteries since it will now cost £315. DJI customer support won't replace them since they are out of warranty. Very disappointed as I expected Lithium batteries to last much longer. It makes me question the quality of the product when I have other much much cheaper lithium batteries that are still working 15 years after purchase with no signs of swelling.
4-26 07:59
Use props
Snoopy70
Second Officer
Canada

djiuser_2ROeiXmHiZ43 Posted at 4-26 07:59
I don't think there is any safe way to fix the swelling.
I would love to know if anyone has managed to get 200 cycles out of their batteries without them swelling or failing.  I have only managed 30 cycles out of mine on an Air 2s and  all 3 are swelling. At £105 each this equates to £3.50 per flight. I really wish I hadn't purchased 3 batteries since it will now cost £315. DJI customer support won't replace them since they are out of warranty. Very disappointed as I expected Lithium batteries to last much longer. It makes me question the quality of the product when I have other much much cheaper lithium batteries that are still working 15 years after purchase with no signs of swelling.

I agree on the frustration. I’ve had my 3 batteries for over 3 years, @ ~120 cycles now, so should be more life left.
Here in Canada they cost +$80 after tax.
4-26 13:16
Use props
Snoopy70
Second Officer
Canada

Snoopy70 Posted at 4-26 13:16
I agree on the frustration. I’ve had my 3 batteries for over 3 years, @ ~120 cycles now, so should be more life left.
Here in Canada they cost +$80 after tax.

Here in Canada they cost +$80 plus tax.
You'd think DJI would honour the 200 cycles with some kind of trade in program.
Everything else works great.
4-26 13:21
Use props
djiuser_2ROeiXmHiZ43
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks for your reply. I agree, crazy prices for a small battery and I really didn't expect to have to replace them so soon. Imagine if an electric vehicle battery only lasted 30 charges before requiring replacement.
Clearly there is an underlying design fault which DJI will not admit to. On the Air 2s I have noticed the area directly beneath the battery becomes very hot when the drone is in use and the heat spreads to the battery. The issue is not helped by the wafer thin materials used both on the battery pack and in the battery bay. I strongly suspect this heat causes the swelling and potential premature failure of the batteries.
What's more concerning is that the swelling is considered dangerous. As a precaution I have now moved my drone batteries to the garage which has a fire supression system.
It has certainly put me off buying another DJI drone.

4-28 08:47
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules