Weird Artifacts in DaVinci Resolve/Premiere (Sepia/Tint)
1196 13 2023-9-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JedenastaScena
lvl.1

Poland

Hi, I just bought Osmo Action 4 and did some test shooting on a hiking trip. The original clip plays just fine, but when I tried to edit some footage in DaVinci Resolve I noticed weird artifacts occurring randomly. Half of the screen goes sepia or gets some tint.

It's visible here:

Original Clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1_ni-2Ur0A
DaVinci: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeKszLjEDhw

There are a number of occurrences, but the easiest to see are in 10 minutes and 45 seconds (basically the end of the clip). Those artifacts are visible right after loading the Osmo Action clip into DaVinci Resolve, even if I don't do any color grading.

EDIT: Just downloaded Premiere Elements Trial and the effect is exactly the same. Exact same artifacts in exact same moments.

Any idea what might cause this? Does my Osmo Action have some defect?
2023-9-12
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

It is your computer/codec that cause this. Maybe your graphic card?

As long as the original video is fine, then it is no problem with the camera itself.

2023-9-12
Use props
Eikyu
lvl.2
Japan

Seems to be it's Davinci Resolve decoder problem of the video format, as long as the original file looks fine, that means it's DR fault, maybe you can re-encode the video using Handbrake and see if that solves it.
2023-9-12
Use props
JedenastaScena
lvl.1

Poland

Eikyu Posted at 9-12 07:06
Seems to be it's Davinci Resolve decoder problem of the video format, as long as the original file looks fine, that means it's DR fault, maybe you can re-encode the video using Handbrake and see if that solves it.

It can't be just DR, because same thing happens in Premiere Elements. Also this does not look like a typical GPU artifact.

Anyway, what I did was rename LRF files into MP4 and discovered that there's no problem with them after loading into DaVinci. LRFs are H264 not 265 so I switched into 8 bit color and h264 and recorded some test footage. And there was no problem at all.

So it seems like a codec problem? This is kind of weird, because I use original Microsoft HVEC codec (the infamous one you have to pay 0.99$ for).
2023-9-12
Use props
Eikyu
lvl.2
Japan

JedenastaScena Posted at 9-12 07:15
It can't be just DR, because same thing happens in Premiere Elements. Also this does not look like a typical GPU artifact.

[view_image]

if that's the case then maybe it's the MS HEVC codec is doing wrong, but I never encountered on my side, so that might be also a GPU/CPU decode issues, if that doesn't happen in Handbrake 10bit encode then it's the HEVC codec that is giving you issues. but I cannot tell that much because on my side I never encounter that issues with my hardware nor software.
2023-9-12
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Buy Davinci Resolve Studio so it will have native h.265 support among a lot more.
2023-9-12
Use props
ivan1973
New

Singapore

Had the same problem and manage to find the root cause. I believe you are using DaVinci Resolve free version + D-Log (10bit). This artifact is cause by DaVinci Resolve in ability to resolve some 10 bit video. I switched to the paid Studio version and the problem is gone. So solution is: 1) use the DaVinci Resolve Studio Version 2) dont use 10 bit. Hope it helps.
1-7 19:45
Use props
R4Dives
lvl.2
Maldives

ivan1973 Posted at 1-7 19:45
Had the same problem and manage to find the root cause. I believe you are using DaVinci Resolve free version + D-Log (10bit). This artifact is cause by DaVinci Resolve in ability to resolve some 10 bit video. I switched to the paid Studio version and the problem is gone. So solution is: 1) use the DaVinci Resolve Studio Version 2) dont use 10 bit. Hope it helps.

That's hardly a solution. DJI have to look into it asap.
1-17 19:54
Use props
sebchang
lvl.1

France

Not sure if it's the same issue, but it reminds me of an issue I had with DaVinci Resolve exports in h265, which ended up having to do with hardware acceleration.
I don't have the rights to post the link here but you can search for a post named "Glitches when exporting to H265/HEVC ?" on the blackmagic forums, it may be worth a try.
I can PM the link too if somebody wants it.
1-22 06:05
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

R4Dives Posted at 1-17 19:54
That's hardly a solution. DJI have to look into it asap.

It's not DJI problem if free version of Resolve can't deal with 10 bit.
I'm also wondering if SD card might be involved though.
1-22 11:17
Use props
jbrujah
lvl.1

Germany

It's not a DJI problem and I don't think it's a Resolve Free problem, well directly at least. With resolve free, on Windows 10, you need to use an HEVC codec, otherwise it just doesn't work (media offline message). I  tried it on two different computers, both AMD cpus (but not the same), Windows 10 and DaVince Resolve Free. Both had the Microsoft HVEC codec installed, again different versions, and the same clip was showing the same artifacts, exactly like yours, at the same time ranges. But playing with the default Windows player or any other player would show the videos playing perfectly fine. As soon as I bought the Studio version of DaVinci, with its own HEVC driver, hardware accelerate and all, the errors were gone in the same video. So I can only assume the problem is somewhere between the Microsoft HEVC codec and the free version of resolve, or maybe even the Nvidia Driver, who knows. Not a great solution I know, but I wanted DaVinci Studio anyway so for me it was the solution.
1-25 11:33
Use props
JedenastaScena
lvl.1

New Zealand

jbrujah Posted at 1-25 11:33
It's not a DJI problem and I don't think it's a Resolve Free problem, well directly at least. With resolve free, on Windows 10, you need to use an HEVC codec, otherwise it just doesn't work (media offline message). I  tried it on two different computers, both AMD cpus (but not the same), Windows 10 and DaVince Resolve Free. Both had the Microsoft HVEC codec installed, again different versions, and the same clip was showing the same artifacts, exactly like yours, at the same time ranges. But playing with the default Windows player or any other player would show the videos playing perfectly fine. As soon as I bought the Studio version of DaVinci, with it's own HEVC driver, hardware accelerate and all, the errors were gone in the same video. So I can only assume the problem is somewhere between the Microsoft HEVC codec and the free version of resolve, or maybe even the Nvidia Driver, who knows.

Thank you for sharing. At least it's good to know that my Osmo Action and PC are OK :-)
1-25 11:36
Use props
djiuser_576wWI3AbZmV
New
Switzerland

Hi JedenastaScena,

I'm facing the same issue, did you end up finding what the issue was?

KR
2-22 12:45
Use props
Reiner.
lvl.4
Germany

djiuser_576wWI3AbZmV Posted at 2-22 12:45
Hi JedenastaScena,

I'm facing the same issue, did you end up finding what the issue was?

If you use the Free version: that is the issue.
2-22 22:17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules