9567 116 2023-9-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ms Ivy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20369816 ft
United States

LV_Forestry Posted at 9-28 09:25
Yes I understand.  But drones other than the Mini series are not impacted if we refer to what the DJI Paladin admin ruled in this thread or another on the same subject.

So, no worries.

My concern is will that policies for the bigger drones follow the 249 grams drones in the near future and come in a pre loaded sneaked in a update , because my Mavic3 keeps asking me to update the fly app & firmware to support the mini4 as I menetioned on the the mavic forum https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=278422&page=7#pid3139262
2023-9-28
Use props
Ms Ivy
Second Officer
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 9-28 09:32
Ms_Ivy, apart from LV_Forestry's point about the drone models concerned, the discussion relates to drone usage in the EU and not USA so there's a second reassurance for you.

I understand totally  I agree I am very fortunate to live in the United States  but i am one of those nuts that I believe in every conspiracy ,ledgions and lie's..

I think I will adopted a wait a while  and see what others experience before updating anything attitude. I really can afford a 120m restriction on my drone, its  bad enough when LANCC dictates my flight restrictions. one of the things about  G airspace freedom   
2023-9-28
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Ms Ivy Posted at 9-28 09:41
My concern is will that policies for the bigger drones follow the 249 grams drones in the near future and come in a pre loaded sneaked in a update , because my Mavic3 keeps asking me to update the fly app & firmware to support the mini4 as I menetioned on the the mavic forum https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=278422&page=7#pid3139262

rule Number 1 for DJI user all around the world :

If everything works correctly and the update does not contain a legal function (e.g. remote ID), do not update.
2023-9-28
Use props
Ms Ivy
Second Officer
United States

LV_Forestry Posted at 9-28 10:15
rule Number 1 for DJI user all around the world :

If everything works correctly and the update does not contain a legal function (e.g. remote ID), do not update.

Good Rule to remember.
2023-9-28
Use props
nightfly
lvl.4

Romania

the 120m height limit was removed
2023-9-28
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Would be hilarious if DJI released the limitation in the January software at the same time they release Waypoints for Mini 3.  That would be wrong.  
2023-9-28
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Japan

Bigplumbs Posted at 9-27 21:14
What on earth is an official DJI employee. Cos DJI never get it wrong or give bad advice do they

DJI give out drones for review.
Part of that package is access to spokesman to give answers to queries and state the official company line.

Which is what happened here.  Its an official statement by an employee who, unlike the forums, is assigned the role of answering queries to advance reviewers and who they designate partners.

Its not a random he found on the internet.
2023-9-28
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Japan

Bigplumbs Posted at 9-27 21:18
Another very good reason not to buy new drones and not to update.

DJI please be aware that the U.K. is not an EASA country and stop being the drone police it is not your place to do that

You clearly havent read or responded to the latest CAA proposals or consultation documents.
2023-9-28
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Japan

LV_Forestry Posted at 9-28 09:25
Yes I understand.  But drones other than the Mini series are not impacted if we refer to what the DJI Paladin admin ruled in this thread or another on the same subject.

So, no worries.

This is specifically for C0 certification.

So any drone not C certified wont have this.
2023-9-28
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Japan

The Saint Posted at 9-28 11:47
Would be hilarious if DJI released the limitation in the January software at the same time they release Waypoints for Mini 3.  That would be wrong.

They do have form for this, introduce new features in with bad ones (such as no roll back etc) .
2023-9-28
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LV_Forestry Posted at 9-27 22:22
Go read the text he linked. DJI didn't invent anything, the law imposes a maximum restriction of 120m from the takeoff point for category C0. That's all !

And your point is. As I keep trying to tell you the law is for the user to comply with not for others to force compliance. Please try your very best to understand. You might need to think a little
2023-9-28
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LV_Forestry Posted at 9-28 08:51
945 is the technical part, manufacturer, importer, sellers.

947 this is the part which concerns the operations (use) of the drone by its end user.

You simply don’t understand do you. How come Autel don’t do this
2023-9-28
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

Bigplumbs Posted at 9-28 20:01
You simply don’t understand do you. How come Autel don’t do this

Come on, let's stop talking, troll... We want sources.
2023-9-28
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

Bigplumbs Posted at 9-28 20:00
And your point is. As I keep trying to tell you the law is for the user to comply with not for others to force compliance. Please try your very best to understand. You might need to think a little

Don't be ridiculous.  Copy and paste Section 2 article 6 of the document linked below.  And explain to everyone how you arrive at your current point of view.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A32019R0945#d1e1175-1-1
2023-9-28
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Ms Ivy Posted at 9-27 19:37
Will The Air 3  be capped at 120m as well?

Hi. Currently, this law is only applicable to the C0 class drones which the DJI Mini 4 Pro is included. The DJI Air 3 belongs to the C1 class. Hope this helps. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-9-29
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Bigplumbs Posted at 9-27 21:17
You don’t say where the 120 m is measured from

This measure has been introduced by the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) to allow safe flight operations for drones weighing less than 250 grams. In accordance with the same European Drone Regulation. Hope this helps. Have a nice day ahead.
2023-9-29
Use props
A1C
Second Officer
Flight distance : 40909 ft
  • >>>
United States

That's funny.  And sadly probably true.
2023-9-29
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 9-27 23:01
Paladin, will "all other currently-available drones of the DJI Mini series (e.g. Mini 2 SE, Mini 3, Mini 3 Pro) " also apply to the Mini 2 and Mini SE which, at least in theory, appear to still be available from DJI ?What about the Mavic Mini? Which is no longer available from DJI.

Mavic Mini is included in the DJI Mini series, Sean. Therefore the said product is also included in the said Law. Hope this helps.Have a nice day ahead.
2023-9-29
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-29 04:30
Mavic Mini is included in the DJI Mini series, Sean. Therefore the said product is also included in the said Law. Hope this helps.Have a nice day ahead.

Thanks for the answer Paladin but unfortunately that is BAD News .
2023-9-29
Use props
Tavus
lvl.2

Germany

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-29 03:55
Hi. Currently, this law is only applicable to the C0 class drones which the DJI Mini 4 Pro is included. The DJI Air 3 belongs to the C1 class. Hope this helps. Thank you for your valued support.

If this stays so i will buy an Mavic 3 Classic and sent my Mini 4 Pro back,120m is ridiculous.
2023-9-29
Use props
AsturianCetorix
lvl.2
Flight distance : 46814 ft
Spain

I think it should be 120m AGM, not from the start point. On the other hand, in recreational use you must keep the drone at sight, so it doesn´t really matters, in EU we drone pilots are criminals flying a 747 filled up with TNT.
2023-9-29
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Japan

AsturianCetorix Posted at 9-29 09:25
I think it should be 120m AGM, not from the start point. On the other hand, in recreational use you must keep the drone at sight, so it doesn´t really matters, in EU we drone pilots are criminals flying a 747 filled up with TNT.

https://www.easa.europa.eu/en/do ... tegory-civil-drones

Its above ground level.

But DJI have no way to measure actual height above ground level.

A 120m cap means it cant ever exceed that distance (but can still be illegal if you fly off a cliff etc)).

The exclusion for over and around obstacles has been removed which is the problem.
2023-9-29
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Japan

Tavus Posted at 9-29 05:16
If this stays so i will buy an Mavic 3 Classic and sent my Mini 4 Pro back,120m is ridiculous.

Its the law.  You're blaming DJI for implementing the technical requirements demanded by the certification standard.

Every class marked C0/C1 drone from 1/1/24 will have that restriction to comply with the requirements.
2023-9-29
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 9-29 04:46
Thanks for the answer Paladin but unfortunately that is BAD News .

You're welcome, Sean. Thank you for your understanding. Have a nice day ahead.,
2023-9-29
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

Yes, and for the Mavic 3 the update will finally come with SDK....  
2023-9-29
Use props
Duncan Gatland
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14518 ft
France

EASA set the requirements.  DJI need to read and understand.

The Rules are set in the EU by EASA.

In particular to this question, the is no mention at all about 120m above take-off level. What the EASA says is....

Article 4 - ‘Open’ category of UAS operations

(e) during flight, the unmanned aircraft is maintained within 120 metres from the closest point of the surface of the earth, except when overflying an obstacle, as specified in Part A of the Annex.

It is "closest point to earth" nowhere does EASA Regulation mention height
2023-10-2
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I get the impression some people are citing different bits of the rules, current OR pending, as befits their position and that they are doing this without looking looking at the 'other' set.
Am I wrong?
2023-10-2
Use props
Geo_Drone
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-27 19:17
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. In accordance with the new European Drone Regulation that will come into effect on 1 January 2024, DJI's Mini 4 Pro will be launched with a C0 class identification label and therefore be restricted to an altitude limit of 120m that cannot be increased to any scenario (https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal- ... ri=CELEX:32019R0945 - ANNEX, Part 1). This measure has been introduced by the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) to allow safe flight operations for drones weighing less than 250 grams. In accordance with the same European Drone Regulation, all other currently-available drones of the DJI Mini series (e.g. Mini 2 SE, Mini 3, Mini 3 Pro) will be restricted to an altitude limit of 120m later this year via a DJI firmware update. Customers of the above-named, currently-available DJI Mini-series drones (before Mini 4 Pro) will be able to apply retroactively for C0 class identification labels in Q4 this year via a process we will share in due course. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Hi Palladin,

Please inform your superiors that the LAW is simple and CLEAR: 120m ABOVE GROUND LEVEL!!! Not Take-Off point, but GROUND LEVEL....
They can read the law in EASA rules that are PUBLIC and FREE TO BE READ !
DJI need to stop making stupid moves that harass all users by imposing rules that are NOT IN LAW !!!

I quote:
Operational restrictions       
No flight expected over uninvolved people (if it happens, overflight should be minimised);
No flight over assemblies of people;
Maintain flight altitude below 120m above ground level.

Any idiot can tell you what means AGL !

Here is the EASA rules and you are free to read the C0 class requests !
https://www.easa.europa.eu/en/do ... tegory-civil-drones
2023-10-9
Use props
Dejan Burja
New
Slovenia

Why all the hate, with non of the drones you can fly above 120m (AGL).
2023-10-10
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

Geo_Drone Posted at 10-9 05:08
Hi Palladin,

Please inform your superiors that the LAW is simple and CLEAR: 120m ABOVE GROUND LEVEL!!! Not Take-Off point, but GROUND LEVEL....

Unfortunately you don't refer to the law.  The link you provide refers to a summary of user obligations.  

Law 2019/945 clearly specifies that C0 = 120m from the take-off point.  DJI made the decision in accordance with this law.
2023-10-10
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-2 11:00
I get the impression some people are citing different bits of the rules, current OR pending, as befits their position and that they are doing this without looking looking at the 'other' set.
Am I wrong?

They do not read the original and complete text of the law.  They are fooled by fragments of information.
2023-10-10
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

Dejan Burja Posted at 10-10 03:32

You can, under specific condition. In the open category the practical case is for inspection of infrastructure taller than 120m.
2023-10-10
Use props
Geo_Drone
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Yes, you legally can, and if you have a terrain that is in angle, sometimes (here a lot of times) you will get at 200m AGL versus home point but 80m AGL versus hoover point as terrain is a hill for example with a strong inclined angle.
This is legal and is also a must, in order to ensure safety of flight.
2023-10-10
Use props
Viharnik
New
Slovenia

Geo_Drone Posted at 10-10 04:33
Yes, you legally can, and if you have a terrain that is in angle, sometimes (here a lot of times) you will get at 200m AGL versus home point but 80m AGL versus hoover point as terrain is a hill for example with a strong inclined angle.
This is legal and is also a must, in order to ensure safety of flight.

I agree...forgot about that

If you have the license (Exam done), why there would be no option to fly with C0 above 120m?
2023-10-10
Use props
Mike from NL
lvl.1
Flight distance : 185187 ft
Netherlands

The problem seems to be that the actual rule about the 120m is contradicting in the different documents... In another post it is very nice depicted: The text on the eu-lex states 120m above take-off point, whereas the EASA site states above ground level. See https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 368&pid=3140765

Put all of this aside, I am curious about this:
Who is responsible for abiding to the law? DJI restricting my device at 120m in any form, would be the same as not allowing my car to drive faster than 130km/h (which is the maximum speedlimit in NL)
If I decide to drive faster, i am responsible for that, thus responsible for paying very high fines if a am speeding. My manufacturer cannot be held responsible for that and should not cap my car.at 130km/h.
I know my speedometer is off a little bit (im driving slower that my speedometer tells me) and that keeps me on the safe side. DJI could do the same with the height information..

I think the warning option, AND the information about my height above take-off point, would be sufficient for me to make an informed choice on my flight altitude. But then it is still MY choice. I am responsible for it.
Curious on the thoughts of DJI on this...
2023-10-10
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

Mike from NL Posted at 10-10 06:41
The problem seems to be that the actual rule about the 120m is contradicting in the different documents... In another post it is very nice depicted: The text on the eu-lex states 120m above take-off point, whereas the EASA site states above ground level. See https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=298368&pid=3140765

"the actual rule about the 120m is contradicting in the different documents"
On users side, the general rule is 120m AGL. In certain cases it is less, close to airports, prisons...
2019/947 EUR-Lex - 32019R0947 - EN - EUR-Lex (europa.eu)
Using the analogy with road rules, this corresponds to the 130km/h limit that you mention.

On manufactuers side, To obtain a C1 label and above, they are required to limit the altitude or clearly inform the user.
There is a special case, that of C0 drones which are small drones <250g, usable without the need to take the online exam. This category C0 and only this one is constrained to 120m from the take-off point.
2019/945 EUR-Lex - 32019R0945 - EN - EUR-Lex (europa.eu)
To use the Road code analogy again, a car without a license is generally limited to 45km/h. And it is not because you have the B license that you are entitled to remove the restriction which limits the speed of the vehicle.

"Who is responsible for abiding to the law?"
It is DJI who, if it wishes to place a drone with the C0 label on the European market, must present a product that complies with the requirements of this category.

"I think the warning option, AND the information about my height above take-off point, would be sufficient for me to make an informed choice on my flight altitude."
This is what is in force for C1 and above. Only C0 is affected by this limitation at 120m from the take-off point.

2023-10-10
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Malaysia

Yes you can.  For various, perfectly legal reasons.
2023-10-11
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Geo_Drone Posted at 10-9 05:08
Hi Palladin,

Thank you for your feedback. We will surely coordinate this with our relevant team for attention. If there are any updates about the said concern, we will keep you posted. Thank you.
2023-10-11
Use props
Balzer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1070256 ft
  • >>>
Germany

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-27 19:17
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. In accordance with the new European Drone Regulation that will come into effect on 1 January 2024, DJI's Mini 4 Pro will be launched with a C0 class identification label and therefore be restricted to an altitude limit of 120m that cannot be increased to any scenario (https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal- ... ri=CELEX:32019R0945 - ANNEX, Part 1). This measure has been introduced by the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) to allow safe flight operations for drones weighing less than 250 grams. In accordance with the same European Drone Regulation, all other currently-available drones of the DJI Mini series (e.g. Mini 2 SE, Mini 3, Mini 3 Pro) will be restricted to an altitude limit of 120m later this year via a DJI firmware update. Customers of the above-named, currently-available DJI Mini-series drones (before Mini 4 Pro) will be able to apply retroactively for C0 class identification labels in Q4 this year via a process we will share in due course. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Will the Mini 4 pro also need a firmware update to reinstate the 120m limit? And will I be able to fly my European mini 4 pro higher than 120m in countries that allow that?
2023-10-11
Use props
r_fly_!
lvl.2
Switzerland

Balzer Posted at 10-11 12:05
Will the Mini 4 pro also need a firmware update to reinstate the 120m limit? And will I be able to fly my European mini 4 pro higher than 120m in countries that allow that?

"Will the Mini 4 pro also need a firmware update to reinstate the 120m limit?" => If someone can give me a clear yes, I'd buy it right away. That limit is just too restricting if you live in a mountainous area.

I guess as of now no one knows for sure. Clarification from DJI on this would be much appreciated.
2023-10-11
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules