4535 63 2023-10-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sam654
lvl.3
Flight distance : 132667 ft

United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 10-31 10:02
Just wanted to correct this.  The drone enters ATTI mode when it loses GPS reception, or it can only secure a low-precision GPS connection.  This prevents the drone from determining its precise location or holding position.  This scenario is what causes the drone to enter ATTI (Altitude Lock Only) mode.  It uses the internal barometer to hold altitude, but the drone will drift with the wind unless in a situation where the Vision System comes into play.

When close to the ground, with sufficient lighting & ground patterning, the downward-facing Vision system steps into action.  It attempts to hold aircraft position via cameras on the bottom of the aircraft.  This is how the bird holds station when flying indoors without GPS.

The GPS, Vision and IR systems all help hold position when available.
But you would think that the compass would be utilised to hold steady yaw.
2023-10-31
Use props
djiuser_QLsoQlTK05TK
lvl.2
Flight distance : 532946 ft
Canada

I did another test.

CALIBRATED EVERYTHING:
- IMU
- Aircraft Compass
- Gimbal
- RC Compass
- RC Control Sticks

- I am taking the timelapse during the DAY TIME, plenty of light.
- GPS Signal is strong (27 satellites)
- Propellers are good
- I am away from cell towers or other interferences
- Wind is low, 13km/h with 23km/h gusts

As you can see the drone drifts, or better yaws by itself left and right.

There is no reason for this, IT SHOULD NOT BE DOING IT.

DJI CUSTOMER SERVICE, there is something wrong here

2023-10-31
Use props
BenHopperVisuals
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1013205 ft
Canada

Glad to hear so many people have this issue. I like others, have spent a ton of time trying to figure this out. It seems like a software issue in M4P. If DJI won’t be fixing this, I’ll be returning my unit as well. It can’t be that a NEWER model of the same series has a serious issue that the previous model does not have. Unacceptable.
2023-10-31
Use props
Prototype_uk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 261112 ft
United Kingdom

BenHopperVisuals Posted at 10-31 14:34
Glad to hear so many people have this issue. I like others, have spent a ton of time trying to figure this out. It seems like a software issue in M4P. If DJI won’t be fixing this, I’ll be returning my unit as well. It can’t be that a NEWER model of the same series has a serious issue that the previous model does not have. Unacceptable.

Agreed it's totally unacceptable. The two drones share the same platform, the body of the craft is almost identical so why can't they make it hold position like the M3P? The fob me off email from them made me return mine for a refund. I'm sure this is something DJI can fix with a software update but seem unwilling to look into it. They haven't commented on here despite our requests for a response. I have been reporting this on other forums to alert others of this issue so this will be hurting sales now. Maybe eventually they will take note.
2023-10-31
Use props
djiuser_QLsoQlTK05TK
lvl.2
Canada

I've been asking a few people on Youtube to do tests and also noticed the issue on some Hyperlapse that ppl posted on YT.
Once you know what to look for the you start noticing it even in Hyperlapses (with the drone in motion).

I'll try to calibrate everything once more and shoot in a different location but this is really disappointing
2023-10-31
Use props
Prototype_uk
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 10-31 10:02
Just wanted to correct this.  The drone enters ATTI mode when it loses GPS reception, or it can only secure a low-precision GPS connection.  This prevents the drone from determining its precise location or holding position.  This scenario is what causes the drone to enter ATTI (Altitude Lock Only) mode.  It uses the internal barometer to hold altitude, but the drone will drift with the wind unless in a situation where the Vision System comes into play.

When close to the ground, with sufficient lighting & ground patterning, the downward-facing Vision system steps into action.  It attempts to hold aircraft position via cameras on the bottom of the aircraft.  This is how the bird holds station when flying indoors without GPS.

Thank you for your detailed reply. I would like to point out that I have had around 27 satellites when this issue of drifting occurs. I totally understand that the Vision system is disabled at night however as I keep pointing out my Mini 3 Pro is stable and does not YAW drift at night or during the day so if DJI can make a M3P stable why can't they with the M4P?
2023-11-1
Use props
Prototype_uk
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-1 06:58
My Mini 4 Pro does not exhibit this issue.  I imagine most don't or we would be reading many more complaints about the problem.  You seem to have tried everything so at this point I would say you unfortunately have a flaky unit.  I would request to send it back for an in-warranty repair or exchange.

Could you kindly post a video of a night hyperlapse taken on your drone so we can compare please?

I have spoken to a lot of people who have this issue so I don't believe it to be an isolated faulty unit. Here is another discussion on Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/dji/com ... rifting_hyperlapse/
2023-11-1
Use props
ZTurtleStudio
lvl.2
Canada

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-1 06:58
My Mini 4 Pro does not exhibit this issue.  I imagine most don't or we would be reading many more complaints about the problem.  You seem to have tried everything so at this point I would say you unfortunately have a flaky unit.  I would request to send it back for an in-warranty repair or exchange.

I really hope you are correct. I dung a bit in YouTube and noticed the same issue in all the Timelapses (hoovering in place) and most Hyperlapses (drone travelling) I could find.
Most people take videos with the drone moving or pictures, this issue is clearly visible with Timelapses which is less common.

I did another test today.
After reading through the DJI Help pages, to make sure I was doing everything correctly.
I went outside, away from EMF interference to make sure all the calibrations are well done.
- IMU Calibration
- M4P Compass Calibration
- RC2 Compass Calibration.

I the shot 2 timelapses low to the ground in plenty of daylight.
There was a bit of wind. 19kmh with 35kmh gusts.

As you can see the problem didn't improve.

At this point I'll contact support for the warranty.
2.6m from the ground

6.7m from the ground

Screen Reording

2023-11-1
Use props
Prototype_uk
lvl.3
United Kingdom

ZTurtleStudio Posted at 11-1 08:40
I really hope you are correct. I dung a bit in YouTube and noticed the same issue in all the Timelapses (hoovering in place) and most Hyperlapses (drone travelling) I could find.
Most people take videos with the drone moving or pictures, this issue is clearly visible with Timelapses which is less common.

To be honest this doesn't look too bad. You are getting side to side movement rather than rotation (YAW) Also with objects so close you will see every tiny movement. You should try a hyperlapse at 30-50 meters and see what the results are.
2023-11-1
Use props
ZTurtleStudio
lvl.2
Canada

Prototype_uk Posted at 11-1 09:17
To be honest this doesn't look too bad. You are getting side to side movement rather than rotation (YAW) Also with objects so close you will see every tiny movement. You should try a hyperlapse at 30-50 meters and see what the results are.

I'll wait for a day without wind, factory reset the aircraft and RC2 and try again before sending it up for warranty.
We'll see how it goes
2023-11-1
Use props
ZTurtleStudio
lvl.2
Canada

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-1 15:15
I see now that there are two separate issues contained within this thread.  When I said my Mini 4 Pro does not do this I was referring to the slow rotation (yaw drift) when it should be holding in place.  Mine does not do this.  As for Hyperlapses, I have never taken one with my Mini 4 (or my Mini 3 Pro for that matter), so I don't know how that would work out?  I'll try one next time I am out flying.  Today there are 20 mph winds with higher gusts so not today.  LOL

It's actually the same issue, it just becomes really evident in timelapses with the drone hovering in place.
Mine yaws left and right when I just let it hover in place. At night goes completely nuts, it rotates a lot, during the day it does it less but still annoying.
@Dirty Bird, maybe Just try hovering and see how it behaves, obviously in a low wind day
2023-11-2
Use props
Bram81
lvl.2
Flight distance : 931755 ft
Belgium

Dirty Bird Posted at 2023-11-2 06:08
I have never noticed any but I will test it this evening after the sun sets & report back.
Have you done some testing yet ?

I noticed the same drifting during hyperlapse on my brand new M4P. I have done a lot of huperlapse on my Mavic 3 and never had issuses like this. I even did a lot of hyperlapse with my old mini 2 (using litchi waypoints) and the results are a lot smoother, compared to the M4P ... It is also possible that the image stabilisation is not working properly when de mini 4 drone is creating the video ...

I am a bit dissapointed at this point, since I use this feature a lot on my drones ...   
1-3 00:41
Use props
cyan
Ban Posts
Flight distance : 202326 ft
United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
1-6 22:06
Use props
Nexus Redux
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7878520 ft
  • >>>
Austria

I have the same issue! lots of yawing to the left and right (did course lock). i calibrated everything: IMU, Aircraft Compass, Gimbal, RC Compass, RC Control Sticks

It occured both especially at night, almost evrytime. I had lots of GPS connections, 27), wind was low, height 30m (so not in ground sensor range), My mini 3 doesnt do that!!! What is wrong here? I can see this thread is long and lots of pilots face the same issue, especially at night. DJI obviously never responded to this thread.

DJI, what is this? The hyperlapse function is quite useless with this yawing issue!!!
2-4 01:39
Use props
Rosewell Flyer
lvl.2

United States

Same problem here.
2-5 02:00
Use props
Nexus Redux
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

i did now a series of tests, and now it is clear to me: the yaw effect has to do with the night hours, as soon as the sensors say its too dark, the drone starts to yaw to the left and right during hyperlapse - regardless if u do i.e. course lock or waypoints. tested on good days with no wind, everything calibrated before and i was high enough as well (30 meters AGL - below 10 meters the ground seonsors could affect the drone).

i even had today the opportunity to fly a long hypperlapse during sunset: the first half of the hyperlapse the sensors had enough light, second half of the hyperlapse flight it was geting too dark for the sensors and the symbol started to get red (in the upper rightside corner): as soon as it was getting too dark (symbol red), the drone started to yaw from left to the right - during the same hyperlapse flight. but it always kept the exact altitude - no change there.

the mini3 pro doesnt do this, tested it with my neigbour (bought my mini 3 pro) and it was flying stable. this is now really interesting what this is. DJI?
2-9 09:50
Use props
Nexus Redux
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

DJI Paladin Posted at 2023-10-4 16:56
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Can you please try to fly to a different location to see if the issue persists? Also, before flying, ensure that you calibrate the remote controller and the IMU and check if there are any changes. Please keep us posted. Thank you.

As a lot of pilots face this severe issue with huge drifting of the mini 4 pro, not only in hyperlapse, i wonder if DJI is aware of this and working on a solution - besides the typical did-you-calibrate- everything answer. yes, we did. the mini 4 pro has a definte drifting issue, which i.e. the mini 3 pro didnt have. there are already lost of youtube videos about this and lots of threads in other drone forums.
3-5 08:17
Use props
Frank071
lvl.4
Flight distance : 128586 ft
Netherlands

Nexus Redux Posted at 2-9 09:50
i did now a series of tests, and now it is clear to me: the yaw effect has to do with the night hours, as soon as the sensors say its too dark, the drone starts to yaw to the left and right during hyperlapse - regardless if u do i.e. course lock or waypoints. tested on good days with no wind, everything calibrated before and i was high enough as well (30 meters AGL - below 10 meters the ground seonsors could affect the drone).

i even had today the opportunity to fly a long hypperlapse during sunset: the first half of the hyperlapse the sensors had enough light, second half of the hyperlapse flight it was geting too dark for the sensors and the symbol started to get red (in the upper rightside corner): as soon as it was getting too dark (symbol red), the drone started to yaw from left to the right - during the same hyperlapse flight. but it always kept the exact altitude - no change there.

This thread slipped my attention, so a bit late... Did you try what happens in low light conditions with different OA settings (bypass, brake and completely switched off)? Does the M4P then drift as well?
3-6 00:55
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Nexus Redux Posted at 3-5 08:17
As a lot of pilots face this severe issue with huge drifting of the mini 4 pro, not only in hyperlapse, i wonder if DJI is aware of this and working on a solution - besides the typical did-you-calibrate- everything answer. yes, we did. the mini 4 pro has a definte drifting issue, which i.e. the mini 3 pro didnt have. there are already lost of youtube videos about this and lots of threads in other drone forums.

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the trouble. Kindly please follow the troubleshooting steps below and check if the issue persists:

1. Ensure that the aircraft mode is normal, i.e., the GPS signal is strong and the aircraft is in non-ATTI mode.
2. Please try moving to a different location with a windless flight environment to test.
3. Check the propellers and the state of the motors. Check whether any motor rotates abnormally when the propellers are not mounted.
4. Confirm that there is no magnetic interference. It is recommended to place the aircraft on level ground for IMU calibration and compass calibration.
5. Check whether the control stick is being pushed. If the stick movement is offset, the remote controller should be calibrated.
6. You may upload a short video showing the issue so we can check it further.
3-6 23:55
Use props
Michas
lvl.2
Flight distance : 199846 ft
Poland

I have the same thing. When hovering, it rotates to the left or right, in addition, when given a straight flight, it deviates to the right. At night the effect is compounded. The second piece, with the first was the same.
4-23 12:22
Use props
travelmate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 414865 ft
Bulgaria

For the hyperlapses, a guy on youtube found a solution to the problem, setiing the WB manually solves it. Strange, but acc to him works, just set the WB manually, not "auto" and the drone is as nailed in the air
4-23 20:04
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Michas Posted at 4-23 12:22
I have the same thing. When hovering, it rotates to the left or right, in addition, when given a straight flight, it deviates to the right. At night the effect is compounded. The second piece, with the first was the same.

Hi, Michas. Sorry about the trouble. Please follow DJI Paladin's suggestion above in reply 59#. If the issue persists, please show us a video for further checking. Thank you.
4-23 21:16
Use props
Michas
lvl.2
Flight distance : 199846 ft
Poland

Hi DJI Tony
Example one

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogV ... NJ6J09UQ1D04XW9ZG8V

Example two
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogV ... MVG92DS60PAVZ07FFJ5

In all cases I try to fly straight ( straight to the pole ), what is the effect - you can see.

I do not want to attack anyone. I understand that the device has some kind of standard regarding drifting horizontally in place, that in the evening or at night the VPS does not work, that I fly over water or grass. Maybe if it weren't for the grid lines or magnification it would be harder to see. But this is flying straight ahead, during the day, in windless weather. Why the GPS or compass. Is this behavior normal?
4-28 04:42
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Michas Posted at 4-28 04:42
Hi DJI Tony
Example one
https://vimeo.com/940389716?share=copy

Hi, Michas. Thank you for the update. I sent this concern to the relevant team to confirm if this is normal. I will get back to you with an update. We appreciate your patience.
4-30 03:01
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules