Osmo Action 4 Battery Draining when off?
1788 21 2023-10-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_qJj3DnMF2TcW
lvl.1
United States

Hello Forum!

Anyone else having issues with their Action 4 randomly draining the battery? I purchased the pack with the battery charging case with 3 batteries, and all of the batteries experience the same sort of drain where if the Action 4 isn't being used, the battery drains over the course of a day or so.

I'm on the most recent firmware (as of 10/7/2023), and it's fairly consistent with all of the batteries - I wonder if I'm putting the camera into a "standby" mode in lieu of a completely off mode? Is the camera supposed to do this as a function of the quick turn-on ability? Any help that could be provided would be great. Thanks!

2023-10-7
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, djiuser_qJj3DnMF2TcW. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the inconvenience. Can you please confirm the specific time and battery level, for example, if you turn off the product and not use it for 24 hours, and then turn on the product? How much power (battery level) will be reduced? Please try to test and then give us the test result so that we can confirm if it's under the normal range. Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2023-10-8
Use props
djiuser_qJj3DnMF2TcW
lvl.1
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 10-8 07:28
Hi, djiuser_qJj3DnMF2TcW. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the inconvenience. Can you please confirm the specific time and battery level, for example, if you turn off the product and not use it for 24 hours, and then turn on the product? How much power (battery level) will be reduced? Please try to test and then give us the test result so that we can confirm if it's under the normal range. Please keep us posted. Thank you.

Certainly! I will try to update here once I have a few tests done.

At the moment, it seems that if you do not turn on the device after swapping batteries, it'll keep at 100%, but as soon as it's power cycled, the trickle drain begins? The following are just turning on the device to get the battery level, and then turning off (no recording, etc.)

Day 1:
6:00 PM - > 100%
9:00 PM -> 99%
10:14 PM -> 97%
11:00 PM -> 95%
12:23 AM -> 92%

Day 2:
9:22 AM -> 91%
10:42AM -> 90%
12:24PM - > 89%
2:40PM -> 88%
3:52PM -> 86%
6:33pm -> 85%

Data for Drain

Data for Drain
2023-10-9
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

djiuser_qJj3DnMF2TcW Posted at 10-9 06:27
Certainly! I will try to update here once I have a few tests done.

At the moment, it seems that if you do not turn on the device after swapping batteries, it'll keep at 100%, but as soon as it's power cycled, the trickle drain begins? The following are just turning on the device to get the battery level, and then turning off (no recording, etc.)

Thank you for the detailed information, djiuser_qJj3DnMF2TcW. We will forward this to our relevant team for further checking. We'll let you know once we receive an update.
2023-10-13
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44281716 ft
  • >>>
United States

Having same issue   
2023-10-13
Use props
djiuser_qJj3DnMF2TcW
lvl.1
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 10-13 07:45
Thank you for the detailed information, djiuser_qJj3DnMF2TcW. We will forward this to our relevant team for further checking. We'll let you know once we receive an update.

Hell DJI Gamora,

Interesting new development from my end; when I had connected the camera to the computer and used it as a webcam, it would work and charge, but after I was done using the osmo 4, I had turned off the camera and disconnected (around 10am at 70%).

later today at 8pm, I turned on and noticed that the battery had reduced to 48% in the same day.

I wonder if there's some sort of bug if the camera detects it's connected to a computer? The last time this happened, I believe I may have also had been charging via a computer's usb (the previous tests were done after swapping in a fresh battery from the battery charging case).
2023-10-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

t

djiuser_qJj3DnMF2TcW Posted at 10-19 17:07
Hell DJI Gamora,

Interesting new development from my end; when I had connected the camera to the computer and used it as a webcam, it would work and charge, but after I was done using the osmo 4, I had turned off the camera and disconnected (around 10am at 70%).

Hi, djiuser_qJj3DnMF2TcW. Thank you for this additional information. Let me forward them to our relevant team as well.
2023-10-21
Use props
Ronnie.Choy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1261211 ft
Singapore

I experienced the same situation too. The battery inserted into the Action 4 will slowly drain off even though the camera is not turned on.
2023-11-7
Use props
djiuser_vSyVsemsAoMi
New

Netherlands

Hello. After a last update i have the same problem. My dji was going days off use and the battery was always at 100 %. Now after few days whiteout use is the battery totally dead. I choose specific for a dji over a go pro cause of this issue and now the dji has a same problem. Olso i used one battery for a all day of walking and filming having the dji connected to my phone. Now  i have to take all 3 batteries whit me cause they are drained in no time. My dji is after updating olso getting hotter all the time. Please fix this. All the problems made by the last update
2023-12-29
Use props
ferchtenix
New

Germany

Hello DJI Gamora,
has this issue been sorted? It seems to be widespread.
My battery discharges by 20-25% per day if left in the camera.
Have you done any testing on your end?
Would there be a firmware update in the near future?
Would it help to reset the camera to factory settings?
Any help is much appreciated.
3-5 06:22
Use props
djiuser_jTMkIKF9hqdu
New
Greece

.product dow not word as p

same problem with brand new camera, is there any solution ?otherwise  i would like to return the product because of that problem ,this is manufacturer error . product does not work as advertised.
4-11 23:36
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

djiuser_jTMkIKF9hqdu Posted at 4-11 23:36
same problem with brand new camera, is there any solution ?otherwise  i would like to return the product because of that problem ,this is manufacturer error . product does not work as advertised.

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the trouble. May I ask what specific DJI product you are using? Also, please confirm how much battery percentage is lost when turned off. Please provide us with the full details so we can further investigate the issue. Please keep us posted.
4-13 01:00
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-13 01:00
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the trouble. May I ask what specific DJI product you are using? Also, please confirm how much battery percentage is lost when turned off. Please provide us with the full details so we can further investigate the issue. Please keep us posted.

Hi Paladin, are these batteries like the drone batteries where they have to drain, if these batteries do not have to auto drain perhaps the FW has been set to do it anyway?

FYI, I had to use my Action 4 earlier today so I put all 3 batteries on charge 2 days day prior (12/04/24), they were already pre-charged to 100% after I last used them, I didn't check the power level before putting them on to charge, but all 3 stated 100% after being on charge for only a few minutes. I have literally just checked all 3 batteries, 2 of which I didn't have to use and they all state 100%, therefore, I do not have this draining issue with my Action 4 from what i can tell.
4-13 13:56
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Bashy Posted at 4-13 13:56
Hi Paladin, are these batteries like the drone batteries where they have to drain, if these batteries do not have to auto drain perhaps the FW has been set to do it anyway?

FYI, I had to use my Action 4 earlier today so I put all 3 batteries on charge 2 days day prior (12/04/24), they were already pre-charged to 100% after I last used them, I didn't check the power level before putting them on to charge, but all 3 stated 100% after being on charge for only a few minutes. I have literally just checked all 3 batteries, 2 of which I didn't have to use and they all state 100%, therefore, I do not have this draining issue with my Action 4 from what i can tell.

Hello, Bashy. Thank you for reaching out. The Osmo Action 4 batteries are different from the drone batteries as it is not equipped with a discharging feature. We can only confirm this issue by further investigation using the information given by the cx who experienced this issue. If you have other inquiries or concerns, feel free to contact us. We appreciate your valued support, Bashy. Have a nice day!
4-14 20:18
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-14 20:18
Hello, Bashy. Thank you for reaching out. The Osmo Action 4 batteries are different from the drone batteries as it is not equipped with a discharging feature. We can only confirm this issue by further investigation using the information given by the cx who experienced this issue. If you have other inquiries or concerns, feel free to contact us. We appreciate your valued support, Bashy. Have a nice day!

Thanks for confirming
4-14 20:39
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Bashy Posted at 4-14 20:39
Thanks for confirming

You are very much welcome, Bashy. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have other inquiries. Happy filming!
4-17 23:12
Use props
DrNoD
New
Germany

I have the same problem.

If i don't remove the battery from the camera, they are drained till next day. (Camera off)

4-19 15:21
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

DrNoD Posted at 4-19 15:21
I have the same problem.

If i don't remove the battery from the camera, they are drained till next day. (Camera off)

Hi there, DrNoD. We do apologize for the inconvenience caused by this issue. Please confirm what specific DJI product you are using so we can check it further. Also, how many batteries do you own that have the same issue? We will wait for your response. Thank you for your cooperation.
4-19 20:26
Use props
djiuser_jTMkIKF9hqdu
New
Greece

hi the camera is osmo action 4 ... After charging to 100%, if I don't take any videos or photos, it remains at 100%.... but If I record a video, even a small one for a few seconds and then turn the camera off, the baterry  starts to drain about 4% every hour...
4-29 10:54
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

djiuser_jTMkIKF9hqdu Posted at 4-29 10:54
hi the camera is osmo action 4 ... After charging to 100%, if I don't take any videos or photos, it remains at 100%.... but If I record a video, even a small one for a few seconds and then turn the camera off, the baterry  starts to drain about 4% every hour...

Thank you for your response. Please note that the operating time of the DJI Osmo Action 4 will depend on the recording resolution also the stabilization used. The 160 minutes’ operating/shooting time displayed on the official website is measured in a laboratory environment where the temperature is 25°C, the video resolution is 1080p/30fps, the Wi-Fi is turned off, Scrn Off When the Rec function is on, and the stabilization function is turned off. The official website operating time is only for reference, and it will be different in the actual use environment. In addition, the DJI Osmo ACtion 4 is equipped with an Auto Power off feature, you may set it by sliding down and then clicking "System Settings > Auto Power off " from the main page. The  Auto Power off duration can be set to 30 seconds, 1min, 2 min, 5 min, 10 min, and 30 min. Hope this clarifies your query.
5-2 20:47
Use props
djiuser_jTMkIKF9hqdu
New
Greece

DJI Paladin Posted at 5-2 20:47
Thank you for your response. Please note that the operating time of the DJI Osmo Action 4 will depend on the recording resolution also the stabilization used. The 160 minutes’ operating/shooting time displayed on the official website is measured in a laboratory environment where the temperature is 25°C, the video resolution is 1080p/30fps, the Wi-Fi is turned off, Scrn Off When the Rec function is on, and the stabilization function is turned off. The official website operating time is only for reference, and it will be different in the actual use environment. In addition, the DJI Osmo ACtion 4 is equipped with an Auto Power off feature, you may set it by sliding down and then clicking "System Settings > Auto Power off " from the main page. The  Auto Power off duration can be set to 30 seconds, 1min, 2 min, 5 min, 10 min, and 30 min. Hope this clarifies your query.

i think you did not understand my post... really very DISAPOINTING answer from you... i mentioned in my post that when i record a video , even a small video of 10 seconds and AFTER THAT I TURN THE CAMERA COMPLETE OFF , THE BATERRY DRAINS 4% every hour even IF I DONT USE THE CAMERA ANYMORE..... your answer is out of context... if i knew about that issue before i would have bought gopro...
5-4 01:00
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

djiuser_jTMkIKF9hqdu Posted at 5-4 01:00
i think you did not understand my post... really very DISAPOINTING answer from you... i mentioned in my post that when i record a video , even a small video of 10 seconds and AFTER THAT I TURN THE CAMERA COMPLETE OFF , THE BATERRY DRAINS 4% every hour even IF I DONT USE THE CAMERA ANYMORE..... your answer is out of context... if i knew about that issue before i would have bought gopro...

We totally understand your frustration. In this case,  I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis. You can contact our support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support . Also, the warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment including the warranty period of your unit. Thank you for your understanding and support.
5-6 01:29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules