Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JJungPhoto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 946362 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi,

I'm curious if charging batteries from a vehicle is at all possible. I'm just imagining being on road trips with the drone (without a generator, if say I'm at a destination I had to fly to)
What's going to be the best solution to get these batteries charged up when not at the hotel or a restaurant but out in the field?
2023-10-14
Use props
wa.jesse07
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4686545 ft
United States

Get one of those huge AC powerbanks.
2023-10-14
Use props
JJungPhoto
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

wa.jesse07 Posted at 10-14 17:46
Get one of those huge AC powerbanks.

Which one? What could support these TB51?

Could they be brought on a plane?
2023-10-14
Use props
Josephsmith
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

JJungPhoto Posted at 10-14 19:00
Which one? What could support these TB51?

Could they be brought on a plane?

The power station cannot be brought on a plane because it exceeds 100watts.  I always rent a youth hostel or cheap hotel in the area for 50-100 bucks just to charge my batteries and upload the footage from the limited 1tb ssd cards on the drone
2023-10-16
Use props
nevets348
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3246076 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You can certainly can charge batteries in the car, however, you will require a 12V inverter that changes the DC current of a car to AC for the charger. Something like 500W+ inverter will do the trick. This is something that I've actively doing if I need to charge things that can't be done so via USB C.
2023-10-26
Use props
JJungPhoto
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

nevets348 Posted at 10-26 23:39
You can certainly can charge batteries in the car, however, you will require a 12V inverter that changes the DC current of a car to AC for the charger. Something like 500W+ inverter will do the trick. This is something that I've actively doing if I need to charge things that can't be done so via USB C.

Ok awesome! Great to know!
2023-10-27
Use props
rogiervdheide
lvl.4
Liechtenstein

Yes it is possible. You can get the DJI car charger https://store.dji.com/li/product/inspire-2-car-charger?vid=22801.
You can also get a power station such as an Ecoflow that you charge at home and use in the car. They come in massive capacities. I find it more practical as they have a number of mains outlets and you can connect other things to it.
2023-10-28
Use props
rogiervdheide
lvl.4
Liechtenstein

nevets348 Posted at 10-26 23:39

There is a DJI car charger, no inverter needed.
2023-10-28
Use props
fans98d63e0a
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thinking Portable chargers…place in trunk.  Trying to figure out the watts thing.  Jim, Area51drones Las Vegas.
2023-10-28
Use props
Coyut
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2559222 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

rogiervdheide Posted at 10-28 08:46
There is a DJI car charger, no inverter needed.

Only if you got limitless time. The dji car chargers are very, very slow and don't forget you need to charge 2 batteries to do a single flight...
An option is to build a second car battery in the car and use a inverter directly from it.

Why use a second battery and not plug a inverter into a 12v outlet or directly to the main battery?
First of all most 12v lines in the car are not buily for high voltage transfer. So you could kill the safety fuse or even melt the wiring (speaking from experienec ;). Without a second battery and protection circuit you also risk to empty the cars main battery, which can leave you with a non working car somewhere in the wild. If your car has automatic transmission you will then not be able to push start your car.

Real production options:

- Buy or rent the TB51 batteries you need for the job done
- Get a generator with a stabilized Synus curve (cheap generators can kill your charging device. (only stationarly loading without driving. Noise might disturb the production space)
- Get a decent car charging setup with a second car battery (Can not charge while driving)
- Get a large powerbank that will help you trough the job (Can charge while driving)  
- Plan a nearby place where you can charge batteries and buy enough chargers to get you the needed batteries in time (Hotels, airBnB, restaurants. Needs more planning).  
2023-10-30
Use props
rogiervdheide
lvl.4
Liechtenstein

Coyut Posted at 10-30 05:16
Only if you got limitless time. The dji car chargers are very, very slow and don't forget you need to charge 2 batteries to do a single flight...
An option is to build a second car battery in the car and use a inverter directly from it.

All great input, thanks for sharing! I use an Ecoflow power station and charge my batteries just as fast as charging them connected to mains. It works great but it costs about US$2000
2023-11-1
Use props
Josephsmith
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

rogiervdheide Posted at 11-1 06:02
All great input, thanks for sharing! I use an Ecoflow power station and charge my batteries just as fast as charging them connected to mains. It works great but it costs about US$2000

That's cheaper then buying 4 more DJI TB51 batteries.

Which model did you get and how many watts does that power bank have?

Ideally I3 owners are going to need a power bank with at least 2000Watts to charge two intelligent battery power stations along with two controllers

Is it really noisy?  It's not gas powered is it?
2023-11-8
Use props
Josephsmith
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Josephsmith Posted at 11-8 10:58
That's cheaper then buying 4 more DJI TB51 batteries.

Which model did you get and how many watts does that power bank have?

Never mind I found it,

EcoFlow DELTA Max 2000 Portable Power Station 2016Wh Capacity,Solar Generator 2400W AC Output for Outdoor Camping,Home Backup,Emergency,RV,off-Grid

Excellent!

If anyone else has tried a different brand and recommend it or not pls share.
2023-11-8
Use props
Fines Aerial
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17269813 ft
  • >>>
United States

Josephsmith Posted at 11-8 11:29
Never mind I found it,

EcoFlow DELTA Max 2000 Portable Power Station 2016Wh Capacity,Solar Generator 2400W AC Output for Outdoor Camping,Home Backup,Emergency,RV,off-Grid

I use the Jackery 3000 Pro power station.

It lets me fly all day with both the m300 and Inspire 3 batteries.

I didn't mention it as you can't take it on a plane for travel, but if you are car based it works very well.
Don't buy it full price - it regularly comes on sale for 25% off.
2023-11-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules