Where are the underwater filters?
2371 10 2023-10-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MavUser99
lvl.1
United States

What are my options for red or purple underwater filters for the Action 4 camera?  Either on the camera itself or the dive housing.
Thanks,
S

2023-10-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, MavUser99. Thank you for reaching out. Currently, here are the filters that we have for Action 4:

Osmo Action ND4 Filter × 1
Osmo Action ND8 Filter × 1
Osmo Action ND16 Filter × 1
Osmo Action ND32 Filter × 1
Order Link: https://store.dji.com/product/os ... lt=15&vid=84351

These four types of filters covered with an anti-fingerprint coating fully meet your demands for shooting in various lighting scenarios. These filters reduce the amount of light that enters a camera’s lens, making it easier to get the perfect shot in bright conditions. The knurled knob of the filter allows you to attach it seamlessly to the lens.

If this does not suit your needs, hopefully, other users can provide their suggestions.
2023-10-19
Use props
MavUser99
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for responding.

Those are not red filters for underwater.  Of course they're not going to work.

Why would you manufacture an underwater dive housing for the Action 4 camera, but not offer a corresponding red filter you need to use it?

Glad I caught this before purchasing.

2023-10-19
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

AutoWB on OA3/OA4 is made for underwater, but if you want to totally get rid of the blue tint just adjust in post or WB in camera.
2023-10-19
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
China

red filters absorb blue&green lights and surpass red lights,
which helps with balance missing red underwater  by reducing blue& green lights.
It works by sacrificing in coming lights to action camera sensor.

Action4 automatically adjust white balance by tune all kinds of color. technically action4 shall achieve better results because no more lights is blocked by glass.

2023-10-19
Use props
MavUser99
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for your responses.

So, the Action4 Auto White Balance will automatically fill in what's missing?  Reds at 30' and Greens deeper?  If that's the case, you wouldn't need a Red filter (or Red + Green for deeper).
Sounds like you can manually make those color adjustments when you're in the water?  Is that possible?

Thanks again for your help.

2023-10-20
Use props
Reiner.
lvl.4
Germany

MavUser99 Posted at 10-20 09:28
Thanks for your responses.

So, the Action4 Auto White Balance will automatically fill in what's missing?  Reds at 30' and Greens deeper?  If that's the case, you wouldn't need a Red filter (or Red + Green for deeper).

Filters will not fill in what is not there. And a red filter usually reduces light by 2 stops, ISO 1600 instead of ISO400 e.g.
Look at my video linked in the thread Scuba diving with the OA4 somewhere below. All done without filter and White Balance done in post. In some scenes I used a lamp at deeper depth (>15m) for macro like nudibranches.
And in the same thread at the end, see the discussion about auto White Balance. In short: don't use.

2023-10-20
Use props
andywillett
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I made a flip holder for 67mm filters or close up leans for my Osmo 4
2-19 15:03
Use props
andywillett
lvl.2
United Kingdom

2-19 15:04